[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does your ideal MMO look like /v/? mine: >map: totally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

File: 1461659725684.jpg (20KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1461659725684.jpg
20KB, 500x333px
What does your ideal MMO look like /v/?

mine:
>map: totally open with only instanced dungeons that can be freely entered and exited
>combat: ds2-like for melee, fps for caster, moba-like for healers
>content: standard pve raids for gearing, pvp raids for fun and to keep people coming back. no queuing for anything, world travel all the way.
>leveling: months to hit max level. level cap never increases, just play different classes.
>questing: no quests markers, limited map, limited quest notes you actually have to read, quest notes require you to pay attention to the world, have to rely on others to solve a lot of quests.
>WoW shit: only the good stuff.
>>
Shadowbane
>>
>>379584154
>melee and dps casters get absolutely buttfucked when rushed by mobs
>healers become OP as shit because they can see everything before it comes, or they just die because mob aggro will be spread due to sheer numbers and the tank's inability to see everything because the game is balanced for eagle eye POV
>healers will spot literally everyone in PvP so their barafag tanks can carry all game

Nice vidya.
>>
>>379585195
Not OP but it seems a interesting way to emphasize the "support" role of the healers.

As for me, i'd settle with the Robot MMO some anon posted (and then it was screencapped) a looooooooong time ago.
>>
What would you do with gear? How will you continue to make new gear? What about new dungeons and raids (expansions)? How will you continue to keep players interested?
>>
My ideal MMO is Battlefield but more the core mechanics are arcadey and simplified with elaborate huge maps that are more "epic" and complicated. The game schedules around a hundred rounds per day. They overlap, one round lasts ~70 minutes. It is reminiscent of an action movie the way those 60-80 minute matches unfold and are paced.

There are no stats or leveling up. There are very tasteful cosmetic changes customers can buy akin to first wave TF2 cosmetics before they allowed crap like paint and multiple items.
Throw in a little boot-camp like lobby for people to hang around in while waiting for rounds to start.
>>
>>379584154
i thought that pic contained ass, but instead it was trapped cat or something
>>
>>379585362
I didn't say it wasn't interesting, I said it was a shit idea.
>>
>>379584154
>expecting an actual thigh-and-ass shot where the obscure object in the center is the druid face
>it's a bait and switch

disappointed but not bad
>>
Children of a Dead Earth meets Elite:Dangerous MMO.

Crazy amount of customization and optimization, with some strictly alien archeo-sci-fi tech to make things interesting (jump gates, etc)
A good part of the game is creating the infrastructure to extract and refine the required materials to make some of the more complex stuff (silica aerogel and aramid fiber don't exactly grow on space trees), the base(s) can either be stationary (a great advantage is that you can use the entire planet/asteroid as your heastink) or mobile (less logistic hassle when shipping stuff but building such a thing is very complex and often expensive)
Fairly realistic sensor stuff, you don't just eyeball a firing solution, and if it's too far or the signal too weak to get a proper reading you won't exactly be able to hit perfectly.
Alien tech is very rare and, while giving great advantages (cloaking, hyper efficient cooling, energy shields, etc) always comes with a catch, plus it might be a bit temperamental and may require very specific conditions to be used, after all it's ancient alien tech we barely understand what it does.
>>
>>379584154
My ideal mmo would be an mmo/fighter hybrid where all players freely travel the open world and can engage in pvp combat whenever. The map would be spread out with multiple towns and wildlands in between. Dying in the wildlands makes you lose all your armor and weapons. Towns are safe havens where you can shop for starter gear to hold you over until you slay players for their loot. Towns also have dojos for consequence free fighting with other players and for player hosted tournaments. Best loot is found as random drop events that are visible from a good distance, forcing player conflict. Fighting should be like tekken or soul caliber and be uninterruptable but still watchable from outside players. Winning a fight will grant you 1 minute invuberability, spawns for drops are typically at least 2 minutes away from the nearest town. Obviously there are holes in this idea but I'd pay to pay a game like it
>>
>>379586164
>create stuff to extract stuff to create complex stuff
Not saying it's a bad thing, but what else us there to do for fun around here?
>>
>>379585972
God, I haven't seen druids in such a long time now
>>
at this point i'd settle for any decent sci-fi/cyberpunk themed mmo
>>
>>379585728
(You)
>>
>>379586889
Similar to EVE in a way.
I'm garbage at stories so i don't know what the end goal would be, if there is one at all other than being the biggest meanest motherfucker in the entire galaxy (and even then is hard being at the top because the rocket equation is a bitch)
>>
File: 1490684317461.gif (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490684317461.gif
48KB, 600x600px
>no handholding aside of mandatory "how to move, how to attack, how to use items and skills"
>no guaranteed levelcap that everybody earns by doing perfectly soloable content
>top content doesn't need you to be grinded all out, it's enough to get to softcap and have a valuable gimmick up your sleeve
>you are what you use: no classes, your skillset depends on what you currently wield, different types of weapons have different set of skills and before you venture out into wilderness you create your loadout of skills available to you
>powerlevel isn't absolute, loadout and gear is where it's at, a level 30 holy magic user with Resurrection spell can be useful in a party of 50 level characters
>no instances, whole world is one for each other
>the only exception are bossfights, those exist in bossrooms that lock themselves out once a certain amount of players is inside
>that is to create a balanced and meaningful PvE encounters that cannot be zerg rushed

