[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kc dRBHM7kM Real talk: wh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: 1497050437760.jpg (200KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497050437760.jpg
200KB, 1280x720px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

Real talk: why is Nintendo the only company that can make good platformers, especially when talking about 3D, and especially when talking about the modern age?

Why can't Sony first party make a good platformer? I don't get it. They haven't even fucking tried to since the fucking PS2.
>>
>>379697974
The people that made the old platformers at nintendo passed the knowledge or remain at nintendo.

The people that made most of the old non nintendo platformers simply left the industry.

In the case of playtonic/rare, I think giving them too much creative freedom let them to implementing way too many ideas that just dont work and they always had the mindset that the bigger the world the better, instead of bothering to make it more interesting or cohesive as a whole. Reason why Banjo Nuts and Bolts and Yooka Laylee actually share a lot of the same problems when you strip them away with the car mechanics for the former and tons of minigames for the latter.
>>
>>379697974
Something that's really important in platformers is that the very act of moving around needs to be fun and satisfying. It's really genius that Nintendo understood this since the inception of 3D platformers when making Super Mario 64, when other devs didn't even have an idea of how to do 3D control. In 3D Mario you can jump, triple jump, back flip, side flip and wall jump. You can move like a ninja just going from point A to point B if you're skilled.

I played Tearaway Unfolded recently and it was pretty bad. You move slowly, the game's gameplay lies in fetch quests and gimmicky challenges, and the game doesn't even give you the ability to jump for hours. It's like playing Twilight Princess and not getting the sword until hours in. It sucks and other devs will never understand what make platformers tick like Nintendo does.
>>
>>379698717
I was never a fan of Rare's 3D platformers. DK64, Banjo, Konker, never liked any of them.
>>
>>379697974
>why is Nintendo the only company that can make good platformers

It's not that they are the only that can make good platformers. What happens is that it's the only that's given 12/10 scores for any shit they release even if it's Mario 3DWorld tier of shit every important site, every fucking pikmin/nintenbro will say it's the second advent of JesusChrist with 0 flaws.
A thing that could be seen as bad on any other platformer it will be seen as a "great innovative feature" on a Mario Game.

pt: Very hyped about Odissey but let's get real.
>>
>>379698927
>Something that's really important in platformers is that the very act of moving around needs to be fun and satisfying. It's really genius that Nintendo understood this
Well we're well past Mario 64's release. How come it seems that it's still only Nintendo that gets the importance of good fluid movement in platformers?

Little Big Planet is such a gigantic pile of shit because the core platforming and mechanics is just total shit.

Why's it so hard for them to understand that if you want a good platformer the movement has to feel fluid and responsive while being mechanically rich?
>>
>>379698927
Barely any of those abilities are actually necessary to complete the game. You can run and jump for the entire game and do most of the stars. But there's options there for players who do want to muck about or find shortcuts.

Honestly, it's kind of surprising that a Nintendo game would have so much 'excess'. Imagine trying to tell Miyamoto that you want a bunch of pointless jumps that are just there for fun. He'd tell you "no, only triple jumps and wall-jumps and you don't need all these offensive moves, Mario's attack is his jump". Things like BotW, that allow player creativity haven't been the case for Nintendo in a long time.
>>
>>379698927
Media Molecule can craft some incredible looking games, but they really dont get how to make core mechanics for platformers.
>>379699105
DK64 is one of the embodiments of everything that can go wrong with a 3D paltformer outside of its core mechanics, that game is just a mess. But I still hold the first Banjo as much more of a cohesive experience than their later platformers.
>>
>>379699124
>It's not that they are the only that can make good platformers. What happens is that it's the only that's given 12/10 scores for any shit they release even if it's Mario 3DWorld tier of shit every important site, every fucking pikmin/nintenbro will say it's the second advent of JesusChrist with 0 flaws.
Name 9/10 rated 3D platformers from this gen and the last that aren't Nintendo.
>>
>>379699105
I disagree with Conkers only because at the time that was actually pretty edgy to me. It didn't stand up to time but at the time it was pretty awesome. The game play was clunky as per typical rare but still enjoyable.

