[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, now I know this is gonna sound like blatant shitposting,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

File: vitaimage.jpg (112KB, 800x425px) Image search: [Google]
vitaimage.jpg
112KB, 800x425px
Alright, now I know this is gonna sound like blatant shitposting, but I am genuinely curious. I haven't been paying lots of attention, but why did this do so poorly? Did it even do poorly? It looks like a solid handheld. To me at least. Again, I haven't been paying lots of attention.

Was it just competition? Were there actual problems? What was it?

This is gonna sound fucking impossible, but please leave out the shitposting. I'm literally just curious.
>>
>>379589687
No, it' s great but they just didn' t invest enough on it.
>>
>>379589817
What does that mean? Sounds very vague.
>>
Sold like shit outside Japan, especially in North America.

Why? Card prices and its library (anime shit) are the two most-cited reasons. Who knows how accurate that is? Could be Sony's marketing, or the fact that if people are going to buy a handheld, they generally want the one with Pokémon on it.
>>
>>379589687
Not enough games. Plain and simple. I have one, but that's only because I really, really wanted the few exclusives it had. P4 Golden, P4 DaN, Muramasa Rebirth.

But with the PSTV, there's hardly a reason to buy this thing now unless you love the portability.
>>
>>379589687
Fake marketing got them into legal trouble, results were no marketing at all outside of Japan
Costly proprietary memory cards
SoA actively sabotaged the thing from day one for god knows what reason
Not enough casual games or big names to keep normalfags interested
No MH to keep MHfags interested
No first party games since 2014 due to Sony wanting to push the PS4, which did pay off but hurt Vita sales outside of Japan

It's a great console with an incredible library but all of the above kinda made it a zombie console.
If you want to play games on the go and know japanese it's a gift from the heavens, but to anyone who wants normalfag games it's worthless, for good reasons.
>>
>>379589687
It launched with a retail price of 300 dollars, had it's own optimized SD cards that cost upwards of 30-120 dollars to purchase, which is ridiculous for such little storage, and it didn't see many Western titles on the system, because Sony didn't care to try to get titles on it, that and Sony themselves stopped supporting the thing 2 years in. If I were a 3rd party Dev and the console manufacturer didn't even want to make games fir it's own system, I'd get the fuck out.
>>
>>379589687
Expensive memory cards. Barely any exclusives that appealed to a western market as most of it is JRPGs. Sony pretty much abandoned it and left it to die.
It still gets games, but barely anyone knows that at this point. A lot of game stores here don't even sell vita games anymore/you have to ask to see them; they aren't on shelves.
>>
Tied to be a serious handheld. Which is a massive mistake because mostly kids want handhelds and the few adults who buy them only want them for a couple of primary games.
>>
>>379590332
This. They pushed PSP as a multimedia system with all of the UMDs and stuff, while also having games for a more "mature" audience. They tried the same thing, but those people would just play games on phones now.
>>
>>379589687
It did quite well in Japan but lacked the all ages appeal of the 3DS. It had a fuckton of games, just nothing too iconic that wasn't also on PS3/4. Great if you're into Japanese games and don't mind b-grade stuff.

Problems:
>Memory card prices
>Garbage online store (like 50 fucking dollars for a psp games)
>Actually kind of underpowered by 2017 standards (most games go for graphics and have a shit frame rate)
>>
>>379589687
I own one and it's actually a really nice piece of hardware. The memory cards are bullshit though, and I found the game library to be a bit lacking.
>>
>>379590615
>like 50 fucking dollars for a psp games
That's only a few publishers like Fatlus who want to jew you on certain titles, the majority of PSP games hover around 20/30 bucks.
>Actually kind of underpowered by 2017 standards
Well, it is a 2012 console, how is that surprising? Back then it was incredible.
>>
>>379589687
Great launch, poor first-party and AAA support, expensive storage.
>>
>>379590801
Was it that incredible though? Phones around then were already pushing 1080p.

