[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NEW SONIC FORCES AND MANIA GAMEPLAY https://www.youtube.com

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 32

File: 1496171220888.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496171220888.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
NEW SONIC FORCES AND MANIA GAMEPLAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZr5U203Hw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac_WyGhg_C8
>>
>>380211545
>so any shadow?
>yeah so we kinda have an all star ca-
>so where is shadow
my man
>>
Forces looks terrible. Dont care that much for mania since it has all the rehash shit. Sonic just rehashes so much now, didnt use to be like this when i grew up with him. Ah well
>>
>another shitty 3d sonic game
can't wait until DSP plays it
>>
>>380213007
Why did they decide that every game has to be full of old shit all the sudden, anyway?
Every major game from the Genesis original up through Colors was made up almost entirely of original content, but now it looks like the games are required to meet some rehash quota for no discernible reason.
>>
>>380214846
I dont know. But colors was the last sonic game i bought and was disappointed in with the level design and story. Now everything is just remaking the old
>>
>>380213007
na
>>
>>380212092
Geoff is my nigga
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZr5U203Hw
>we've kind of evolved and inherited a lot of the things that fans and critics alike said they liked about 3D Sonic, stuff like Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations
This is it, isn't it? This is why we have wisps and rehashed stages in everything now.

It's Sega seeing that people liked Colors, and coming to the conclusion that what made people like Colors was the new wisp mechanic, rather than the quality of the level themes, gameplay, presentation, being like Unleashed minus Werehog, or any other factor.

It's Sega seeing that people liked Generations, and coming to the conclusion that it was because of the old stages and the inclusion of classic Sonic, rather than because it was most of the good things about Unleashed without most of the bad things about Unleashed.
It's probably the reason we're getting Sonic Mania as well, and of course with rehashed stages.

They have no idea what the fuck to do with the series, are just looking at the games with the highest Metacritic ratings, looking at ONLY the elements those games happened to do differently than the others, and including those elements in everything going forward.
This is actually there strategy, isn't it?

Fuck me this is retarded.
>>
>>380211545
>Forces looks like dogshit
>Mania is a rehash romhack that many people are now turning against
GG Sega.

>>380213007
>>380214846
>>380215595
>tfw seeing Mania go from a generally hyped game to being universally regarded as the rehash it is
Manianiggers BTFO.
>>
Where's Silver
>>
>>380213432
I wouldn't wish DSP on the worst game in existence.
>>
>>380217984
This.I need to see my nigga.
Wasn't it confirmed he's also in the story somewhere?
>>
>>380217787
I haven't turned against Mania. I was always against including old stages, but it still looks far better than most anything else the series has given us in ages, and at least it seems like the developers tried their best to make them feel new and different in Act 2, even with the shitty 'include lots of old levels' constraint they were forced to work under.
I think it easily has the potential to be better than any of the classic games, even with the old levels.
>>
File: milk.jpg (247KB, 1556x1930px) Image search: [Google]
milk.jpg
247KB, 1556x1930px
>Green Hill Zone
>Again
>Chemical Plant Zone
>Again
>>
>>380217787
>that many people are now turning against
Besides screeching autists on /v/, who exactly?
>>
File: 800px-SSS_SONIC54.png (609KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
800px-SSS_SONIC54.png
609KB, 800x600px
Daily reminder Sonic Team and SEGA forced the Mania team to include old stages and the Mania team originally pitched it as an entirely new game.
>>
Rehashed stages all look fairly different from their original incarnations so I'm not too bothered by it.
>>
>rehashes upon glib facsimiles
>Original the Character canonized
>the friends still won't stop fucking talking
You had one job Sega
>>
>>380219167
>>380219498
I think it's nice to see Whitehead and co's take on some classic levels before presumably moving on to bigger and better things.
>>
>>380217787
/v/ has turned against these games, but the diehard fans and even casuals who don't pay attention, can't wait for them. Mania and Forces are pretty much guaranteed success.

>>380219167
I'm hoping that after Mania does well enough they'll let Headcannon make an all new game.
>>
>>380217308
>and coming to the conclusion that it was because of the old stages and the inclusion of classic Sonic,
Hopefully they fix the fucking physics during the 2D sidescrolling sections this time because classic Sonic in Generations played like absolute dogshit. Seriously what's up with Sega not being able to implement the same physics they got perfect 25 years ago?
>>
The Pre-Pre Show footage for Mania wasn't really new. We've seen all those stages before in other places.
Looks like an older build from the newest one with Flying Battery and Chemical Plant in it.
>>
Did anyone notice Eggman said Classic is from another Dimension now?

