[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which do you prefer, 3D Sandbox/Collectathon Platformers where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Banjo Tooie.jpg (48KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
Banjo Tooie.jpg
48KB, 450x338px
Which do you prefer, 3D Sandbox/Collectathon Platformers where you can get everything on your first visit to a world, or one where you need to go back after getting a new power?
And if the game does the latter, would you like an indicator you can't get everything in the world until you get required powers, or would you feel that spoils the game/world?
>>
>>380232565
This is a tough question. I enjoyed Kazooie far more than Tooie and I think this was a big reason why. The backtracking felt a bit overwhelming at points. I'm definitely not opposed to it, and I think it can add a lot to a game.

I definitely enjoy backtracking in games like Super Metroid, there is no question about it.
>>
>>380232565
Why would ANYONE prefer the second option?
>>
BT >>>>> BK
>>
>>380233540
It makes the world feel connected and less linear. One thing I really liked about Banjo-Tooie is that every world felt more relevant because they were all connected. There are portals from one world to the other, some things you do in one world lets you get a jiggy in another, moves you get later let you get jiggies in previous worlds. It's about creating a sense of freedom. You can cruise through grabbing jiggies, when you get bored of that world, you move on to the next. You learn a new move in that level that reminds you of that one thing in the previous level that stumped you and you realise "oh shit, now I can do that" so you go back to it. It's interesting, albeit controversial game design.
>>
>>380233540
in Wario Land 3 it's pretty fun getting new powers and trying to think back on previous levels and what new things you can do.
>>
>>380232565
A mix of the two. You can get almost everything on your first visit, but there are reasonably sized new areas you can't access until you come back with a new power. That way it's not just going back through the same place getting all the shit you missed, you get to explore parts of the level that were out of your reach before.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.