1/2
>>
File: 1486443260851.gif (685KB, 275x207px) Image search: [Google]
1486443260851.gif
685KB, 275x207px
>overworld is pretty peaceful PvP-wise but some zones have free-PvP in them
>when you die your character reverts back to the state he was in before stepping out of city/town/other safe-zone; one has to think not only of how he means to hunt and train in the wilderness but also on how to safely get back; loot earned is unusable until it is brought back to safe zone and "cleansed" (some exceptions may be made like usable healing items), if character dies it drops and remains on ground for others to take (looter monsters are prone to do this too)
>fast travel options are very limited, only a couple of character archetypes have means to instantly teleport back to safe-zone and as such are a really strong asset for parties to include; some also create temporary safe zones to "cleanse" loot and "backup" character progress
>endgame content among others has maps that vaguely show a place in the world; when the map possessing character arrives at the place he discovers a procedurally generated one-shot zone that anyone can enter; once the boss of the zone dies the entrance collapses; monsters that inhabit the zone begin spawning in vicinity of the entrance; the longer the zone entrance remains in the world the greater the spawn area becomes; that is to alert players of such a zone being nearby; said secret map zones are PvP enabled

2/2
>>
File: 1404944609877.png (276KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1404944609877.png
276KB, 1280x720px
>>379584154
TERA with balanced classes, harder and more varied content, a bit less P2W and an optimized engine. Dream game right there.
Sad thing is except for the optimization we could all have this but the Koreans as well as the 2 companies bringing it to the west are retarded.
>>
Dang, I'd play any of these. Why are all the MMOs on the market now such hot irredeemable dogshit?
>>
>>379587805
>>379587921
Make it actually interesting to wander around the world and explore and the grinding to be fast and addictive and I know I'd play this shit a lot.
>>
>>379588271
Because copying WOW sells
>>
>>379584154
>uses vr headsets
Its literally the next step to mmorpg

too bad shit is too expensive
>>
>>379587018
((You))
>>
>>379588623
(((You)))
>>
>>379588513
But it doesn't though
As seen from the dozens of failed "WoW but better" mmos
>>
>>379589190
Yeah but man.
WoW killer
>>
>>379584154
The most important thing is not having a open world pvp. There is a reason if that games doesn't grow. Then, gear matter only for role and playstyle, but not for "OPness". Basically different sets that can get upgraded, not "new pieces" and every set need to be balanced. Maybe upgrades can bring new different branches of "power up", so every playstyle can be more "unique". Combat Dark Souls like, and even if people have different roles, no a "real class system". Lot of PVE content(raid and dungeon), like FF14. Lot of puzzles like Secret World and lot of open world bosses that reward applies to all server. For PVP, again, not openly. Only Arena based. You can win cosmetics and titles over that, cause you know, people who play PVP on a MMORPG instead an actual skill based game do that only because of their ego. The questing would be similar to SWTOR. The difference is that after you end the main storyline, for the new content you can have 6 different paths depending on the "karma" you have based on the choice of the story of the "first chapter". The combat need to be DS-like, very skill based instead of gear. Want to see a level 40 player be able to beat a level 70 if actually is good enough to dodge or parry\riposte or punish his mistakes. For that, leveling should be super grindy like BDO. For shop content, only cosmetics and exp boosts.
And in the end, good storytelling and good atmosphere like Secret World.
>>
Hellmoo
>>
I can think of a lot of stuff but I'd an MMO that's more about the journey than the destination. It feels like every MMO tries so hard to stick all their 'good' content at the level cap. I don't get it, why would I want to play through dozens of hours of filler content to get to the good content?

That's one thing runescape got right, I think most players wanted to reach the level cap but it's not like that was their primary goal, the devs gave the players several other meaningful goals with tangible rewards along the way.

