[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain to me how a game released 20 years ago is more fun, has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

File: Super_Mario_64_Box_art.jpg (132KB, 800x557px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_64_Box_art.jpg
132KB, 800x557px
Explain to me how a game released 20 years ago is more fun, has more replayability and a tighter gameplay than 99% of the shit that comes out today.
>>
Nostalgia
>>
Having shit taste.
>>
>>380460464
every generation has a bunch of master pieces senpai
>>
it's also better than 99% of the shit that came out in the 90s, it's just a good game
>>
>>380460464
It's a rare gem amongst the ages.
>>
>>380460464
Because it was made by the finest video game developer in the world operating at the top of their game.
>>
>>380460464
i can't be the only one that doesn't like SM64 that much? yeah it has nostalgic value but i just can't finish it
>>
>>380460464
The devs spent literal years refining and polishing Mario's movement and control before even building the game world. It was also one of the first of its kind.

Also this >>380461517
>>
parallel universes
>>
>>380460464
BECAUSE IT HAS FUCKING MOMENTUM
>>
>>380460464
Game developers just aren't good at learning from the past. You'd think someone could just make a better Mario 64 by doing more of what M64 did well and avoiding what it did poorly (like water levels) but nah, guess not.
>>
>>380460464
I've beaten this game dozens of times and it's still fun to me
>>
>>380461776
Best answer itt
>>
>>380464839
this, momentum preservation is the reason moving around in melee feels better than in brawl and smash 4. Going fast is just fun
>>
File: Super_Mario_64_jumping.jpg (132KB, 626x452px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_64_jumping.jpg
132KB, 626x452px
- fun
- creativity
- variety
- good design
- good controls
- minimal story
- no cutscenes
- no edginess, angst, melodrama, politics or misguided aspirations of moving gaming forward as an artform
- actually did move games forward as an artform
>>
>>380463904
I don't either. This board is also biased being full of toddlers who have a nostalgic hard on for it.
>>
File: 1251403041393.jpg (15KB, 220x191px) Image search: [Google]
1251403041393.jpg
15KB, 220x191px
>>380464843
>mario 64 water levels
>poor

get fucked homo
>>
hollywood (ea, ubisoft, etc) took over mainstream video games
>>
I tried to emulate it and it was just shit. Camera is horrible, jumping in unintuitive, the game expects you to replay every level 20 times, fuck that noise
>>
Because nowadays it's about money and people have no passion anymore, "diversity" is more important.
>>
>>380461776
This. Genuinely good games don't age.
>>
>>380467565
No you cuck, MONEY is more important. "Diversity" just happens to be what the marketing suits are predicting will make them the most money.
>>
>>380467795
That's what I said
>>
Mario 64 is a fucking gem in every aspect. Gaming will never be the same.
>>
>>380461776
Yeah, this. Timeless classics are timeless classics for a reason.
>>
>"tight" gameplay
what does this even mean?
>>
>>380468462
responsive controls you stupid peasant
>>
>>380463904
I've started it a few times in the past maybe 10 years and never got very far. It's just so dull for me.
>>
I recently played through super mario 64 with an emulator and xbox controller and the game was genuinely good. I don't think it's nostalgia because I also tried to play through banjo kazooie and I just can't be bothered even though it's one of my childhood games as well. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but it just doesn't have the same flow as SM64.
>>
File: db080113.gif (209KB, 600x793px) Image search: [Google]
db080113.gif
209KB, 600x793px
>>380460464
Do you really think 20 years is a long time, in the cosmic skein or even to the span of a human life? I'm not even an "games are art"fag, but come on.
>>
>>380460464
To be honest, mostly because Nintendo put a fucking ton of effort in this game. Something you can't say for some of their recent games.

It's a game whose only flaws are hardware related (camera with C buttons, and low framerate) and really not that gamebreaking. When this game came out, it was mind blowing. If you take into consideration its release date, I don't think any game will ever top it.
>>
>>380468802

t. Nihilist fag.
>>
File: marioice.jpg (16KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
marioice.jpg
16KB, 400x293px
>>380468802
>perspective, how does it work?

