[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you lean japanese, to play your Japanese games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 400
Thread images: 50

File: 1445806669617[1].png (71KB, 229x173px) Image search: [Google]
1445806669617[1].png
71KB, 229x173px
Why don't you lean japanese, to play your Japanese games?

It's not too hard, I'm assuming if you want to learn Japanese you watch anime or some form of japanese media already.
If so it's a whole lot easier.
I don't even watch anime since I was a teenager and still managed to do so, it was harder for me but I still got there.

You spend a day or a few learning hiragana and katakana.
Then read through tae kim,
All while playing games and mining words.
Heisig is optional but helped a bunch.

Sure at the beginning you might struggle. To read a sentence but by half a year or a full year you should be able to play pokemon, phoenix wright and maybe even persona by then.
>>
別に日本のゲームやらなくてもいいです
一生くだらない洋ゲーやっててください
>>
Yeahh encourage me some more bitch, I might just cave in and learn like the sad bastard I am
>>
Are there any games worth learning a whole language?
>>
>>380243469
because i know 4 languages that i constantly use already and I think that any more would fuck with my head a little
>>
>>380243469
>encourage to learn japanese

>not even giving some links to start off
>>
>>380243469
Japanese isn't easy though because of Kanji
I'm 450 kanji in and I still couldn't hope to play a game with ease, although I guess I could probably eventually learn the kanji by looking them up.

Use minna no nihongo though, teaches you shit like you're meant to be taught it
>>
>>380243469
That's just a lie OP. I started on oct, 30 of last year, i'm 1700 kanjis in and not even close to be able to read a full game like persona. Jukugos, man.
>>
>>380244539
rocket slime 3
>>
毎日, やはり6千漢字を覚えますよ。
>>
>>380244721
How is learning a bunch of different readings for symbols any different from English where the written language doesn't reflect how shit is pronounced because of all the languages it borrows words from so there's also a shit ton of words you have to remember how to pronounce?
>>
Because i'm not a weeaboo and i want the jap games i buy and play to be translated or dubbed.
>>
>>380244660
Japanese is incredibly easy to find resources for but OP already pointed you in the right directions.

You first need hiragana and katakana, with a smartphone there are plenty of apps that will teach this and if not just google it. Make sure you learn the proper way to write them (like letting go with the pencil or pen at the right pressure or making a hook at the end of certain lines)

Then you need to learn vocabulary and grammar, as OP said Tae Kim's grammar guide (google it) is very good for grammar and is free but if you invest in textbooks go with minna no nihongo 1 and 2 as they are the best and most well adapted. Memrise is a very good website for remembering vocabulary

As for Kanji, learn the basic N5 level ones first and then mix and match between N4 and N3 based on the words you already learned, and eventually after a month of two of good practice you'll be able to just practice the new hard kanji you come across in a game.

It takes a lot of time and dedication though so sometimes just learning to play games isn't the best motivation unless you really fucking love those games.
>>
>>380244721
I wish the Japanese just used hiragana and katakana.
>>
>>380243469
Because i dont care about japanese, their jokes, idioms, or culture. I just wanna play a game, not learn some three thousand year old backward language
>>
>>380245115
Well, in english all you need to do is see patterns in things being pronounced in a certain way when you read them. It's a phonetic alphabet. Yes english is a very fucking odd language but it is not as extreme as Japanese where if you see a new character you CANNOT read that character unless you know or look it up. You may even know the japanese word for what it is saying but you cannot read it. That's the difference and that is why more work has to be dedicated to kanji.
>>
>>380244125
>>380245110
屁をするつもりだけどちょっとウンコを出てしまった
>>
>>380245003
Honestly if I wasnt in such a depression slump right now, I probably would learn japanese so I could play that
fucking loved the DS one
>>
I'm taking Japanese as my foreign language requirement at uni starting in the fall, from there I'll hopefully become as well versed as I can. Pretty intimidated by all of those moon runes though.
>>
>>380245306
Back in the 1950s I believe they were looking at doing it to 'modernise' but the reason they kept kanji is because it represents a link with their heritage and their east asian friends, like china for example. Back in the day the japanese were able to read chinese without knowing the language which was useful.

Also nowadays kids brought up on hiragana and katakana would not be able to read old shit which would be a pain in the dick.

Saying this a lot of japanese people suck dick at kanji and cannot write many at all but rely on the fact that you barely ever write stuff with a pen anymore and so when you type using a hiragana keyboard the kanji just automatically pops up.
>>
>>380244539
Thracia 776
>>
愛編む芸
>>
>>380245584
There is a translation project right now. Maybe check back in 6 months for a playable fan translation?

btw I've been there, best thing I ever did was picking up another hobby and doing it at least little bit every day.

That said if you're anything like me you hate getting given useless advice, hope it gets better for you.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 456x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 456x480px
>Wanted to learn Japanese and move to Japan
>Read into Japan some more
>Culture only benefits team work and not individualism
>Japanese work culture is awful
>If you get married, you're apparently expected to work all the time and have next to no freedom
>Culture avoids confrontation and strength

I'm not even sure if I want to learn Japanese or take the steps to learning something like computer science/programming now.
>>
>>380243469
Because it's hard, I'm lazy, and I don't even play many japanese games or even watch/read much anime/manga.
>>
まんこ大好きです
>>
WHY THE FUCK DO I STRUGGLE WITH MEMORIZING THE KANAS? I CAN SENTENCE STRUCTURE EASILY BUT I HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME REMEMBERING THE CHARACTERS. I'M OVER A WEEK IN AND I STILL DON'T HAVE THEM ALL DOWN.
>>
>>380246010
Just grind harder.
>>
>>380245882
>>Wanted to learn Japanese
That's great!
>and move to Japan
Why? Don't do this. You don't want to go there and they don't want you there either.
>>
File: 1472193367356.jpg (185KB, 534x1236px) Image search: [Google]
1472193367356.jpg
185KB, 534x1236px
>Day 21 of Autist on /v/ learns Japanese
>Finished Hiragana and Katakana
>Made solid progress through the 210 Radicals
>Setting up the Akii flash cards for Fluent Forevers most frequent 625 Kanji

So much fucking legwork but it's rewarding. Especially with Video Games being dead it's nice to have a new hobby.
>>
No thanks, I don't play Japanese games.
>>
>>380245825
愛羅武勇
>>
>>380245741
That's a shame they never modernised it. Do they even care if you mostly use katakana and hiragana anyway? Does t really make a difference if someone writes "つき" instead of "月"?
>>
>>380245115
Because you can read all the words in the english language with simple knowledge on speech, meanwhile ideograms like Kanji can not be "made out".
When you read the word "Elephant" you don't need to know what it means or what it is to understand that the word Elephant stands for Elephant, you can READ elephant.
However if you don't know the kanji for Elephant you simply can't read it, you will never know it stands for Elephant (or how it's even meant to sound or be read) unless you look up the specific Kanji and learn it.
There is an extra layer of abstraction/knowledge required for ideograms.
>>
i fucking hate reading text that is written in kana only. the kanji makes it so much easier to read.
>>
>>380243469
I have a full time job and wanting to play japan exclusive games is just a case of the grass being greener on the other side. 95% of all the games that are worth it are getting translated.
>>
>>380246081
I'm curious, do you have bad experiences there? And I wanted to move there because I thought it'd be a paradise. But now, I think I understand why so many people are becoming NEETs over there. Japan needs so major reformations over there. And yet they still don't get that working 70+ hours a week, having to "pledge your life" to a company and not having any individuality breaks people.
>>
>>380245882
>move to Japan

Just like that? Anon, you clearly took a wrong turn somewhere.
Being interested in a country means talking with people from there, visiting as a tourist or such.
But moving over?
>>
>>380245882
Ganbare kouhai, think of that english teacher in Japan dream, it would be pretty awesome.
I chose the dive of learning Japanese instead of some sort of computer science,

To be frank with you I went from having no life at all to having a pretty decent life, if you choose programming you will probably always remain shit as a human whereas if you do japanese you can actually make it.

