[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Get close to the enemy >Press a button >A mini-cutscene

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: takedown-1.jpg (221KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
takedown-1.jpg
221KB, 1280x800px
>Get close to the enemy
>Press a button
>A mini-cutscene plays
>You win

What do you think of this gameplay mechanic?
>>
I love playing on my console and watch cinematic takedowns!
>>
File: 1492409102829.gif (1MB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1492409102829.gif
1MB, 300x250px
>>379866749
>>Get close to the enemy
>>Press a button
>>An animation plays
>>You win
Literally every game ever
Only thing shitty about DE takedowns were that time stopped somehow.
>>
File: 1492640364128.png (811KB, 641x538px) Image search: [Google]
1492640364128.png
811KB, 641x538px
>>379866749
The "Please the normie" gameplay element.

It's because of those shitty "cinematic" pre-rendered trailers that Blizzard kept shitting out for their RTS and Diablo games, all of that cool shit your characters do in the trailers that you couldn't do in-game. It's all your fault for not bursting into Blizzshit HQ, dragging the employees out and decapitating them.
>>
>>379866960
Nope, HR approach is FAR more braindead than usual. It doesn't matter if the enemy knows about you. Doesn't matter which angle you approach from. Doesn't even matter where you aim. You just respond to a single button prompt and win.
>>
It's fine in stealth games, where the point is you win by surprise.

In FPS the idea is you're at risk because you have to get close, hence the animation being special. It's fine, if you balance the game right.
>>
>>379866749
Would it be better if you had to click and they'd just collapse while the camera remains in 1st person? What would be the idea meachanic for a takedown?

I swear the best one I saw was Thief 3, and you only had to aim for the back of their neck and take care not to touch them.
>>
>>379866960

>Only thing shitty about DE takedowns were that time stopped somehow.

Not to mention that somehow nonlethal had no downside.

>go for nonlethal
>pocket dimension opens
>throw a series of Adam West-style punches
>enemy drops to the floor in their heavy armor
>somehow literally nobody hears this
>100xp Nice Guy bonus

>choose lethal takedown
>pocket dimension opens
>quietly slice through an enemy who makes no real noise
>lower them to the ground
>HEY WHAT WAS THAT OVER THERE?
>50xp Bad Guy bonus
>>
>>379867536
I hated this so fucking much.
Doing a non-lethal run should be an added difficulty, not the optimal way.
If I'm not mistaken, even in MD you get more xp for non-lethal.
>>
>>379867887

True, but in MD the majority of the new augs are lethal-oriented and killing feels more satisfying.
>>
Way less satisfying than actually just doing a melee that plays out in-game.
>>
>>379866749
casual as fuck
>>
>>379866749
>it's literally a cutscene

seriously wtf, talk about disorienting
>>
>>379866960
Nope. Not the same. Everytime someone complains about cinematic takedowns someone ALWAYS defends them as "it's the same thing, you press a button and something happens!" Fucking retarded. First of all in HR and MD this means that there are no melee weapons. You just have the takedown. Second, it pauses everything, you cannot be hurt during them. Third you cannot miss. A highly agile enemy will die as long as you press the win button in close enough proximity to see the cool action sequence.

Compared to in original Deus Ex where you could sprint through a room at high speeds and swing your sword at them. The entire time you are vulnerable, the entire time the enemy AI is moving and reacting. You need to actually control your character as you run to each enemy while killing and dodging. In new HR you run into a room, press the win button, everything stops and guy dies. You come out of the cutscene and the AI start to attack again, but you've just moved into takedown proximity again and another cutscene plays. Repeat. The enemies aren't moving or reacting, time isn't even passing and it breaks the pace of gameplay while removing all of the tension of melee.

Fuck off
>>
File: 1492825538634.jpg (56KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1492825538634.jpg
56KB, 645x773px
>Get close to an enemy
>Press a button
>Your character puts a stun gun against his body and you win
>>
>>379868220
you can miss in MD though.
>>
>>379867247
>It's fine in stealth games

sneaking up and getting an instant kill is fine. but sneaking up, having a cutscene play for the instant kill isnt fine at all.

