[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there any way the Dreamcast could've survived or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: dreamcast.png (212KB, 650x419px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast.png
212KB, 650x419px
Was there any way the Dreamcast could've survived or was it always doomed?
>>
>>380327274
good thread for /vr/. go there anon, leave this horrible place
>>
>>380327274

That's my favorite console tbqfhwy but it was born dead
>>
>>380327274
Doomed from the get go. I still love it tho wish I'd have kept mine.
>>
Doesnt matter if it "survived" or not.

The dreamcast was a magical fucking console with a lot of love put into it.

Everything since then has been neutered and bland.
>>
>>380327274
Sega was doomed since the saturn, much like Nintendo was doomed since Wii U. In about 18 years or so, this same thread will be made, but about Switch. And at that point, a slew of people who are toddlers now will pretend like the Switch was the greatest console of all time.
>>
Use DVDs instead
So yes it was always doomed
>>
I'm pretty sure they 'suprise' launched it without telling anyone and didn't realize you have to market your bullshit or nobody will know to buy it.
>>
>>380327840
you weren't alive for either the saturn or the dreamcast's launch were you anon?
>>
>>380328075
>I'm pretty sure they 'suprise' launched it without telling anyone

They had a huge promotional push in fact one of the reasons the DC is loved so much is it had one of the most exciting console launches ever 9/9/1999 never forget.
>>
>>380328075
this was one of the Saturn's many, many, MANY issues - not the Dreamcast's
>>
>>380328075
Dude the whole 9-9-99 thing was a big deal, hell I even had the EGM , god damn I was 13 then.
>>
>>380328427
I also remember it because that was the day of the 99 MTV vmas , one of the best they ever had (when they still gave a shit)
>>
>>380327274
>no DVD player
>Sony holiday 2001
Combine that with the financial troubles and it never stood a chance.
>>
File: FFVIII-SquallRinoa_artwork.jpg (102KB, 567x547px) Image search: [Google]
FFVIII-SquallRinoa_artwork.jpg
102KB, 567x547px
>>380329162
Also the day FF8 came out. I remember standing in line trying to concoct some scheme of convincing my parents to buy both items even though they weren't related. In retrospect I shouldn't have bothered with FF8.
>>
Sega consoles were dying from the genesis. If you watch adam koralik he pointed out how sega had a "scrap it until something sticks" mentality. The 32x and cd were out of place, worse you have games that require both 32x and cd. Afterwards they did the saturn which had obscure hardware even for its time (this is pre standardized hardware). Too many people changed to ps1 and n64, devs couldnt figure out how to take advantage of the system. I believe the saturn went for 400-600 brand new at the time according to adam koralik, because of obscure over engineered hardware. You could say the new xbox coming out is "overengineered" but microsoft made it as PC like as possible. They also lost many devs to sony because of obscure hardware by the time dreamcast coming out.

Now compare it to nintendo, they stuck with one set of hardware, if it sucked, they rode it out, and learned from it. Sega is/was incompotent for hardware.
>>
>>380328075
That was the Saturn. The Dreamcast was marketed heavily and had a pretty successful launch. The issue was that it was easy as shit to pirate games for, it didn't have a DVD player, the PS2 was literally right behind it, and the company itself was already in a hole after the Saturn and 32X. Also, big third parties like EA already jumped ship after the Saturn and wouldn't support it.
>>
>>380327840
Except that those aren't usually the people who loved the Dreamcast. Most of its appeal was to the older crowd who probably had an atari or NES as their first console, and were around college age at the time. There was a pretty fierce competition with the gamecube as to which would have more / better party games.
>>
>>380330375
>the PS2 was literally right behind it
This was honestly the biggest thing. The dreamcast was a great little system, but the PS2 was a juggernaut that dominated the console wars for a generation in either direction. Nobody else at the time was in even close to the same weight class. Nintendo and Sega kept their heads down and just tried to survive, Xbox was coming in and trying to get a toe-hold, which they did mostly thanks to halo. There wasn't really room for four consoles on the market, so somebody had to lose.
>>
It was doomed because Saturn was a failure so hard that it lets not one, but TWO competitors, one of them being new in the game, able to get way ahead
>>
>>380327274
The Dreamcast did well all things considered, it's just that Sega ran out of money.
>>
>>380327274
>Dreamcast
>focus on nothing but great, fun, arcade-style games and neat niche titles
>fail miserably
>PS2
>cheap DVD player for normalfags
>become the best selling console ever
The world isn't fair.
>>
>>380327274
Nothing it could've done. Sega's past was damaged, and Sony's PS2 hype was at a level that has not been seen or matched since. It an unstoppable. PS2's anticipation was surreal. You had to be there. It didn't matter what the Dreamcast was or what games it had.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.