[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>never played any mario game >barely even touched anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

File: luigi-mario-peach-toad.jpg (39KB, 450x323px) Image search: [Google]
luigi-mario-peach-toad.jpg
39KB, 450x323px
>never played any mario game
>barely even touched anything from nintendo
>absolutely love platforming games

i don't know, i think it was all the ytp's that made me think that mario is just a meme
i'm hoping that you guys prove me wrong
what are some of the best mario games for newcomers?
>>
>>379768189
>never played any Mario game
what
>>
>>379768717
literally what I just said
back in the day people didnt know games from the internet but stores and stories
nintendo was never a hit in my country, people just played playstation and pc
but thanks for a shitty bump
>>
>>379769270
alright then homolord, I'll bite
64 if you want a 3D one
SMB3 if you want a 2D one
>>
>>379769428
I was just thinking about playing 64
whats wrong with smb1 and 2?
>>
nothing, they're just old.
>>
>>379769936
Nothing

SMB1 is great, SMB2 is different,and SMB3 is more polished, varied and longer and all that good stuff

Just go through Super Mario All Stars in any order you want
>>
>3D

64 will always be great fun, especially the bowser stages.

Galaxy is very very excellent, 1 is better than 2 though.

Sunshine is also fantastic (haven't played it in years, not sure how well it has aged).

>2D

Yoshi's Island I my all time favourite (not really a traditional mario game)

But I guess you can't go wrong with Super Mario World and SMB3.
>>
>>379768189
I played super mario world first.
>>
>>379769936
Nothing really, just that SMB3 is more polished and the mechanics are more tight and SMB2 is very different from the other entries.
But if you wanna start from the start, don't let me stop you.
>>
>>379768189
>loves platformers but hasn't played BY FAR the best platforming franchise in video games
sounds legit
>>
File: 1496049489765.gif (1MB, 420x384px) Image search: [Google]
1496049489765.gif
1MB, 420x384px
SMB W > SMB 3
>>
Don't play the Galaxy games they're hot garbage.
>>
>>379769428

64 hasn't aged well with its controls. Don't let nostalgia make you believe otherwise. It's a bad intro to 3D Mario games today. Sunshine would be a better recommendation.
>>
>>379770805
Dont listen this guy, he's hot garbage.
>>
>>379768189
SMB3 is probably the best entry point for a newcomer unless you're shit at video games but if you "absolutely love" platformers then I would assume you aren't
>>
File: 1223271172854.png (161KB, 358x389px) Image search: [Google]
1223271172854.png
161KB, 358x389px
GOD TIER
SMW, SMB3, SM64

HIGH TIER
SMB1, SMG, SMB2

TOP TIER
NSMB1

YOU CAN DO BETTER TIER
SMG2, NSMBW

LET'S JUST KEEP MAKING THESE SHALL WE TIER
THE REST

Never had a WiiU or 3DS
>>
>>379770805
>>379770948
throw me out in a chilled garbage bin, I'm hot garbage
>>
>>379770939
Nah, I played it the other day and it hasn't aged as nearly as you think.
Not as polished as Sunshine but it's still pretty good.
>>
>>379768189
The Mario games aren't very good. Doing cool acrobatic jumps is fun but the levels don't compliment Mario's maneuverability.

>3D
Mario Galaxy if you want 3D platforming.
3D World/Land if you like Crash Bandicoot.
Mario Sunshine if you want to go on a scavenger hunt.
Mario 64 if you want to go on a much worse scavenger hunt.

>2D
Super Mario World or Super Mario 3. Play any of the New Super Mario Bros games and you've played every other one.
>>
File: Pachinko-Sunshine.webm (1MB, 712x480px) Image search: [Google]
Pachinko-Sunshine.webm
1MB, 712x480px
>>379770939
>Sunshine would be a better recommendation.
Are you trying to make him hate Mario?
>>
>>379768189
Sunshine
>>
>>379771223

>cherrypicking one level, from a Game Grumps video
>>
>>379768189
if you seriously havve never played a mario game before

>2d
super mario world

>3d
super mario 64 or galaxy 1
>>
>>379769270
>nintendo was never a hit in my country
I don't wanna start an /int/ thread, but I'll ask anyway, what country?

I feel like Nintendo were huge everywhere in the late 80's to late 90's.
>>
>>379771320
Bruh the pachinko level is hot garbage
>>
>>379771223
Everyone agrees the Pachinko is by far the worst level though
>>
File: chuckster gets results.jpg (42KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
chuckster gets results.jpg
42KB, 480x360px
>>379771320
>>
File: super-mario-sunshine-lily-pad.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
super-mario-sunshine-lily-pad.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>379771440
*blocks your path*
>>
File: 1496642477519.gif (2MB, 244x194px) Image search: [Google]
1496642477519.gif
2MB, 244x194px
>>379771391

Then don't play it.
>>
>>379768189
2D
Super Mario 3
Super Mario World
NSMB
NSMBU

3D
All of the 3D entries are good in some form or another
>>
Like others said, play 64 if you want 3D. But don't fucking emulate it with a keyboard. Original hardware or not, just make sure you play with a control stick. The control stick was literally what the game was made for. If you want more 3D Mario afterwards play any of them except 3D Land.

SMB3 is commonly considered the best 2D game, but start with whatever you want. SMB1 is fun, 2 (USA version) is fun, 3 is fun, World is fun.

World 2 is a spin off game and kind of considered part of a separate series, but it's fun too. Play Japanese SMB 2 (The Lost Levels) if you want to get your ass kicked, it's basically a much harder version of 1. Still fun though.

The New Super Mario Bros series is considered very bland compared to the older games. They're okay, but not really anything special. The arcade games like Donkey Kong and Mario Bros are okay, but not representative at all of what most Mario games are really like.

