[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games don't "age" a 30 year old game is just as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 1469063226023.gif (2MB, 280x211px) Image search: [Google]
1469063226023.gif
2MB, 280x211px
Games don't "age" a 30 year old game is just as fun as it was 30 years ago.
>>
>>379662954
What they mean by that is that old games withing a certain genre may have old designs or mechanics that may be outdated or archaic today compared to new games withing the same genre.
>>
Games that rely on novelty age.
>>
Video games do age in a way. Sometimes a game that was good in the time it came out, like say 80's or 90's, won't hold up by modern standards.
>>
If games don't age, how can you tell how old they are
>>
>>379662954
Untrue. Context changes things. There's a reason kids don't play hoop stick anymore. It isn't fun.
>>
>>379663834
cut the disk in half, then count the rings
>>
i can probably play some old games fine
and something like windwaker would be great to pick up and play again
and last i checked, i think a lot of people still play tetris or variations of it
>>
>>379662954
but you'd be thinking about the extra fun you could be having playing a newer, more refined game for a given genre
>>
>>379662954
Atari games were good for their time but don't hold much value today.
>>
>>379662954
Correct.
>>
>>379662954
But modern games force you to compare to older games. Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>379662954
Sorry, but everything improveswith time. That means our standards and expectations increase. That means old shit no longer cuts it.
>>
Correct. The things that age are your expectations and threshold for having fun or not. It's all subjective.
>>
>>379662954
Games age but the fun factor is a subjective topic. The game of chess is nearly 500 years old and still fun to play for people who like it.
>>
>>379662954
Brilliant observation OP, you are right. What was the point of this thread? Shitpost Bait?
>>
File: bad hombre.png (3KB, 256x109px) Image search: [Google]
bad hombre.png
3KB, 256x109px
>>379662954
But our perceptions of fun, or what is fun, can change.
Ie: Sonic Adventure. Many people didn't realize how fucking wonky it was back then, and then they go back and it makes them question if their childhood sucked usually.
>>
>>379662954
Imagine if we had President Bush. We could have had free turtles and guaca bowls for everyone. Fucking /pol/ had to go and ruin everything.
>>
>>379663876
Kek
>>
guac merchant simulator 2017 when
>>
Wrong as fuck nigga
>>
>>379663876

What about digital games
>>
>>379664358
Sonic Adventure is still fun. It's definitely better than Sonic Adventure 2.
>>
>>379664447
I rather have kek to be honest. At least i know he is real, and so is his magic.
>>
>>379664447
M8 what about "slow and steady" is so hard to understand? The promised time will come, JEB!2020!
>>
>>379662954
God Hand will always be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8-ZQV6KqPI
>>
>>379664782
RE[DC] stll holds up, RE2 [Dual shock] still holds up, RE4 still holds, up. Saddly nothing after those come close because they try to emulate shoot-bangs of the modern era instead of sticking to their classic formula. Even RE7 is shit for that plays like any other FPS survival horror. I'm fucking down with Capcom.
>>
Games are based on interactivity. As games evolve, more intuitive ways of interactivity are created. If you're used to newer games and haven't had exposure to old ones, you'll have an understandably hard time with something from the early 90's. It is true though, that games do not "age". They are the same game they were back in the 90's, and the only real obstacle is the willingness of the player to learn new and often awkward ways of interactivity.

Movies are different, because things like how crisp the image is don't matter to the quality of the film.
>>
>>379662954
It's because modern games have more polish and uniformity in terms of controls and design than a lot of older games. It depends on the game though. Super Mario Bros has not aged at all because it's a relatively simple game with tight-controls and timeless aesthetics.
>>
>>379665268
>Movies are different, because things like how crisp the image is don't matter to the quality of the film.
God you're fucking dumb.
>>
>>379665408
frig off
>>
>>379665123
But I'm talking about Halo CE in particular you dumb bitch, why the fuck are you bringing up Capcom?
>>
>>379662954
How many kids do you see playing hopscotch nowadays?
>>
>>379662954
i play games from the mid 90s-ish at the oldest. older than that isn't really good.
>>
Not really true. Yes, a game from 30 years old is still the same as it was then, the difference is that it might have game mechanics that are now outdated, so when you play it today, you might not have as much fun as you did back then because now you are used to better gameplay.
>>
a lot of early 3d games definitely aged poorly. the mechanics were poor but the tech was too novel for it to not get pushed commercially.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.