Also their quests were pretty good even if you can boil them down to being collect x items and go to x place etc, it never felt like the quests were just meant to lead you by the nose from quest hub to quest hub like in modern MMOs and the rewards were often a lot better than exp, gear (that you'll replace in a few quests or sooner if you get a lucky drop) and money.

They need to get that stuff right first because every time I play a new MMO and I look at my quest log full of generic quests that only serve to ferry me through the world I just get bored and quit before I hit the cap.

One more thing, quit making bosses with these obtuse mechanics that you couldn't possibly know the first time you fight them. I'm so tired of doing dungeons and people ask 'have you done this boss before' and then they give a whole walkthrough because if you don't know what's coming you'll wipe the group. Leave those mechanics for raid bosses or world bosses. I'm not saying bosses need to be easy but devs need to discourage the need for people to look at a guide for everything, even runescape fell into this trap because if you die to a boss you lose all your gear and no one wants that.
>>
>Horizontal, social based progression (unlike XIV or WoW).
>Development would be about creating shit to get players involved (custom chat channels, guild bullshit, dangerous PvE open world group content).
>Would cater to dress up fags from the start, but without the weebshit.
>No power creep bullshit. All endgame equipment is balanced in perpetuity. You'd want the new shit 'cause it looks good and is a status symbol. Elements are still a thing. Hardcore players would want a weapon for each enemy weakness.
>Due to every raid being equally challenging, no content would become invalid.
>n00bs that want to participate but suck would pick a weapon and armor set and go for it. Even if it takes months, they'll end up with gear good enough for all endgame content.
>>
>>379589504
>I can think of a lot of stuff but I'd an MMO that's more about the journey than the destination. It feels like every MMO tries so hard to stick all their 'good' content at the level cap. I don't get it, why would I want to play through dozens of hours of filler content to get to the good content?
Exactly the cancer that killed the genre.
>>
>>379589553
>Some raids would be extremely difficult, but there'd be no power creep bullshit. You'd get very similar endgame gear, but it'd be a status symbol. I'm also good with art design, so I'd make shit people'd drool over.
>PvP would be a focus 'cause there is a hardcore community out there.
>No microtransactions.
>One monthly fee. $19.99 or the equivalent in your country. The extra cost would be to keep kids away and make up for the base game being only $39.99. Expansions would be small but impactful at $19.99 per.
>>
Read my shit you retard faggots:

>>379589553
>>379589840

Thx.
>>
>>379584154
Sounds like absolute shit
>>
>>379589027
((((You))))
>>
>>379589553
>>379589897
>>379589840
>Development would be about creating shit to get players involved (custom chat channels, guild bullshit, dangerous PvE open world group content).
Too weak to be engaging for players nowadays.
>No power creep bullshit. All endgame equipment is balanced in perpetuity.
Good idea. Approved.
>You'd want the new shit 'cause it looks good and is a status symbol.
Shit idea. Functionality > Looks. Make new equipment to enable alternative specs/roles/playstyles but on par with existing ones.
>Elements are still a thing. Hardcore players would want a weapon for each enemy weakness.
Good idea. Approved.
Content becomes invalid not because of it being no longer challenging but because its rewards serve no more purpose in the current meta.
>You'd get very similar endgame gear, but it'd be a status symbol.
Might be a good idea, the status symbol that is. But people wouldn't raid those once they're done with them once.
>One monthly fee. $19.99 or the equivalent in your country.
Good idea, but you'd have to churn out something new every month or so to keep up the interest pace. Look at Path of Exile, they add new bosses and content every 3-4 months and they are a free to play game without microtransactions that affect gameplay. Think you're up for competition?

Good enough for you?

Now rate mine
>>379587805
>>379587921
>>
like runescape, but without a wiki and jewish publishers
and more party focused
>>
>>379584154
wow that pic blew my mind.
>the pussy
>>
>>379584154

Thigh gaps are my kryptonite.
>>
>>379590714
>without a wiki
Tough luck, anon. Even more impossible that non-jewish publishers.
The only semi-cure is to be the pioneer of game's knowledge.
>>
>the world
Huge hand-crafted open worlds with varied and unique zones. The only thing WoW still does right. Take the concept of The Veldt from Final Fantasy 6. A massive procedurally-generated landscape meant to be explored by the most experienced players. It exists beyond the hand-crafted portions of the world. The further out you go, the tougher monsters there will be. Once a particular area has been fully explored and mapped it opens up to colonization where players can build houses, shops, and even cities and castles. Build walls, automated weapons, and tame guard animals to defend against enemy players and enemy NPCs.