My main point with the 2017 thing is that we probably won't see a successor. With no decent Vita titles in the horizon (correct me if I'm wrong) handhelds will die with the 3DS's 240p or whatever the fuck kind of battery life the switch has.
>>
File: PS_Vita_Memory_Card_MSRP.jpg (86KB, 620x191px) Image search: [Google]
PS_Vita_Memory_Card_MSRP.jpg
86KB, 620x191px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAQnxSz-MFQ

$200 for an iPod Touch and free games
$200 for an iPhone/Android on contract, which adds phone capability
$169 for a 3DS, then another $40 for a game or allows just playing DS games.
$320 for a Wifi Vita, one game, and the smallest memory card. Also have to rebuy any physical games on PSN
$340 for a launch bundle 3G and one game. It came with an 8GB card and a trial of 3g internet. Cannot be used as a phone.
$370 for a 3G vita, smallest memory card, and one game.

AT&T locked Service plans for Vita:
250MB for 1 Day Pass only $5. Limited Time Offer
1GB for 3 months only $25. Limited Time Offer
250MB for $14.99/month
3GB for $30/month (Just about the size of one Vita game)
5GB for $50/month

There was a Wifi bundle on Black Friday for $199 with Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed Liberation but the remaining consoles stayed full price.

The following year, PS4 is announced and a few months later the rest of the stock was marked down to $199 in preparation for a replacement Vita 2000, though AT&T and Sony stores had already been clearing stock of the 3G models for what people thought would be a "4G Vita" but turned out to be AT&T just clearing out stock. Memory cards were also discounted and the 4gb card was discontinued.

The PSTV/Vita TV was introduced for $99 but quickly hit $50 and $20 on discount before being discontinued.

Executives have let the term "Legacy Console" slip since 2015, but they haven't shut off 3rd party development.
>>
>>379590971
And mobile games detracting people from other handhelds.
>>379590993
>phones around then were already pushing 1080p
Not standard at the time, but it came to be more common in following years.
>>379590801
>Back then it was incredible.
It was good, but not incredible.
>>
>>379590993
>Phones around then were already pushing 1080p.
Yeah, for mobileshit with no gameplay at all and terrible control schemes.
Besides, it has many good games, but again, unless you want to play Pokemon or other normalfag shit you won't find much on it even today, if you like niche series and more experimental games while also having access to PSX/PSP/PCE games, all the worthwhile indieshit and some other neat stuff like enhanced NeoGeo ports the Vita is your thing, otherwise steer clear off of it because you're setting yourself up for some buyer's remorse.
>>
>Memory Card Prices
3x that of SD cards the same size. Drives away that whole portability thing when it fills up after you download 2 games on the 8gb packed with it.

>Marketing
2 different versions out the gate and they goofed partnering with AT&T for mobile access to the 3G units.

>Games
Western support dropped after the first year, its library is mostly niche Japanese titles, Minecraft and Terraria.

>Controls/Other
No dual L/R triggers for PS1 classics. No PS2 classic support. Many retailers shipped units, games, and accessories back after the 3DS started to take off.

I own one, love it for all the niche/weeaboo games it has got/still getting, but unless you're in the same boat then it's not worth the investment.
>>
File: 1437395096924.jpg (42KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1437395096924.jpg
42KB, 400x400px
>>379591474
>No dual L/R triggers for PS1 classics
You can set the back touchpad for those, not really a problem.
>No PS2 classic support
>Vita
>Capable of emulating PS2
>>
>>379589687
It had expensive proprietary memory cards unlike 3DS which allowed you to use a microsd that was the hugest mess ever with Sony at the conference.

Imagine paying upwards to 100$ for 32gb of storage while you could have the same for 20$
>>
>>379592009
>Vita
>Capable of emulating PS2
At the time of its conception, it would have been a nice feature for them to pursue, instead we got a beefier PSP with no backwards compatibility.
>>
>>379592009
>back touchpad
kys
>>
>>379590615
No it did not. Stop spreading this meme.
It's doing okay at best, and switch will probably outsell it on it's first year
>>
File: 2.jpg (27KB, 250x319px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
27KB, 250x319px
This was the nail in the coffin for the Vita in the eyes of the general public.
Not even Killzone: Mercenary could save the Vita after this.
>>
>>379589687
Shit marketing and the release and success of the ps4 a year later killed off any further support.

