[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are combos in fighting games supposed to be very specific for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: kofcombo.jpg (114KB, 1208x888px) Image search: [Google]
kofcombo.jpg
114KB, 1208x888px
Are combos in fighting games supposed to be very specific for each character, and just memorized, or are they more like a flexible chain of moves you can input depending on the situation?

Like, when you see a "character combo list", are those literally the only combos that character can perform, or just the most common? Can you "create" or discover combos during play or are they limited to those in the combo list by design?
>>
>>379855765
The latter. Most games don't feature "combo lists". If they do, it's either just a set of command moves that can't come out under any circumstance so really you should just treat it like one big move with an awkward input, OR, it's nothing but recommendations to get started with.
>>
>>379855927

Cool, thanks.
>>
>>379856370
I used to think it's like that too, that there's a "combo list" and that determines what combos into what and that's the options you're stuck with, because the first couple of fighting games I ever got exposed to were terribly designed utter trash that people laugh at

If you look at, say, SFIV and SFV, characters have small strings called "target combos" that show up in the move list, where it actually is like that, where it says, effectively, press this button, then that button, then that button, and that makes this flashy animation come out. MK9 and MKX also have those. But that's so meaningless in the grand scheme of the game where your combos are extremely situational, you chain together jabs to safely confirm into other moves, link together seperated heavy attacks with close timing to punish wide openings, use the cancel mechanics to buy you time to make moves come out fast enough before the opponent leaves hitstun, and only very occasionally are these "premade combos" used in the middle of that. But they determine nothing.

All these games come with "trial modes" where it will give you a set of attacks and ask you to string them together. Those are part educational to give you an idea of what's possible, part just trying to be challenging with little value in normal gameplay. SFV actually just had a new set of trials come out recently that were all based on combos that high level players use in normal gameplay, with like a set of "this is how you combo off your fastest move" "this is how your highest damage punish looks like" "this is what your highest damage punish with meter looks like" "this is what your highest damage punish in the corner looks like" but still, you're not bound by that, it's still just suggestions. For example the highest damage combo might leave you in a less advantageous situation afterward, with less time to act, with worse positioning to the corner, it's still all just suggestions and a lot of it is up to your preference.
>>
>>379857820

That makes it all sound way more interesting. Is SFIV a good pick for someone meaning to learn the more technical aspects of fighting games like combos and cancels?
>>
>>379858443
Just get 5 you faggot
>>
>>379858443
As much as people like to shit on it, I think SFV is just about the best starting point you could ever hope for. Imho they did a good job of making it accessible without dumbing it down too much. IV has no players anymore which is the biggest detriment.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.