>the combat
Souls-like combat wouldn't be feasible for a huge MMORPG but it would be nice. Holy trinity system (DPS, heals, tank) with highly customizable character builds. Combine any skills you like to create a unique class (similar to ArcheAge). Your status as a tank, healer, or DPS is determined by which skills you pick and equipment you have.

>the economy
Lots of collecting, gathering, and crafting autism. I love that shit. Make entire non-combat character classes for players who just want to get lost in the autism of crafting and being a trader. No server-wide auction houses, but player run shops. Players can set up market stalls in towns, or build their own store themselves and hire automated workers. Players can build warehouses and rent out secure storage space to players for a fee. Player can go as far as to build their own public transit lines out in "The Veldt" (see above).
>>
>>379591149
>Take the concept of The Veldt from Final Fantasy 6. A massive procedurally-generated landscape meant to be explored by the most experienced players. It exists beyond the hand-crafted portions of the world. The further out you go, the tougher monsters there will be. Once a particular area has been fully explored and mapped it opens up to colonization where players can build houses, shops, and even cities and castles. Build walls, automated weapons, and tame guard animals to defend against enemy players and enemy NPCs.
YES! This shit's my jam.
>>
An MMO with limitless leveling. The people who choose to spend the most time grinding are rewarded by being stronger than everyone else directly proportionate to the amount of time they spent playing the game.

>b-but anon, that sounds like a terrible idea! It would put off new players trying to get into the game
Git gud faggots. The game isn't meant for casuals who need to have their hands held and needs to be protected from overpowered jerks trying to hurt their fee fees as a form of amusement.

>b-but what's stopping super strong players from ruining the game from everyone else?
Nothing. If they want to ruin other people's fun, then more power to them. But to get that strong, they have to be the most powerful and put the most time in the game. The only thing stopping people from being total dicks is other people who get strong enough to put them back in their place. Don't want to get bullied? Then dump a couple hundred hours into the game and git gud.

>b-but an imbalanced game like that is doomed to fail! nobody want to spend their free time getting bullied by stronger players! nobody is going to play this game because it's too hard!
There are plenty of game with a high difficulty curve. Dark Soul type games are massively popular. Rougelikes have their following. So why not an MMO with a massive difficulty curve, except instead of the difficulty coming from AI or game mechanics, it's coming from other overpowered players.
>>
>>379592423
Think of each overpowered player as basically being a raid boss. The average player would have no chance one on one against them, but with enough people combining their efforts against them, they might actually lose. What if a guild of super strong players decide to get together for the sole purpose of shitting on everyone else? Well here's the fun part, the game will be designed in a way that promotes rivalry, politics and alliances between players. It becomes a social experiment to see what people do with their powers. An overpowered guild pops up. Do you try to get power enough to join them? Or do you join a rival guild in their quest to overthrow the big dogs? A lot of people get bored with MMOs due to the lack of content. But what if the social politics becomes the content itself? The rise and fall of powerful guilds/players. Heated rivalries between two top guildmasters. This is the type of stuff /v/ green text stories are made of. And if someone does manage to be such a shitty person that they manage to destroy an entire server? Fuck, make a new server where everyone can start fresh.
>>
>world
two factions, multiple races each
large open world with instanced dungeons
ground mounts only, get dismounted and snared instantly when attacked by player
safe travel only between towns and outposts, similar to wow flight masters

>content
large amount of 5-man dungeons for all level ranges, plus a lot of extra 5-man dungeons at max level
most dungeons require a key to open the entrance, gained from some prerequisite quest chain in the world that ties the dungeon into the surrounding world in terms of setting and lore
advanced dungeons require completion of some previous dungeon to enter
raids are 10 man only, with big attunement process that requires players to properly progress through the regular content. no tedious reputation grinds though.
once you complete an attunement on one character, you can spend a significant sum of gold on an item that you can trade to another of your own characters to instantly unlock the attunement there.

>equipment
baseline max level equipment is attainable via five man dungeon runs and crafting using materials from five man dungeons.
higher tier equipment from raids increases only increases your power level by a very small amount. the main upgrade you get from higher tier gear is big increases in chaos resistance, which protects against chaos damage.
chaos damage is only encountered in raids. higher tier raids will destroy players who do not have sufficient chaos resistance.
this mechanic keeps the gear progression relevant to raiding, but avoids situations where raid geared characters massively outperform baseline geared characters in all the non raid content.
raid gear still has a higher power level than baseline gear, but the spread is much smaller.
instead of a high tier raider dealing triple the amount of damage of a non raider, he will only deal around ~30% more damage at most. same for healing output, mana sustain, and damage mitigation.
>>
>>379592423
So basically a game that privilege obese virgin NEET that play 20 hours per day over normal and\or skillfull player? WOW, SUCH AMAZING GAME!
>>
>>379592423
garbage idea
people would bot the shit out of that game
>>
File: OBJECTIVE FAILED.gif (908KB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
OBJECTIVE FAILED.gif
908KB, 180x200px
Want a spicy idea?