>>379592009
>>379592410
Just bind them to the right stick. A lot of games don't even use them.
>>
>>379592648
How bad was it? For the record, I actually kinda liked the Resistance Vita game.
>>
>>379592323
>At the time of its conception, it would have been a nice feature for them to pursue
Sure, if you were willing to pay the price for it.
Besides, PS2 games don't sell outside of the usual few games which have been remastered and ported to almost all consoles and PC.
>>379592478
>It's doing okay at best
It's literally the third biggest console on the Japanese market, the one with the highest attachment rate too.
>switch will probably outsell it on it's first year
Good luck selling over five million Switches in a year, especially with Nintendo's artificial scarcity.
>>
>>379592703
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_notable_for_negative_reception#Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops:_Declassified_.282012.29
>>
>>379592703
Felt like a bargain bin knockoff not an actual COD game, they didn't even include a proper campaign with it like they did with the PSP one.
>>
>>379592758
>Good luck selling over five million Switches in a year
They already sold 2.74 million by the end of march.
>>
Vita is awesome if you like weeb games and indies on the go.

The amount of people like that is miniscule in the industry.

Fifa,CoD and shooter of the month carry whole business.
>>
>>379592824
That was the Holiday 2012 (first western year for Vita) pack in game as well. What a great way to get more people to buy the system.
>>
>>379592869
Yeah, worldwide, the Vita has around 19 millions units worldwide by now.
>>
>>379593134
Sony stopped reporting Vita sales in 2014. All the numbers are made up beyond then.
>>
>>379593134
That's after 6 years, m8.
Nintendo anticipate selling a total of 10 million switches within the 2017 fiscal year alone
>>
>>379593420
>Nintendo anticipate selling a total of 10 million switches within the 2017 fiscal year alone
Sure, what does that have to do with the original point of the discussion though? Vita is still the third most successful platform in Japan at the moment, although the PS4 will surpass it soon.
We'll also see whether they will indeed reach that number anyway, predictions are good and all but they're still predictions, Sony did the same with the Vita and the PS3 by the way and look how that turned out.
>>
>>379593134
The Vita hit 5 million in Japan last year per Media Create, a company that actually tracks sales data instead of making up numbers like VGChartz does.

There is no way that translates into 19 million worldwide.
>>
File: 09-06-2017.png (71KB, 747x468px) Image search: [Google]
09-06-2017.png
71KB, 747x468px
>>379589687
>Was it just competition?
Imagine going up against a company that has had a monopoly on the market since the 80s and singlehandedly killed off all competition. The PSP did well the Sony figured the Vita was going to do fine. Nintendo has so many system sellers and iconic franchises it's fucking ridiculous, but Nintendo didn't stop there. They cut the price for the 3DS by almost a third. Vita was dead on arrival and there was nothing Sony could have done about it.
>>
>>379589687
It launched when smartphones were finally gaining popularity. Western devs were busy pumping out the next Angry Birds, Flappy bird, Candy Crush, or whatever, hoping to hit the jackpot and make it big.

It was also the year PC Master Race meme took off. Bigger devs were busy pumping the next shooter for PC that can beat Call of Duty, or making the next WoW killer.

Sony also made the "apps" as one of the selling point of Vita, but Smartphones do it better and cheaper, and has a lot more to offer. Eventually many of Vita's apps were killed.

The memory card prices were (somewhat) in line with micro SD prices when they launched it, but as smartphones gain popularity, micro SD cards price falls faster, and Sony didn't/couldn't cut the memory card price fast enough.

In the end, Vita became a dedicated gaming handheld after the situation has settled down. That was around the time PS4 launched. Sony focused all of their resources on making the PS4 successful. By this time, the Vita was finally starting to get western indie devs, and smaller Japanese devs to make games for Vita.

Indie games are literally almost free from humble indie bundles on PC, many are also available on tablets / smartphone for cheaper price. Why bother with Vita.

It was also during the height of SJWs attacking whatever they don't like in vidya, just before GamerGate. Smaller Japanese devs pumps out "Weebshits" that will definitely trigger many of them.
>>
>>379592648
handheld ports of mainline call of duty games would've been better received than this
>>
>>379589687
It was a marketing failure, plain and simple. The ads were more about the remote play feature (which barely fucking worked on PS3) than the games it had. Sony barely moved an inch to push it in the west compared to their push in Japan.
>>
File: vita.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
vita.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>379596196
I mean just look at this, this sort of ad focusing on games that were native to the system were never done in the west. It was always that "never stop playing" shit with sports games.
>>
>>379589886
Not the original guy, but what I think he means is that it had some pretty good exclusives like Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden, but it didn't appeal to the average person.
I have a vita myself, but only because I got it for free and nowadays it's pretty much a portable indie game console for me.
>>
>>379589687
sony handheld strategy was flawed; you cant release cheaper revision after revision of your platform and then suddenly expect to jump back up to full premium price when you decide to reboot it a million years later

