[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This game is perfect. Literally no flaws. If you haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 56

File: e.jpg (294KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
294KB, 1024x768px
This game is perfect. Literally no flaws. If you haven't played it then you shouldn't be allowed to post on here.
>>
>>379917284
The english version is mistranslated. get fucked
>>
I haven't played it
>>
This game is overrated
>>
>>379917284
What about that part where the game makes you do nothing for 5 minutes?
>>
boring battle system
shit graphics
meme story
>>
>>379917556
What's "mistranslated"? It's one of the best localizations of its time.
>>
>>379917956
all of these are wrong desu
>>
>>379918171
>localisation

So, mistranslated?
>>
xDDD so QUirky L0l
>>
>>379917284
Literally looks like they tried to copy Undertale.
>>
>>379918758
Any translation that changes anything at all is a mistranslation by your standards? Even if it's an untranslatble joke or reference?
>>
>>379917284
I've watched playthroughs and it looks boring. The story is shit too.
>>
I'm still waiting for this fan project that wants to remaster the Mother 1 so I can start the series properly.
>>
>menus and inventory management
>perfect
>>
>>379918796
Earthbound btfo damn
>>
>>379919110
Yes
>>
>>379919364
Sorry not every game gives you a mystical bag of carrying that also automatically categorizes everything you own.
>>
>>379917284
Mother 3 is better

When Paula is kidnappend halfway into the game and you go into the mall to save her the enemies inside are over levleed and can easily 1hko your entire party of ness and jeff.
>>
>>379917284
>literally just reskinned dragon quest with quirkyness
>no flaws

Why are motherfags so goddamn retarded?
>>
It didn't age well.

If you didn't get a chance to play it when it came out, it can be a tad boring to try to get into now. Especially if you've played a lot games like it.
>>
>>379919453
Then you are lost.

I've played both versions and can confirm it's quite faithful. Occasionally they censor the word death or dead or whatever, but they withheld censoring important things (end game areas for example).

In general they translated for meanign and tone more than verbatim (although they did that when possible).

For example, in earthbound photo man says "Fuzzy Pickles" whereas in the original Japanese he says "Cheese Sandwich". It was changed to "Fuzzy Pickles" to be as absurd to Americans as "Chesse Sandwich" was to the Japanese (who wouldn't typically eat such a thing, though they'd be able to picture it.)

May you find peace.
>>
>get bike
>get paula
>you can't use the bike ever again
yeah, completely flawless

also fuck being suntanned
>>
>>379920513
There are two areas of level issues.

The beginning (largely alleviated by infinite free heals. But objectively tedious as you need to level a bunch to handle the enemies easily + boss).

The mall Paula kidnapping. Dealt with by stock piling items beforehand/over-leveling. This is the biggest flaw since you gotta know you're gonna get fucked in order to do these strategies to deal with it.

Overall though you can screen-scum to make the foes disappear and just get to the boss, who is also dangerous but can be better handled since it's 1v2.
>>
>>379920513
>anything in EarthBound being over-leveled other than MAYBE Onett
>proceeds to reference Mother 3, where chapter two's Mr. Passion is incredibly difficult out of nowhere
Nah
>>
>>379921890
>Passion is incredibly difficult

L M A O
M
A
O
>>
>>379920818
They also changed it to use more colorful wording like saying someone might take a potshot at you instead of saying you're going to get shot up here.
>>
>>379917284
>First three hours of the game
>Go up this hill
>Okay now go back
>Now do it again, one hop this time
>First objective is to grind until you can beat the first boss
>Twoson basically requires you to talk to everyone if you're not following a guide, which means you'd have to retalk to everyone again because Apple Kid's triggers are retarded and unintuitive
>During this time you likely already explored the cave, which means to progress after heading back you'd need to get frustrated and rexplore the cave in the hopes you missed something.
>But this is only helpful assuming you realked to Apple Kid, because unless you know that you're literally stabbing in the dark until you finally line all the triggers correctly and you get that phone call form Apple kid

Once you reach Happy Happy Village the game gets interesting, but Earthbound is literally "Slow Burn: The Game". I will always hate Apple Kid from the bottom of my heart.
>>
>>379922303
Is he not supposed to be?
>>
>>379921748
It was supposed to be a joke.
>>
>>379917284
>play Mother 3 again

>grinding isn't as fun the second time

my only complaint. what a title
>>
>>379917284
shit sux

trash tier dragon quest clone with worse graphics and gameplay than the most recent dq game at its time of release