Make an MMO that is intentionally unfair, but not exactly in the sense >>379592423 >>379592894 describes.

Instead, when you create a new character you are given a chance to play as a more privileged character, gameplay-wise. You don't have to grind or pay for it, it just happens. Not only that, but if you're privileged, you also spawn in a slightly better starting area.

That's it, the rest can be pretty basic shit, travel around, kill dragons, craft items, PvP and what-have-you.
>>
>>379593349
Sounds like you just miss TBC, friend.
>>
I'd like to see an MMO with an entire planet to explore with the goal of teraforming the whole world eventually.
Like the base game would just be one gated mass of land on one continent and then people would push out from there. Anyone could run out into the wilderness and stake a claim to build a house or farm or whatever, but it would be instanced until that land got included in the base game, then it would be part of the game world proper. Guilds would unite to build cities and petition to have them included in the game and every one would be persistent in the game world after being accepted.
Use procedural generation for the outlands until it gets hammered into the base game.
>>
>>379593382
>wanting everyone to be treated equally regardless of how much time and effort they put into something
That's called communism you cuck. Go back to your Antifa rallies. The patriarchy isn't going to smash itself.
>>
>>379589840
>>379589553
Overall, it's okay.

>Development would be about creating shit to get players involved
risky
>You'd get very similar endgame gear, but it'd be a status symbol.
This sounds good on paper, but I think you (and other people) think with current WoW in your mind. I mean, WoW with its solidified endgame.
If you focus too much on endgame without a playerbase to back it up, too many endgame rewards can have a detrimental effect

>All endgame equipment is balanced in perpetuity.
>Some raids would be extremely difficult, but there'd be no power creep bullshit.
You better get large funds and a large team for this.

>The extra cost would be to keep kids away and make up for the base game being only $39.99.
More like, all kids will get it with mom's credit card, while young adults who are not turboautists will not afford it. I know you're gonna shit on me for this, but fuck you, we've been in a global crisis since 2008, I'm not gonna spend 20 bucks a month for an MMO, even if it is my dream one.
>>
An MMO action game with muh crayzee DMC style combat. It's not an MMORPG. It's literally a DMC game, but you can play together with hundreds of people online.
>>
>>379594985
Something like this would happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylSEBh8dj4
>>
Make it too as you start as a profession ie carpenter/logger, armorer/miner etc. then you have to barter. Say want a house? Then trade for a weapon etc. community made
>>
>>379596419
I'm in fucking tears
>>
>>379584154
Like Guild Wars
>>
Right now, it's Eve. 15+ years development and it thoroughly entertaining me. Played it way back and left it for years only to return in the last 6 months.
>>
>>379584154
Everquest, but with good graphics.
>>
>>379595608
Ehm...fact number 1) i said "over skillfull player". Skill>time. As i said about "my game", i prefer a game when a level 40 with skill can win a level 80 totally braindead. 2) I'm Italian. And i know that fascism privilege good workers not NEET. As i said, over normal people. Normal people have a job pay money, NEET are jobless, doesn't pay anything. So... how exactly your game gonna work if people don't pay anything to play it? Your idea is stupid, accept it. Also, as someone after me said, people would bot the shit out of that game.
>>
>>379589504
Well, The Secret Worls is actually mainly about the puzzle quests and the stories told in the quests than rushing to endgame. It's also relaunching as F2P with improved combat on the 26th of June.
>>
>>379599285
>mainly about the puzzle quests
Don't dupe the poor Anon. Investigations are great but they aren't THAT plentiful.
The writing is top though. Hopefully Legends wont sink in a few months so we actually get continuation to Tokyo.
>>
>>379599130
>Skill>time
Would you rather cater to an extremely skilled player who plays your game for a week and then gets bored with it and never picks it up again or an unskilled player who spends 10 years of his life playing your game?

>So... how exactly your game gonna work if people don't pay anything to play it?
Who says there won't be a monthly subscription to play it?
>>
>>379584154
A game that has no classes but littered with tons of skills from combat to construction to tracking
90% of the game's content is player made (from shoes to castles)
Player interaction is a huge advantage over going solo
I can get to make a tent and light a campfire in the middle of the woods
>>
File: you.jpg (2KB, 37x39px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
2KB, 37x39px
>>379587018
>>379588623
>>379589027
>>379590270
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.