[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Given that Torchlight 2 is the real successor to Diablo 2, why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 15

File: Torchlight-2.jpg (493KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Torchlight-2.jpg
493KB, 1920x1080px
Given that Torchlight 2 is the real successor to Diablo 2, why is it less popular than Diablo 3?

Is it brand loyalty by Blizzdrones?
Is it poor marketing?

Having played both, Torchlight 2, to me, is a superior game, the only thing D3 has over TL2 is the cut-scenes.

Discuss.
>>
Think it could be the Diablo name?
>>
>>380392904
the game is fun for what it is, campaign is boring so you only do it once because desert maps fucking suck.
then mod the shit out of the game and play it some more until you get bored and that's it
t. 40 hours
>>
>>380392904
Torchlight 2 wasn't particularly great

The first one was better
>>
Diablo 3 badly damaged the reputation of isometric rpgs. Only PoE managed to come out of it.
>>
Poor marketing, honestly. You nailed it. It was never going to have the Diablo name
>>
>>380392904
Torchlight 2 was fucking terrible
>>
>>380394264
>>380393867

Explain, please.
>>
>>380394187
And another thing, people want an interesting well developed setting and story in their hack and slash. Torchlight doesnt really have that.
>>
I'd say at this point even D3 is better than Torchlight 2. I got bored of T2 much more quickly. Although Grim Dawn and PoE are superior to both though, depending on what you want.
>>
>>380392904
the most boring skills out of any Diablo clone

literally none of the classes were interesting in any way
>>
>>380392904
>Given that Torchlight 2 is the real successor to Diablo 2
That's not path of exile, which has an amazing patch coming in the next couple of months
>>
Torchlight 2 was missing a certain something that 1 had. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seem so uninspired. Never could put more than a few hours in it before giving up.
>>
>>380394424
D2 was a perfect example of subtlety, you don't need some bad story hurting in everywhere like d3 hell how old are you
>>
>>380394780
Please don't post if you are low iq
>>
>>380392904
Both Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 are missing that one thing that made D1/D2 so succesful. Just fuck right off with those bright cartoony graphics. It's the same reason why Titan Quest is literally unplayable. The grimdark atmosphere made Diablo what it was.
Unless you're immersed in these games thanks to the atmosphere/story, it becomes all too apparent that you're just a retard lusting after a meaningless skinnerbox.
>>
I bought this game for $5. It was worth almost that much.
>>
>>380392904
Because Torchlight is fucking garbage. I would even play D3 over that shit.
>>
The controls feel subpar and the pacing of the leveling is unbearably slow.
>>
>>380392904
torch light 2 fucking sucks

I just played it last week on the hardest difficulty and its impossible to find loot. Loot for your build barely ever drops and the shop keep will usually almost never have your weapon type. The only good thing about it is I sorta like the less enemies with condensed stats but even that started to seem dumb and prob the reason the drop rate was so bad.

The highest downloaded or voted mods are shit that add like 5 new classes and 300 new items etc etc but they are completely unbalanced and shitty. They definitely do not save the game.

The legendary/uniques in the game suck as well. The game isn't terrible and it's enjoyable but its no where even close to being a top arpg.
>>
>>380394962
Torchlight didnt have an interesting setting, D3 doesnt have the rpg character development.
Both are shit.
>>
>>380392904
Grim Dawn >>>>>>>> TL2
>>
>>380395187
I've been having a blast with Grim Dawn. Do we know when the new classes are dropping?
>>
>>380394379
Massive maps of nothing, shitty class specific resource bars, no real variety outside the class besides mods, End-game being mostly dungeon maps of repetition with "modifiers".
>>
I don't understand the hate for D3. Sure, it was shit at release but it has come a long way and it is pretty fun right now. Also, necromancer coming soon.
>>
>>380395723
If the game launched with rifts it could have been saved but they killed it, anon. It had no endgame and it was dead on arrival.
>>
>>380392904
extremely monotonous gameplay
no economy
no dueling

its the worst trope of ARPG games devolving into blending all picked up items into currency while holding one button to grind indefinitely.

I'd never have played more than one or two playthroughs of diablo 2 if dueling didn't exist and the economy wasn't propped up by pvp demand
>>
1. It's boring.
2. Itemization in it is a complete and total mess.
3. Text in it is an eyesore.
4. Artstyle is fucking awful.