Gotta love those retcons.
>>
>>380219762
Indeed. I was also referring to Forces turn GHZ into a desert refinery. I'm still iffy on that game but I appreciated that twist.
>>
>>380220127
Time and resources, also the idea that no one cares if it's close. But seriously, it's not like they can just copy the code over, it's easier to make something new. Whether or not it's dogshit is up for debate.
>>
>>380220720
Maybe something happened. Like why are
Modern Eggman and Tails even in classic Green Hill. Who knows if that's even Classic Sonic's time period. Why am I trying to make sense of a damn Sonic game?
>>
>>380212092

Geoff likes to be a journalist sometimes. When he does, he's really our guy. Refuses to accept these Jews dodging his questions.
>>
>>380212092
I hope geoff never gets corrupted. I guess there's no shadow in this game yet. Especially since it's releasing this year
>>
File: MEGA MAN! MEGA MAN!.png (189KB, 578x182px) Image search: [Google]
MEGA MAN! MEGA MAN!.png
189KB, 578x182px
>>
>>380212092
Geoff with those hard-hitting questions, truly /ourguy/
>>
>modern Sonic is entirely boost hallways and bad 2D sections
th-thanks

>>380212092
>>380221384
But the characters are talking about Shadow both before and after he asks about him.
Shadow is obviously in the game.
>>
>>380212092
>On screen: "Sonic! Shadow's been spotted flying above the city at high speeds!"
Prior to this at this at the start
>"Sounds good! I'll go find Shadow!"

Is this guy retarded? Shadow's fighting Eggman's forces like everyone else, Also, it sounds like Modern Tails is the one with Classic Sonic in that boss fight.
>>380220720
You're not wrong, Inzuka pretty much bombed the entire franchise's canon in a statement saying every game is it's own dimension and everything is canon, he pulled a Nasu on us
>>
File: 1428324683242.jpg (42KB, 658x540px) Image search: [Google]
1428324683242.jpg
42KB, 658x540px
>>380211545
>that's Mr. Robotnik, right?
Why do these people who do gaming coverage always seem to barely know anything about video games?
>>
>>380217984
>>380218538
He's talking in the Modern Sonic gameplay video
>>
>>380221583
Clearly he wasn't paying attention to the game, but to the guy he was interviewing.
>>
File: 1466622908946.jpg (23KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
1466622908946.jpg
23KB, 500x381px
>>380221031
>they don't have the resources to do 1991 Genesis-tier physics on modern systems with modern development tools
>>
>>380221971
I'm informing the people who sound like they want Shadow to be in the game but don't know whether he will be or not, not dumping on Geoff.
>>
>>380222025
I was saying they weren't going to go out of their way and make him play the exact same way.
>>
>>380218538
Yes, Sonic's leaving Chemical Plant to him, the real question is where are Blaze,Cream,Rogue and Omega?
>>
>>380222206
They don't have to make him play the exact same, but they could at least include physics.
>>
File: robotnik grin.gif (474KB, 450x343px) Image search: [Google]
robotnik grin.gif
474KB, 450x343px
>>380221910
Robotnik is just so ingrained into people's minds at this point, it's impossible for them to see him as Eggman.

Though I'll still always see AoStH's villain as "Robotnik".
>>
>>380211545
Remember when we thought Geoff was the worst of Journalism? He seems so tame now.
>>
>>380218550

This. Mania looks like a must buy for me.

Are the first acts really complete rehashed though? I'm not against old level themes so long as its sufficiently different enough.
>>
>>380214846
Like Generations, Mania is only made because it's the 25th anniversary game. That was clear from the first trailer. It's in the name and everything "Sonic Mania" is a reference to the popularity of Sonic at its height, so it's showcasing what Sonic was at its height. The island on the title screen is even in the shape of Sonic's head.
For forces, I don't know. I guess because it's a direct sequel to the last anniversary game? Even though it isn't one itself? It isn't presented as one, anyway.
>>
>>380211545
>That music with the custom character
I'm fully convinced they're going with anime opening music for the OC's stages
>>
>>380222559
>Mr Robotnik
>Mr
He's a Dr.
>>
>>380222559
It's not the Robotnik part, more the "Mr."
It's like even when they're technically right, they still manage to be wrong
>>
We need to destroy the narrative that classic Sonic was ever good.

Sonic Colors proved that the boost system/2d section gameplay works tremendously well for Sonic. Although flawed it's still inarguably more enjoyable than the classic games ever were.

They should have kept in that direction. Classic Sonic shouldn't be here
>>
>>380223308
Classic Sonic fans only want to have sex with Big the Cat.
>>
>>380223308
fuck off retard
>>
>>380211545
>Yeah, we took all the fan feedback from Generations, and improved upon everything the fans liked.
>Boosting is even more linear, and looks even more exploitable.
>Wisps, those things that everyone agrees overstayed their welcome, are back for no real reason.
>2D sections are even more dumbed down
>Hey, remember how much everyone "loved" the characters commenting during the final boss fight? Let's make an entire game like that.
It looks like they looked at Generations, and completely failed to understand why people liked it, but I hope I'm wrong.
I'm sure it won't be a terrible game, at least, even if it has a new mode that nobody asked for slapped in again for no good reason.
>>
the music sounds like fucking garbage
>>
File: 1467064966819.gif (105KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
1467064966819.gif
105KB, 500x324px
>>380223308
>Classic Sonic was never good
Don't listen to those guys. There's a reason that Sonic is the only animal mascot to have ever gone toe to toe with Mario and lived to tell about it and it's not "Sonic is autistic. That's why people liked him."

