[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come Sonic games don't translate well into 3D? Take

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 324.png (628KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
324.png
628KB, 700x393px
How come Sonic games don't translate well into 3D?

Take Sonic Generations for Example, some of the best stages are the side scrolling ones, while all the 3D ones were just hand holding QTEs over and over again.

Why can't sonic accept the fact that Sonic games are just better off as side scrollers and the fans are tired of seeing failed attempts repeated over and over again?
>>
>>379637848
>In 2-D you can go left and right
>In 3-D you only move forward

I know that's not entirely true for 3-D. A lot of mistakes need you to go backward to get back on path. Also that 3-D stages switch into 2-D.
>>
>>379637848
Because they try to apply the 2D gameplay formula to a completely different beast.

3D Sonic should be controlling/playing like a racing game with combat elements.
I don't know why they haven't done this but it's so obvious.

Instead we get Sonic on rails, or not-zelda sandboxes that don't work.
>>
>>379638471
Sonic Generations does play like a racing game with combat elements. At slow/stopped speeds Sonic controls like a platformer (press right on the control stick to turn 90 degrees and walk that direction), but once he's going fast enough to put his arms behind him he controls like an F-Zero car (press right on the control stick to drift right). He'll even stick to invisible rails on paths once he's going fast enough.
>>
File: 1380355591742.jpg (256KB, 444x652px) Image search: [Google]
1380355591742.jpg
256KB, 444x652px
>>379637848
But Classic Sonic was fucking garbage who handled like wet shit. Compare that to something like Mania where the controls look tight and responsive.

You are right about Modern Sonic though. It's way to automated and every level is essentially a really pretty hallway with little exploration and actual platforming.

Sonic can work in 3D just fine, it's just that we've never had a team of developers competent enough to handle it. Utopia is a great jumping off point, but it really is just a proof of concept. I think if they used something similar to Utopia as a foundation for the core gameplay, you'd have a much more satisfying experience than the boost2win gameplay offers.

>>379638471
>Because they try to apply the 2D gameplay formula to a completely different beast.

That's not what they did at all. They stripped away the thing that was most satisfying about playing 2D Sonic which was gaining momentum and maintaining it through skill. Once Sonic Team realized that they couldn't handle making that transition into 3D, they decided to make it more of an "action" game where you're constantly given speed, making it more of a spectacle rather than an actual game. This eventually culminated in the boost formula which is everything wrong with 3D Sonic condensed into one mechanic.

>3D Sonic should be controlling/playing like a racing game with combat elements.

That's not far off from what we already have though, and I feel like when people say this they don't fully understand why Sonic was great in the first place. You'd do well under Iizuka though, so if I were you I'd pop a resume over to Sega.

>>379638882
>He'll even stick to invisible rails on paths once he's going fast enough.

A lot of times it's really not that elegantly programmed though. It's just a scripted event that kicks in once you step over a certain point. And if you let go of the control stick there's a good chance that you'll be propelled forward anyway due to boost pads everywhere.
>>
>>379637848
I like the 2D stages, its just that I like 3D ones better. Perfect time is fun as hell
>>
>>379638882
The problem is, in racing games you STEER. In Boostsanic you don't. You sidestep.
>>
Honestly if they just tried to make Adventure again but this time actually make it not control like ass it could work pretty well. Adventure had a good mixture of platforming and speed and really felt like they tried to take the Genesis games and give them a third dimension. Also don't waste time on emerald hunting/fishing/shooting bullshit.
>>
>>379637848
>go forward
>go forward with turns
>go forward jumping on platforms
The problem is, the levels in the 2D games felt very big. You could play a level three times without taking the exact path twice. The 3D games need this open-ness and exploration if they want to feel satisfying.
>>
File: makedonian_pepe.png (357KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
makedonian_pepe.png
357KB, 500x600px
Mania will the best first game in that shitty series i've bought since the last century,
>>
>>379637848
Because the are meant to be 2d
>>
>>379643546
Will it be a one-off or will it usher in a neoclassical era?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.