It's mainly the first one though. Torchlight 2 is seriously fucking boring, even with friends. Everything takes way too long to do, and the worst offender to me personally is that it's fucking slow as hell.
>>
>>380395953
I don't give a fuck about arrival. It's fun now and that's what matters.
>>
>>380395953
Rifts are shit every single thing they added to it is shit.
>>
>>380395723
No way in hell am i paying for the necromancer.
>>
File: 1486331182443.gif (91KB, 319x440px) Image search: [Google]
1486331182443.gif
91KB, 319x440px
Where's Torchlight 3?
It's been almost 5 years and we don't even have an announcement.

TL2 btfo Diablo 3 but was about equal to RoS. TL3 could be the true advancement in top down ARPG that we need.
>>
>>380396070
It's too easy now and there's no reason to compete with anyone.

It is pretty fun though I'll probably play through the game at least once with a Necro.

>>380396108
Rifts would be fine if every class didn't just keymoard mash its way to BiS gear.
>>
One reason and one reason only

It's single player.
>>
File: 1497241097268.jpg (69KB, 690x398px) Image search: [Google]
1497241097268.jpg
69KB, 690x398px
>>380392904
Id rather play dungeon siege 2 or sacred 2 over this
hell marvel heroes
>>
>>380392904
Run-in-circle combat gets old fast
>>
>>380396264
the team is working on another game apparently but really haven't hinted to what it will be.
>>
>>380396269
>It's too easy now and there's no reason to compete with anyone.

High level greater rifts are hard as fuck. I started playing a few weeks ago and have manged to get to GR 84. How people manage to get above 100 is absolutely beyond me.
>>
File: menidamach.png (258KB, 716x408px) Image search: [Google]
menidamach.png
258KB, 716x408px
Heres why Diablo 2 was the only one to succed

How I'd play Torchlight 2 if I booted it up right now:
>mindlessly right click through mobs of enemies doing exact same shit I've done before for hours, getting bored instantly

How I'd play Diablo 3 if I booted it up right now:
now:
>mindlessly right click through mobs of enemies doing exact same shit I've done before for hours, getting bored instantly

How I'd play Path of Exile if I booted it up right now:
now:

How I'd play Diablo 2 if I booted it up right now
>Search for "Ladder Duels" or "Duels" or "Duel me noob" and crush some baddies with my 72% fcr 87k plague 4.5k cs 3.2k hp 75% block 50% dr 75/75/75/75 full stash of sorb and stack zon with faith bow 1 point GA/multi swap.
>>
No server side multiplayer

Idiots saying "but ill just play with no friends" doesn't make an active playerbase
>>
File: chronicon.jpg (53KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
chronicon.jpg
53KB, 460x215px
Anybody got any new diablo clones they're playing?

Chronicon is holding my attention and I'm holding out hope that the next Wolcen patch will have some real content.
>>
>>380396717
*my friends
>>
>>380396490
Actually they announced Hob 2 years ago, but we've seen NOTHING since.
It's kind of annoying since there's a good chance we'll see fucking Diablo 4 before TL3 despite how lazy Blizzard is.
>>
It's just a boring game
Diablo 3 is very fun in its current state
>>
who /grim dawn/ here

REAL NIGGA ROLL CALL
>>
>>380392904
All Torchlight has over d2 is some slight balance improvements, control improvements, and better graphics. To people that grew up with d2 and than played all the d2 clones that came out that's really not interesting at all. We already sunk hundreds of hours into d2 and it's early clones and can't get excited about something that is the same but marginally better. Hell Torchlight doesn't even give me different environments to explore. Act 2 is a dessert, act 3 is an ice level. I already did that shit 10 years ago and than did it again in countless d2 clones.

The only diablo new diablo clones anyone cares about the ones that actually shook up the formula. D3 made combat more dynamic and Poe redesigned every aspect of character development from the ground up into a much improved system.

So Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Torchlight, and probably a ton of stuff I can't even remember get forgotten because they are just marginal improvements on a formula we already sunk hundreds if not thousands of hours into.
>>
>>380396708
>How I'd play Path of Exile if I booted it up right now:
>imfuckingplying
>>
>>380397125
you're right its the only one I've actually uninstalled lmao

I might have kept playing that shitty game some if the developers didn't make a point of fucking the community in the ass every time someone comes up with something remotely interesting
>Hey guys we created this awesome highly complex engine in a genre known for players inventing emergent metagames, and we want to encourage you to come up with your own builds
>EXCEPT NO FUN ALLOWED
>>
>>380397125
>How I'd play Path of Exile if I booted it up right now

>spend hours looking up builds for a character I haven't even created yet just so I don't get fucked over by the shitty skill grid and lack of respecs
>>
Thing that pisses me off is casual underage shitters and devs both seem to not understand why d1 and 2 were great.
Trying to discuss it with anyone born after 1995-2000 is impossible.
>>
File: 1484487720316.jpg (22KB, 242x285px) Image search: [Google]
1484487720316.jpg
22KB, 242x285px
>Hey so here's TL2
>It's better than Diablo 3 and a tiny bit better than Diablo 2 depending on who you ask
>but we're just going to launch it and patch the bugs, we're not going to support it
>here's some mod tools, make sure it doesn't fall behind
after RoS launches
>well TL4 will come
>eventually
>but first we're making this new non arpg IP!
I both love runic and hate runic at the same time.
I love them because they honestly know how to improve the ARPG genre. I love them because they provide massive mod support and let people fuck with their game endlessly
I hate them because the second said mods start coming out, and the second all the bugs are fixed, they stop supporting their game.
I hate them because, despite being a small studio, they let their ARPG sit dead for 5-??? years while they develop a new IP, fully knowing it'll take another 3-5 years to make TL3 after they even finish said new IP.

Cool, great, I'm happy you're following your dreams. But what about that genre you said you'd help keep top quality?
>>
>>380392904
Torchlight 2 was ass. I would rather play Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, PoE or Diablo 3.
>>
>that feel when you realize there will never be an actual cool "summoner" in a game anymore

Torchlight 1 had those lame little gremlin things, and you only get like 5 of them, and those REALLY lame stationary skeleton summons that degraded.

Guild Wars 2 had those lame special snowflake summons and you only get like 5 of them that degraded.

Torchlight 2 had the same really fucking lame stationary everyman summons that stayed still and degraded, and were overall worthless.

POE summons are boring and lame, and are better off stacking fire damage so they explode rather than actually using the summons.

Fuck sake I'm so sick of this.
>>
Because Diablo 3 is fun and this game is fucking shit
>>
It's pretty simple. While Torchlight 1 was pretty awesome, one of the big things the community wanted for it was online multiplayer.

While Torchlight 2 delivered on that, they delivered an unregulated cheat engine and modded mess. While that might sound awesome to some, it prevents a solid community from forming like with successful games of the genre; like PoE and yes, even Diablo 3(people do come back in droves every season, even if it is only for a month or two)
>>
>>380397427
its because they've never seen an online game community where you were free to be dicks to one another and actually be able to harm other players and fairly fight back if someone tried it

Diablo 1 / 2 were the wild west days of gaming. Someone pisses you off? Hostile them, teleport up to him and rape him. When you're dueling, its honor policy on rules like pots / nking. Nobody is forcing you to play by the community rules, you can be a cunt if you want, other players will gang up on you if you do, the game gives you fair warning and time to escape if someone hostiles you

nowadays its all:
>you aren't allowed to harm the "GAME EXPERIENCE" of other players
>swearing is considered "TOXIC BEHAVIOR" and will result in a ban from the community moderators
>all gameplay has been streamlined so players never compete with each other in any way whether its drops or pathing or whatever
>>
>>380397732
>If you united the Blizz Diablo devs with the former devs that now make GW, TL, POE, and Marvel Heroes you'd have a studio that understands the genre and fans, as well as knows how to add proper expansions
>instead you have a bunch of retards that don't know what the fuck to do on their own
>>
>>380397732
???? whats wrong with using GMP+LMP minions like flame sentinels in PoE for massive clusterfuck explosions
the game gave you some actually interesting summon builds
>>
>>380396925
what class you rollin, boi?
>>
>>380398250
I already have shitloads of builds, my dude.
>>
File: Tristram1_final2.jpg (283KB, 1024x436px) Image search: [Google]
Tristram1_final2.jpg
283KB, 1024x436px
What D1 and D2 succeeded at so well compared to other ARPGs was atmosphere.