I'm also gonna recommend Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. Not technically Mario games, but damn good Nintendo platformers.
>>
>>379771224
Don't recommend him that shit
>>
>>379771498
>>379771510

Do you dorks want a difficult Mario game or not? Those two levels were completely fine. The pachinko level was only infamous for how the physics would react on slopes.
>>
>>379768717
What is the problem?

I have never ever played a Mario game, or anything from Nintendo besides Donk Kong and Top Gear.
I have never played Mario.
I have never played Zelda.
I have never played Metroid.
Et cetera.
>>
I think Mario 64 aged poorly desu. Id say sunshine is a better representation of the series
>>
File: 1492147180074.jpg (108KB, 499x652px) Image search: [Google]
1492147180074.jpg
108KB, 499x652px
NES and SNES emulation is pretty much perfected at this point. Start with Super Mario Bros, then go to SMB3, and Super Mario World.

For 3D, a brief overview would be SM64 -> Super Mario Galaxy 2 -> Super Mario 3D World. Sunshine, Galaxy 1, and Super Mario Land if you like what you see.

New Super Mario Bros is also a really good series (minus 2), but you shouldn't play more than 1 of them, or you'll get bored. They're basically level packs sold as full fledged games. Still really good platforming, just not different enough to recommend playing ALL of them. You will come to hate platforming if you attempt to do so.
>>
>>379771829
/v/ is Nintendo central. I'm surprised no one's accused you of being a dudebro shooter fanboy yet.
>>
>>379771780
There are many fine examples of difficult Mario levels like the Bowser levels from 64 or the Perfect Run from Galaxy 2.
Stop being a contrarian and defending the absolute horrid levels from Sunshine, there's good to be found in the game but the Pachinko, Chuckster and Lily Pad levels are not some of them.
>>
>>379768189
>i don't know, i think it was all the ytp's that made me think that mario is just a meme

Were you 5 years old in 2010?
>>
>>379768189
>what are some of the best mario games for newcomers?

Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D Land, and Super Mario 3D World.
All of these still capture that special Mario platformer feeling without being too difficult, but still having enough of a difficulty curve to still be fun. Any one of these is a great "baby's first" introduction to the mario series.

If you're feeling a little braver though:
Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Bros. 2, and Super Mario World are what I'd consider the "classic" experience.
They're significantly more difficult compared to what you'd play in today's time, but if you've got the experience and patience they can still be a great ol' time.

I wouldn't recommend Mario 64 if you've never played it unless you want to experience it for historical purposes. It's what set the standard for 3d platformers and it was a good game in it's time, but it's aged like fucking milk. I don't consider this a bad thing, mind you; it having aged terrible is just a sign of how far Nintendo has come and how much they've learned.

If I had to just pick 3 though:
Mario Bros 3, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario 3D World would be the top picks for "first exposure."
>>
>>379772110

The Chuckster level was easy unless you were retarded. All you had to do was align yourself with the Chucksters. The lilly pad level only required some patience. Don't call them horrid just because you had trouble with them when you were younger.
>>
>>379771829
Honestly, you should probably fix Metroid before any of those. One of my favorite Youtubers is a relatively unknown guy who decided to try Metroid on a whim, and ended up loving it, despite thinking he wouldn't ever like the games due to their "slow" pace.

It's Geek Critique, if any of you are wondering.
>>
All "mainline" Mario games are at the very least good. Some of them are great, some of them are up there with the best games ever made.
>>
Literally any Mario they are so eay to get into it isn't even funny.
But playing them is.
At least up to 64 and NSMB for DS dunno about the new shit
>>
>>379771338
poland
>>
File: 1477730002891.jpg (39KB, 480x435px) Image search: [Google]
1477730002891.jpg
39KB, 480x435px
>2d
The first one is a must play, but 3 and world are more enjoyable to me.

>3d
Again, 64 is a must play, but galaxy 1&2 are more enjoyable to me. 3d World with friends is very good too.
>>
>>379768189
The only good Mario platformers are SMB2 (Doki Doki Panic), Sunshine, and Galaxy 1+2.
Mario Maker has its ups and downs.
2D Mario has always been bland trash, Yoshi, DKC, and Kirby all had much better platformers than Mario.
>>
Not surprising if you guys are young. I'm "old" now. Nintendo was pretty much the default console in the early 90s so it was really something everyone just had. Now I have no interest in anything Mario, Zelda related. Back then it just felt new and fun, these days not so much.

I guess I can say I haven't played any FF games yet.
>>
Mario games are designed to be beginner friendly, each and every single one of them. You can't go wrong with just picking up a random Mario game and seeing what it's all about.

New and old Mario games tend to have pretty vicious difficulty curves, while the "middle-period" between 1995 and 2010 is pretty easy all the way through. However, SM64, NSMB, and Sunshine can all get nasty when it comes to certain optional levels.

Ever since SMW, the design philosophy has been to make the game as easy as possible while making getting 100% brutally difficult.
>>
>>379772398
Not him but the lilly pad level itself is fine. It's the fucking twenty minutes of nothing it takes to get there that's bullshit.

Also the chucksters throw at different angles and velocities, there is literally an amount of trial and error in the level. Some of them are instant deaths if you get thrown by them, and when there's two next to each other one of them is almost always certain death.

I like the game but come on man.
>>
>>379773510
>Back then it just felt new and fun, these days not so much.
I'd very much argue that BoTW is the most fun and new feeling game of this generation.
>>
>>379772110
>ANY 64 stage
>Difficult
Maybe because of the horrible, slippery controls 64 had. The levels themselves were piss baby tier.
>>
>>379773014
How did I guess...
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.