[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just beat half-life for the first time and honestly it would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1470392251739.jpg (841KB, 2133x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1470392251739.jpg
841KB, 2133x1600px
I just beat half-life for the first time and honestly it would have been much better if they dropped the puzzle and platforming elements instead for more survival horror. Much of the game doesn't feel like you're making progress but just padding to increase the length of the game.
>>
i hate first game's movement. gordon literally ice skating.
>>
>>379789427
I never noticed anything like that. Some parts of the game involved slippery floor as a hazard, but not the whole game.
>>
>>379789225

I really liked the platforming / puzzle stuff as far as pacing goes. Long stretches of non-combat make you feel really isolated and alone. The first person platforming is janky as fuck though and the puzzles were generally as straight forward as a puzzle can get, so mechanically both aspects could have been stronger
>>
>>379789427
I noticed it too. Press a direction button once very fast and gordon takes a thousand steps at the speed of light.
>>
>neo /v/ plays half life for the first time and thinks his opinion is worth shit
>>
Is Half-Life even relevant anymore? Didn't Gaben go full-Jew years ago with Steam and decide he was too good to be a game studio?
>>
>>379789610
It was still a good game, but the repeated use of scripted events to keep the game going just gets annoying after a while. It always makes me feel like they want to stretch out the game length rather than I'm surviving against all odds against military and alien to get to the lambda complex.
>>
>>379790006

Isn't it all the same? You're never getting Episode III anyway...
>>
>>379789543
i'm not talking about natural slippery floors, like when you jump, gordon doesn't stop and moves like skating.
>>379789906
right, and it makes platforming and movement puzzles nightmare
>>
>>379790006
neo /v/ can't even beat the game without the hazard suit.
>>
>>379790053

Most games of the time were still long as fuck because pacing and narrative weren't as important, at least not in action based games. Half-Life was one of the first shooters to demonstrate how pacing and story could be integrated into the gameplay. It's aged better than a lot of games, but still it's hard to appreciate when most of the strengths of Half-Life have been replicated and improved upon by almost every western developer for 2 decades.
>>
>>379789427
the movement in goldsource is great you fag
the only problem is lack of buffered jumps unlike quake
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.