The rest of Rares games are shit after Goldeneye 007.
>>
>>379699392

That was the WHOLE point of my post you idiot.
>>
>>379699617
I mean from you perspective you retard. What platformers do you feel deserve 9/10 that didn't get those scores just because they aren't Nintendo.
>>
>>379699124
>>379699392
not him but i think that the point is that other publishers aren't even thinking of investing in a good platformer series

i can only think of some random indie game that doesn't even come close,
nintendo games get high scores because they actually put effort in polishing them
>>
>>379699124

>it's just a conspiracy

OP geuinely wants to play more good 3D platformers. How about you recommend him a few?
>>
Platformers are shit tho Nintendo is still making them because they are stuck in 1990
>>
>>379697974
>why is Nintendo the only company that makes GOAT platformers
Gee, I wonder why. But honestly, it's basically because the industry as a whole chased the $$$. Like the FPS genre, the open world genre, then cellphone games. And Nintendo is one of the only companies that takes care of their franchises. There are other companies that have very iconic franchises, like Mega-Man for example but they're just abandoned.
>>
File: can't do this in SM3DW.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
can't do this in SM3DW.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>379699392

There are none. Publishers stopped investing on them. But it makes 0 sense that a shitpile of crap like Mario 3D World is considered "the best platforming game ever" just because they had to defend the single one "3D" mario game that crap console had.
>>
>>379697974
They are stuck making the same 5 games over and over since forever, of course they are going to be good at it
>>
>>379699379
>Media Molecule can craft some incredible looking games, but they really dont get how to make core mechanics for platformers.

Seriously, they need to be overseen by Nintendo so it can really bring out their full potential. I don't think Sony is giving them that
>>
Crash remakes are coming. Decent chance they'll lead to a proper Crash 4 if it sells well.
>>
>>379700463
And when they make something new, people pretend it doesn't exist, or belittle it for being kiddy shit, and then pretend it doesn't exist.
>>
>>379700463
Sony would kill to have Nintendo's 5 games to make over and over.
>>
>>379700513
Crash has always been shit desu, especially when compared to mario 64. No contest. Just a dull limited platformer still essentially trapped in 2D design philosophy. not interested in the remasters at all.
>>
Because they're old hands. They've bern making platformers for a 30 years or so. They've had several decades to perfect their craft. Playstation just isn't that old, Sony hasn't been at this for very long.
>>
>>379700747
Okay. You're free to that opinion if you want.
>>
>>379700324
we all agree that 3D world was below average compared to other mario games, but even with its flaws it's still an above average platformer

others aren't even trying
>>
>>379700513
Crash was never good. It was supposed to be Playstation's answer to Mario but seriously compare Crash 1-3 to Mario 64 or even World a generation back. It's a good platformer to PS owners eho didn't know any better
>>
Can't you fags wait like 3 more days?
>>
>>379700324
Bitch please. Once it comes to Switch it'll sell a lot more. It has nothing to do with the Wii U.
>>
>>379700324
>filename

You can't do that in SMG1 and SMG2 either. Those two games feel so slow and sluggish. SMS is still one of my favourite games to date and I really hope Odyssey will be able to keep up with how awesome SMS felt.

Secretly, I'm hoping for SMS HD or SMS 2, but that's highly unlikely.
>>
>>379700913

Pretty much. Yeah it's not muh Mario 64, but it is a well made platformer
>>
>>379698927
>You can move like a ninja just going from point A to point B if you're skilled.
this is what makes SM64 so fun, I really enjoy that game and I'm not into platformers
>>
>>379701036
SMS was shat all over by so many people but I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Galaxies are good too, 3D world was meh.
>>
>>379701179
The only people who shit on SMS are 4chan /v/irgin contrarians
>>
>>379701179
>SMS was shat all over by so many people
And at the same time those people say SM64 is the pinnacle of gaming, completely ignoring how outright shit the controls were in that game and how badly it has aged.
>>
>>379697974
it's not that they are the only ones who do, it's that they are the only ones who promote the shit out of their games.
>>
>>379697974
Independent developers have been able to make low-budget platformers that feel great to play for ages. It's not like Nintendo hasn't released some fairly flawed platformers in the past, either.
>>
>>379701342

Yeah, that's true. Honestly, the only 3D Mario games I'm not fond of are the galaxies.
>>
>>379701562
I really like them but I never want to play them again. They're great for one playthrough.
>>
File: yu yu hakusho.jpg (25KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
yu yu hakusho.jpg
25KB, 640x360px
>>379697974
>jumping on piranha plants kills them

this will never not trigger me
>>
>>379701179
The basic controls in SMS are incredible but the level design is bad and there are more than a few missions that involve some particularly tedious bullshit.
>>
>>379701750
So... like every 3D Mario ever? They've always applied different rulesets than 2D Marios.
>>
>>379702340
Not in Mario 64
>>
>>379701640

