[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone play this that's actually into Tolkien? GOTY edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: Shadow-of-Mordor.jpg (995KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow-of-Mordor.jpg
995KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone play this that's actually into Tolkien?

GOTY edition is only £2.99, so I was considering giving it a runthrough.
>>
>>379604252
Repetitive as shit, honestly can't believe it was released as a real game.

Also, fuck shills.
>>
Anyone who is into Tolkien would either not play this or ignore that it's related to Tolkiens work
>>
>>379604252
Tolkin personally gave this game his stamp of approval saying "This is the natural successor to lord of the rings"
>>
>>379604580
This isn't true, OP.
>>
>>379604580
Fucking based
>>
>>379604580
>>379604692
....he's dead
>>
>>379604743
Anon, I think he meant Chris.
>>
File: cfiby.jpg?a415728.jpg (24KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
cfiby.jpg?a415728.jpg
24KB, 620x412px
>>379604632
>>379604743
>>
It's pretty shit but the new one Shadow of War coming out in a few months actually looks pretty good.

I mean it's lore breaking as fuck so you have to drop that before you play, get in the mind set it may take place in middle earth but it's nothing to do with lord of the rings or the lore at all. The new ones looks good though because they expand on the nemesis system more which was the only good thing about the first game, while also it looks like the new one actually has a story and different environments, with actual boss battles maybe.
>>
It's basically fanfic so it doesn't break the lore insanely hard but also doesn't have anything to do with anything that Tolkien wrote
>>
It's ridiculously fun.
>>
I almost got memed into buying it just because it was a "good game", didn't care about the lore
Then I found out that the gameplay is actually the worst part
>>
>>379604252
The easiest combat system i've ever witnessed. Also, final boss is QTE
>>
Where is it £2.99?
>>
>>379604994
Have you played the Bam Ham games? I actually found this harder overall because I kept getting fucked by spear throwers from offscreen
>>
>>379605075
G2A.
>>
>>379605173
No i haven't heard of them. I died several times in first half of the game, and literally 1-2 times after that. It's even easier then Assasin.
>>
>>379604252
I read LotR and The Hobbit in 2001, watched the LotR movies as they were released, I've engaged in some Middle-Earth lore autism on the internet in the past and I love the game. As far as I know I'm in a small minority.
I'm "into Tolkien" in the sense that I do love the world and really liked both the books and the movies, but I wouldn't really get mad if the IP was really mishandled in the future. I don't think Shadow of Mordor did that either. It's plot takes advantage of the setting and major lore characters, but what happens during the game is ultimately inconsequental. Much like LotR: War in the North.
>>
>>379605940
Read the Silmarillion, nerd
>>
File: 1496000627299.jpg (29KB, 450x351px) Image search: [Google]
1496000627299.jpg
29KB, 450x351px
>>379606237
I actually read like 20 pages of it. It was way too much autism for the 15 year old me.
>>
>>379606237
WB can't use Silmarion in the games. Only Chris Tolkien can use it.

Shitty, but true.
>>
>>379605183
Might as well just pirate it then since none of that money goes to the studio
>>
>>379606472
Why would I bother buying it for the sake of giving that huge studio money?
>>
>>379604252
combat and nemesis system is ok, the story is like the worst fanfiction you have ever read, and it's only getting worse with the second one
>>
>>379604252
>>379605940

It fucks with the lore of Celebrimbor, the creator of the Elven Rings, and kind of takes inspiration from things in the Legendarium, but the game is distinctly non-canon anyway. It's fun, but probably got caught up in Tolkien copyright shenanigans.
>>
>>379605940
I've only read the Hobbit, but from the looks of it LOTR lore seems too vast to be just "fucked" that easily.
>>
>>379604252
Gameplay and story are beyond awful
Do not bother
>>
>>379606637
I mean, shadow of mordor really does fuck the lore 8 ways from sunday

you just have to not take it seriously
>>
>>379604252

It's a good game mechanically, and if you enjoy the themes and established facets of LOTR's world you will life it.

It has basically nothing to do with the actual LOTR canon though.

the biggest mistake they made was Caelibrimbor's ghost.
Elves don't have ghosts in the LOTR universe.
>>
This game is really fun. It's basically LoTR fanfiction quality as far as the story goes, but god damn it's a good time
>>
>>379604743
W-what? No...
>>
>>379604403
Came here to literally say this.
>>
Story is bad
Combat is BamHam with magic
Nemesis system is kind of interesting
Can't do much wrong with 3 britbucks
>>
>>379606745
Thats the biggest mistake? I mean, the game plays loose with the canon in general so im not defending it. Im just curious as to why thats the biggest one versus all the other shit it does.

Either way, good game. OP should try it out.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.