>>380246010
A week is not enough to have them all perfect, give it time. All you need to do is literally write them out slowly and constantly, take a piece of A4 and write the A hiragana, and then on the next do the i one, and then when you're done with a row of them write them out in a chart, until eventually you can fill out the chart all the way down to the R section
>>
>>380246170
Having everything in kana is a cluster fuck

>今夜の月が綺麗ですね
Compared to
>こんやのつきがきれいですね

Not to mention all the fucking homophobes the language has
>>
>>380245860
Good to hear that there is a translation project in the works, but learning Japanese has been one of those things I've kinda wanted to do for some time now

Thanks for the advice, I'm also into drawing, but it's at a stage where drawing is more of a struggle than a relaxing or fun thing right now
I'll be alright though, things aren't that bad realistically, I just haven't figured out how to handle these slumps yet
>>
>>380245268
>minna no nihongo 1 and 2 as they are the best

entirely in japanese, impossible without a teacher
>>
>>380244642
which?
>>
>>380245492
Japanese is literally exactly the same as english in that regard. You're simply so new at Japanese that you don't recognize the symbols yet.
>>
>>380244660
Look up the names on google its not hard.
Tae kim is the first link and heisig is also easy to find out.
They're both pretty well known.

>>380244721
>Minna no nihongo
Why?
It's not even that good.
You just need tae kim for grammar really and maybe heisig.
Then just play games and expose yourself to the language.
Don't tell me you learned english from books before speaking and using it?

>>380244539
A wholr bunch and even more if you want ero.
I know what happened in Danganronpa before EOPs.
You can read stuff like muramasa whivh almost certainly won't be trnaslated.
There's also that phoenix wright game that didn't get translated and so-on.

>>380244941
Persona is pretty easy maybe you just need help in grammar?

>>380245306
That would be hard, the language really benefits from kanji other wise you'd have 100words with different meanings that sound the same.

>>380245645
I was scared at kanji, i tried heisig and now kanji doesn't bother me. I realy really recommend it to people who are scared of kanji.

>>380245882
Japan isn't as great as you think. I don't plan onmovong there at all.
It has a high suicide rates and the longest working hours in the word.

>>380246010
It takes time.
I can learn the kana in a day but master them as you learn.
>>
>>380246081
>>380246419
breaking into your conversation here a little bit but if you're planning on going to Japan and think there will be no benefits from being a gaijin there you had better think again. Unless you're ugly and weird looking or fucking obese people will literally give you shit for free, free passes to go place, free pussy because so many girls are obsessed with westerners, free job as an english teacher or translator of some sort.

The working thing is a meme, they do it because they want to to earn more money and its slowly getting less and less each year.
>>
>All while playing games and mining words.

Yeah, but still I would miss more than half of the dialogs because I can't understand every kanji.

So what are some japanese games that are good but it would be easy to forgive that I won't understand half of it while I still learning?

I don't want to play through some gem while I can't completely understand it. That would be a waste of my expirience.
I need something more okayish that I won't be regretting to playthrough while learning.
>>
Here's a question. After a while do you find reading Kanji on computers easier? I find I have to zoom in on the characters because they are so fucking complex my eyes can't tell them apart.
>>
>>380246728
Futari no mojitpittan is a fun game that helps you learn
>>
>>380243469
Dude, i am slav. I barely can wright in english, in now i need to learn completly alien language, what even not using normal letters? It is like they use :) as one of their symbols.
It would be cool through, cause JAV don't get eng subtitles often. Oh, and jap only games, yes.
>>
>>380243469
It's a huge step to read the games/VNs i'm interested in. Also it didn't give me much hope that my friend who has already passed the N2 (and is studying for the N1 before grad. school) has straight up told me the daily japanese threads he sees on /a/ are hilariously bad.

I'm sure I could teach myself but correcting myself when I'm wrong would be difficult.
>>
Would games/anime actually help in the long run or just make you sound retarded to native speakers?
>>
>>380246781
You probably have a shit font set up.
I know it's a pretty big problem on default Linux installations. Literally blending strokes together even on 200% zoom.

Chances are, you simply need to chose a different font for Chinese characters.
>>
File: 1496458519042.jpg (39KB, 395x403px) Image search: [Google]
1496458519042.jpg
39KB, 395x403px
I've got about 3000 vocab cards "mature" in anki, but I've barely touched on grammar and have yet to actually try reading anything.
Doing my daily reps is (relatively) easy, but pushing me to apply myself to non-structured study is hard.
>>
File: 547.png (150KB, 483x3509px) Image search: [Google]
547.png
150KB, 483x3509px
I'm working on it.

私は大逆転裁判遊ぶがほしいです
don't know if I wrote that right
>>
>>380246468
I think I get what you mean. I can read the kana, but it felt so slow and robotic when I did. Is that what you meant?

>>380246441
Well, I liked the country so I'd consider moving there to work if possible.

>>380246442
I'd really like to try game development which is a main reason I want to learn programming. By honestly, I'd like to do both.

>>380246592
Yeah, I guess I understand now. Maybe that's why kana seems so annoying to read.

Yeah, I've kind of realised that now. Man, Japan really needs change for the better. No wonder no one is having kids or dating over there. The NEETs probably had the right idea.
>>
>>380246170
The odd word or two is fine, maybe even a whole sentence and if you're not japanese looking they wont judge you too hard, but there is a nice feeling that comes from people actually going "shit this guy is a fucking gaijin and he writes cleaner and better japanese than I do". So it depends on what you want really with writing, but with reading its a must.

Then again, when it comes to reading Japanese kanji, it's far easier to do than writing them. A lot of people, especially on here, will "learn" japanese by learning how to read the characters but if you ask them to write a certain character they will struggle. You have to practice with your hand so your hand remembers.

>>380246517
>>380246592
Minna no nihongo is in Japanese, but the parts that you read in each section only include the grammar and the vocab that you learned beforehand. If you can't even do that, you may as well give up. You'll never be able to actually learn Japanese if you can't go that far. Every kanji has furigana too, so you can read just the hiragana and learn the kanji at your own rate. I genuinely reccommend it.

>>380246581
Not sure how being in the second year of a degree in japanese makes me new, but I welcome your criticism. It's not like I'm fluent yet, but I like to think at least 1 year of hard work that I've put in adds some weight to counter that criticism.
>>
>>380247045
What program / website is that from?
>>
>>380246918
>daily japanese threads he sees on /a/ are hilariously bad.
What is your friend using to learn?
>>
>>380246628
I'd like to try that if I go on vacation there soon. I like Japanese girls.
>>
>>380245882
>take the steps to learning something like computer science/programming now.

It depends. You want to code? Many people claim they want to do computer science but in reality they just want to be software engineers (from there you can pretty much be anything, game dev, web dev, app dev, blablabla)

If you like mathematics and the beauty of it then do CS, but you'll spend less time coding shit and more time studying algorithms 'n calculus and shit.
>>
>>380246939
Do I sound retarded to you?

As long as you're able to use common sense, you should be fine. Screaming out words in Engrish while calling everyone around you bakas, senpais and temees obviously isn't the way to communicate with people, just like you don't drop f-bombs every second word in English.
>>
Don't fall for tae kims meme, download a real book.
>>
for some reason I can no longer feel as excited for these threads as I used to be

here's what I'm reading I guess http://ncode.syosetu.com/n9636x/

have fun
>>
File: Screenshot_20170613-074436.png (431KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170613-074436.png
431KB, 1280x720px
>>380247045
やりたいってこと?
>>
>>380247539
Tae kim did get me started but once I properly began learning Minna no Nihongo was the one. Tae kim is a bit of a meme because his grammar guide isn't structured into you being able to see progress in your writing, all it is is just you eventually getting spaced out knowledge about some grammar forms.
>>
外人ども死んでください :^)
>>
Don't fall for the learning from a textbook meme, download a real book and just start reading.
>>
>>380246728
Try replaying games you knkw what happened when you played them in English.
I know somebody else also did this but to learn another language and it helped them too.

