[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of balancing method do you prefer in games? Make everything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

What kind of balancing method do you prefer in games?
Make everything moderately balanced and reasonable?
Or make everything absurdly broken so that nothing is?

Pic related.
>>
Balanced games can become boring and predictable. You always need that broken item to create interesting gameplay
>>
>>379583950
>Or make everything absurdly broken so that nothing is?

this is fun as fuck think MVC2

DON'T FUCKING NERF DEVS

just buff the mediocre shit until it reaches the same levels as the broken shit then everyone wins the mains don't have to relearn or learn something else and the people that struggled with the unbalanced shit now don't have to.
>>
>>379583950
"balancing" usually results in making many builds/heroes/characters/champions absolutely useless besides certain once in a blue moon situations.

I'd rather have everything being broken as shit.
>>
Mask of child is the most useful one, but it is also the ugliest. It's not fair.
>>
>>379583950
Broken is more fun. Look at Pillars of Eternity.
>>
>>379584618
>balance becomes boring after time
>broken stuff will always be fun
Your logic is faulty.
The broken stuff is only fun once or twice and will become boring over time.
Balanced games have less suprises but in the long run allow for more varied and enjoyable gameplay.
>>
File: 1494792226722.jpg (51KB, 359x305px) Image search: [Google]
1494792226722.jpg
51KB, 359x305px
>>379585317
>ugliest
Wrong.
>>
I like it when every character is balanced at the same level for the most part but then you have certain characters that have abilities or play styles that make the character very difficult to play but if you master them they are very good kind of Lake Widowmaker in Heroes of the Storm
>>
The amount of skill required to do something should be directly proportional to its impact on the game.

Put in some low-skill methods for the average player to just get by with and put in some high-skill methods for players that really want to master the game and show off.
>>
>>379585215
>just buff the mediocre shit until it reaches the same levels as the broken shit
I know, right? Everyone having a touch of death combo, where you get hit once, and then you're dead, is so much fun.

I do generally prefer "Buff over Nerf", but some shit just flat-out needs to be nerfed, because it's unfun garbage.
>>
>>379585549
Than dont get hit retard. Or play a more casual game like street fighter 5.
>>
>>379585506
This. Guilty Gear comes to mind instantly... The characters that are powerful (usually) require insane execution and experience to back this shit up. That way even if it's slightly OP, in every day play you won't need to deal with it because 2hard4u, and you'll shit on a literal army of scrubs and tier dickriders trying to emulate the handful of select players that can make that shit work.
>>
File: 1450223687562.jpg (86KB, 500x644px) Image search: [Google]
1450223687562.jpg
86KB, 500x644px
>>379583950
Make everything broken, that was the Icefrog method back when I played dota 2.
>>
>>379583950
Make everything op as fuck, if there isn't a good counter, use it.
Nerfing the only fun thing in the game because plebs can't counter ruins shit
>>
>>379583950
but the mask of the child is far and away the best pinwheel mask. free stamina recovery without having to sacrifice your shield for a 95% reduction piece of wet toilet paper.
>>
>>379583950
I'd say that it depends on the design of the game.

In UMvC3, the best part of the game was that everyone was completely broken. Of course there are characters (Vergil, Doom, Zero, Morrigan, Spencer, etc...) FAR better than the others, but the general design was good. It's typically a game, where I would love to see every characters buff to the point of most top tiers (with some small nerf for example, to that fucking Vergil belt, the Doom divekick or some other ultra broken shit).

In Smash 4, the fact that a lot of characters are balanced is what makes the game interesting. Then again, of course some top tiers with almost no weaknesses (Rosa, Cloud, Diddy, Sheik...) are completely unfun to play against and boring to watch in tournaments. But globaly, the general design of the game is also good. Here it's a game, where I would rather see these tops getting nerfed (with small buffs to the puff and fatties)
>>
>>379586461
>he doesn't juice up with mask, grass crest, cloranthy and green blossom for sanic stamina

lmao
>>
File: stamina.jpg (310KB, 822x816px) Image search: [Google]
stamina.jpg
310KB, 822x816px
>>379587138
>>
File: Besiege.jpg (69KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
Besiege.jpg
69KB, 900x720px
>>379583950
>Or make everything absurdly broken so that nothing is?
I don't like this new meme. I can tell where it came from, and I'm going to tell everyone who thinks it's a good idea why they're wrong.

"Absurdly broken so that nothing is" usually means low-skill scissors-paper-rock counters that completely rape each other and get raped by each other.

For example, in a "game where everything is so absurdly broken that nothing is balanced", you might have a tank who's so tanky that the light class can never ever kill him, a light class who's so speedy that the damage class can never ever hit him, and a damage class who does so much damage that the tank class can never ever tank him.

There's very little actual gameplay involved in that loop. It's just glorified scissors-paper-rock. Many MOBAs boil down to this formula.

Does it make for a giggle? Yes. Does it make for a good video game? No.

Game balance exists for a reason: to ensure the player has viable choices and counterplay. The sort of person who actually complains about game balance like it's an inherently bad thing is a moron-- you, yes you faggot, the one who complains about balance reading this. Stop complaining about poorly done game balance and generalizing it to the concept of all game balance.

When done right, balance is only a good thing. It allows the player to make choices instead of picking the one OP strategy. And choices are what separate the video game from the walking simulator.
>>379585215
>just buff the mediocre shit until it reaches the same levels as the broken shit then everyone wins
see everything written above.
Not only is it more effort to buff EVERYTHING in the game to the level of the broken shit, but everyone being able to oneshot each other takes the counterplay right out of the game.
>>379584618
See above. Unbalanced games become unpredictable because only one strategy sees consistent use.
>>379585269
Stop confusing bad balance with the concept of balance in general.
>>
>>379587795
>See above. Unbalanced games become unpredictable because only one strategy sees consistent use.
meant to say predictable*
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.