'murricans love it because le meme tier writing

europeans don't give af because it was never released there until 20+ years later

japan never cared ergo why it took a decade for another in the series to even be made, much much downgraded from its original n64 concept at that
>>
>>379917284
>no flaws
The whole game is a flaw.
>>
>>379917284
This game is good. You don't need to lie or bait.
>>
>>379917284
Mother 3 had a better story than Mother 2, admit it OP, I like both but Mother 3 is way better than Mother 2/Earthbound
>>
>>379917284
It has charm and that's the nicest thing I can say about it.
>>
emulated it couldnt get into it
>>
>>379917956
What does meme story mean to you exactly?
>>
Standard battle mechanics, bland character growth and skill acquisition. A middle of the road JRPG that doesn't have anything mechanically to hook a player over other JRPGs.
>>
>>379923948
It's weird. I agree that Mother 3 has a better story but I can't help but remember the moment by moment events of Mother 2 more fondly. I also cannot get into a replay of Mother 3 but I've replayed Mother 2 at least 3 times. I'm not sure what this says about the game or myself.
>>
>>379926849
It says that you are a nostalgiafag, duh.
>>
>>379917284
The start is boring as fuck.
>>
>>379927198
But I played both them at around the same time; about 4 years ago.
>>
>Literally no flaws

Adding a shit ton of grinding is not how you make a game last.
>>
File: poof.gif (795KB, 492x492px) Image search: [Google]
poof.gif
795KB, 492x492px
OP is baiting guys, don't be so stupid. It's my all time favorite game and even I'm not this much of a elitist.

If thread is still up in a few I will dump some earthbound fan art.
>>
>>379926849

Mother 3's cutscenes are much more slow and lengthy, as you often have to wait for the animations before you can advance the dialog. Earthbound keeps it simple and lets you go through the text as fast or slow as you want to, and that makes the game flow better and makes it more fun to replay.
>>
>>379927573
>The start is boring as fuck.
>>379927797
>Adding a shit ton of grinding is not how you make a game last.
These two things go together.

>party based rpg
>except you roll with a single character for a long ass time
>through one of the worst and most painful areas of the game
>finally get second member
>she dies in 1 hit to anything and is weak as fuck
>also she's level 1 to your like level 80
Fuck.
>>
>>379921748
Did you beat the game?

There's a reason the bike exists.
>>
>>379917556
Fuck off, weeaboo
>>
the pacing is weird
>>
>>379928865
I have beaten it about 3 times and I can't recall that reason.
>>
>>379929629
You can ride it around during the epilogue after you've taken Paula home.

Yay.
>>
>>379929629
>>379930163
It's so that you can more quickly revisit all the NPCs in every town after you've taken Paula home. All of them have new dialog that you can only see during the epilogue. It's a great way to end an RPG.
>>
>>379931182
>more quickly
Going in and out of the menu to use it isn't what I'd call quick.

>All of them have new dialog that you can only see during the epilogue. It's a great way to end an RPG.
Hardly unique among rpgs. And most people will never think to do this, because unlike so many other rpgs, EBs NPC dialogue rarely changes during the course of the game.
>>
Okay, back. I'll dump some EB fanart.
>>
>>379931893
>Going in and out of the menu to use it isn't what I'd call quick.
What even is your argument here? I didn't say ANYTHING about the speed of using the menu. Using the bike lets you travel through the towns much faster.

>Hardly unique among rpgs.
When did I say it was unique to Earthbound?

>And most people will never think to do this, because unlike so many other rpgs, EBs NPC dialogue rarely changes during the course of the game.
Again, what are you even arguing? Just because you didn't know what the bike is for, that means the bike is useless? Would you rather they didn't include optional post-game flavor dialog with a bike for fast travel during it?
>>
I gave up as soon as I had to go through the shopping centre in the dark.
Good game otherwise.
>>
>>
>>379932869
>Using the bike lets you travel through the towns much faster.
Except when the awkward control/speed makes it a pain to talk to NPCs who're moving around. Also that many important NPCs are indoors means you'll be getting on/off the bike rather frequently to the point where it feels faster to just walk everywhere.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>379933290

The NPCs in Earthbound don't really move around much at all, it's very easy to talk to them on the bike. Maybe you're confusing it for Pokemon or something.