You'll learn better if it's games you personally enjoy.
I like phoenix wright so I played it again in Japanese.
I know the story so I wasn't lost and learned how to convey things in a different language.
>>
>>380247045
I need a source on that program senpai
>>
>>380247539
It's a good resource, but you're going to need more than just that
>>
>>380247342
Yeah, I meant I ideally want to be a software engineer. I thought CS was the right term for that field in general. My bad. How much math do I need to know for software engineering?

>>380247128
Yeah, I kind of know that feeling. I've only really just started to learn kana and I can read it better than I can recalling it on the spot and writing it. I guess it's better to learn it properly.
>>
>>380247539
>>380247539
I personally went though tons of books when I was learning none of them helped as much as tae kim.
You pretty much need a grammar book to learn japanese.
>>
>>380247232
I'd have to ask what he's using now. I know he was against the Genki books his first two years at University and used something else. Now he studies on his own and sight-reads in his free time to learn new Kanji. I'll ask in line and post again when he responds.
>>
>>380247743
>wait a minute wasn't this part of the story in LA? Why are we in Kyoto now?
>>
>>380243469

Because I have no Japanese friends.
>>
File: mgs2.jpg (45KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
mgs2.jpg
45KB, 720x576px
One side thing I'm doing to relax when I'm not learning is play through the MGS series.

Kojima being the mad man he is has Japanese characters everywhere even in English mode.

It's nothing major but you can pause the game to translate what the basic Japanese means.

Usually it's just what the English above it is but I think it's still a fun challenge on the side.
>>
>>380243469
Because I'm learning Chinese so I can read my Chinese literature you fucking turbocasual.
>>
>>380247342
What are the implementations of CS?
How does the job that I could get after CS degree differ from that of Software Engineering?
>>
>>380247129
>>380247762
Anki with this plugin https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/942570791
>>
File: 1430280123155.png (86KB, 756x574px) Image search: [Google]
1430280123155.png
86KB, 756x574px
You cannot, repeat, CANNOT learn Japanese
>>
How's the Japanese Duolingo? It's out on web soon.
>>
File: i tried.jpg (77KB, 340x954px) Image search: [Google]
i tried.jpg
77KB, 340x954px
>>380247232
He really wants me to learn nippon so he gets excited when I ask
>>
>>380248025
Security of all kinds, algorithm research, operating systems/compilers, creation and expansion of programming languages, image/voice/... recognition,...

Take programming and remove the boring, monotone parts
>>
>>380248271
you cannot cannot learn japanese
>>
>>380247232
Apparently the JSL series is good for learning grammar because it gives you full explanations instead of "do it this way because it's the right way" like the genki books do. He values the "why" for mastery.
>>
>>380247128
>second year of a degree in japanese.

Jesus christ dude. In that case you're simply bad instead of new. Learning languages isn't for everyone.
>>
>>380248520

>All that most interesting stuff

I feel like CS is a way to go for me then.
>>
File: IMG_1734.jpg (69KB, 513x437px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1734.jpg
69KB, 513x437px
>>380243469
もう特区に話せるわ
けどな、それは直接日本に住んでたし、小学校にも通ってた結果だ
故郷でずーっと暮らしてるお前らには無理やで
>>
>>380248651
>Apparently the JSL series is good for learning grammar

What books are these?
>>
>>380249113
Japanese: the spoken language by jorden and noda
>>
How do I overcome my anxiety so I can meet some Japanese people and practice talking? I know making mistakes is part of learning but hearing the broken ass English that the Japanese makes me laugh and I'd have a hard time holding it in
>>
>>380248934
fuck you and your childhood
>>
>>380248686
What's bad about my japanese? You actually know nothing about my level. I'm not going to call myself good at Japanese, because its a language where you are always learning no matter where you are.

With that in mind, all you're going on is that I said english is a lot easier to read than Japanese. I really don't see what the point in insulting my level of proficiency is when you don't even know it...?

I'm not even angry, I'm just curious as to why you want to act like this.
>>
>>380246581
No it isn't. Each kanji is (mostly) unique. Some kanji include other kanjis within it as a connection, but for the most part they are unique symbols, compared to English where every single word in our language is made up of letters from our single alphabet (made up of 26 letters). That really narrows it down.
>>
What are some good entry level games for someone that has just started reading japanese?
>>
You can't learn japanese
>>
>>380249383
I think you may struggle holding a straight face, but don't worry, they'll probably wanna do the same when you speak their language.
>>
>>380247827

Discrete math, algebra, statistics and probabilities, you can get by pretty fine without having to be a mathematician genius since calculators are a thing.
But mathematics is another (very useful) tool on your toolbox but not the toolbox itself, if you know what I mean. Many modern programming degrees courses don't even include calculus anymore, it torn it apart in a myriad of other courses.

>>380248520
You're right, but still you don't need to be a computer scientist to learn all this stuff, which is very important by the way for any programmer.

Most of those things are included in data structure which is a mandatory course for any development degree, and for me, is by far the most important knowledge you can have if you wish to be a programmer for a living. Many job interviews use data structure to separate bad programmers from actual decent ones. If you have a firm grip on this, then everything else flows pretty nicely.

Not to mention that in this field is less about your degree and more about what you actually know to do, the field is overflowing with self taught people, you can always learn thing by yourself and back your credentials of a system development and analysis degree, if this degree exists in your country. Personally, I graduated in computer science in 2008, but if I was young today, I'd go the technologist road cause time is of the essence and if money is short.

CS is a safe bet for anyone who doesn't have any degree in IT, but it's not the only path.
>>
File: Cl7qw8lVYAE8dFS[1].jpg (88KB, 772x525px) Image search: [Google]
Cl7qw8lVYAE8dFS[1].jpg
88KB, 772x525px
>>380249632
>>
>>380243469
>You CAN learn Japanese.

what the fuck!? all these years she's been telling me that I can't, have I been deceived!?
>>
>>380249569
define just started
if you just started a couple months ago, you cant read anything
>>
>>380249934

another Mandella effect?
>>
>>380249934

She's a strong believer in tough love
>>
>>380250081
I started 6 months ago.
>>
>>380249934
shes been waiting anon
you're ready
>>
>>380247045
you want an idiot gyakuten saiban?
>>
That's funny, I'm learning Japanese and I majoring in Computer Science. I already know about the work culture in Japan so I do not plan on moving there anytime soon, however I certainly will come as a tourist.
>>
I have just started, OP.

How many kanjis are necessary to play games?
>>
Buying a Japanese manga and getting a non-English speaking Japanese native to sit down and walk me through it has been working better than any textbook I've bought.
>>
>>380249569
If your goal is to learn more, anything where the text is read to you so you can quickly throw it into a dictionary for new words.
>>
File: grid.png (182KB, 483x3078px) Image search: [Google]
grid.png
182KB, 483x3078px
>>380247045
fight me irl
>>
The good japanese game are already translated, so, why bother?.
>>
>>380251115
>I'm learning Japanese and I'm majoring in Computer Science
Stop copying me.
>>
>>380251131
>and getting a non-English speaking Japanese native to sit down and walk me through it

Well yeah that's call Tutoring.

I'm happy you have that available but I don't have a pocket Japanese girl at my disposal to translate anime for me
>>
>>380251286
>>380251115
No, you both stop copying me.

