/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question /v/, should I fork over $2520 for a tutor that'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: azusa-thinking.jpg (185KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
azusa-thinking.jpg
185KB, 2560x1600px
Question /v/, should I fork over $2520 for a tutor that'll teach me Japanese? I want to learn for playing Japanese games and anime/manga. I'm a consumerist trash whore I know. If this is retarded, let me know, and if there are better ways I can learn, let me know too.
>>
Or you could just torrent Genki 1-2 for free and have some fucking self control and discipline to go through with it solo.
>>
>>380463135
learning japanese yourself is easy IF you have the mental fortitude to suffer through thousands of kanji first before being able to read anything comfortably
>>
>>380463135
Most tutors would focus on making you talk japanese, which is completely useless for gaming.
>>
>>380463135
Anon, you're not a brainlet, are you? Try challenging yourself for once in your life.
>>
>>380463598
Most people don't, which is why JP is considered a hard language to learn, even though it's not that hard if you learn the kanji and get enough exposure to native language.
>>
I teach meself how to english
You can teach youself how japenese
>>
>>380463697
I'd specifically tell them that I want to learn written Japanese
>>
>>380463135
With that money, you can buy yourself a truck or car
I know I would

Just learn on your own, maybe get a buddy to study with
>>
>>380463598
But kanji is the easiest part after the alphabet. If you can't learn the joyo kanji in a couple months you're either retarded or have no willpower.
>>
>>380464308
You would spend most of the time self studying anyway.
Tutors are for conversation practice.

Having a tutor stand next to you while you're grinding kanji and vocab won't help you.
>>
>>380463598
>suffer through thousands of kanji
Nigga just brute force it grind through vocabulary and learn grammar, if there's anything the human race is known for it's for forcing itself through shit until they achieve it.
>>
>>380464473
Don't agree. Unless you can sit 4-5 hours a day doing it, which is not the average definition of willpower in my book.
>>
Both /jp/ and /int/ have a Daily Japanese Thread (/djt/), with some guides. It isnt really hard and i strongly recommend, for any language, to learn some basic vocabulary by yourself before going head on grammar.
>>
>>380464479
Wouldn't the tutor help me grind for the kanji and vocab?
>>
>>380465046
How? By telling you to learn these 100 words? You can do that alone.

When it comes to reading the only help would be clarifying grammar points if you don't get something. Just read something like Genki or DOJG and ask in a thread if you don't get something.
>>
>>380463598
Kanji being hard is way overstated, I avoided commiting myself to properly learning it in the 4 years I've lived in Japan going through University thus far and I write academic papers in Japanese easy enough. Learn the basics, study the most common kanji and learn the rest through gradual memorization and experience through exposure (e.g. games, manga, novels or whatever).
>>
I want to do all sorts of lewd things to Azusa
>>
>>380465479
Nigga living in the country is easy mode language learning, it doesn't really count.
>>
>>380465237
>Don't get professional help, just ask NEETs on here
Never become a teacher, or any position of power, please.
>>
>$2520
I say learning a language is a great thing to spend your time doing, and that's not a fortune. Go for it, moefag
>>
>>380463598
This. I took 4 years of Japanese in Highschool, and I still couldn't read anything worth a damn because of all the kanji we didn't learn, even though we were taught hundreds.
>>
>>380465904
Don't pay $2000 for professional help when there are hundreds of eager weebs on 4chan who will happily explain you basic grammar concepts.
>>
I dont know jap, so mily advice might be useless, but heres how i think it goes:
>Learn those 2 "alphabets", so you know what the basic words sound like.
>Pick a dictionary
>Pick an untranslated work you like
>Use the dictionary to translate all words you see and all kanji
>Repeat for a few years till you are good with it.
Thats how i learned English, except for the alphabet part. My native language already covered that.
>>
>>380463135
There are certainly cheaper options. Why don't you just go to a language School. I do that and it's certainly cheaper.
>>
>>380466453
You forgot the "learn grammar" part.
>>
File: huehue.png (341KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
huehue.png
341KB, 512x384px
>>380463135
>2k to learn a language to play shitty games
>>
>>380466183
The truth is if you study the right kanji, you'll be reading in absolutely no time, especially if your goal is light novels and manga. The first quarter or so of all kanji that your supposed to study in Japanese schools makes up for the vast majority of what is written in media, and the rest will have reading aids in materials aimed at mass consumption.