Also, some of the towns are huge. Going from building to building in Fourside would definitely be faster with the bike even with having to go through the menu a lot.
>>
>>
>>379917284
>Literally no flaws.
RNG rules the first half of the game, if you get shit RNG on level ups, you WILL be forced to grind.
>>
>>
>>
Is Cognitive Dissonance any good?
>>
>>
>>379917284

undertale lite
>>
>>
>>379933979
My most recent playthrough I never once had to grind at all. Knowing how to prepare ahead of time for the Paula kidnapping part helps, but it also goes a long way if you take the time to read the descriptions of all the items and PSI powers available to you, and strategically make use of them throughout the game instead of compensating for your lack of strength by grinding.
>>
>>
>>379917284
Eh, it alright.
>>
>>
>>
>>379917284
I'm replaying it with the restoration patch (I think the patch is called MaternalBound). Still my favorite game of all time
>>
>>
>>379933770
You can't even use the bike when you have more than one party member.
>>
>>379934952
true.

Hell, for the longest time I never used PSI Flash.

and in one run I killed the nightmare on the 2nd turn because of it
>>
>>
>>379935928
Some bosses are like that. The plague rat of doom has a small chance of dying instantly from flash beta.
>>
>>379917946
Spotted the retard who was too stupid to figure that part out without using a guide.
>>
>>
I played it for like 20 minutes and thought it was garbage desu

Wild Arms is the only JRPG I actually love
>>
>>379917284
You know what, I just recently played through this for the first time. I liked it.

BUT to say something is perfect, though, would imply that it couldn't be improved when that is definitely not the case here.

The item management in the game was pants-on-head retarded. There's so many useless items and key items, and the escargo system was stupid and just a massive time waste that brought nothing to the table. There's even a whole area (monkey cave) that " " " " plays " " " on this limited item mechanic, and it's frustrating, needless, and shit.

While we're bitching about items, all of the stats in the game are straight up hidden and obtuse. If you just sit down and play the game you'll have no idea what anything does. you're only given a vague 'yeah this item is kinda better I think' from the buy menu. You can't even examine items in the store so you have to buy them first before you get to know anything about it and even then you're not told it's defense value

Everything the MC does is done better by other characters. Poo heals better, Paula kills trash and protects better, and once you discover how fucking OP jeff's bottle rockets are when you use it to get it out of your cluttered inventory it trivializes every boss in the game.

Which brings up another complaint that all of the difficulty in the game stems from the random encounters that can stunlock you to death and OHKO your characters. Which is fine, I guess, there has to be some difficulty somewhere. I just expected it to come from the bosses.

The 'rolling hp meter' that Earthbound fags love to hype up is especially underwhelming. You'll almost never get to take advantage of it until very late in the game, and even then only if you get incredibly lucky that an enemy doesn't do an AOE attack that takes minutes of text to go through while you're characters are bleeding out waiting their turn to go.

I could go on but I've run out of space.

tl;dr: I liked it, but not perfect.
>>
Status ailments are actually useful in this game.
>>
>>
>>379917284
>Literally no flaws.

Heheh, aren't you forgetting about this fuck and his infamous glitch? Then again you need some dumb luck for it to work right.
>>
>>
>>379937074
He was annoying, didn't know about the glitch though. What was it?
>>
>>379936505
>calls a jrpg garabage
>likes wild arms
Other then the western inspired setting wild arms is literally the definition of generic.
>>
>>379917284
The First Walking SImulator
>>
>>379919453
Then you have no idea how languages work. There are an unreal number of things that have no real equivalent, necessitating a localization in any but the plainest of games.
>>
>>379937297
There is a famous glitch where if both Ness or the party if you have at least two characters) and the tree die at the same time the game crashes.

Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yPVBE7BWNU
>>
>>379934952
Then you must have gotten pretty fucking lucky, as I said, RNG rules the first half, more so in the first quarter than the second, but still.
I tried to replay the game some months back and just quit on it, for one, I couldn't beat the first guardian boss until level 10 or 11 because my levels ups were mostly shit until that level, and the thing that made me quit was when I went to rescue Paula, holy fucking shit, what I experienced was one of the most disastrous battles in any RPG I've played, first off, a crow joined the battle with the two blue guys, I decided to try and take him out first because I knew I could oneshot him, but of course I missed the crow twice in a row, then used a fucking bomb on it in hopes that the bomb couldn't miss, the bomb kills it, and then after killing one blue guy, another one was called in, almost kill one of the two, well shit, now there's three in the battle, kill the one, start working on another, oh shit, here's yet another blue guy called in, and at that point I had no PP or items left to heal, so I got my ass handed to me, and decided to stop trying to replay the game because I was starting to hate it, regardless of the fact that I didn't encounter such ridiculously bad RNG in my first playthrough.
>>
Battle system is complete shit.
>>
I miss the 90s
They were a simpler time
>>
>>
>>379936318
I fucking love pictures like this. Games like Earthbound and Undertale are great because the combat makes no fucking sense realistically and it's fun to picture what they must've actually been doing during combat.
>>
>>379937663
The game is really easy though. In my like +15 playthroughs I would say only Frank will make you grind and even then maybe for like five minutes.
>>
>>379923184
buy some sprinting bombs and beat the beanling in the forest a couple of times
first two kills alone will get you to somewhere around lv20, the thing gives more xp than most bosses in the game
>>
>>379917284
I guess it's time to replay it and Mother 3, I kinda miss them.
>>
I think this is the coolest giygas art, the tears are such a great detail.