Except you won't be copying me in a few weeks when I graduate.
>>
>>380251250
what does missing kanji mean?
>>
>>380243469
>learning japanese
Why would I learn to langage of a bunch of lobotomised robots with no souls? Japan is garbage and so are his people.
>>
>>380251340
Yeah tutoring is very helpful. But I want to stress I am getting tutored using a Japanese manga not a textbook which I think makes it a lot better.
>>
>>380244539
No.
Games are barely worth playing in your native language.
>>
File: heis.png (244KB, 483x3847px) Image search: [Google]
heis.png
244KB, 483x3847px
>>380251368
it means the deck doesn't have any words with some of the kanji of that grade

here's another from my heisig deck
>>
>>380244539
Specific games? No. Opening yourself to all untranslated games is another story, though.
>>
>>380249817
I appreciate the help, anon. I'm not great at math, so I needed to know before I committed to anything.
>>
>>380251392
There are more types of people in Japan than you think.
>>
>>380251118
Try heisig or you could also learn as you go.
>>
>>380251115
>>380251286
>>380251363
I imagine CS is the most popular major among people who have learned/want to learn Japanese and visit 4chan.
>>
>>380243469
People like this really gross me out. Japanese represents a whole culture and people. Yet you choose to learn a language to indulge in consumer products rather than attempting to legitimately learn about these things. I could only imagine your fat sweaty ass singing along in japanese as you watch animated high school girls and the shit post on 4 chan about how much better you are for learning another language. You people are just consumerist trash and it makes me sick
>>
File: 1489529440991.jpg (42KB, 364x309px) Image search: [Google]
1489529440991.jpg
42KB, 364x309px
>>380251851
>>
>>380251851
>plays japanese video games
>doesn't learn japanese
>has to wait for translations
>has to rely on half-assed translations
>has to rely on meme translations
>hates people who don't want to rely on those
>>
>>380251851
Japan seems like a good country to live in.
>>
>>380251667
>honne tatemae
>muh go with the flow and be a mindless sheep culture
>muh work is everything
>muh sucide because Shamefur Dispray
Fucking disgusting
I can't stand beta japanese
>>
>>380251851
You implying that dogshit country has anything more to offer besides anime?
>>
>>380252018
HJAHAHHAHA how delusional
>>
>>380252089
Name 5 countries better to live in than Japan.
>>
>>380252064
Weird porn.
>>
>>380252189
Israel
Denmark
Netherlands
Finland
Singapore
>>
>>380251851
>I don't do anything all day except for being a leech on society and I hate people who put work into doing something for fun
>>
>>380243469
I will, but only in a couple years, after I learn hebrew. Is the japanese grammar difficult?
>>
>>380252189
see >>380252035

>Name 5 countries
Norway
Switzerland
denmark
Finland
lichtenstein
>>
>>380252315
>didn't say Sweden
I wonder why.
>>
>>380252189
Some US states are unironically better than Japan.
>>
>>380252189
Australia. Name one place better to live.
>Melbourne has been ranked by the Economist Intelligence Unit as the world's most liveable city since 2011.
>inb4 muh spiders
>inb4 australians who don't know how good they have it
>>
>>380252018
If you don't need to work to survive for some reason, sure. Otherwise, no way fag.

>>380252189
Syria
>>
>>380252474
Name 5 (3)
>>
>learning a language for some shitty media
>>
>>380251851
Really it doesn't matter what reasons you decide to better yourself in pursuit of
If one guy works out to cultivate physical and mental strength, and another guy works out to crush mad puss, at the end of the day they're both working out and getting in better shape, and they're happy.
Really all that matters is: Are you happy with where you are? Are you happy with where you're going?
>>
>>380252493
Australian women are alcoholic whores.
>>
>>380252261
israel and singapore are a joke right???
>>
>>380252572
and its fucking greaaaaat
>>
>>380252261
I know exactly what you are doing. And you are doing an excellent job at it.
>>
>>380245882
>real life isn't like my weeb escapist media

Why do you think nips are the kings of escapism? It's because their actual society/life is fucking garbage

Plus, why the hell would you want to move to a country you have never even visited before? Absolutely retarded.
>>
>>380252551
I learned Japanese to read eroge featuring little sister characters, what are you gonna do about it?
>>
>>380245882
This
JAPANESE KEKS BTFO
>>
>>380252820
laugh
>>
>>380252493
I actually like having good internet though.
>>
>he is a weeb
>he wants to learn japanese but procrastination is fucking him
>he wants to move to japan
>he thinks it's a paradise
JUST

can't wait for delusional retards to be BTFO when faced against reality
>>
>>380252820
>replying to the "learning a language for hurhrhhrr" bot
Cmon now senpai
>>
>>380252674
I know Israel, but what is wrong with the other four?
>>
File: Yukio Mishima feel.png (18KB, 560x645px) Image search: [Google]
Yukio Mishima feel.png
18KB, 560x645px
Screw vidya

>tfw you will never read japanese lit in it's original language
>>
People who want to learn the language should take into account the difficulty and frequency of many peculiar grammatic phenomena, idioms, and hundreds if not thousands of exceptions to the structural, grammatical or syntax rules, which are daily used in the japanese language. Reading and writing the khan characters is only the tip of the iceberg
>>
File: 1493009095190.png (574KB, 746x847px) Image search: [Google]
1493009095190.png
574KB, 746x847px
>this many people will never read yotsubato
>while continuing to use the site
許さない
>>
Name 10 Japanese games worth playing that aren't translated
>>
Bloke living in Japan teaching English here.

Currently solo drinking sake in apartment drowning sorrows. AMA.
>>
>>380253023
Hard to take people who type like drooling retards seriously, to be honest.
>>
>>380249532
発狂乙、ゴミっちwww
>>
>>380244539
Only if the language you're learning is English.
>>
File: 1485042833451.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485042833451.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>380253501
>drowning sorrows
>>
>>380253501
Did you really think Japan would be the country of your dreams? Why did you let delusions cloud your vision?
>>
>>380253571
Why's the Japanese "lol" "www"?
Doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>>380253501
do your students respect you
>>
>>380253510
>on /v/
>muh writing decency
found the retarded and delusional weeb.
>>
>>380243469
Because I take one look at Kanji and nope the fuck out.
>>
>>380253501
Who do you work for?
>>
>>380252189
You can't if you lived in Japan.
>>
>>380253639
笑い is warai so i always figured it was short for that
>>
>>380253683
Don't ever leave /v/ and plague other boards with your presence, please.
>>
>>380253628
>生たい
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>380253770
It's ok I don't behave like that, ever heard of board culture?
>>
>>380253662
Yep cus I work for quite a difficult to get into private school.

Had to do a shitty conversation school job for a year first to get here.

getting pleasantly buzzed now. Fuck woman. Feelings a shit.
>>
>>380250243
Literally just choose any kid's game, then read along with a walkthrough video of the english version. Beware of the liberal translation for Youkai Watch if you happen to choose that.
>>
>>380253709
Can't say that anonfriend
>>
>>380253828
>private school.
You have a licence to teach? How did you get it?
>>
>>380253828
Are Japanese girls sluts, anon?
Tell me about your problems.
>>
>>380253501
Why did you leave your country in the first place?
Are you one of those delusional /jp/tards who think than japan is great while actually having a false view of the country through anime/manga only?
>>
>>380243469
I learned Japanese on impulse several years ago when there were daily threads here. Me having a knack for languages and always wanting to learn 6th one, the sheer wealth of starting guides provided in those threads compelled me to jump into it on a whim. Learned about 1700 Kanji(read/type only, stroke ordering that many in a year is impossible) in less than a year and zapped right through all Genki and that Korean's guide and made it into advanced college material and a point where you can only learn more by reading/consuming Japanese media and interacting with people in Japanese. But alas I'm not a weeaboo and have little interest in Japan and now many years later I forgot more than half by not maintaining it. I keep thinking about retriggering my memory of it, just so that year don't go to waste.
>>
>>380252189
Any Scandinavian country that's not Sweden. Also Switzerland.
>>
>>380251851
I don't really like japan but like their media.
>>
>>380253828
I'm looking to make the jump from conversation school to real teacher at a real school. What do I need to do to pull it off like you did?
>>
Is the internet in Japan as shit as the internet in America? From what I've heard, most people in Japan don't even own PCs so I can't imagine it's that good.
>>
>>380253501
What do you need to teach English over there?
Idk, if I have Cambridge Proficiency, am I good?
>>
>>380254079
>I learned Japanese on impulse several years ago
>Learned about 1700 Kanji(read/type only, stroke ordering that many in a year is impossible) in less than a year and zapped right through all Genki and that Korean's guide
you barely started if you never read anything and still believe kanji is japanese
>>
>>380254008
Nothing major anonfriend. The usual global women problems. I like grill. Hang out for ages all day every day with grill. She likes someone else who just returned from holiday and will likely be sexing. So back to sake.