This book in particular is good as it orders all the kanji based on frequency of occurence in media, after properly studying the first 400-600, assuming you couple it with a good grasp of the language itself, then you can start to read a lot of stuff without much problems.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/438514074X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>380466453
>mily
fucking phone posting autocorrect
>>
>>380466623
Unnecessary if OP only want to read and listen.
But you shouldn't learn grammar before learning some vocabulary
>>
File: 1494131083056.png (16KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
1494131083056.png
16KB, 259x224px
Chink here, what are the differences between kanji and Chinese besides the obvious pronunciation. All the kanji I've seen seem to be simpler Chinese words, it honestly doesn't seem that hard to learn kanji as an English-only speaker once you learn most of the radicals.
>>
>>380466721
Ha. Maybe children's manga.
Books aimed for the general masses won't have furigana for the most common 2000 kanji.
>>
You can spend the same amount and take Japanese 101 at your local community college.
>>
>>380466932
You are 100% right, grammar is unnecessary if he only wants to read.
It is absolutely necessary if he actually wants to understand what he reads, though.

Reading Japanese without grammar knowledge is basically like this.
>>
>>380467012
You'd be amazed, I've read an awful lot of books since moving here and especially lately with people handwriting less and less the amount of higher level kanji you need to know the reading of off hand is getting lower and lower. With the basis that I previously mentioned, upwards of 80-90% of all kanji that occurs in most of what you read (outside of academic materials and niche genres) will be covered. It's from this point that you can continue to learn through exposure, and commit to studying the remaining kanji in the long term and not burn yourself out grinding with no short term rewards.

It's just my opinion, but this approach has worked incredibly well for me and I'm enrolled in my Master's with Japanese as the language of instruction, coming from an English only speaking background 4 years ago.
>>
>>380466453
>repeat for a few years
I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it sounds pretty inefficient for the effort put in
>>
>>380466453
this anon gets it
Translating H-doujins while you learn is a noble endeavor. and nothing will motivate you like your dick
>>
>>380467470
Tell me any language you can get good at in less than 2 years without intense daily effort.
And no, knowing the basics stuff you learn in a kids book isnt "good"
>>
File: 009.png (103KB, 1043x1600px) Image search: [Google]
009.png
103KB, 1043x1600px
>>380467012
people who study kanji formerly never use furigana in the first place. Furigana is for people who only study hiragana and say its time to fucking go. In truth if you study Kanji you'd already know the on and kun readings of everything and can figure out readings on things you've never seen before, usually the meaning too.

And heres a page from a young adults novel, disregard the furigana for first intro names of course, those are always going to be a thing
>>
I live in Japan and have never paid for Japanese classes. Just go to izakaya and talk to people. You'll learn quickly and have fun.

The $2500 cash you're thinking of spending... spend it on a trip to japan. Try out the basics here and make some penpals. Continue practicing with your penpals for free when you return.
>>
>>380469576
I'll never get used to vertical writing.
After reading a dozen VNs and getting my reading speed to a decent place, I can still only read vertical text one syllable at a time.
>>
>>380463135
You need to be committed in order to learn something. As in, you need to be interested in picking up the skill yourself. That means spending your time actually learning it outside tutoring - spending an hour or two once a week studying isn't going to mean anything. This means stop watching the anime, stop playing the video games, and studying instead of all that. A tutor is only going to guarantee working with you for a set amount of money; they aren't going to guarantee that you'll learn the language because they know you could be an idiot who spends a week unlearning it without supervision.

So no, you shouldn't fork over the $2k unless you are certain you will be spending the time required to learn it as well.
>>
>>380470236
I like vertical reading because my eyes dont have to keep going left to right, You start on the top right and slowly work your way to the bottom left in one go
>>
File: thumb.png (788KB, 729x539px) Image search: [Google]
thumb.png
788KB, 729x539px
Follow your dream
>>
File: you cant.jpg (8KB, 229x173px) Image search: [Google]
you cant.jpg
8KB, 229x173px
>nobody posted it yet

Newfags, all of you
>>
>>380463346
Is Genki the go-to for learning Japanese?
>>
>>380471775
I want to be an attack helicopter.
>>
>>380463135
No, buy some dragon dildoes instead
>>
>>380472281
It's good for beginners who need their hands held. You can't go wrong with it, but some people complain that it's a bit too slow for them.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.