[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have an actual discussion about this? I don't really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

Can we have an actual discussion about this?

I don't really think it's such a bad idea personally. The way it says the system is going to work is that you must go through an apporval process in order to submit mods through the system. When you also consider that no old mods can be submited nd that they will be mixed in with content made by bethesda themselves as well as 3rd party devs it seems like the whole downside or thievery/shit quality mods is either minimal or non-existant.

The only possible downside I could see is if the profit percentages were not high enough for the mod creators, otherwise it seems fine. Free mods will still exist which is a good thing, but for those who love to make mods and wouldn't be opposed to making money off of it the option is there now. And really I don't see how someone making money off of doing what they love is a bad thing.

Only those who would change at all because they now have the potential to make money off of it are those who never truely cared about modding in the first place. Otherwise it doesn't matter if they are making money or not, they will still be passionate and care about making good mods.

Charging for a mod doesn't inherently make you a scumbag, and releasing your mod for free doen't make you a saint. At the end of the day it's the mod uthor's discression, and the only people who would make a system like this entirely bad in the long run would be mod authors who just so happen to be greedy themselves and wouldn't possess a love for modding. Hopefully that won't happen however; most mod authors seem like good people that care about modding anyway.
>>
File: 1478283898307.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1478283898307.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
>>380010943
large mods are dead
no point in making a large mod for years for free when you can just make small ones in months for money
Money will change the entire way mods are seen it will no longer be a fun community topic and gathering but soon enough into a cut throat scum market
>>
>>380011189
But what about those that simply enjoy modding? For them the money wouldn't be - or atleast wouldn't be a primary factor.
>>
>>380010943
The press release surrounding it is so confusing I can't make heads or tails of it. They're paid mods, for sure, but they're mostly developed in-house or something? I don't really understand it, but I think it's safe to say that the "creationclub" won't be the place to get stuff like texture mods, ENBs, or overhaul mods. Seems more like it'll be things like new items and quests. Having said that, I still don't like the idea.
>>
>>380010943
you cant submit mods, they are made internally
it's just paid dlc
enjoy your horse armor
>>
My main complaint is that they claim it's not Paid Mods 2.0 when you have to pay for the credits to use them. The incredibly small scale and haphazard creation of these mods also doesn't enforce any confidence, since there will always be one little conflicting bit with them or a way that it will bloat your save file, and the mod maker(s) will not be held accountable.

>>380011189
This.
People were already stealing content for paid workshop mods - when money is involved with a hobby it goes to shit.

>>380011525
>they're mostly developed in-house or something?
It's a combination of in-house and popular modders that are throwing their credibility in the trash for pocket change a la paid mods in the workshop.
>>
>>380011730
https://creationclub.bethesda.net/apply

But there's an application tho
>>
>>380010943
As long as you can still make and use mods (I mean, actual mods) then this shouldn't change much of anything. This is basically microtransaction DLC under a different name - officially produced, paid with money, officially check to make sure it works properly.
>>
>>380012574
>officially check to make sure it works properly
By the same company who released Fallout 4.
>>
>>380010943
Have they said what percentage even goes to creators? Last time the number was 30 percent right?
>>
>>380013312
It's likely based around how many Credits™ it's worth and how many Credits™ it hauls in.
>>
>>380013312
Was 25 before I think, I really don't know t b h ao don't quote me. They haven't said what it will be now, probably gonna be revealed closer to the program's release.
>>
SKSE team should drop the development of SKSE64 and F4SE because those games don't seem to need it. Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 will get "official high quality" through the creation club now. No need for script extender mods as they aren't of the highest quality and blessed by the quality control of Bethesda.
>>
>>380011525
The way i understand it it's somewhat like Warframes process on Steam.
Modauthors can submit their mod to the Dev who then check for bugs/polish/check for artistic and lore integrity and then eventually release it as a paid addon.
>>
File: 1489726950577.jpg (296KB, 860x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1489726950577.jpg
296KB, 860x1152px
>actual disscusion
>/v/

good luck

Anyways, it's certainly not as intrinsically awful as people meme it to be but it's still possible for them to drop the ball and fuck everything up
>>
>>380010943
Now they can slice their dlc even thinner. Thanks Todd.
>>
>>380011441
Most large mods are as much a collaborative work as a game itself. Now you have people trying to determine what their share of the profits should be. Now you have people hoarding their custom assets so all the cash those assets generate will go to them. Now you have people completely disincentivized from cooperating with each other for fear that their creations get stolen and profiteered off of. You'll never see things like Immersive Armors, Frostbite, etc again.
>>
>>380016210
I'm optimistic that those that truely enjoy what they do won't change just becasue money is involved. After all, it's their choice to change or not, right?
>>
>>380016210
I'd like to remind you that Day-Z released in 2013, somehow large collab mods are still a thing that gets worked on.
Amazingly enough the potential for money hasn't torn literally everything apart because not everyone is in it for the dosh.