Same problems that has faced man since the dawn of time.
>>
>>380252018
Nice to live but I'd rather retire somewhere else
>>
>>380243469
Are there any educational games that would make learning japanese FUN?
>>
File: 1434478495939.jpg (36KB, 482x427px) Image search: [Google]
1434478495939.jpg
36KB, 482x427px
>>380243469
because i'm too stupid and my memory is shit
>>
>>380254079
>learn 6th one
How old are you and are you fluent in all of those languages or close to fluency?
Tell me your secrets, anon. I'm also interested in learning multiple languages.
>>
>>380254135
Fuck posting on shitty old iPhone so hard to keep up.

I knew the management here, I am a qualified teacher in Britbong land. Gained experience doing the conversation school grind (fuck that pink bunny), and voila. You too can sit in a small apartment and get drunk! 3 lessons tomorrow feck.
>>
>>380254274
Well I did read manga for short while, but like I said I'm not a weeaboo. I do understand an awful lot of what they say in Japanese porn and notice that the translations are often completely made up. I did learn all the conjugations and shit, not like I only learned kanji
>>
>>380254496
Well I was raised in three languages, French in elementary school and Latin in high school. I studied Japanese when I was 23, 27 now
>>
>>380254454
KOE
It looks like shit tho
>>
>>380254263
Be a native speaker and have a degree, nothing else. Bar for teaching in Asia is so fucking low, more posh schools and those with a big English speaking population like Singapore or Hong Kong require good credentials
>>
>>380254501
You teach English at a Japanese school or is it one of those all classes in English schools?
>>
Too old now.
>>
>>380254669
Swiss?
>>
I'm going to do it but not right now.

>>380245882
I already work for a Japanese company offshore, I'm already looking to quit and I don't want to have anything to do with what they have locally for work.

I actually want to have some fun with my life.
>>
>>380254748
Nah not an international school. Japanese school.
>>
>>380253501
Hows the pay? Heard its above average from typical salaryman salaries.
>>
>>380254701
What does it matter if I'm a native speaker or not?
With a CPE, I'm pretty much proving my English is exceptional.
>>
>>380254854
Belgian
>>
>>380254879
So I'm guessing a JLPT level requirement. N1 or N2?
>>
>>380254847
Never too old to learn new things, languages especially.
Never too old to make excuses for your own mediocrity either, apparently.
>>
>>380244721
>able to read traditional Chinese
>go in expecting easy shit
>there's Jap only characters
>shit has more than one meaning

Threw me off a bit
>>
>>380254904
Have a bachelors? Then you are fine. Just make sure you have all the paperwork to prove your English is good enough when you apply.
>>
>>380254693
In theory it seems quite nice idea tho, adding that Pokemonesque vibe to memorizing hiragana instead of critter names. I'll keep that in mind if the game is finished in the near future.
>>
>>380255109
What about my Japanese level? How fluent would I need to be?
>>
>>380255091
>>shit has more than one meaning
Yeah shit is very context sensitive. I think to properly understand Japanese you have to think like one, like some hivemind where gibberish suddenly makes sense. That's just my take on it. I think it legitimately rewires your brain
>>
>>380254904
If you're white you should be fine, Asians have a tougher time even if they're fluent. Japs and rest of Asians probably have an issue with authenticity or skill and a native speaker must clearly be better than some non native.
>>
>>380253782
Come on now, it's a nice wordplay.
>>
>>380255425
Depending on the company and job fluent to none. It'll be listed in the job postings.
>>
>working in Japan
Sounds horrible.
>>
>>380255567
Sorry. It might surprise you, but I'm autistic.
>>
>>380255485
I found Chinese to be much easier, tones and pronunciation are tough at first but you get used to it quickly and the grammar is quite similar to English with the subject-object-verb structure.
>>
File: 7432783287923.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
7432783287923.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>380245882
Japan's culture is garbage but that doesnt mean that its not worth learning the language. I only care about video games and VNs and im loving it. I would love to visit Japan someday but to live there would be a whole different story.
>>
>read through tae kim
ye because understanding and memorizing 300 pages of grammar constructs is so easy. and even after that you cannot watch anime without subs.
>>
>>380255874
fuck I meat SVO
>>
>>380255819
Yeah especially that first part
>>
>>380253639
"w" stands for "warai" which means "laugh" in Japanese, I think.
>>
>>380243469
I can read and understand japanese but I can't write or form grammatically correct sentences, mostly because I'm lazy and already know hanzi so I only learned just the right amount to play games and watch anime and read manga and LN
>>
Is knowing the stroke order really that important in learning Japanese?
>>
>>380256687
It's the difference between writhing and drawing the words
>>
>>380256687
It helped me with some stuff. Like I was finally able to get シ/ツ down once someone explained their strokes to me.
>>
>>380256759
*writing
>>
>>380256687
Only if you want to learn how to write for some reason.
>>
>>380256687
When writing a t in English is writing the vertically vs horizontal line first important?
>>
>>380243469
Dear OP. I love Japanese games. I give those who make them a credit.
But pretending to be an Japanese Guy will make me an complete weeaboo.
TY
>>
>>380257053
Actually thats a bad example. When writing B is it important whether you drawn the verticle line or the humps first? That's a better analagy.
>>
>>380252018
If you're rich, yes.
>>
File: 1480844493730.gif (63KB, 336x309px) Image search: [Google]
1480844493730.gif
63KB, 336x309px
How about those blowjob bars though?
>>
>>380257053
Completely different story given how simplistic the English alphabet is.
>>
>>380243469
日本語を習うがとても難しい
>>
>>380257385
for you
>>
>>380257316
Those what now
>>
>>380243469
>play japanese game
>game has an english option

for what purpose?
>>
>>380256687
Knowing how they're written helps when reading different fonts.
>>
>>380257385
if you're retarded
別にそんなむずくはないよ、お前はただのアホだからかなww
>>
今日は
俺わ日本
>>
File: akko.png (26KB, 283x232px) Image search: [Google]
akko.png
26KB, 283x232px
>>380257385
>putting a verb in the middle of a sentence without normalising it with a こと or conjugating it to て-form
It sure is.

I shouldn't be lecturing you though, I got through the first block of Tae Kim lessons and abandoned grammar study; I really need to pick that shit up
>>
>>380257385
You need a の or こと in that sentence, or better yet, just drop を習う
>>
>>380257703
really the only thing holding me back is my lack of comprehension when it comes to learning grammar
>>
My reasons to learn Japanese
Be able to read light novels
Be able to play all the good h-games

... And that's it. Am I missing anything?
>>
File: BARRY BEES THOSE BENSONS.jpg (32KB, 187x184px) Image search: [Google]
BARRY BEES THOSE BENSONS.jpg
32KB, 187x184px
>>380243469
>It's not too hard
>>
File: 1473903776556.jpg (88KB, 766x766px) Image search: [Google]
1473903776556.jpg
88KB, 766x766px
>>380245882
>Computer science
>Not computer engineering
>>
>>380258120
>My reasons
That's all you need, why would you care about anything else?
>>
>>380258120
the satisfaction of bettering one self
>>
>>380243469
but op, i dont lean on japanese people
>>
>>380258087
Oh yeah, that can't be easy for Germanic people. People like Polish and Finnish have it easy, can make sense of any sentence order with our wacky conjugations
>>
>>380258243
But im just learning the language to be more of a degenerate. Isn't there something wrong with that?
>>
>>380258120
You can watch Mifune's movies in their original language
>>
>>380258701
nope, because now you can come to 4chan to laugh at other degenerates that don't know the language
>>
>>380251851
We all gotta start somewhere, using it on games/manga is how we know we've accomplished this nigh impossible task. I'm sure plenty of people branch off and learn more about Japanese culture after mastering the language first
>>
File: pretending to be retarded.jpg (100KB, 826x660px) Image search: [Google]
pretending to be retarded.jpg
100KB, 826x660px
>>380258120
my reasons are:

going straight to the source and playing them in their original language. people do this for books but get angry if you say you wanna do it for video games.