So Micheal Jackson was a furry autist then? Okay.

In fact, if someone outright says, quote,
>Classic Sonic was never good.
Then that right there is all you need to call them a contrarian faggot.

It's Classic Sonic.

C
L
A
S
S
I
C

It's all in the name! If the Genesis Sonic was never good, then why does everyone call it "Classic," ya dingbat?
>>
>>380223308
>>380223909
I'm sure if they called it Sonic Generations 2 then there would be less complaint

But they kept insisting that this wasn't a sequel

I feel like this is bad marketing more than anything. We'll see tomorrow
>>
>>380223308
>Implying classic fags actually like the classic sections of Generations.
Sonic 3 and K is my favorite Sonic game, and I (along with plenty of others) felt that the classic sections of Generations were by far the weakest. Sonic Team clearly doesn't know how to replicate the physics that made old Sonic so great, and while the Boost2win system could be improved upon greatly (working in the feeling of freedom of movement that Adventure had would help) it's by far the best 3D Sonic gameplay we've ever had in an official game.
>>
wtf does Sonic Mania have an on the fly spin dash like SA1
>>
>>380224182
>So Micheal Jackson was a furry autist then?
Half right. He was an autistic manchild.
But he was pure of heart. Too good for this world.
>>
File: 1385046721886.jpg (36KB, 316x263px) Image search: [Google]
1385046721886.jpg
36KB, 316x263px
>hey everyone HATED it when the characters never stopped talking to you during the final boss of Generations
>so you know what'd be a great idea? let's have them do that FOR THE WHOLE GAME NOW
I'm slowly becoming convinced Forces is just one big troll on the Sonic community. It's not a real game. Just Sonic Team finally going fuck it and going full troll.
>>
So what happens when Sonic Mania sells a brazillion copies? What does SEGA do next?
>>
>>380219764
>>380217787
It's hilarious how much /v/ is trying to make everyone hate Mania, and for... what reason, exactly? Does the very idea of people liking something make you shit yourselves in rage that hard? All this constant whining about "rehashes" when Christian didn't have a choice in the matter and it's only five zones out of at least ten which have also been heavily redone.
>>
>>380224182
Classic Sonic had aesthetic, purpose, feel and character.

Classic Sonic had a mission to save his friends from being turned to robots and from their land being destroyed.

Classic Sonic FELT more meaningful.

But when you look at the gameplay it it's incredibly flawed and losses it's appeal fast.

Mario had a solid and very enjoyable game... But lacked the aesthetics and purpose.
>>
>>380223909
To be fair wisps never left they've been here since Colors and could be permanent in the series for all we know, the 2D sections look the same for Modern Sonic, and the characters talking isn't new they had banter about their surroundings or the situations they were in in Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, 06, and Secret Rings. But the overly linear 3D sections are concerning and the OC's levels just have mobs in a straight line which is retarded
>>
>>380224701
So it doesn't appeal to you personally, doesn't mean it's horrible.
>>
>>380224247
Calling it Generations 2 wouldn't fix any of the reasons I'm mad.
>reusing Green Hill which was already in Generations
>reusing Egg Dragoon which was already in Generations, and Unleashed before that
>classic Sonic still playing like shit
>modern Sonic still being half shitty 2D sections even though classic Sonic is in the game
>all "3D" sections shown so far being narrow hallways
>the terrible fucking wisps again
>art direction being worse than Generations
>level design looking worse than Generations
>OC bullshit
>>
>>380224648
50 thread a day of obvious viral marketing isn't helping it.
>>
>>380211545
>Where's shadow
>uuuh stay tuned
>not two seconds later amy says "listen up! Shadow has been sighted!"
>>
File: 1451413450948.png (120KB, 297x251px) Image search: [Google]
1451413450948.png
120KB, 297x251px
>>380224701

Oh, I get it. Sonic Mania likely being successful has actually revived the console wars, and we got a Nintendo kid in here badmouthing Sonic because he likes Mario.
>>
I'm digging the look of the 3D stages in forces.
>>
>>380224982
Don't forget the OC's levels are 80% 2D too.
>>
>>380224982
Like I said, they learned nothing from Generations, which is a huge shame.
>>
>>380224701
>But when you look at the gameplay it it's incredibly flawed and losses it's appeal fast.
How so?
>>
>>380224990
>STOP TALKING ABOUT UPCOMING GAMES YOU FAGGOTS SHILLS VIRAL MARKETERS NOBODY CARES ABOUT UPCOMING GAMES BUT THE PEOPLE SELLING THEM JEWS WANT OUR MONEY TO RULE THE WORLD BRAINWASHING US ONLINE TO BUY THEIR SHIT FIGHT BACK TAKE THE RED PILL GO AWAY!!!