>>379938204
You mean the originals or the black beanlings? In chapter 1 it shouldn't matter much but the black beanlings give 16,080 exp, the most in the game.
>>
Anyone still reading The Chosen Four?
>>
>>379938471
They have a lot of small details you probably missed, hope you enjoy them anon.
>>
>>379936320
>Waiting in front of a waterfall for 3 minutes doing nothing is consider fun gameplay.
>>
>>379938731
It's still going? Damn, that's dedication.
>>
>>379938973
didntreadlol.jpg
>>
>>379935836
could you kindly read the rest of the fucking conversation
>>
>>379938070
Its not easy when the RNG is out to just wreck your shit as much as possible.
The game is far from flawless, not just because of the RNG playing such a significant role early on, but also because you have super limited inventory until you get Paula, and the fact that key items and equipped items take up that inventory too makes it twice as bad.
>>
File: 1489959480775.jpg (340KB, 1200x1146px) Image search: [Google]
1489959480775.jpg
340KB, 1200x1146px
>>379917284
>trying to play on emulator
>walking is painfully fucking slow
>>
>>379939116
I never read it, I thought you meant it was still being updated.
>>379939143
I'm not trying to say it is flawless, it definitely flawed. Still, I just think none of that stuff is really any of the bigger flaws.
>>
>>379936872
This is pretty much all my complaints summed up.

Add in the fact that you play through so much of the game with one character seems dumb. The dog really should've come with you through Onett at least. They really missed a good opportunity there. Even the concept art showed Nes and King out and about.

>>379938471
Is the only way to play Mother 3 via emulator with an English patch?
>>
>>
File: 52345f78g4pfwmZF.png (301KB, 600x770px) Image search: [Google]
52345f78g4pfwmZF.png
301KB, 600x770px
>>
File: 1090755_orig.jpg (254KB, 817x800px) Image search: [Google]
1090755_orig.jpg
254KB, 817x800px
>>
>>379939594
It still is. Last update was in May.
>>
File: 5925814_orig.jpg (465KB, 714x800px) Image search: [Google]
5925814_orig.jpg
465KB, 714x800px
>>
File: 46865219_p3_master1200.jpg (244KB, 480x819px) Image search: [Google]
46865219_p3_master1200.jpg
244KB, 480x819px
>>
>>379938759
Thanks I will keep that in mind
>>379939673
Well, there is some hope to get an International Release on Nintendo e-shop this year, but it's better to no have your hopes too up. The fan translation is really good anyway.
>>
File: 1420092529325.png (787KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1420092529325.png
787KB, 1366x768px
>>
>>379939594
Personally I think it is one of the bigger flaws, but whatever, I'd just like to mention another time with terrible RNG, in both playthroughs sometime whe ness got homesick, I would call his mom, and then not even 10 fucking minutes later, he'd be homesick again! Like, in my second playthrough, I walked to his house cause I was too cheap to use the payphone, and then after getting rid of his homesickness, second I entered Twoson the little shit was homesick again!
>>
Its boring and tedious. It was good for its time and has a lot of personality those aren't enough to make the game fun however
>>
File: 1420961392443.jpg (201KB, 788x611px) Image search: [Google]
1420961392443.jpg
201KB, 788x611px
>>379940739
Weird, honestly I can't say I have ever had the rng be that bullshit for me. Sorry.
>>
File: 1424989630660.gif (100KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1424989630660.gif
100KB, 600x600px
End game art.
>>
File: 1421101553864.png (2MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1421101553864.png
2MB, 1500x1500px
>>
Still has one of my all time favorite boss battle tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVcyZ_TtLhI&index=65&list=PL6akIKaXBeU1kiNSAvhv86io0N4J4AFdI