I liked Galaxy on my first playthrough too. Just don't like it anymore though. Never liked Galaxy 2.
>>
>>379702668
Yeah. At least Galaxy 1 had somewhat of a hubworld. Nothing that'd come close to Isle Delfino though.
>>
>>379697974
Nostalgia.
>>
Crash is great
>>
>>379702410
Wow really? It's been awhile, but I could have sworn that if you're fast enough, you can jump on them before they wake up.
>>
>>379697974
>why is Nintendo the only company that can make good platformers, especially when talking about 3D, and especially when talking about the modern age?
Is anybody else trying? Yooka-Laylee was the only major 3D platformer I can think of in the last few years.
>>
>>379708765
>Yooka-Laylee was the only major 3D platformer I can think of in the last few years.
yeah and it was aids, apparently.

why is no one else even trying?

that fucking mario vid has 22 million views, it means people like platformers. I know mario has brand recognition and is nintendo's mascot, but it still represents a clear interest in platforming games. if another faggot dev could make a good platformer they'd have a shot at high sales, too.

seriously don't other devs have the imagination/innovation nintendo produces for platformers? lame shit.
>>
>>379709387
*why don't
>>
Platformers don't sell anymore unless they're indie now, sadly.
>>
>>379709387
>mario vid has 22 million views
That's literally nothing tho, there are like 15 million nintendo fans in the world (wiiu sales), that plus all the spamming nintendo fans do all over the internet with nintendo videos
>>
>>379697974
Only brainlets still think platformers are rewarding. Also this looks like shit, stop kidding yourself
>>
File: yousirareaswine.jpg (45KB, 407x407px) Image search: [Google]
yousirareaswine.jpg
45KB, 407x407px
>>379699596
>Perfect Dark
>shit
>>
>>379699596
>Goldeneye
>good
>>
>>379710263
simply ebin meme
>>
>>379697974
nintendo has a "make it fun first" design philosophy. They worked on making mario feel good to play as in mario 64 for a long-ass time before they started developing the game itself.
>>
File: 1478594640388.jpg (66KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1478594640388.jpg
66KB, 512x384px
>>379709387
>why is no one else even trying?
Too busy crapping out derivative FPS, walking simulators, sandbox games, and other "cinematic experience" garbage.
>>
File: 1426356935758.png (923KB, 3000x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1426356935758.png
923KB, 3000x1360px
>>379709387
Hold over from last generation; Western developers, who rarely made 3D platformers, gained dominance and Japanese developers subsided. Coupled with the "we need to make everything mature and gritty" mentality of the early 7th gen and that set the foundation for what normies and casuals bought for an entire generation. Also doesn't help Rare, one of the few Western devs who made 3D platformers, fell into the Microsoft blackhole of pumping out shitty Kinect games.

>seriously don't other devs have the imagination/innovation nintendo produces for platformers?
Gotta aim for the lowest common denominator of casuals, goyim! (pic related) Those AAA open world rehashes don't make themselves!
>>
>>379698927
Nigga has a point.

Even just fucking around outside the castle was great. I remember spending hours just running around, climbing trees, diving in the moat and practicing my triple jump - having a great time without going anywhere near the main game.

It's only one of the reasons why BotW is such a joy - climbing, exploring, parasailing - without really doing anything particular, just fucking around. It's about making the game fun to play even when you're not *playing* the game.

If you get that right, you're into a winner. Most devs, especially Western ones, don't get it.
>>
you don't fuck with mario
>>
>>379700819
>>379700915

You two bozos mumbling your hiveminded "sony's answer to mario" crap, without looking for solid information yourselves. Crash was not something sony commissioned for a single commercial "higher purpose" or whatever the fuck people like to think, it was made to be a classic, point a - point b platformer, inspired by the classics of animation, with their wacky characters and heavy use of squash and stretch characteristics. Crash1 came out almost the same time as Mario 64, which further shows how both were doing their own thing before being compared with each other by the public.

Crash has never been designed to be a "open worldish" game like Mario 64, all you idiots are doing is comparing apples and oranges. It's really pathetic how instead of recognizing a game for it's own features, you Mariofags feel the urge to compare it to others, in order to reassure your own games. They're both good at
what they did.
But Mario64 aged like horseshit.
>>
>>379697974
no one aside from nintentoddlers wants platformers
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.