Or do you only act like this when people talk about games you don't care about or hate?
>>
The two Sonic games are the perfect evidence of how much /v/ will go to perpetuate the "We hate video games" meme.
>>
>>380224990
>People are excited about a new classic Sonic, something that people have been wanting for decades.
>WOW VIRAL MARKETING
You're the reason /v/ doesn't talk about video games.
>>
>>380225248
Nah, the vast majority of people are excited for Mania.
Just ignore the "Sonic was never good" memers.
>>
File: Sonic_Angry.jpg (89KB, 500x584px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Angry.jpg
89KB, 500x584px
>>380224557
Ideally, hire Taxman to make a new Mania and make him creative consultant for the next 3D title. Have him be the ambassador for the fandom, showing the rest of Sonic Team games like Sonic Utopia, Green Hill Paradise, Sonic World and, hell! Even Sanicball is a more true 3D Sonic experience than Colors is! Show them that as well.

Then maybe we'll get a 3D Sonic game that actually has Sonic doing what made him famous in the first damn place: Rolling down hills in order to go fast.

What is actually GOING to happen is that Izuka will go into a jealous childish fit that the mean old fanbase made a better Sonic game than him and make Shadow the Hedgehog 2: Boost Pad edition and then wonder why nobody likes it.

Screencap this.
>>
>>380224978
Never said it was horrible. It is flawed though. The gameplay was heavily focused on level memorization, with not many levels. The traps presented were not "difficult but fair" they were annoying and could have been done better. Tails SHOULD be more relevant. The game needed more meat in general.
>>
>>380225206
>>380224978

Don't reply to it
>>
What's wrong with having more than Sonic playable in a modern Sonic game? I think having a character like Knuckles or Silver would change things up a lot.
>>
File: 1493605550749.png (332KB, 600x530px) Image search: [Google]
1493605550749.png
332KB, 600x530px
>>380211545
>second video around 8:30
>"you're a huge fan, like you've been playing Sonic games for a long time, right? Your first thing that blew up on reddit was a Sonic thing, right?"
>"It was on 4chan actually."

Based. It's finally hitting me that at least some of the people in the industry are actually just regular anons like us.
>>
>>380225081
I grew up as a Sonic fanboy but after playing Mario games I can say that they're objectively better.

But they're better because they didn't take risks that Sonic did.

Sonic was an experiment. And it turned out decent. But it could be Great if we just abandon old ideas.
>>
>>380225491
>The gameplay was heavily focused on level memorization
Stopped reading here.
Did you expect to just hold right and blast through at Sonic speed or something?
Surprise, motherfucker. The old games are just 2D platformers with good physics, a rolling mechanic, and the occasional speed section which is basically always devoid of obstacles.
>>
>>380224701
What the fuck are you sperging about?
Classic Sonic had about as much story as Mario did, which is to say barely any. OK, that's not completely true, there was technically an overarching story with the Death Egg from 2 to Knuckles, but that's still hardly a deep narrative.
You strike me as someone who's trying to make his distaste for Sonic sound deep, but you just kind of come across as a pretentious idiot.
And it's silly to compare Classic Sonic to Classic Mario anyway. One is a physics based platformer with a huge emphasis on exploration and branching level design, while the other is a more traditional linear platformer that trades quality for quantity in regard to levels (not a bad thing, mind you, as it results in a much meatier game).
>>
>>380217787
We've known from the start that they were doing remade levels. People only started to get uppity about it when chemical plant was revealed. Fuck off nigger.
>>
>>380225796
Absolutely nothing. The problem stems from the fact that these new characters tend to bring gimmicky and unfun game modes with them. Knuckles being a fantastic example of that, unfortunately. Treasure hunting was poorly implemented, tedious, boring, and completely went against the formula that makes Sonic fun in the first place.
It's fine to add characters, but add characters that play like Sonic damn it. There's a reason Knuckles is far more fun in classic games than in Adventure games.
>>
>>380225883
>>380225935
Again I don't have a distaste for classic Sonic games, just saying that the concept could have been better.