In fact the entire OST is fantastic. I never got to play many SNES games until my cousin introduced me to emulation in middle school, so I jumped at the thought of being able to play Earthbound. Glad I did too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU__bc58oXo&index=8&list=PL6akIKaXBeU1kiNSAvhv86io0N4J4AFdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=204BDmIg7B4&index=11&list=PL6akIKaXBeU1kiNSAvhv86io0N4J4AFdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23qEArWaLjs
>>
File: 1428359363066.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1428359363066.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: 1432541610963.png (2MB, 1434x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1432541610963.png
2MB, 1434x1034px
By the artist for Rhythm Heaven.
>>379941372
The soundtrack really is something. The battle music has such a weirdly silly vibe to it, it's great.
>>
>>379941372
I was JUST about to bitch about no one posting tracks. Good on you anon.

https://youtu.be/6qif0oZTxpA
>>
File: 1430716942619.png (94KB, 850x650px) Image search: [Google]
1430716942619.png
94KB, 850x650px
>>
File: 1442544575707.jpg (191KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1442544575707.jpg
191KB, 600x450px
>>
File: 1442791606200.jpg (303KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
1442791606200.jpg
303KB, 1200x600px
>>
File: 1462090720683.gif (838KB, 1200x1651px) Image search: [Google]
1462090720683.gif
838KB, 1200x1651px
>>379917284
>>
File: 1451545061091.png (158KB, 545x746px) Image search: [Google]
1451545061091.png
158KB, 545x746px
>>
>>379917284
I remember emulating it years ago but never bothered to finish it. In other words, it's not really great.
>>
>>379937782
Better than FF or pokemon
>>
File: 1451549619936.jpg (93KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
1451549619936.jpg
93KB, 500x354px
>>
File: 1451590685144.jpg (3MB, 1866x1178px) Image search: [Google]
1451590685144.jpg
3MB, 1866x1178px
>>
File: 1454907129382.jpg (250KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1454907129382.jpg
250KB, 1280x960px
I'll stick around but I think I'll stop the dump, hope you guys enjoyed.
>>
>>379942270
I fucking hate zac gorman
>>
File: 1451517620253.jpg (631KB, 2259x1879px) Image search: [Google]
1451517620253.jpg
631KB, 2259x1879px
Perfection I hope they don't remake this classic.
>>
>>379943000
Wow, Poo is such a blockhead.
>>
>>379936318

That happened the first time I played through. I wasted a turn on every subsequent boss trying to Flash them to death.
>>
File: no thanks.jpg (133KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
no thanks.jpg
133KB, 670x377px
>>379917284
>fuck you the video game
>everything you do in this game you get punished for it

No thanks.
>>
earthbound BTFO
>>
To be honest, I haven't finished it yet, but it's still one of my favorite games ever. It's a game about friendship, growing up, and living life. It's not only fun, but inspiring.
>>
>>379920513

Fuck that mall; those enemies are bullshit.
>>
>>379919453
Faggot
>>
File: 1398668359628.png (1MB, 930x618px) Image search: [Google]
1398668359628.png
1MB, 930x618px
>>379917284

Careful, a lot of /v/aggots born after 1995 don't understand why this game was a big deal and will throw an autistic tantrum at its mere mention.

Pic related
>>
>>379933142
this is a comfy picture
>>
>>379946856
>Tfw never got to play the game as a kid and the methods I've used to emulate it all had minor issues which ruined the experience from minute one
It sucks.
>>
>>379937254
Paula is cute!
>>
>>379938731
I'm not up to date but I last remember them blowing up Stonehenge
>>
>>379946856
>Big deal
Literally no one liked this game when it came out. It got mixed reviews and the art style was shit during a time when "16 bit" and graphics were a new thing so appearances were important.The game's impact mostly came after the internet picked it up. Most people way back when didn't finish it because the first 2-4 hours of this game are abysmally bad. Even the kids who only got to rent one game per week and were stuck with it didn't want to finish it because to them it was just a shit game that showed no sign of getting better.
>>
>>379917284
I played it
I have not finished it
>>
>>379917284
it's on my backlog
>>
>>379947619
I didn't think the beginning was bad. The game just doesn't hold your hand. But I get why people wouldn't like it.
>>
One of the things i really like about the mother 2 and 3 is that they dont bloat your party with a shitton of members and rather have a nice focus on the main four you get. one of the things i always hate in other rpgs is having so many party members but using almost none of them because they dont need to be used all the time and when they do they end up underleveled
>>
Every time I try to play Earthbound I just get bored. Nothing feels novel or interesting because everyone with a boner for this game has spoilered the fuck out of it. Anyone who does love this game won't shut the fuck up about it and every "cool secret" or minute detail so I already know pretty much everything when I try to play. It's like trying to read book but it feels like you've already read it a dozen time despite never finishing it.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.