unlike the 3ds which at least tricked people into thinking 3d was a sizable upgrade, the vita is more or less just a screen upgrade for minimal gain. vn's and indie titles aren't really a compelling use of more pixels; despite complaints about
>240p in 2017
its been proven to be unimportant
>>
>>379589687
no monster hunter
no other big sellers
>>
>>379589687
No one wants "the console experience" on a handheld when they already have the console experience on a console.
>>
>>379597685
>the vita is more or less just a screen upgrade for minimal gain.
Not really, there is a notable upgrade from psp graphics to vita graphics, mostly in terms of character models. Environmental improvements were minimal.
>>
>>379598054
Another thing I'd like to add, optimization for the vita was a pain in the ass for most devs because there was little documentation available for the system compared to the PSP which had a shit ton of documentation, this led to fps being meh in most games which led to devs sacrificing graphical fidelity for the sake of improving fps the easy way. So in the end you're still stuck with a lot of games that don't take advantage of the hardware.
>>
>>379589687
i ended up stealing a memory card cause it was way too expensive. That's a huge reason why. i still play it from time to time tho, i dont regret getting it
>>
>>379599308
Nigger.
>>
>>379596312
>tfw airship q is ded
>>
>>379589687
It's a strong system that has great potential, but it barely got any support outside of Japan. It's like after the PSP they just threw it out there and expected it to do well. The memory cards being expensive to combat piracy doesn't help.
>>
>>379591123
Not that I would recommend it but you can get a 2000 vita with the 1gb internal and if you only played physical, it would be no different from a 3ds + physical game.
>>
>>379592691
I bind them to the front touch screen 'cause fuck accidentally pressing it all the time.
>>
People who like games stopped liking games that didn't have extreme HD 4K 1000fps graphics, and that meant they stopped liking handhelds

Regular people could play games on their phones

Everyone else got a 3DS, and maybe a Vita later (a small number of people)
>>
It was garbage with a niche library so it sold like a niche platform. It will be the best way to play terraria when everything is said and done however.
>>
It sold more than the Wii U and had one of the largest console libraries ever, but a lawsuit crippled the Vita in the west while the memory cards buried the thing.
I love my Vita! and own ~120 Vita titles, but the lack of advertisement killed sales outside of Japan while those who DID know about it rarely could overlook the obscene proprietary memory cards.
>>
West devs don make handheld games and sony first party games that sell are at most 3. Until sony convince westerns to make handheld games their mobiles will fail because they are so fucking slow with their first party and japs only ised to port ps3 n ps4 games.
>>
>>379590801
>PSP games hover around 20/30 bucks
Wow that's still too damn much.
>>
>>379605275
>Handheld selling more than home console
Wow, what a shocker...
>>
>>379589687
Sony didn't support it with games at all. Third parties bailed quickly. Memory cards very expensive.
>>
File: 1496888343059.jpg (127KB, 619x723px) Image search: [Google]
1496888343059.jpg
127KB, 619x723px
How easy is it to hack this thing, I am thinking of buying it because I got sime throwaway cash lying around and feel like playing some persona and some other psx psp games.
>>
>>379605697
>Third parties bailed quickly.
The system is literally a third party platform through and through.
>>
>>379606035

Very easy so long as you get it on the right firmware

If you buy new, and don't buy a Japanese Vita, guaranteed good firmware
>>
>>379606093
I am thinking of just buying a second hand one at my local cex.
It must be 3.60 or below right?
>>
>>379606370

Dunno. You get prompted to update when you format so it might be up to date. Try it out before you buy it if you can.
>>
>>379606558
Cool I'll check it out.
>>
>>379604462
It's a lot harder to play just physical games now, especially if you're in the US
>>
>>379592648
I got this with my Vita because it was black ops so i thought it would come with a portable zombies mode but instead i got a shitty version of MW3's survival mode
>>
>>379589687
Oh please we've had this same thread almost every day.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.