Making a downslope that insinuates speed only to land into spikes is frustrating, especially with the delays and screen size. Difficulty should be present obviously
>>
File: 1467931230134.png (306KB, 534x540px) Image search: [Google]
1467931230134.png
306KB, 534x540px
>>380211545
>Knuckles using words like "Diversionary tactics."
This is actually a big bonus for me. He's not a dumbass here. They didn't take the easy route and just make him Boom Knuckles. Thank Christ.
>>
>>380226273
What would have been so hard about making Tails play mostly like Sonic, except with more vertically oriented and more exploration-focused levels that take advantage of his flying, and making Knuckles play mostly like Sonic, except with levels that emphasize the gliding and climbing and all that?
How have they struggled so much with this shit? This isn't hard.
>>
>>380226682
Because making new mechanics is haaaaaaard ~Izuka
>>
>>380226512
There are no good Sonic games that are designed like that. It's very rare for ramp to lead into a section with spikes or pits, and usually long speed sections end in a ramp that sends you upward, killing your momentum, or into a wall. The only zone I can think of that really breaks that rule is Spring Yard, which to be fair was kind of a shitty Zone.
>>
The reason for remade levels is obvious, they want to cash in on the 90s kids Nostalgia, and maybe want to emphasize this games connections to the classics without calling it 'Sonic 5' in-case this experiment doesn't work out. If it fails they can just say 'it was just a side project and no big deal'.

They maybe also want kids to play this game and use classic levels that were successful in the past, because maybe kids today don't want to play the levels in oldie games first. So this sounds like a safe move, the 2nds acts and fully original levels provide new content, and the familiar 1st acts of redone classic acts are for Nostalgia purposes of 90s kids, and have a bunch of tried and true level designs to market this game to new players trying classic sonic style for the first time.

I would imagine a 'Sonic 5' or 'Sonic Mania 2' that may or may not come next will be all original levels, or at least I hope so.
>>
>>380226512
>Making a downslope that insinuates speed only to land into spikes is frustrating
Except that sort of thing basically never happens, you retard. I can only think of a tiny handful of select moments, and only in Sonic 2, where anything like that occurs.
>>
>>380226682
Because they didn't struggle. They just didn't try at all.

Ever since bringing Sonic into 3D with Adventure the focus was on "how do we make Sonic look cool?" rather than bringing the Classic physics formula and character gameplay traits properly into the third dimension.

Notice how full of cinematic setpieces the 3D games are, even right from the first game like the whale chase in Emerald Coast or running down the building in Speed Highway. All the result of making Sonic look cool rather than building physics based levels.
>>
>>380226682
Let's be real, anon, it's padding.
It takes a long time to make a Sonic style stage, thanks to the length involved in making it, but it only takes a few minutes to clear it.
Knuckles style stages are just big playgrounds, which don't require as ground, and they can take half an hour at times.
>>
>>380226787
Solid argument for not implementing mech shooting or treasure hunting mechanics.
>>
File: 20332932832.png (159KB, 365x373px) Image search: [Google]
20332932832.png
159KB, 365x373px
Guys, be honest with me. It doesn't matter whether you like/dislike Mania or Forces, which game do you think will succeed more?
>>
>Look at all those Death Egg Robots
>Man these Death Egg Robots are huge
>Look Sonic Death Egg Robots

They don't seem to understand why people like Sonic 2. Protip; It wasn't the fucking robot.
>>
>>380226273
Some games like Risk of Rain make the game feel more depth by adding a bunch of unique characters with different styles and personalities, that all have their own quirks and play differently.
Sonic is not one of those games. Sonic games add depth by adding a bunch unique LOCATIONS with different styles and personalities, that all have their own quirks and play differently. This includes their own enemies, their own bosses, and their own different ways to test Sonic's abilities. You only really need Sonic and a bunch of new places to take him. Tails is a nice player 2 and Knuckles is a sweet bonus, but anything else is either too samey to justify being playable or too contrived and different to be actually fun to play as.
>>
File: laughing_girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>sonic forces
>>
>>380226681

But Boom Knux is great. He's essentially echidna Woolie.
>>
>>380227267
Forces because you can make OCs.
>>
>>380226512
Did you download a troll hack rom? Or you must be thinking of another game. The games gives you a shield between each section anyway, which is a complete get-out-jail-card no consequence if you mess up deal anyway.
>>
>>380227281
They use the Death Egg Robot so much because it was the most memorable of Eggman's robots in the Classic games aside from the ball and chain, which they bring back a lot too anyway.
>>
>>380227267
Mania. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, especially when it's done THIS faithfully.
>>
>>380227404
He's great in the same way that Anime Dedede is great. It's not a good incarnation of the character, but it's funny enough on its own to justify its existence.
>>
>>380227281
They don't understand why people like Sonic period. That's why the fans are making better shit in their mothers' cupboards than a funded team of "professionals."
>>
>>380227529
I'm pretty sure they've reused Ball and Chain more than they have Death Egg Robot.
>>
>>380227267

I don't know about you, but I went from Genesis to N64, so I never once played a 3D Sonic. I imagine a lot of the classic gamers may have never made the jump to 3D, or were scarred off by tales of horrid Sonic 3D games, like Sonic 06.

So Mania will likely far outsell when people hear that 'sonic is back', unless the DeviantART sonic fans really are that numerous.
>>
The new Sonic Mania invincibility theme is the best of all of them. I wonder if the new invincibility theme was made first and then remixed into the main theme or if it was vice versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNlr4kA4DXA
>>
>>380219764
/v/ fucking turns on everything.
>>
>>380227149
>>380226894
It should mix speed and platforming in an intelligent and fun way.

