[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If there's artificial difficulty, is there also artificial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: thinking smiley.png (45KB, 438x157px) Image search: [Google]
thinking smiley.png
45KB, 438x157px
If there's artificial difficulty, is there also artificial ease?
What would be an example of it?
>>
instead of an inflated health bar, it's a deflated health bar

also they've reduced the amount of challenging mechanics involved
>>
>>379660887
Saving everywhere
>>
>>379660887
Minimaps, waypoints, QTEs
>>
>>379660887
YOUR FACE HAHAHA!
>>
Either just very low hp/damage or handholding depending on if you use the right definition or /v/'s retarded definition.
>>
>>379660887
>Would you like to restart the battle?
Every battle
>>
File: ritsu thinking.jpg (59KB, 488x647px) Image search: [Google]
ritsu thinking.jpg
59KB, 488x647px
>>379661018
>>379661023
>>379661307
So quality-of-life improvements? I guess that makes sense if we define artificial difficulty as something time consuming and tedious rather than requiring skill, so artificial ease would be making something complex or obtuse more accessible and/or quicker, like memorizing maps or recipes and running through cleared areas.
>>
>>379660887

Enemies scale to your level.
>>
>>379660887

Probably the closest thing is the thing that's in almost all PC games: quicksave and quickload. Those two things remove all challenge from basically anything because you can simply flap around incompetently until you succeed at one part of the task, hit quicksave and guarantee progress even if you wouldn't be able to play one straight minute of the game without dying.
>>
>>379661307
I loved the Souls series but I couldnt bring myself to beat DS3 because I just dont have time to run through a level everytime I die to the boss, just take my fucking souls and let me retry from the boss room.
>>
Retarded AI
>>
>All QTEs
>Saving anywhere
>Unkillable NPC companions
>Checkpoints
>>
Aim assist
>>
>>379660887
It's pretty much in all triple A games nowadays

>xray vision
>third person
>health regen
>aim assist
>minimap with enemies location
>line that show who spotted you and where
>>
>>379663128
this
>>
>>379660887
modern games
>>
>>379660887
Rubberbanding in racing games technically counts, as it slows down the lead to allow the player to catch up. It is also a case of artificial difficulty as well, boosting the rival racers' speed in order to catch up with someone ahead.
>>
>>379660887
consoleplebs get autoaim turned on at all times.
>>
File: mag.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mag.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>379660887
Aim assist on consoles.
>>
Watch minecraft storymode
There's "tense" situations where failure is impossible.

If a game presents a situation that seems dangerous but you literally can't fail, dispite actively trying to, I would say this is artificial easiness.
>>
>>379660887
leftmost smiley is best. makes me think the most
>>
>>379660887
invincibility cheating
for in game equivalent, grinding coins from level one to buy the omega-level armor and breezing through the game taking ~no damage
>>
>>379660887
That one Barney game on the Genesis that plays itself if you don't touch the controller.
>>
>>379664430
I've had this in games where it seems like shits hitting the fan but the second you stop acting like shit hits the fan the tension bleeds out. I forget the game but it was a "RUN!" segment but if you just stopped moving so did the thing chasing you. You could literally idly walk to the exit.
>>
>>379663128
it's a dumb term but it's this, if anything
>>
>>379660887
Cinematic fights
>>
>>379664430
Then besides the worst endings, Beyond: Two Souls falls in the same problem. David Cage has this problem of not believing in a fail state, and even Heavy Rain has plot armor for ridiculous things.
And there's shit like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-L-G1q_0L8
>>
>>379662880
Came here to say this.
>>
>>379660887
The Order 1886
>>
artificial would be something that feels like it makes the game easier but it really doesn't

I honestly can't think of anything
>>
>>379665249
Bigger health bar with the same amount of health
Higher damage number, but enemies health matching the damage increase
>>
>>379665249
JRPG number scaling
>>
>>379660887
>Regenerative health
>Less health/damage for enemies
>Aim Lock/V.A.T.S.-styled shit
>Minimaps, unless you have to pause the game to use them
>Abusing the console for quick cash/top-tier weapons/etc
>Abusing game-breaking status effects or sequences to farm XP/gold/etc
>Any non-DLC microtransactions, ever
>Abusing enemy AI to cheese levels with little effort
>Infinite eating capabilities, i.e. getting nausious from too much food
>Any RNG, ever
>Any time any failure or downfall can be mitigated to obscurity or avoided entirely
the list goes on
>>
File: makes you stink.png (8KB, 770x706px) Image search: [Google]
makes you stink.png
8KB, 770x706px
>>379660887
>>
>>379666053
sorry, meant
>Infinite eating capabilities, i.e. not getting nausious from too much food
>>
>>379660887
your mom
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.