meet a girl, get in good with her and her family, practically be set for life with a home since the eldest daughter/son lives with the parents to help take care of them, have a roof over my head, have a house to live in indefinitely, have children, raise them to be not elliot rodgers

that's how i plan to live my quiet life.
>>
File: 1643767743.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1643767743.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>380259158
>marrying an asian
They're easy to fuck, anon, not as easy to love.
>>
>>380258120
Don't forget Hentai

If they aren't going to bother to translate it then I'll just learn your language, Fuck you Japan
>>
>>380243469
why dont i do anything?
i just work and go to bed
its because i dont actually like anything
its because i dont want to live
>>
File: 1337621351794.jpg (163KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1337621351794.jpg
163KB, 600x600px
>>380258120
>Be able to read light novels
>>
>>380246170
>That's a shame they never modernised it. Do they even care if you mostly use katakana and hiragana anyway?
Don't do this, it's fucking annoying. Consistency is important, it becomes a cluster fuck when young people start deciding to write words in kana when a kanji/kanji+kana spelling is common. It happens here and there with manga writers and people hate it.
>>
but what are some actual good japanese games i should play

t. studied abroad N2
>>
File: 1494109551889.jpg (145KB, 749x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494109551889.jpg
145KB, 749x720px
>>380243469
Is there a forum/discord/steam group for people learning nip that you guys visit?
It's always better to learn something new with a group of surrounded people learning the same thing.
Tried lurking djt and reddit for a while, but those are both shit for different reasons.
>>
File: 1439788867859.jpg (50KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1439788867859.jpg
50KB, 720x480px
>>380259741
Ciel no Surge is why I'm learning Japanese.
Pity it has University specialist-tier terminology.
>>
>>380243469
Sounds like a complete waste of time
>>
>>380260110
>he says as he spends yet another day on 4chan shitposting
>>
>>380243469
I've been teaching myself moon runes lightly while full time working for the past three years. I'm just now able to make a full time commitment to it and I'm having a blast. Wanikani has been a huge help w/ my kanji and I recommend everyone interested in JP to check it out - first 3 levels are free and you can get a 50% off coupon w/ a quick google search to pay only 5$ a month for it.

Original goal learning JP was to read JP horror novels/watch cheesy JP horror movies but I've grown to love reading/writing it greatly.
>>
>>380259489
true, i made a friend today who told me how annoying they are to date

it's very difficult to get to know one intimately. they all seemed closed off, almost they don't want you to.

im autistic and cannot love, especially after i dumped my gf. i can only pretend to feel what love feels like. it makes me feel hollow that i can't actually feel it.
>>
>>380259993
i tried playing it without really actually knowing what it was so i got all of like 20 minutes into the game and all i was doing was touching a girl through the touchscreen to get some sort of interaction, so i dropped it
>>
>>380259643
So I like to read. The fuck you going to do about it?
>>
>>380259741
Baldr Sky
>>
>>380260352
>Wanikani has been a huge help w/ my kanji and I recommend everyone interested in JP to check it out - first 3 levels are free and you can get a 50% off coupon w/ a quick google search to pay only 5$ a month for it.
Thank you for the heads-up fellow Anonymous Poster! Wanikani© sounds like just the service I need to be on the right track to learn Japanese. I going to recommend it to my own friends too!
>>
File: 1442334574218.png (21KB, 516x453px) Image search: [Google]
1442334574218.png
21KB, 516x453px
>wanikani
>>
It's too hard :3
>>
File: Ion.jpg (995KB, 960x1335px) Image search: [Google]
Ion.jpg
995KB, 960x1335px
>>380260603
It's a tamagochi/visual novel hybrid.
You check in on the girl every now and again, talk to her, and as you get closer to her over time new sections of the story unlock.

Your interactions with her are realtime as well, so if she goes in the bath at 8PM for example it means she'll be unavailable for the duration and you'll have to play around with the game's other features for the interim. I think there's also a barcode scanning function like monster rancher.
If you've played Ar Tonelico though it fits into that series' universe so you're mainly here for the girl and/or story.
>>
File: 1407258826906.jpg (754KB, 1932x1928px) Image search: [Google]
1407258826906.jpg
754KB, 1932x1928px
>>
>>380253432
>ba-shi-fu
What kind of onomatopoeia is that?
The sound of someone being hit/bashed by something soft?
>>
>>380243469
fuck off weaboo trash
>>
File: 1255390201133.jpg (16KB, 208x206px) Image search: [Google]
1255390201133.jpg
16KB, 208x206px
>>380261403
Damn Anon it was just a recommendation. Sorry if it sounded like a commercial. Chill the fuck out nigga.
>>
>>380261848
It's ばしっ.
>>
>>380243469
>To read a sentence but by half a year or a full year you should be able to play pokemon, phoenix wright and maybe even persona by then.

I think you're full of it.
>>
>>380261663
>if she goes in the bath at 8PM for example it means she'll be unavailable for the duration
Let me know when there's an adult version where you can go after her.
>>
File: 1482831632016.jpg (112KB, 650x560px) Image search: [Google]
1482831632016.jpg
112KB, 650x560px
no game is worth learning this ching chong for, translators more autistic than you will get to it eventually
I'm still gonna learn it, I wanna use vocaloids in their native tongue
>>
>>380262295
>translators more autistic than you will get to it eventually

Oh goody. More censored games like Criminal Girls 2.
>>
>>380261957
Oh it's a small tsu not fu. So really it's just saying Bashi!
Cool.
>>
File: quality translation.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
quality translation.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>380262295
>translators more autistic than you will get to it eventually
They are also often worse than you can be in 2 years of studying.
>>
Why on Earth would I want to learn Japanese? German, French or Spanish would be a lot more useful.
>>
>>380262489
Why on Earth would I want to play games, listen to music, watch movies and have fun?
Working 16 hours a day would be a lot more useful.
>>
File: 1495077028195.jpg (85KB, 475x641px) Image search: [Google]
1495077028195.jpg
85KB, 475x641px
I learned it for the loli porn.
Games are secondary.
>>
>>380262587
>play games, listen to music, watch movies and have fun
And what does that have to do with learning Japanese? Jap music and film industries are total shit.
>>
File: 1494243235634.jpg (32KB, 415x292px) Image search: [Google]
1494243235634.jpg
32KB, 415x292px
>>380244125
>>
>>380262697
Not specifically Japanese.
Doing any of it is a waste of time when you could earn money instead.
You waste your time every day. But it's not a waste if you have fun doing it.
>>
File: 1470005056596.gif (125KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1470005056596.gif
125KB, 126x126px
>>380262489
>French
>>
>>380262459
then you wait for uncensored
unless it's an xbox exclusive EVENTUALLY emulation or homebrew will catch up and bash the translated dialogue into the original nip, most of the time not even that long (I think criminal girls on steam has an uncensor mod?)
hopefully censorshit is falling out of style too, don't remember the last major controversy like when treehouse went nuclear on FE
and really, criminal girls isn't something you'd learn one of the most difficult written languages to play
>>
>>380261557
This is such a terrible way to remember radicals. Is that even a radical? I know the right part is one.

The best way to learn Japanese is by actually reading and writing. Not these shitty flashcard/list methods which attempt to categorize thousands of kanji and words.

Start off with genki textbook. Move on to children's books if you can find any, or manga. You'll spend a long time getting through even one chapter of manga, but the important part is that it's training your mind, re-identifying words you've already learned and being able to deduce a word's meaning is how it'll be retained. It's all about input.