Let's take modern gameplay. Traps may be present but they are avoidable by dashing, breaking, etc. It makes it fun. None of these movesets were available in classic games. Breaking, yes, but again flawed

I just feel like a bigger moveset mixed with more varied ways of gameplay COULD have been possible with the older games but weren't.
>>
Es ch13 hours ago
man, I really care more about the gameplay than the stupid things they do to "make laugh"

Imagine having ADHD and not being able to focus on the shit covering most of the screen
>>
>>380227267
What /v/ fails to realize is that kids still really like Sonic, and kids also really like OCs.
But you know what kids don't like? Throwback retro styled platformers designed to appeal to the nostalgia crowd.
Also, physical releases help sales a ton.
Forces will make more, though Mania might make more back depending on the budgets of the two games.
>>
>>380227281
You've seen literally the first level
>>
>>380227869
The invincibility is nice and all but I fucking love the mini-boss music in the game way more, I really need a clean rip of it, it's bothering me greatly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u37jvd3bP-k
>>
File: Here_the_pain_begins.png (11KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Here_the_pain_begins.png
11KB, 320x224px
>>380227756
If they're going to rehash memorable bosses from the classic games they need to bring back Big Arm more often.
>>
File: Woolie.png (258KB, 500x304px) Image search: [Google]
Woolie.png
258KB, 500x304px
>>380227404
>He's essentially echidna Woolie.
It's because he turned down sex with two hot, horny chicks for Marvel, isn't it?
>>
>>380228241
Oh fuck that part always gives me chills

S3&K was a masterpiece
>>
>>380227869
K > 1 = 2 > CD JP > M > CD US > 3
>>
>>380228230

Well the invuln theme is just an invuln theme, but yeah the whole soundtrack is great.
>>
>>380228002
Are you rusing me? The more modern games actually do suffer from the problem you describe where speed sections have bullshit traps in them sometimes.
Classic Sonic generally doesn't. At all.
>>
>>380228241
They will.
>>
>>380228345

That and because neither innately knows right from left.
>>
>>380228241
Wasn't this in Generations 3DS?
>>
>>380228539
Sounds like you're jaded and need to crack open older games then
>>
>>380228408
Mania isn't out yet, unless M means something else, but I'd say Knuckles is the blurst, but Mania could top it if it has a few more original levels with their own themes.
>>
>>380228725
>the old games have cheap bullshit in them
>no, but the newer games sometimes do
>you're just jaded
I don't understand this exchange. How are you not just jaded about classic Sonic games?
>>
>>380225812
Who was that guy?
>>
>>380228715
With an incredible three-minute-long remix of its theme that you'll never hear in-game because the fight itself takes 30 seconds.
>>
>>380229009

That's a ranking for Invincibility themes.

>>380228539

>Forgetting the FUCK YOU pit in Mystic Cave
>>
>"how can they fuck of Sonic Mania?"
>rereleases every stage from previous games
>"oh..."
>>
>>380229153
In that case it's wrong, Mania's theme is the best.
>>
>>380217308
I noticed that he actually uses the double jump from Colors, which is probably helpful since modern Sonic in 2D is usually kind of off.
>>
forces looks kinda shitty
>>
>>380229218
>a whole five zones and heavily revamped
>Studiopolis
>Mirage Saloon
>Cathedral
>thinking that's it

Your pasta is stale.
>>
Forces looks like trash but Mania is looking fantastic.
>>
File: Screenshot13872.jpg (960KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot13872.jpg
960KB, 1920x1080px
>>380223308
>Although flawed it's still inarguably more enjoyable than the classic games ever were
Easy there, fag. I think Colors is probably the most well-rounded/least-bullshit modern Sonic game and probably my favorite modern Sonic game, but 1-3&K are still miles fucking better than it.
>>
>>380229153
>Classic Sonic generally doesn't.
>generally
I already said in an earlier post that Sonic 2 has the odd bullshit moment in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JKHA75Kh6o

GENERALLY though, the classic games are extremely fair, and far more so than the series as a whole.
>>
>>380211545
That Mania Footage.
>Shit we've seen.
>Not talking about the game.
>Loud and annoying.
>And this is what we get for E3.
Wow. Happy E3 faggots!
>>
>>380229587
Sonic 2 has a lot of bullshit like that. Thankfully they toned it down in 3K aside from some hazards in Marble Garden.
>>
>>380211545
>half of the screen isn't a blurry mess when you boost
Fucking finally
>>
File: mayor knuckles.gif (854KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
mayor knuckles.gif
854KB, 500x281px
>>380228560
You're right. They're also both deceptively cunning and dangerous when it comes to running things behind a desk
>>
>>380221384
>>380221583
I mean Shadow is "in" as a cutscene/story character but he's obviously not playable. Noone is besides 2 Sonics and an OC. I think Sega said they will have other characters playable in extra levels, but I think by this they meant theyre doing the same shit they did in Generations where in some missions you control other characters like the tails/rouge/amy ones
>>
>>380229820
Marble Garden is all about traps and ridiculously steep slopes. Those are basically the themes of the level.
You're not encouraged to go fast in the trap heavy areas, but those swinging spike ball things can be a bit cheap I suppose.
>>
>>380229218
They even said they're mainly just going to be revealing the classic zones you retard. Its a good way to build up hype without spoiling the new parts.
>>
>>380223308
>We need to destroy the narrative that classic Sonic was ever good.

