[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Idea: Combine the aesthetic (though not graphical design) of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3668.jpg (705KB, 1600x880px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3668.jpg
705KB, 1600x880px
Idea: Combine the aesthetic (though not graphical design) of the Last Night and make a solid story driven RPG that takes advantage of modern hardware. Why is this not being done? Is it not profitable? Do I not understand the industry? At the very least, why has a Kotor reboot not been teased yet?

Would appreciate it if someone could tell me if there are financial reasons that preclude this type of ambition from existing in modern game design. Honestly, we are at a point in gaming where I would prefer 3-5 ambitious, new titles over the 50-100 mediocre games we were shown this E3.
>>
>>380246243
>Would appreciate it if someone could tell me if there are financial reasons that preclude this type of ambition from existing in modern game design

there are. games cost tens of millions of dollars to make, so reason dictates that return on investment is best achieved by doing what has shown to sell in the past.

its the exact same shit that is plaguing the movie industry.
>>
>>380246539
Right, and I appreciate that. But isn't it also true that fresh takes on various genres (a la Red Dead Redemption) can also be enormously profitable?
>>
>>380246791
Titles like Mass Effect Andromeda simply cannot be a good business strategy. That shit will tank a studio's reputation.
>>
>>380246243
BUMP because of shitty /pol/ threads that add nothing to gaming discussion
>>
File: cyberpunk.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>380246243
Pfam, it's like you have not heard of Cyberpunk 2077.
>>
>>380248687
I'll believe it when i see it. But why the fuck does it take a relatively small Polish developer to be creative? Why do we have to rely on companies like CD Projekt to push gaming forward? That's the important question.
>>
>>380246243

Video Games ARE dying, and this is a good thing - Video Games are entering their Late 60's period like Hollywood entered.

What happened back then was that during the 70's, U.S. independent cinema exploded.

By the late 70's/Early 80's the two caught up with each other - Independent creativity and ideas and creatives combined with blockbuster budget. Which is how we got our Star Wars and Jaws and The Thing etc.

So that's what needs to happen. We need to see the Indies get control of AAA budgets and tools.

This won't happen until AAA titles begin to bomb regularly.
>>
>>380246791

Red Dead is a big risk and big investment.

Rockstar have the pockets to do this and they have a reputation to uphold for being at the cutting edge of mainstream AAA titles.
>>
>>380248969
CDPR has always been ambitious and willing to push their limits. And that's exactly what making a cyberpunk game is. Ambitious. It's very, very hard to pull off correctly, doubly so in a 3D environment.

Many developers simply don't have the talent and/or budget for it. That's why you see publishers like Ubisoft making yet an another Far Cry seuqel or yet an another AC sequel instead of a new cyberpunk IP. It's much safer to make something that you know will sell and that is relatively easy to produce.
>>
>>380246243
Because Cyberpunk is the most niche genre around for some reason.
>>
>>380246243
My guess is thats kinda what Cyberpunk will be.
>>
>>380248969
Becuase many peoples opinions make things worse most of the time.
>>
>>380246243
>tfw no Lucasarts game with The Last Night tier grapfix
>>
>>380249648
I was just using it as an example of what could be done if the industry had any balls. A Kotor reboot that tried to create its own world within the Star Wars universe would be brilliant, but I'm guessing that we will see original trilogy spin offs for the next decade or two. I probably sound like a moaner, but I just don't see what gaming has to offer at the moment.
>>
>>380249518
I guess the solution is to stop buying sequels. I don't understand people who continue to buy AC games, for example.
>>
>>380249381
But what's EA's excuse? The graphically updated Battlefront releases are just plain lazy and unimaginative.
>>
>>380250307
When I was working part time in retail the guy I worked with loved the AC games because of the historical setting. Which I can totally understand.
>>380246791
You should never use Rockstar as your argument for making games successful. Rockstar pretty much has a free pass to print money with anything they do.
>>
>>380250945
>because of the historical setting

I also only play them because the worldbuilding is amazing. And i fucking love the old Aegypt. Asian Setting when
>>
>>380250945
Fair point re the historical setting. I do think that is the highlight of those games - wish they would simply bin the Animus nonsense.
>>
>>380249518
I think bashing Ubi is not going to get us anywhere. Of course they produce games that will bring them money (AssCreed, Just Dance etc) and they also do shitty things like every big company but they also do a lot of new IP's every year and try things out even if they cant be sure it will sell. Also i have the feeling try to make games that are fun, and are not too serious wich is a very important thing imo.
>>
>>380251661
I agree. No reason to scapegoat companies. There needs to be a change in mentality within the existing companies because, lets face it, they have the capital.

I don't work in the games industry, so I posted this basically to try and figure out why seemingly obvious good ideas are not being implemented this gen.
>>
>>380251294
>wish they would simply bin the Animus nonsense
I am in 100% agreement with you there. I also wish they would get rid of the ancient aliens/civilization bullshit story.
>>
>>380252312
Yep, and maybe make the stories themselves more historically accurate. i.e. get rid of the edgy brotherhood/templar conspiracy angle. Imagine playing as a Roman assassin employed by enemies of say Nero to restore order to the Empire. Now that would be brilliant. To this day, historians do not actually know who killed Nero. Would be fun to play with this.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.