[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come racing video games haven't spawned a competitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: racing.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
racing.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
How come racing video games haven't spawned a competitive community like fighting games?

Bonus Question: What's the best racing game to play competitively?
>>
>>379759975
it has, but all competitive racing game discussion is kept to /o/. There are loads of hardcore simracers with ten thousand dollar setups that do nothing but championships on the weekends
>>
Because there is more real racing than anybody watches already and they are functionally the same.

Arcade racers are either based around arcade hardware and don't exist outside of asia or RNG as fuck.
>>
Because racing game skills translate to real life, so people do various types of racing IRL instead.
>>
Mario Kart has a competitive scene, but most racers I know are more focused on Time Trial WRs than head-to-head.
>>
just race irl bro its way more fun
>>
>>379761665
Unless your playing racing sims more realistic than gran turismo, then no the skills usually don't transfer to real life.
>>
>>379762481
and racing games less realistic than simcades don't foster competition.
>>
there's no community because of the small playerbase this genre has, most of it is comprised of late 20s to 30s people with normalfag lives and responsibilities and don't give much of a shit about vidya.
>>
>>379759975

>What's the best racing game to play competitively?

DiRT Rally. Alternatively find a local amateur rally club in real life and join up.

>Get pretty good at driving in mud/gravel/dirt/tarmac/concrete IRL
>Never snows in Aus so no chance to practice on snow/ice surfaces

I'll probably end up sliding the car into a tree or a ditch.
>>
>>379759975
It has, but there's no niggers so you never hear any drama.
>>
>>379762330
This
It is easy to have a track day than mastering unarmed combat and beating the shit out of another person.
>>
>>379759975
Apart from simulators, i think project gotham 3 atleast had some sort of competetive scene.
Many racing games have some sort of small scale world-record hunting.
>>
File: 1495716683216.jpg (19KB, 480x405px) Image search: [Google]
1495716683216.jpg
19KB, 480x405px
>>379763728
what did he mean by this.
>>
Because racing is fucking boring to watch.

And if you don't have an audience, a spectator audience, it's never going to take off as something really competitive.
>>
>>379759975
Forza?
>>
>>379759975
the setups for high level play are too impractical and expensive, as opposed to just an arcade stick you can fit in a backpack
>>
>>379764181
What i never get is how hard people get over racing the same tracks over and over and over.
Especially in vidya you have way more control to make crazy diverse and new tracks all the time to switch things up and keep things interesting per competition.

Well integrated "contact" aspects of racing is something that could be expanded upon too. I've played very little racing that did something interesting with this that dealt with subjective blocking and bulldozering when racing eachother realtime that is interesting to do and watch.
>>
iRacing, Forza motorsport. Look up super GT on YouTube he has recently uploaded some competitive forza races
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.