You have to be extremely autistic or have a really unique working brain to learn Japanese from lists.
>>
>>380262976
>then you wait for uncensored

>wait for something that shouldn't have been censored in the first place.

自殺して。
>>
>>380262797
Money is a waste of good paper. We should have an international money burning day
>>
I'm neeting it up right now so learning Japanese is a possible venture, but when I get busy with job stuff, I don't know how I'll keep up with it. Also seems much more useful to spend all that time learning japanese on learning stuff useful for my field. If I learned it it'd be for playing games slightly early, because they get translated in 6 months, eh.
>>
>>380243469
I'm very good at learning languages, but intuitively. How am I supposed to be exposed to nihongo if I can't even begin to read the hieroglyphs?
>>
>>380243469
>Why don't you lean japanese, to play your Japanese games?

Let's see...

>no significant interest in anime
>aware that Japan is just as normal as every other country and doesn't care about nerd shit
>not a fan of Japan's passive, collectivist culture
and quite literally the only point that matters
>every Japanese game remotely worthwhile is being localized these days
>>
>>380263097
it's a shitty situation but it affects relatively few games at this point
is there any censored game nowadays that hasn't already been decensored and sincerely warrants learning a new language for?
>>
>>380263310
>they get translated in 6 months
If you have no taste and only care about mainstream vidya. Lots of gems are left untranslated.
>>
>>380243469
Language based learning disability. I haven't even mastered English yet.
>>
>>380263310
The only reason to read Japanese is if the stuff you're interested in is consistently not being translated.
If so, go for broke, you get to enjoy your media and it'll keep your brain from rotting as you get older. If not though, fuck it, it's a herculean effort and that time can be better spent elsewhere.
>>
>>380263449

Like what? Anything I've been interested in has had a fan translation. I also don't give a shit about light novels, they're the lowest form of reading possible.
>>
>>380262804
this, French's uselessness is on par with Italian
>>
>>380262797
>implying earning money isn't a waste of time
>>
>>380263830
at least with italian you might be able to impress a mob boss some day on the off chance you interact with the mafia, what's french get you? omelette du fromage points and being able to interact with parisians who pretend to not know english?
>>
>>380262797
>Doing any of it is a waste of time when you could earn money instead.

>working 40 hours a week earning something that the government takes right back off you
>>
File: nihongo muzukashii.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nihongo muzukashii.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>380263830
French is much more useful than Italian, at least someone else in the world speaks it, mainly Arabs. Italian is plain useless.
>>
File: djt learns japanese.jpg (129KB, 855x878px) Image search: [Google]
djt learns japanese.jpg
129KB, 855x878px
>2017
>still using flashcards
>>
>>380243469
That picture is a lie.
I cannot learn japanese.
>>
>>380244642
Pretty reasonable been learning nip for a year now and my brain has no room for a 3rd language.
>>
>>380246781
That's normal if you're not used to the script. Study radicals if you want to be able to distinguish characters faster and at a glance.
>>
Learning a language for fun?? How could you be so fucking selfish? You should learn a language that will get you sent on constant shitty business trips to second world countries so Shekelsburg can afford his fifth yacht.
>>
>>380265019
>know radicals
>still doesn't help
>>
>>380264642
>at least someone else in the world speaks it,
Oh yes, you'll greatly impress the locals if you ever fancy traveling to fucking New Caledonia.
>>
>>380264064
"Bonjour mademoiselle" to that one japanese woman you're trying to court? I heard it works quite well.
>>
>>380265160
>tfw learning your third language when starving children in Africa can't even write on their first language
>>
I need to learn japanese so I can shitpost on 2ch.net
>>
>>380265209
Then practise reading more, and maybe try your hand at writing as well. There really aren't any shortcuts here.
>>
File: le arrow meme.jpg (207KB, 1278x721px) Image search: [Google]
le arrow meme.jpg
207KB, 1278x721px
Wow, sure it was worth learning Japanese for being able to experience the superior Japanese writing and humor!
>>
>>380265387
>tfw about half of the French youth can barely write theirs
>>
File: 1486067601815.jpg (115KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1486067601815.jpg
115KB, 1024x1024px
I learned Japanese solely for eroge and also changed my major to Japanese language and culture studies after clearing N1 level. I don't even play regular Japanese games that much, just eroge and other all ages VNs.

For those wondering about starting, self-studying is a lot faster than university or even worse community college courses, especially if it's some shit like only one or two lectures a week. You don't even need to go full NEET, as long as you do something everyday and keep a steady pace you'll get there. Worst thing beginners try to do is cram in shittons of information in a span of few days, get tired and demoralized then drop everything thinking Japanese is "difficult". Kanji are the sole time consuming phase, and those are dealt with just by studying a handful every day. To further drive down the point that beginner aimed community college and other courses (even most workbooks) are shit, they usually start kanji very late when in fact they're not difficult to understand but only time consuming, meaning the earlier you start drilling them the better.

>>380264740
To be honest you don't need to have good productive skills (writing / speaking) in order to have good media consumption skills (reading / listening comprehension). Since the main reason people learn Japanese is consuming untranslated media it follows that training the latter skills is a lot more important. That's one reason why the JLPT tests aren't really good measure of actual language skills if they want to gauge how well people would be able to study or work in Japan, as the JLPT tests are mostly about reading and listening comprehension + kanji and few bits of grammar. Every part is multiple choice questions.
>>
>>380265278
Chill, anon, I'm just stating a fact. It's not like I'm going to stop you from learning Italian or something. I guess there are plenty of /co/-related reasons to learn both Italian and French, anyways.
>>
>>380265583
What kind of arrow? Meme, knee?
>>
>>380265583
US GAMERS RITE
>>
>>380266070
> I guess there are plenty of /co/-related reasons to learn both Italian and French
You mean those French comics with lewd witches?
>>
>>380265583
まさかとは思うけど…皮肉でそれ言ってるのか?
>>
File: Omelette-du-fromage-Dexter.jpg (44KB, 496x368px) Image search: [Google]
Omelette-du-fromage-Dexter.jpg
44KB, 496x368px
>>380265356
>omelette du fromage points
but yes
>>
>>380266285
Those too, I guess. France has a pretty big comic/BD market, if I'm not mistaken. The Euro threads on /co/ are mostly about franco-belgian BDs. Italian comics are rarer, but I think a lot of people like Corto Maltese. Plus, if you like Disney, knowing Italian comes in handy.
>>
>>380267619
>>380266285
the french are pretty high up on the animation totem pole, there might be a powergap but they're still basically in third after japs and burgers
>>
>>380267769
They only really make kiddie cartoons.
>>
>>380268268
Those French hips will save anime
>>
>>380268268
Kiddie cartoons in French means Wakfu?
>>
>>380243469
I would but the sentence structuring is a bitch.
>>
>>380243469
No game nor anime it's worth having to learn a primitive useless lenguage
>>
>>380243469
お前ら…英語ができるのにそれ以上を望むのか…

欧米人はいいよなぁ、英語が簡単に習得できて。日本人の俺は滅茶苦茶苦労したぞ。
>>
>>380269067
うっぜ、アホ。英語は簡単。
>>
>>380269480
お前が欧米人ならそれを言う権利はないぞ(´Д⊂ヽ
>>
>>380245806
is tharcia really that good? like what makes it any different than the other ones.
>>
>>380269910
言語が簡単。お前はただの怠け者だよ。
>>
>>380248285
It's actually pretty good as a beginner's resource. I helped alpha test the thing and it's gotten a lot better since I started with it.
>>
>>380270383
お前何人なの?
>>
>>380258202
Depending on where you live, the status between these changes.

Here in ex-Commie land, engineers are the laughing stocks that need to be re-taught high school maths in the first year.