The music, the sound effects, the color palette, etc. all combined into one very immersive package, and is the reason why I find myself replaying both games from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XheJnmLAwhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI4iHTR_FUM

I can't listen to these songs and not get shivers.
>>
>>380400226
path of exile actually has a BETTER atmosphere than diablo 2
its just ruined by the player builds zipping around at 300 mph shooting 60 beams per second like an attack helicopter

path of exile would be pretty damn moody if you were clicking your way through with a D2 zealot
>>
File: d2.jpg (90KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
d2.jpg
90KB, 640x360px
>>380401035
PoE has good atmosphere, but I wouldn't call it better than D2. Definitely up there though.

The thing is, you can't stop people from metagaming when it comes to multiplayer RPGs. Doesn't matter how simple or complex the game's systems are; there are always going to be people looking for the most "optimal" way of playing the game.

My solution is to just not do any reading up on "strats" and whatnot. It feels much better to clear the game's content with a "build" you cobbled together through your own in-game experimenting.
>>
>>380401035
I don't have the level of autism required to even begin fathoming a PoE build
>>
>>380399059
What's your favorite right now, fampai?
>>
File: 1426984156400.jpg (425KB, 1123x659px) Image search: [Google]
1426984156400.jpg
425KB, 1123x659px
>>380392904
I just can't enjoy this genre /v/ I'm sorry.
My autism doesn't let me advance more than 5 steps because I need to hoard every fucking item drop in the game,
>>
>>380402373
Not him, but I just recently got back into the game again.
>played a primal strike warder and dual pistols fire strike sorceror previously
>let's try something new this time
>maybe a caster, I don't play casters often
>hell, let's go with poison, I don't use dots often
>melting every group in a single shot from the main poison spell
>most of the time they don't even survive the initial acid blast, much less the poison that comes afterwards
Focused Gaze DEE is fucking ridiculous, and I haven't even started digging through my old stash for cool shit to use.
>>
>>380402235
>>380402242
the problem with PoE is whenever someone invented an interesting build, GGG nerfed it into the trash can or just outright removed it within a week

>oh whats that, you discovered how to use frost walls to shotgun overlapping projectiles?
>would be a shame if someone were to....
>>
>>380392904
>Torchlight 2 is the real successor to Diablo 2

it has literally nothing in common with dii apart from genre
>>
File: loot filter.jpg (407KB, 725x415px) Image search: [Google]
loot filter.jpg
407KB, 725x415px
>>380403351
I'm not sure about other games, but PoE lets you use what are called Loot Filters so you don't waste time picking up items that aren't worth picking up.

Unless even that isn't even to dissuade your pack-ratting tendencies.
>>
>>380392904
torchlight 2 might have been good, but the beg-mid game was so disgustingly dull that I lost all hope of trying to find the good in it.
>>
File: 1309578549697.jpg (202KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1309578549697.jpg
202KB, 800x800px
>>380403927
Again, my solution is to not care about what the "meta-defining" skills are. Just use what feels good to use. Stop caring about what's "overpowered" and what isn't. Stop getting so involved in the metagaming that nerf/buff decisions affect you so drastically.

Of course this sort of mindset is completely foreign to the hypercompetitive players who treat each ability as a means to an end, rather than an interesting feature in and of itself.
>>
>>380405451
And development team
>>
ITT savages who play without mods

this game is so much better if you set it up right
>>
File: 1488388062716.jpg (26KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1488388062716.jpg
26KB, 512x512px
dull combat, god-awful item interface, bad font choices

ez
>>
Torchlight 2 has mod support, is relatively cheap and has the same dev team that D2 had.

It's not only a true successor, it surpasses D2.
>>
>>380394187
>isometric rpgs
lol
>>
>>380392904
It wasn't initially. It's just that they went back and casualized Diablo 3 to hell and then it gained appeal again.
>>
>>380406665
usually what feels good to use is faster and more efficient already, thus why it feels good in the first place...

if you think something feels good but it's slow, ur just an ideot xd
>>
>>380406970
I will only mod a game if I find something worth redeeming in the core game.
>>
>>380396925
playing a pure soldier right now, sword and board and it's killing it, face tanked pretty much every boss and have 6k DPS at lvl 50.
>>
>>380408262
titan quest 2.0 AOE sucks boring ass shit retard game
>>
File: 1487908478794.png (309KB, 441x459px) Image search: [Google]
1487908478794.png
309KB, 441x459px
>>380407594
If there was a skill that did nothing besides instantly kill every enemy on the screen, with no sound effect, no animation, no indication at all that your character actually did anything, would it still be fun to use?