If we want to go even further back then CS released over a decade ago. Money can fuck things up sure, but don't make a mountain out of a molehill and go
>WELL NOW ITS ALL RUINED BECAUSE MONEY
When money has been in the niche for ages now
>>
File: 1468476305916.png (6KB, 356x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468476305916.png
6KB, 356x480px
>>380010943
>>
>>380016889
The issue isn't necessarily the money, it's where the money comes from. I do not trust Bethesda to give the community any room to thrive. There's been money in the Elder Scrolls/Fallout mod communities for years, too, in the form of donations. Yet look what happened the first time they tried to make money the official mandate? Shit fell apart. Making this stuff is a labor of love, not a job. This is not a streamlined way to monetize the passtime of programmers; this is a scheme to outsource and cheapen DLC production.
>>
>>380016754
And I'm pragmatic enough to believe even if major modders don't buy into this, this whole new layer added on to the matter will make things much more complicated for them. Easiest to propose example: now free-range modders have an entire list of commercial addons to game that they need to potentially plan compatibility for.

On a different note, it's not that far a stretch to assume that eventually down the line, access to mod tools will be tied to the Creation Club. This is a slope most slippery; we as consumers should never give the dev free reign to control and monetize something that to this date has functioned perfectly well while remaining free and out of their control.
>>
>>380018048
>Yet look what happened the first time they tried to make money the official mandate?
Fucking everything up to such a large degree that the people involved in it weren't even on the same page as to what was happening.
Goddamn Gaben was defending paid modding and staying its here to stay on the same day the service got pulled abruptly.

No, paid modding was fucked because a hell of a lot of things, by far the least of them being that modding as thing was going to somehow magically collapse.
You are still a retard making a big deal out of nothing and just assuming everything is going to go to shit instantly. Will we get mods instead of DLC, no, there is a time and place for making DLCs in the current development schedule, besides even if we do take your pants on head retarded assumptions, then how is devs being forced to work on brand new content rather than chunck sized DLC a bad thing?

Let's not forget the obvious either, the more min DLCs in the form of paid mods you get, the larger the actual DLCs have to be to stand out.

A meteor could fall on your head tomorrow, why not run out and get a 100000 dollar loan and then go shoot yourself, because clearly just because something bad could happen, it will, in the worst way possible to imagine you fucking kneejerk lemon
>>
I've modded for over a decade, and I still do to a lesser extent. UT, NWN, WC3. It's never been about money. Not even when I was a poor student; the idea of asking for money for improving on these games never even occurred to me. I just wanted to add to the games I loved and share it with other likeminded people.

What Bethesda is doing is setting a precedent, or potentially a trend, just like they did it with DLC. We laughed at how fucking stupid horse armor was back then, but look at where we are now. DLC out the ass, people being nickle and dimed every inch of the way. It's entirely plausible that modding will suffer a similar fate if we let it.

Fuck Bethesda.
>>
>>380018512
>now free-range modders have an entire list of commercial addons to game that they need to potentially plan compatibility for.
No they don't, you can just slap on a "You need XYZ/Can't have YFM" disclaimer like they already do.
People will just banket everything that's know to cause issues, again like they already do.

Betheseda doesn't give a shit if a mod for new vegas isn't compatible with Dead Money, they sure as shit won't care in the future either, just that if someone does does want to get in on the dosh action they will have to be compatible with certain things, and thats a choice for the modder to make.

Your doomsday scenarios are poorly thought out and make no sense. Why on earth, and more to the point HOW on earth would Bethesda enforce compliancy on third site modding pages to be compatible with their mods.
>>
>>380010943

Nope.

This is a cashgrab. This is what outsourcing looks like. Instead of investing their money to make DLCs for Skyrim and F4, they decided to outsource it and to make that investment paid by charging for these "mods".

Oh, and mods can break the game. Even simple ones. So there is that. Are they gonna guarantee no-issues-no-CTD-no-hassle with their mods?
>>
>>380018982
Isn't this the copypasta from the skyrim moodding thread we had years ago?
>>
File: 1466069891475.jpg (43KB, 600x524px) Image search: [Google]
1466069891475.jpg
43KB, 600x524px
>>380019276
No. But I'm flattered you think so.
>>
>>380018560
And you somehow expect this to go any better than the first attempt? If you can't see that this is clearly a platform for microtransaction DLC both locally grown and outsourced then you're crazy.

>>380019081
My "doomsday scenarios" have nothing to do with Bethesda. As you just said, the onus is on the free mod maker to make sure their mod is compatible with the paid content. That's going to get a lot harder when the paid content is stretched out to include microtransactions for glowing swords made by dozens of people who don't follow the dev studio's design conventions.
>>
>>380020635
>the onus is on the free mod maker to make sure their mod is compatible with the paid content
Again why would betheseda care if the mods are not compatible
How would they enforce it

You DO know mods are known to just say "don't install this along with X" right, you have actually modded a betheseda game before and are not just being a retard on the internet right?

Who are we kidding, we both know you only play CoD and are just jumping on a bandwagon or something, because you clearly don't know the first thing about the scene.
Oh no modders have to deal with complience issues and adding "not compatible with"
lists to their mods such a fucking new issue.
>>
>>380017019
I see it.
>>
>>380010943
They need to be approved, which means someone's going to make free third-party mods work in order to have NSFW mods.
Simple as that. It's 100% a certainty that a work around for their system will get made. Good job everyone
>>
>>380020996
You literally just quoted me saying it's the free mod makers who hammer out compatibility. I've never said that Bethesda has any part in that. Quite the opposite, their pay wall will keep paid and free mod makers from collaborating to make compatibility. This becomes an issue when you have to choose between the mod you paid for and the mod that's free to use in your game.

Regardless, you're trying really hard to ignore what I'm saying, so I'm just gonna give you your (you) and go on about my day.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.