Going by what I've heard from /g/, it's more or less the opposite in the US. CS removed all math, now brings up shitty web/Java devs while engineering retains its quality.
>>
>>380270551
日本人は箸を使える。だから、俺は日本人。
>>
>>380265583
What VN?
>>
>>380243469
>but by half a year or a full year you should be able to play pokemo
Japanese IS hard don't try to downplay it, you can play pokemon with a dictionary after just a couple of months of study in something like French or Spanish.
>>
>>380272215
But French and Spanish are both completely worthless languages nobody should ever learn for any possible reason.

It's like cooking a ready meal instead of a steak. Sure, it's less effort, but it's not something you actually want to do.
>>
File: 1496536605868.jpg (27KB, 680x309px) Image search: [Google]
1496536605868.jpg
27KB, 680x309px
>>380263576
I'm so sorry anon. If it makes you feel any better, I have almost completely forgotten my native language. I don't even live in an English speaking country
>>
>>380244539
bitch police by oneone1
>>
I'm worried I'm too old to get a job teaching there. Just turned 31 and have no college background.
>>
>>380244539
The Witcher. So you can hear "Kurwa" a lot, the way it was meant
>>
>>380273181
ja pierdole
>>
>>380261403
Todd, I didn't know you were selling Japanese programs now.
>>
>>380272871
Anyone?
>>
>>380275725
Hello anon
>>
>>380276009
Hello anon, am I too old for this shit?
>>
>>380276195
Yes, far too old.

But why would you care? It's a shit place to live and English teaching is a glorified babysitting job in Japan.
>>
>>380243469
What are some good japanese games that aren't for weebs and run on PC?
>>
>>380276438
Yeah, I'm aware that the job is shit, work culture is brutal, and all that. Still, it would be worth trying instead of staying in a dead end retail job.
>>
>>380272871
just teach people over skype, knew a guy who did that when i was over there for 2500 yen an hour
>>
I'm trying anon, give me a year or so
>>
>>380264064

Not him but I'm considering French as a third language because I have a lot of interest in Joan of Ar and a lot of works about her have not been translated. Also I like Camus and Decartes a lot, though I guess it would be more appropriate to learn latin for Descartes.
>>
>>380276980
I'd say it's still not worth trying, but I'm actually not sure if English teachers in Japanese schools are mostly native Japanese or foreigners.

It's fairly simple for native Japanese to learn English, but they'd have to learn a lot to teach it. On the other hand, foreigners need a high level of fluency in Japanese to effectively communicate with Japanese students. So I'm guessing it's mixed.
>>
>>380280452

I always heard the JET program preferred you to not have Japanese knowledge
>>
>>380252189
More like name 5 countries with more terror attacks
-UK
-sweden
-france
-germany
-syria
Poland is good because they're actually doing something about terror attacks and preventing immigration
>>
>>380245882
Will learning computer science bring you happiness?
>>
>>380280452
>>380280973
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I get the impression from media that Japanese really think that native english speakers make the best english teachers, so I would image most english teachers in japan are native speakers.
I always thought this was kind of weird, because if you're a native speaker, of course you understand the language, but you can't really easily describe why a sentence might be wrong, it will just feel wrong to you, whereas someone who learned the language could relate to the students' struggles more.
>>
I'm spanish native and learned english
Don't feel the need to learn any other language at all. I have better ways to spend my time, like shitposting here for instance.
>>
File: 1496240848758.jpg (47KB, 480x462px) Image search: [Google]
1496240848758.jpg
47KB, 480x462px
>>380281132
It's funny how western cuck leaders are ignoring the effectiveness of not letting them in, almost like they have ulterior motives for letting in "fugees" and do not really care about the lives of natives
>>
>>380282030

On the other hand, learning a language to that extent takes years and years of practice and immersion, and you're less likely to have a terrible accent and such if you're listening to a native speaker.

Maybe I should look into JET, I live in the linoma corridor or however the fuck it's spelled.
>>
I'm learning japanese so that I can understand VNs just by listening. I hate reading.
>>
>>380282328
>koninsberg included as part of Poland
watch out lad
Referring to the topic, the game I wanted to learn Jap for got translated last year and so my motivation disappeared. can't be helped
>>
>>380282261
But knowing english isn't anything special this days. I feel like everyone I know speaks it in poland.
>>
>>380282030
I believe that there's been a recent push to change the teacher import program to only take people with english degrees or other teaching experience, so every joe schmoe from burgerstan can't get an easy gig talking to japs in english while not knowing a word of their language or how to teach it
also japs fucking hate english teachers, around the same level as marines
>>
File: 1461243254507.jpg (101KB, 513x486px) Image search: [Google]
1461243254507.jpg
101KB, 513x486px
>>380282586
>>
>people wanting to live in Japan

Hope you enjoy forced unpaid overtime. If you complain you get fired and the company denies everything if you file a complaint with the government.
>>
>>380285074
You and I must be living in two different Polands. Most people here have worse English than Indian street shitters.
>>
File: jeans.jpg (54KB, 973x594px) Image search: [Google]
jeans.jpg
54KB, 973x594px
I wish anki would stop mocking me.
>>
>>380286913
Other Polak here I agree. Poles think they can speak English, but I've seen Russian movie villains perform a better job at it
>>
>>380244125
I hope this doesn't bug you much, but I exclusively play nihon games only.
>>
>>380246628
t.virgin
>>
>>380288295
please explain to poor EOP
>>
>>380286574
Yeah, I'm planning to become a translator and due to nature of their job the vast majority work freelance from the comfort of their own homes, even from abroad. I'm sure there exists other job types where Japanese language gets used as well if you want to use it in work.

Why would anyone want to willingly become a wagecuck in fucking Japan of all places?
>>
>>380288295
delete the card, mine stuff from games/stuff you read, prebuilt decks are a horrible meme. actually anki in general is.
>>
>>380285074
It isn't about being special, it's about convenience
English is an universal language and knowing it can pretty much get you anywhere, there really isn't any need to learn any other language outside of specific situations like that one untranslated doujin.
>>
File: 84jwef.gif (422KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
84jwef.gif
422KB, 500x255px
This shit takes forever. I just want to read my chink slideshows and I sort of can but I need to use a text hooker due to all those runes I still don't know.
>>
File: 050.jpg (153KB, 847x1200px) Image search: [Google]
050.jpg
153KB, 847x1200px
My lifelong dream is to one day be fluent at Japanese. I've been doing anki vocab religiously for the past year and a half and have read the grammar guides. I mine words I don't recognize so I can learn them.

Right now I'm trying to read through Takagi-san which uses super simple Japanese and can correctly read about 60% of it.
>>
>>380243469
>tfw just started and i'm 26

H-here i go.
>>
>>380243469
I want to. I learned all the kana when I was like 14. I'm going to be 25 in January. I'm going back to school and it's a lot, and I don't know how to manage my time between work/vidya&animu/japanese learning. Plus, I'm a retard.

I want to visit Tokyo again for the Olympics in 2020.
>>
>>380289475
Yeah i've noticed the 2k6k deck has a lot of work related words, there are like 10 fucking different word for "operation" and "organization".
I'm at 50% right now though so i don't know if i should stop.
Kinda wish there was a better prebuilt deck since i can't really be assed with the whole mining thing.
>>
>>380290935
Get rid of video games and anime and you'll be good. Unless you're using them to help you learn.
>>
>Learn English
>Learn a handful of symbols
>Can read shit
>Only hard part is pronunciation
Well that was easy. Writing and grammar is easy, pronunciation is fucking stupid but ok, I can listen to it just fine.

>Japanese
>Learn 2 syllabaries, each with about 50 symbols
>Can't read anything substantial because of all the runes
>2k kanji if you want to be at the level of a high schooler
>Each kanji has 2 or more readings
Easy pronunciation, and the syllabaries are ok I guess. Extra shit that feels kinda overkill but not hard at all. But fuck having to use modern day hieroglyphics. As an ESL, Japanese is a fucking grind to go through holy shit. But I'm doing it for my weebshit. At least it's not complicated to know what reading to use.
Thread posts: 400
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.