[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought a working dreamcast and 2 controllers for 40 bucks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: dreamcast_12.jpg (165KB, 1700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast_12.jpg
165KB, 1700x1000px
I just bought a working dreamcast and 2 controllers for 40 bucks at a fleamarket I’m totally buying JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for it next month and Shenmue anyone got some game recommendations
>>
Power Stone 1 & 2
>>
Star wars Pod racer
>>
>>379865243
You can just burn CDs of the games, anon.
>>
>>379865243
Jet Set Radio if you don't own it on something else already. Definitely look into getting Seaman.
>>
soul calibur, DOA 2 and Spawn in the demon's hand were my shit back in the day
>>
>>379865243
Just pirate the games, you'll save money.
>>
>>379865491
dont listen to this faggot, your dreamcast is gonna stop reading games eventually if you do this. if anything, you should do the sd card mod
>>
>>379865243

Blue Stinger and I'm not even joking.
>>
>>379865975
Then you could just buy another DC for $40.
And that's not true, or hasn't been since the console was new and people didn't know how to make proper isos.
Now the console does the same amount of seeking with either type of disk.

Anyway, play THPS2 OP.
>>
>>379866224
t. i dont know anything about the dreamcast
>>
File: 7873_front.jpg (51KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
7873_front.jpg
51KB, 640x640px
>>
>>379866286
You win, tough guy.
>>
>>379866674
thx
>>
>>379865243
Grandia II
>>
>>379865975
Guide?
>>
>>379865975
>your dreamcast is gonna stop reading games eventually if you do this

Do you know how optical media works? It's not like the sensor gets more and more tired before eventually collapsing in exhaustion if you try to use media that isn't reflective enough or something. Using it will wear the mechanical components whether it's "good" media or not, if the media is inappropriate then it simply won't read the disc regardless of the wear state of the mechanics. It either works or it doesn't, there is no "Gosh, this burnt CD is hard to read. I'm trying really hard but I don't know for how much longer I can keep this up." crap.
>>
>>379867093
tl;dr
>>
File: evolution.png (131KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
evolution.png
131KB, 256x256px
If you like turn based jrpg games then I'd suggest Evolution and Evolution 2.
>>
>>379865243
Seaman
>>
File: segaisdead.jpg (341KB, 892x1200px) Image search: [Google]
segaisdead.jpg
341KB, 892x1200px
Apologize to the Dreamcast.

>free online
>free dlc
>great exclusives such as power stone, soul calibur, and house of the dead 2 were available at launch
>sega wanted 60fps as the new standard for 3d games and many games were 60fps because of that
>was not overpriced at launch
>great hardware for that time
>tons of great fighting games
>tons of new and creative ips
>>
>>379867176

Here's the short version:

Utter crap. You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>379867034
http://www.theisozone.com/tutorials/dreamcast/hardware-and-modding/how-to-buybuild-a-dreamcast-sandisk-adapter/
>>
>>379867556
i bet you dont even own a dreamcast, cocksucker.
>>
Resident Evil: Code Veronica is a great Resident Evil game exclusive to the dreamcast.
>>
>>379867751

I own two, dick. One is a launch console that has seen extensive use with burnt media for more than ten years now and it still works. The other is a backup I haven't even needed yet.

How about you explain the exact mechanism by which burnt media causes the drive to fail early?
>>
>>379865975
This isn't true. It's a rumor from when dreamcast games were first dumped online and the files weren't organized properly. Nearly all dumps now are sorted to optimize loading and there isn't really any issues.
>>
power stone
crazy taxi
>>
Crazy Taxi (2 is better if you don't want to get both), Maken X
>>
>>379868063
>>379868191
>hurr durr

shut the fuck up.
>>
File: Toy_Commander.png (196KB, 325x318px) Image search: [Google]
Toy_Commander.png
196KB, 325x318px
>>
Phantasy Star Online, and then play it for real on a pc
>>
>>379868191
>It's a rumor from when dreamcast games were first dumped online and the files weren't organized properly.

I suspect it was never an issue then. Unless people weren't doing 1:1 dumps in the early days but I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. This sounds like FUD from anti-piracy people, the same claims were made about the PS2.
>>
jackie chan
>>
Get a CRT, don't you dare play it on a flatscreen unless you're into unplayable input lag.

Also, Twinkle Star Sprites is the most fun vs game ever. Have some drinks and play with a buddy.
>>
PowerStone 2
Jet Set Radio
Chu Chu Rocket
Soul Calibur
>>
Dynamite cop is GOAT
>>
>>379868720
It's true, you can't make 1:1 dumps because of GDROM, so most rips were poorly done.

Today you can get proper rips like the one from DCRES which group essential files into the inner part of the disc for faster loading and thus stresses the lazer less.
>>
>>379865243
Plasma Sword is underrated as fuck. Project Justice is cool too
>>
>>379867524
sorry
>>
Re Volt
Rayman 2
Chu Chu Rocket
Ikaruga
>>
Space Channel 5 of course
>>
>>379869015

My understanding is what is mostly a concern is things like read speed critical situations, e.g. streaming video data. This is not about maintaining the longevity of the hardware at all, it's about ensuring the correct operation of the software.
>>
If you haven't played Legacy of Kain yet, then the Dreamcast has an excellent version of Soul Reaver.

>>379865386
This.
>>
>>379869750
Yeah, but if you get one you also get the other.
Older rips also had badly compressed audio and cutdown on somethings to get smaller dumps, which newer rips try to stick to the original source.
>>
>>379868420
what? it's you that should shut your filthy lie spreading whore mouth
>>
>>379870695
>durr hurr
kys
>>
>>379870432
>Yeah, but if you get one you also get the other.

That's not the way it works. Drive is still spinning, laser is still firing, sensor is still reading the input, the only change here is the increase in read speed that is a consequence of the data's physical location on the disc.

I guess you could claim that you save a few seconds here and there but that's really insignificant unless you add it all up over the course of decades. We are talking an effective decrease of workload of probably not even a few percent, this is not going to save your drive from failing due to normal wear and tear.
>>
File: 575777558_1.jpg (48KB, 600x377px) Image search: [Google]
575777558_1.jpg
48KB, 600x377px
Resident Evil: Code Veronica!!

who doesnt love a good survival horror game?
>>
File: sdc2.jpg (137KB, 602x340px) Image search: [Google]
sdc2.jpg
137KB, 602x340px
>>379865243
Wait for Dreamcast 2
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.