[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The hype for Sonic Mania has made me go back to play the original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: sonic 1.png (80KB, 1280x961px) Image search: [Google]
sonic 1.png
80KB, 1280x961px
The hype for Sonic Mania has made me go back to play the original games again. Before I used to dislike Sonic 1 and adored Sonic 3 to death, but I find now that I like Sonic 1's Japanese comic style more than Sonic 2 and 3's western style. It's visually very appealing. Despite the saturated use of Green Hill Zone recently, I have started to like the aesthetics of the level in Sonic 1, as well as Sonic Mania.
>>
For me it was always

1 = 2 > 3

3 just never appealed to me as much, Sonic 1 is pretty much underrated everywhere imo
>>
The Japanese made only games like 1, CD, and Chaotix always had a lot a brighter, colorful, and more abstract style. I like them a lot.

Although I'm not against the style 3 goes for either because it fits the setting of a tropical island.
>>
The aesthetics of the first three games are extremely consistent and beautiful.

Sonic 3's move to a grittier, more detail focused art style wouldn't fit the musical stylings of the prior two games, so it's lucky it sounds as different as it does. It's still the best game, but it comes off as more grounded in reality and i like that less.
>>
>>380539923
YOU CANNOT FOOL US
>>
>>380539923
Who cares what you think about sonic you fat retard
>>
>>380541505
>"Stop talking about a video game on a video game board because it conflicts with my off topic shitposting"
>>
>>380539923
>>380540730
3&K was completely Japanese, except for the OST. How is this not common knowledge yet?
>>
>>380541925
Wasn't Sonic 3&K developed at SEGA Technical Institute in America though? I could be wrong, but I do remember hearing somewhere that Technical Institute were involved with 3's production.
>>
>>380539923
I also really, really like 1 and CD for that reason. There's a Sonic 1 promotional manga which is fucking adorable.
>>
>>380539923
>Sonic 2 and 3's western style
Kill yourself
None of these were western

Sonic 2 had american staff working on it but it's still japanese. Sonic 3&K was made with only Japanese Staff(Sonic Team exclusively worked with the Jap branch of Sega Technical Institute after the language barrier problems they had with Sonic 2)
>>
>>380540730
I wish this fucking meme would stop
3 WAS a Japanese-only game
http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3

>Fresh from the intense creation of the second game, Yuji Naka at first hit the same hesitation that he had when approached with Sonic 2, not wanting to simply work on the same game over and over again. He finally agreed to be a part of the project if he was allowed to work primarily with the Japanese-half of STI, hoping to avoid much of the drama that resulted during the last game because of the differences between the Japanese and American work culture. Also fishing for a promotion, Sega decided to give in to Naka's demands, knowing how important the game was and its almost assured success. Giving him the title of Producer, Naka was granted the freedom he had been looking for, once again embraced into the staff of Sega of Japan. Not wanting to leave the American side of STI in the dust, Sega gave them a separate Sonic the Hedgehog-related project to work on that would fill in a gap in scheduling between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball.

1 wasn't that colorful compared to CD/Chaotix ad the CD/Chaotix team is the "Naoto Oshima B Team" which had way different staff
>>
>>380542202
Read this and shut up
>>380542605
>>
>>380542202
2: half Japanese (premise, game design, music, lead programming, tails) half STI (art, level design, code monkeying).
Developed in America.

3: full on Japanese, 80% music done by JP, rest by Americans (including Brad Buxer), supposedly the original OST was 100% MJ.
Also developed in America.
>>
>>380542930
>full on Japanese, 80% music done by JP, rest by Americans (including Brad Buxer), supposedly the original OST was 100% MJ.Also developed in America.
This is fan theory. We don't know how much music they did.

In an article one of MJ's friends said that they did like 40+ tracks. Maybe most of them weren't used but then again I've heard a theory that Sega's sound team finished MJ's work(and who knows maybe they just took a bunch of his work and changed it enough to avoid lawsuits)

Even Roger Hector once claimed that MJ made this "amazing soundtrack that fit each world so perfectly" but that they "had to toss them away due to the 1993 scandal"

We'll never know the full story because Sega refuses to talk about it though
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.