sonic CD would like a few words with you
>>
>>380211545

The avatar gameplay looks terrible, what the fuck is up to with that flamethrower shit? Seems like they sacrificed quality for customization shit only OC autists would want.
Everything else looks like 7/10.
I don't like boost shit and never will but it looks alright.
>>
File: gottagofaster.gif (121KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
gottagofaster.gif
121KB, 400x300px
>>380211545
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac_WyGhg_C8
>8:40
>>
>>380229582
>>380231005
I'm done with this argument at this point. My conclusion comes from playing the games back to back.

Go back and play the classic games.
Then play Yoshis Island
Then play Shovel Knight
Then play modern Sonic
You'll see that I'm incredibly right with this
>>
>>380211545
It's always promises well when the dev himself says a certain weapon is broken in-game.
>>
>>380231335
>Then play modern Sonic
You mean the games that ranged from mediocre to fucking trash from like 1998 to 2010? Why would I compare those to Yoshi's Island, one of the best fucking 2D platformers ever made?
>>
I did a marathon of all the sonic games and mario games a month ago and sonic is just as enjoyable now as it was when i first played it as a kid

Unless you're some jaded autist adventurefag i honestly don't understand the underlying problem you have with sonic. The physics work well and the game is responsive, the obnoxious death traps you can't avoid aren't nearly as prevalent as you say they are and it's just plain fun
>>
File: 1478897983612.png (72KB, 366x263px) Image search: [Google]
1478897983612.png
72KB, 366x263px
>Friend dialogue mentions going to Chemical Plant
Oh good, so it's going to be in Forces too.
>>
>>380231514
>being a smartass
>alternatively: being dumb and missing the context
*then play COLORS
>>
>>380211545
>creating your own OC in an official Sonic game
I want to leave the internet timeline
>>
>>380231335
I replay the classic Sonic games semi-regularly, and they hold up very well every time.
On the other hand, most of the modern Sonic games get worse and worse every time I replay them.
>>
File: 95c.gif (384KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
95c.gif
384KB, 320x180px
>>380231335
>yoshi's island
>better than sonic CD
>>
>>380232160
>thinking Sonic CD is better than Yoshis Island
I'm leaving
>>
File: Screenshot24602.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot24602.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>380231821
I have played Colors given I posted a screenshot I took of the fucking ending.

Colors definitely does a lot of shit right, especially by modern Sonic standards. No alternate play-styles. No filler. No drawn-out story or stupid Final Fantasy-tier final bosses. It's lighthearted, short, and sweet. And of course the world themes and music are fucking amazing.

Where it was lacking is in the gameplay department. It's stiff, there's a lot of gimmicky or blocky level design, and in many ways shit was actually dumbed down from Unleashed. Classic Sonic is fluid, controls well, and is complemented by the level design.
>>
>>380231810
No, he's deliberately rubbing it into your face that YOU'RE not going there.
>>
>>380232475
Until the Silver story DLC comes out
>>
>>380227267
Forces will. Doesn't matter how it's received in comparison to Mania. Outside of an unlikely case that it is 06-tier broken, it will sell more than Mania.
>>
>>380229717
I don't think they want to reveal much now. I think the game being delayed fucked up the marketing plans.
>>
>>380223308
colors was way more flawed than you remember
>several color powers only serve to bog down the pace (rocket, cube, hover all come to mind) and others feel very clunky in use (spike in particular)
>has several levels that are almost no substance and can be completed in like 20 seconds, prime example is the one in the meteor world that is all sidestepping with literally zero platforming
>level design as a whole felt like it was less about giving the players the ability to speed through and instead about an odd mix of exploration using wisp shortcuts, which as said earlier feel like pace killers
>3d sections are awful and tend to offer no challenge or anything of interest at all
I love colors but it doesn't stack up to the classic games, at least 2/3&k
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac_WyGhg_C8&t=8m50s

What the fuck does he say here? After he says it Aaron says "That was you?"
>>
>>380211545
sonic forces actually looks really good.
>>
Forces looks like shit.
>>
the "hedgehog engine 2" makes Sonic's movement look off to me
>>
>>380211545
Didn't watch the Forces one because lol who cares?
But fuck that Mania video was painful to watch. I just wanted to see new footage, not hear a bunch of retards who clearly don't know shit about vidya babble on noisily about stupid shit. Who were those jokers?