MGS and old splinter cell games did just fine without having to do that mini cutscene bullshit.
>>
It still amazes me that fucking Breath of the Wild has better stealth than the modern Deus Ex games.
Fucking baffling.
>>
File: 1469926846536.jpg (6KB, 288x224px) Image search: [Google]
1469926846536.jpg
6KB, 288x224px
>immersive sim
>can't see your legs
>>
>>379868753
The added problem is that you don't even have to sneak in the latter case. You can just run up to him and you still get the instakill button.
>>
>>379866749
<Approach object
<Press button
<Something happens
<You may or may not win
>>
>>379868950
>You can just run up to him and you still get the instakill button.
This is definitely part of what bothers me.
>rush dude
>press takedown button
>switches to a cutscene of me tapping a guy in the back of the shoulder and punching him in the face as he turns around
>>
>>379868920
What game are you talking about it? It can't be Deus Ex because it's not a sim.
>>
>get close to enemy
>use the G.E.P. gun for a silent takedown
>>
File: 1470293906382.gif (2MB, 265x257px) Image search: [Google]
1470293906382.gif
2MB, 265x257px
>>379868920
>immersive sim
>can't see everything below your neck
>>
>>379866749
I wish melee had been more involved and not reduced to a cinematic, but it didn't kill my enjoyment of the game. I think it did everything else well enough that this wasn't that big of a deal.
>>
>>379869482
Dude sex is immersive sim
>>
>>379866749

>walk up to enemy press three buttons
>a mini-cutscene plays
>you win

woah so this is the power of hardcore gamers? those extra buttons really made a difference. only pros can handle this!
>>
>>379866749
Shit, like third person ladder climbing and cover system. They're things that break the immersion and/or take control away from you, even if it's just cutscenes, it's not something you should do in immersive Sims.

It's not so bad that it kills the game like context-based movements and actions in Thi4f though.
>>
>>379866749
>mini-cutscene
There's no fucking difference whether the fucking camera changes position or not, you stealth killed someone, they're dead regardless of whether or not your autism is quenched.
>>
>It's a "boring neckbeard dweeb thinks pushing buttons in a air-conditioned room is an actual skill and that he's actually training his reflexes by playing a video game" episode
>>
>>379870197
To be fair, no good way to do ladders has been discovered yet. It's either press button to enter dedicated ladder world, or stay in first person and awkwardly slide up.
>>
>>379870392
>it's a "give me cheap (You)s" episode
Oh well
>>
How's it any different than older games?

I mean, fuck, you can run like a motherfucker in Thief and still blackjack a dude instantly.
>>
File: cheesy.png (736KB, 721x572px) Image search: [Google]
cheesy.png
736KB, 721x572px
>>379866749
I think if theres a weapon that instakills them anyway at close range (the taser) and the effect on player input is the same regardless, its fine. Thankfully they have the power system everyone hated that makes it impossible to just instakill everyone with no effort, maybe if it didnt freeze time that would balance it out further and make it a more tactical decision. They should also make it so different angles or aiming at body parts changes the animation like DOOM.

Overall this "mechanic" should be avoided though, make the player feel as badass as that preanimated kill instead of just showing us something badass.
>>
>>379870537

You can, but said dude can potentially fight back while you try to blackjack him. in HR/MD you fucking ZA WARUDO the enemy and they have no chance to fight back.

That's the key difference.
>>
>>379870859
Hold the fuck up. Wast that a motherfucking Jojo reference?
>>
>>379870496
I'd say that ladder-world system in first person would be the best, seeing your hands grabbing the rungs even if they float a little, would be more immersive than having an out of body experience every time you use a ladder.
>>
File: 1492554239132.jpg (63KB, 960x926px) Image search: [Google]
1492554239132.jpg
63KB, 960x926px
>>379866749
>Point cross-hair at enemy
>pull right trigger
>You win

Fighting solely with melee is objectionably harder than just shooting someone, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove anon.
>>
I like it because I like fancy animations. Though of course, those same fancy animations in first person and in real time would have been better than a perspective switch and time stop.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.