The games industry itself is only about twice as old as Super Mario 64 is.
>>
>>380460464
You can't say it's only 99%
>>
>>380460464
because old games were made full of passion and entertainment, also making a game was "hard"

nowdays its just good business and *everyone* can make a game
>>
File: sm64 manual.png (969KB, 1253x914px) Image search: [Google]
sm64 manual.png
969KB, 1253x914px
>>380460464
Because it's a good game. Good games in any time period are rare, so it feels like older games are better in general because all of the ones you DO remember are good, whereas most of the new shit you see released is bad.
>>
>>380466731
>camera is horrible

anytime someone says this, it's a 100% guarantee that they never ever tried to even touch one of the c buttons.
>>
>>380467565
Do people actually believe that 90s-00s devs did it all for art n' shiet? Are you unironically 12?
>>
>>380460464
>pannenkoek pls
>>
>>380460464
>Explain to me how a game released 20 years ago is more fun, has more replayability and a tighter gameplay than 99% of the shit that comes out today.
Nostalgia
>>
>>380470317
What does it have to do with what I said?
Big developers don't have the same passion as before, they don't push hardware to it's limits and are scared of creating something new, they just rehash popular ips so they can be safe and get the money.
>>
>>380470252
There's only one C key. Do you mean F keys? Like F1, F2, etc. I don't currently have them mapped to anything since they're not in the most convenient location. Face it, the camera and game overall just controls awkward as fuck. It's good despite that, but it really is a constant battle and you have to take frequent breaks to keep up with it.
>>
>>380460464
Name another game that allows you to build up speed for 25 hours to the point that you can literally travel to alternate universes. You cannot
>>
>>380470746
real life
>>
>>380460464
You were a kid back then, you'll never reach the same satisfaction as that, kids nowadays find games fun just like you used to.
>>
>>380471102
I was 21 in 1996. I still play it regularly and consider it one of the top three all-time greatest games.
>>
>>380469807
What part of that statement's nihilistic? I just feel like things like events and quality works don't become irrelevant to modern life nearly as fast as people think they do.
>>380469884
I mean sure, but imo an industry moving into the future doesn't necessarily mean things progress in the correct direction, especially with things that require some degree of artisan-ship, and industries are capable of becoming diluted and derivative off of the wrong things. Sometimes it's good to go back to being derivative of older shit, like reading Beowulf instead of R.A. Salvadore.
>>
>>380466271
Side Somersault is literally the best feeling jump in any platformer ever.
>>
>>380470838
>real life
theory
>super mario 64
proven fact
>>
>>380472107
theyre both proven facts the only difference is that in real life lakitu can follow you to the parallel universes
>>
>>380470701
Get a real controller
>>
File: JollyRogerBaySM64.jpg (47KB, 838x763px) Image search: [Google]
JollyRogerBaySM64.jpg
47KB, 838x763px
>>380472061
It is, I never quite forgave Nintendo for nerfing it in Sunshine and the Galaxies.
>>
>>380460464

since the creators first made a video game they dreamed of making a game in a 3 dimensional space.

so after years of dreaming about what a mario game could be without the limitations of a 2 dimensional world they were finally able to do so, obviously this was the early days with tons of limitations but they were passionate about making it great even if it couldnt be everything they would have wanted to do they tried to give us the best 3d mario game they could cause they cared.

its the passion and the fight against the limitations to make it great despite them, same thing happens with movies when people could first film in sound or first film in color and start to use special effects to do stuff we got some amazing movies where they fought to break the limitations of what could be shown and they were passionate about it. now its just CGI everything, gaming is similar in the sense that theres no feeling of limitation or finally making that dream a reality, its a given so just lazily or easily make the game and the lack of passion, even if the game is objectively better and more advanced, shines threw and just doesnt feel like as complete or special of an experience.
>>
PEOPLE WHO THINK THIS GAME IS PRAISED BECAUSE "MUH NOSTALGIA" HAVE NEVER BEATEN THE GAME. THEY LIKELY GOT ANNOYED WITH THE EASY AS HELL TO USE CAMERA OR WERE TIRED OF FALLING OFF THE MAPS.
>>
Very good controls and focus on level design, despite (and thanks to) a lot of stuff like art and textures being a bit barebones or simplistic compared to what the console later achieved. The sound design was still pretty impressive though, Nintendo always has good sound and particles.
>>
>>380460464
Sure, but first we need to talk about parallel universes.
>>
>>380474498
>git gud argument to why people dislike something
Mario 64 is my fav game, but fuck off. This is the same shitty argument das2 fags try to use and I hate it.
>>
>>380475508
>"I love it when people write off what I have to say about my favorite game because it was released 20+ years ago thus I MUST be nostalging for it."

chew on some glass
>>
They focused on making Mario a joy to move and built the game around it. Just running around, doing flips, rebounding off terrain and climbing trees all feels great without even trying to actually play the game.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.