When I could tear my eyes away from their obnoxious stupid window and focus on the actual gameplay it did look really good though. Watching Americans be American can't spoil the game for me.
>>
>>380232650
I'm still amazed Sonic never had any sort of cash grab story related DLC. Hell there weren't even any stage DLCs for Generations (not counting that pinball mini game).
>>
File: roboscreenshot.png (475KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
roboscreenshot.png
475KB, 1280x720px
[comment about classic sonic never being good, adventure was better and x was a great show]
>>
>>380236234
X was a great show.
>>
File: [Autistic Screeching].jpg (84KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
[Autistic Screeching].jpg
84KB, 500x374px
>>380236396
Chris sucked and dragged the whole show down with him.
>>
>>380236396
Go to bed chris, nobody liked you
>>
>>380211545
Well at least I like the banter on the side. I really like that now. Well as long as the voice acting doesn't suck.
>>
>>380236396
>>380236796

Sonic X would be about as enjoyable as watching grass grow, even if it didn't have the generic animu child.
>>
File: 1480115342574.png (245KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1480115342574.png
245KB, 3000x3000px
I'm gonna do it. Gonna buy Mania at launch. First time I've done this since Rocksmith in 2014. Do not remember the last time before that but it was a long long time ago.
>>
File: sonic enjoys himself.png (300KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
sonic enjoys himself.png
300KB, 500x375px
>>380239404
More than any other game I can think of, it's EXACTLY what it looks like. If you're down for that, there's no reason to not enjoy it with everyone else day 1.
>>
It feels weird seeing something Sonic-related be actually good.

It was heartening to hear that Sonic Team has absolutely nothing to do with Sonic Mania. You just know Iizuka and his shitty friends would have fucked it up somehow. Now I have complete faith in it.
>>
>>380240197

IIzuka needs to be sent to the glue factory already.
>>
>>380225812
>/ourguys/ in the industry need to use reddit as scapegoat to keep their powerlevels hidden
>This guy outright says 4chan and everybody laughs in complicity

Pretty funny if true
>>
>>380240197
Zuka is involved. He's the one who told them to put in all the old stages.

>>380241178
It's always been known that a lot of industry people lurk, and even post here. It's just really rare when someone has the balls to admit it.
>>
>>380241178

I wonder what it is about 4chan that attracts Sonic fans in particular.
>>
>>380241696
Taxman said a part of the old zones is to lighten the workload a bit so they can make a longer game. This is their first non-port Sonic game after all and even professionals somehow fucked up Sonic 4 and only gave it like 4 zones.
>>
File: 1496621144739.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1496621144739.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>380240197
>>380240659
>>380241696
I say this as someone who is excited very much for both games, but I think we all know that Mania is going to be the objectively better experience.

With that in mind, how do you think Iizuka is going to feel when he sees a bunch of American fans make an official SEGA-branded Sonic game that's miles better and more well-received than what his team can put out?

>>380242201
The Yotsuba B color scheme.
>>
>>380242312
>how do you think Iizuka is going to feel when he sees a bunch of American fans make an official SEGA-branded Sonic game that's miles better and more well-received than what his team can put out?

The same thing that always happens when Americans take Sonic Team's precious baby and improve on it. He'll be angry and jealous and make sure it doesn't happen again.
>>
File: 1492437166120.jpg (387KB, 706x800px) Image search: [Google]
1492437166120.jpg
387KB, 706x800px
>>380242312
I honestly think Sonic Team stopped caring about what they put out a long time ago. Long as it makes money, that's all that matters to them.
>>
>>380242201
Anonymity, so regular dudes who just like the games, and furry autists can all come together to talk about Sonic together pretending like we're all "normal"
>>
>>380242312
>With that in mind, how do you think Iizuka is going to feel when he sees a bunch of American fans make an official SEGA-branded Sonic game that's miles better and more well-received than what his team can put out?

I think you're underselling Forces a bit. Autistic shits like me will love the main cast back together and interacting again like they have been in the new footage.
>>
>>380243718
While that is true, the amount of normal people excited for Sonic Mania far outnumber the number of 'autistic shits' out there.
>>
>>380235541
Hedgheog Engine is just a (horribly inefficient) lighting/graphics engine. Always has been. The actual game is usually built on a much more standard engine.
>>
>>380243848
I'm actually not convinced by that.

I actually think Forces is generating a lot more buzz, especially in the core community who are hoping to see something new, as well as enjoying the game with the full cast of characters + OC creator.

Ironically though, I think people are going to buy Mania and get burned out, and skip on Forces for other games releasing this fall.
>>
Why can't they just make Sonic Unleashed: Day time only edition? Why the fuck are they forcing classic sonic on a 3d sonic when there's already a classic sanic game to be released?
Thread posts: 194
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.