I mean, shit, you can't beat that in terms of speed and efficiency. Gotta be fun, right?

All that matters is getting XP as fast as possible, right? Gotta get to level 99 before anyone else, right? Can't enjoy the game otherwise, right?

That sort of mindset does nothing besides burn you out on these games. You have to slow down, stop and smell the roses, and try to appreciate other aspects of the gameplay.
>>
>>380396708

hard to believe people still think d2 pvp was good

gear based pvp is always shit, but it was funny to watch hackers go at it on open bnet
>>
File: nap.webm (3MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
nap.webm
3MB, 852x480px
>>380408482
d2 pvp was not gearbased for anything but melee vs melee and you'd have to be autistic to enjoy melee duels

gear gives you only a small edge with extremely diminishing impact in FFA / caster duels. It doesn't matter much whether you've got 45 life skillers or 35-38 life skillers when you get outplayed
>>
>>380392904

Because Torchlight 2 basically is Diablo 2, 3 may be shit but it's different shit.
>>
TL2

great on paper but unbelievably tedious in play. really boring skills, slow as fuck action, no atmosphere, everyone looks like duplo, le ironic silly gear of amazeballs.

mods were all half arsed too.

GD is the only D2 thing worth your time
>>
>>380392904
Itemisation is shit, damage over time is broken, mitigation doesn't work and the skills are boring
>>
>>380408482
>it was funny to watch hackers go at it on open bnet
Open net was rad. Some dude just popped into my friend's game dropped like a dozen rings onto the ground and left. When you equipped the ring it locked up your game all you could do was quit out. I used hero editor to move that ring back into my inventory and then I made loads of duplicates. I spent a good week going around and dropping those rings everywhere.
>>
TL2 is the only clone I've never enjoyed. TL1 was okay, but TL2 will put me to sleep within an hour. Probably because of how slow it is.

PoE is solid, pretty hyped for the "xpac".
Grim Dawn is pretty amazeballs for the price.
TQ is something... Slower paced than others, but it had such a high-level of polish at the time.
Not really into greek-stuff either though. Still played it for awhile.
>>
Because nowadays you need to have some sort of continuing dev plan. Like if not expansions then DLC of some sort. They just released it, left the rest up to modders and went on their way.

And, surprise, when you let the community run everything on their own, everything goes to shit and nothing of substance comes of your game.

Unless it's open to porn mods.
>>
Titan Quest was pretty good as well, had some big problems like being way too fucking long and combat being a bit slow but the class/ skill system was fantastic and the loot was too.

Grim Dawn made the pacing a combat a lot better but prolly lost something in the skills because they don't combine as well as they did in TQ.
>>
I enjoyed tl2 but grim dawn is the best one out atm except for maybe PoE
>>
>>380410025
>Titan Quest was pretty good as well
It's skill system is irredeemably bad
>Here's your one useful active skill per skill tree now spend the rest of your 99+ levels on leveling passives for it
It was worse than D2LOD with it's cancerous skill synergies.
>>
>>380409598
>Not really into greek-stuff either
TQ was weird to me, cause I really like greek mythology, but I felt like it was really dull in its representation of that.
>>
File: 12312314124123.jpg (64KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
12312314124123.jpg
64KB, 400x400px
Mainly because Grim Dawn and PoE are superior in every way.
>>
>>380392904
Meh. I played it, but I didn't find it so good.
>>
>>380392904
Torchlight 2 was boring as fuck dude
>>
I played Torchlight and Torchlight II. I have no real recollections of the game. It's completely forgettable. Absolutely nothing springs to my mind where I could go "Wow, that was fun."

Diablo III (on launch) on the other hand, I have much stronger memories of.

>>380405990
This style of game needs to do away with junk loot. Very few people like sifting through randomly generated loot that they're just going to sell anyway. There's no reason for it. The FFXI method of low drop rate and a small loot pool is much more exciting.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.