[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Good games that sent their respective franchises into terminal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: cod4.jpg (174KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
cod4.jpg
174KB, 1440x900px
ITT: Good games that sent their respective franchises into terminal decline. I'll start.
>>
>>379722623
It sent the genre into decline for a while
>>
File: fallout-4-skidrow-crack-pack-pc.jpg (230KB, 1060x1500px) Image search: [Google]
fallout-4-skidrow-crack-pack-pc.jpg
230KB, 1060x1500px
It hasn't happened yet, but you know the Settlement survivalcraft shit and the flanderization of the setting is here to stay.
>>
counter strike source
war craft 3 (if u include WoW as same franchise)
guild warss 1
>>
>>379722728
It sent the industry into decline for awhile
>>
>>379722771
But Fallout 4 is bad
>>
>>379723168
It is, but you can't say that it technically set it into a terminal decline yet because there hasn't been a sequel. I'm 100% sure it will be but I'm being autistic.
>>
Mgs2 and re4
>>
>>379722771
>Fallout 4Kids
>beiny anywhere close to good
you're being too generohus
>>
>>379722623
dark souls
>>
File: Silent_Hill_2.jpg (41KB, 320x462px) Image search: [Google]
Silent_Hill_2.jpg
41KB, 320x462px
>MUH MENTAL MANIFESTATIONS!
>>
>>379722771
>good games
>>
>>379723350
this,
>>
>>379722623

this doesn't make any sense

if a game is good it's not possible for it to send the franchise into decline
just because a franchise happened to decline after a certain game that doesn't mean that game caused it
believe it or not there is probably much more specific reasons why a franchise would decline
>>
Unpopular opinion: Assassin's Creed 2. Took a game that was historical Hitman with decent philosophical writing and turned it into a badass action movie with bloated subsystems and conbo kill chains.
>>
>>379723168
i bought fo4+ season pass and id be open to buying fo5 + season pass as long as it looked smoother than fo4 and wasnt a console port and as long as the text options actually did something
>>
>>379723605

This is a simplistic view you have. A game can be so good that it ruins any need for innovation in its sequels. This leads to sequels feeling either too repetitive when they reuse the winning formula, or feeling like a step backwards when they try to innovate.
>>
File: header.jpg (25KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
25KB, 460x215px
>>
>>379724048
This. On the face of it Ass Creed 2 is little different from anything that came after. I think people just enjoy its setting more, or are bored with the franchise.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (68KB, 800x1126px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
68KB, 800x1126px
>>
>>379722771
I think Fallout 3 fits closer with OP's guideline. I would hesitate to say FO3 was a "good game", but I did get some enjoyment out of it on my first playthrough. I can't really say the same for FO4.
>>
>>379722623
>ITT: Good games

You could've started off by actually posting one
>>
>>379724048

Problem with that is that the first AC was painfully repetitive and had forced cutscenes out the ass, neither of which were prevalent in the Hitman games. Sure, in concept, the setups to the assassinations were better (you need to go on information-gathering missions to coordinate everything), but in practice it just meant following yet another random cloaked guy down a few alleyways until you punched him in the throat until the game let you progress, plus the important characters were just bland as plain museli. 2 may have casualized the game further, but it was certainly more memorable and interesting than 1.
>>
>>379724504
>t. underage

If you couldn't enjoy CoD4 for what it was back in 2007, you must've been an extreme contrarian. The problem with CoD4 isn't that it wasn't good, it's that they have been remaking the same game with a different coat of paint each year in the decade it's been out.
>>
>>379724112
so like Resident Evil 4?
>>
>>379724504
You were born after Call of Duty came out
>>
>>379724385
first was better tho. I'll accept two as the long moment of suspense before the rollercoaster finally plummets.
>>
>>379722623
Halo 3, sort of. Not sure if it was the game itself or just the end of an era though.
>>
>>379725278

1 was only better in terms of writing. 2 was a straight mechanical and graphical upgrade.
>>
File: Halo-Combat-Evolved-Cover-Art.jpg (765KB, 994x995px) Image search: [Google]
Halo-Combat-Evolved-Cover-Art.jpg
765KB, 994x995px
the entire fps genre has still not recovered from recharging shields/health
>>
MGS3 in the sense that future titles became focussed on the will of the boss.
>>
>>379725671
Counterstrike GO
Quake champions

Regenerating health isn't an inherently bad thing, it punishes passivity and encourages action and discourages camping
>>
>>379724781
> you must've been an extreme contrarian
I guess so, I really enjoyed Crysis (which came out around the same time) while everyone was busy calling it a glorified tech demo.

I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it at all initially, but I feel pretty ambivalent about it these days. It doesn't help that a lot of trends that I've come to loathe originated from that game.
>>
>>379725586
that's fair actually. I didn't care much for the crafting system, although I guess that may be a bias against people who did, and the charm of the first's writing may be rose-tinting my appreciation for it. As with their graphics tho, while the second had inherent reasons to be flashy and better, and it did look nice, I liked 1's visuals better for the fact of it being based in a mall, and using colour pallets and shop designs that are recognizable for myself and most people, even if some displays are quite over-the-top.
>>
File: NewSuperMarioBrothers.jpg (27KB, 256x230px) Image search: [Google]
NewSuperMarioBrothers.jpg
27KB, 256x230px
>>379726458
>It doesn't help that a lot of trends that I've come to loathe originated from that game.

Yeah, that's the entire point of the thread.

>>379722623
Pic related has ruined 2D Mario for another generation.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.