[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>in the near future, you will not own games at all, you will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 2752407-portrait_marykish_2014.jpg (73KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
2752407-portrait_marykish_2014.jpg
73KB, 480x480px
>in the near future, you will not own games at all, you will rent them. You will simply pay $100 a month to access an entire library of games and when you stop paying, you no longer have access. No more buying games, no more having physical copies.

How realistic is this?
>>
not
>>
not at all realistic. consumers are sheep but not to this extent.
>>
>>379953101
None whatsoever.

The gaming industry is built around the initial swell of profits that comes from the initial release of a game. If everyone is paying all the time, that evens that out, flat-lining profits.
>>
>>379953101
sounds good to me. A good Netflix for games would be fantastic.
>>
>>379953101
That would call for a single company like steam to buy EVERYONE.
>>
Pretty realistic. Publishers prefer an even revenue stream to one that fluctuates.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (56KB, 964x589px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
56KB, 964x589px
>>379953101
>in the future
We already have this,
>>
>you will not own games at all

this is how it is today and how it has been for the last 30 years
read the EULA of any game ever made, you simply own a revocable license to play the game and not the game itself
>>
>>379954306
But that's not the only way to get their games. In the op scenario, literally the only way games exist is behind a paywall on a server.
>>
>>379954950
faggots scenario is retarded
>>
>>379954560
You're missing the point. I still have my game once I've paid for it.

With this model, you can't have physical copies nor can you keep them on a hard drive unless you keep paying and this would be for all games. Basically, imagine every game having an MMO pay style.
>>
>>379955135
But not out of the realm of possibility.
>>
>>379955280
what's wrong with it? you don't need to keep upgrading and buying new hard drives, it's a win win situation for everyone. don't tell me it's cause you're POOR
>>
>>379955967
So you agree with the games as a service model?
>>
>>379956145
what are we talking about
>>
>only 100$ a month
>instead of releasing games one after another charging you 100$ per game
>>
I wouldn't care. You can easily pirate any game you want, whenever you want. So I don't care if I "own" a digital product.
>>
>>379953101
Thankfully my backlog of videogames, anime, eroge, emulation etc can last probably two lifetimes.
>>
>>379956281
A subscription to even have access to games on top of your online fees Ava dlc.

In another case, imagine having to pay $50 a year to use Windows and if you stop, you can't use it anymore.

Sounds crazy? Well, MS is thinking about doing just that.

In terms of gaming, they're testing the waters right now with that new service they announced a while back where you can get access to a bunch of games for whatever it costs. Basically, PS plus, but every game. I have a feeling MS will be the one to try it.
>>
>>379953101
You never "own" a game. Not really You own a license that allows you to play said game at the behest of the company that made it.
>>
>>379953391
That's what people said about DLC ten years ago

Most normies are fucking retarded
>>
>>379957124
sounds great, a steal for $50, i'd willingly pay $1000 a year for such an honest service.
>>
>>379957195
We've established that, buddy. We all know this.

We're talking about continually having to pay to play every single game ever made from here on out. You stop paying, you don't play.

It would eliminate used games and would keep you tied to their service as long as you own that console.
>>
>>379953101
100 bucks a month is way too expensive. Especially because most of the people who even game are students/kids with no real income. Also it's pretty stupid because a lot of people only really play two or three games in a year. Heck let's also include the casuals who buy their yearly upgrade of fifa and call of duty and that's all they play until their next upgrade. It's not feasible too expensive, will put a lot of people off and cause a surge in piracy.
>>
>Not refusing to buy digital games to prevent this outcome from occurring
cuck
>>
they said paid online was crazy
they said paying for digital games was crazy
now you're saying a subscription service to even access games is crazy
fuggin kek, eventually you'll have to both buy the games AND pay a monthly rate to access them on TOP of buying additional DLC
>>
>>379957875
You are severely underestimating how stupid people are.
>>
File: 1492484633969.jpg (37KB, 256x235px) Image search: [Google]
1492484633969.jpg
37KB, 256x235px
I'd certainly pay $20 a month to have unlimited access to all games. If I could download anything I wanted from steam without having to buy it that would be incredible. It certainly beats having to fuck around pirating games to try them out. As long as the developers are sufficiently supported I'd be happy. If there was some system which gave developers a fraction of your money based on your monthly playtime that would be great.
>>
>>379958213
Now you're catching on, goy.
>>
File: 1476757725918-b.jpg (26KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1476757725918-b.jpg
26KB, 500x379px
>>379953101
Nightmarishly possible
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.