[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come a game, made for children ( according to /v/), ?has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (246KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246KB, 1200x630px
How come a game, made for children ( according to /v/), ?has less handholding than any other open world game in recent memory?
>>
Ssh, we don't talk about that
>>
>>379581585
But its true right? Witcher 3 is literally "autopilot"-the game
>>
>>379581551
Because there is no challenge to hold your hand through.
>>
>>379581993
lynels are pretty tough
>>
>>379581551
Because adults have responsibilities and few people want to do something tedious when they come home from work.
BotW has a shrine sensor from the second tower you scale, though, and main quest is marked on your map.

It has way more handholding than Minecraft, which is pretty recent memory.
>>
Because Nintendo learned from complaints about skyward sword which had more handholding than a special-ed class crossing the street?
>>
>>379583669
I wonder if that was a deliberate design choice or just Notch being too lazy to program a recipe book
>>
>>379583689
Whoops, meant to quote >>379583404
>>
>>379583689
>>379583727
lazy, probably. The games is very bare bones.
By now it's not really needed, though.
Though I wish all crafting was 2x2 squares and every combination of items has a result.
>>
>>379583404
Still better than a literal GPS giving you a direct path to your objective in Witcher 3, every sidequest being marked once you climb a tower in an Ubisoft game, or fucking witcher senses.

Playing through witcher 3 was a numb experience, if anything playing that is more tedious than having to navigate terrain in BotW
>>
>>379583404
>>379584038
minecraft has a recipe book, though. They just added one to the java edition and the console/mobile editions have always had one.
>>
>>379584119
I entirely agree, but you're comparing completely different games.
I'd say BotW is more like Minecraft than Witcher 3 and Asscreed/Far Cry. Minecraft crafting and building being BotW's cooking and physics.
The combat is more similar to the simplistic style of Minecraft than fancy animations like Witcher 3, Horizon and Ubisoft stuff, too. Using physics to kill enemies is like pouring lava underneath them or making sand/gravel/redstone traps in MC.

That said, BotW's and MC's style of gameplay would fit very well in Witcher 3, but they could also have pushed really far in another direction, like dismembering and weakpoints from Horizon or things like
>bestiary being useful
>more different sword attacks and tricks
>a lot more monsters, like 40 unique ones with means of tracking and different behaviors
>more bombs, traps and potions for a ton of different situations that actually change gameplay
>>
>>379584525
I didn't know. It didn't when I last played it.
It also never told you about your objective in the game.

Does the recipe book only show how to craft something new, not what it is?
>>
>>379584753
>It also never told you about your objective in the game.
achievements have been in the game since like 2013, those are your objectives.
>>
>>379584753
>Does the recipe book only show how to craft something new, not what it is?
oops missed this part, it does both iirc.
I don't really play survival so I'm not entirely sure
>>
>>379581551
a couple of vocal autists don't speak for all of /v/, reddit
>>
>>379586220
It was a long time since I played.
I'd still rather compare BotW to sandbox games like Minecraft or lighter sandbox games like GTA than W3, Horizon, AC and FC which would be large rocks and gemstones instead.
>>
>>379581993
i died more times in botw than in fallout new vegas
>>
>>379586458
honestly BotW and mc have nothing in common
>>
>>379587038
More in common than BotW and Witcher 3, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed or Horizon Zero Dawn for sure.
Especially the unlinearity, interaction with the world, simplicity of combat, exploration, lack of map markers and side content like hunting for food and fish or gathering ingredients for cooking.

Open world isn't a genre.
>>
>>379587705
>lack of map markers and side content like hunting for food and fish or gathering ingredients for cooking.
but BotW has those things as well. Also, I'd argue that BotW has better combat than most other open world games.
>>
>>379588075
I didn't mean a lack of hunting for food and fish or gathering ingredients for cooking.
I know that BotW has map markers for the main quest, but the lack of map markers for optional content is more similar to MC than the large question marks on your map in W3 or showing nearby fireplaces and points of interest in Horizon.
Simple combat doesn't mean worse.
>>
>>379588317
>I didn't mean a lack of hunting for food and fish or gathering ingredients for cooking.
then what did you mean?
>>
>>379588739
"Especially the unlinearity, interaction with the world, simplicity of combat, exploration, side content like hunting for food and fish or gathering ingredients for cooking and lack of map markers"
Is what I should've typed.
>>
>>379582515
And cute
>>
>>379588819
I'm still not really seeing many similarities between BotW and minecraft, since the former has a focus on puzzle-solving and quests which the latter has none of, but I guess if that's your opinion then so be it
>>
>>379584683
You can also disable that GPS and then explore the world. But yeah these 1500 markers on the worldmap are fucking awful
>>
>>379589018
But the other games I mentioned aren't focused on puzzle-solving, and side quests exist in Minecraft but to a much lesser extent.
Imagine a minecraft world with koroks and shrines, and Witcher 3's world with koroks and shrines.
I'd say Minecraft is more similar.
>>
>>379589218
>and side quests exist in Minecraft
???
>Imagine a minecraft world with koroks and shrines, and Witcher 3's world with koroks and shrines.
I'm picturing it and neither of them would fit
>>
>>379589314
>I'm picturing it and neither of them would fit
I don't think you get it.
>>
>>379589218
>sides quests exists in MC
So now the villagers do others things than dumb exchanges ?
>>
>>379589384
You could argue that those exchanges are side quests. Very simple fetch quests.
>>
>>379589532
but they aren't, you're talking utter nonsense
>>
>>379589604
Do you need a quest log and map markers for it to be a quest? Do you need an exclamation mark above the guy's head?
And you still don't get the point.
>>
>>379589701
nah, I get the impression you've already made up your mind on this regardless of how little you know of both BotW and MC as games. There's no arguing with confirmation bias. When it comes to the point that you're comparing trades with standard quests as if they're alike it's just petty.
>>
>>379581551
>a game made for children

Nintendo are an *AND* company.
>>
I haven't heard a single reason why it's more similar to Far Cry, AssCreed and Witcher 3 over Minecraft, though.
And the side quests was a small part of it that you isolated for convenience. I even said "to a much lesser extent".
The biggest similarities is non-linearity and interaction with the world.
>>
>>379590038
meant for >>379589926
>>
>>379590194
it has towers like FC/AC, even if they're used a little differently, and it's structured around quests like those types of games as well. Really, though, BotW has most in common with past Zelda games given its use of dungeons and puzzles, it doesn't have much in common with any of these games. The MC comparison really makes the least sense as MC doesn't have a story, characters, quests, dialogue, puzzles (or even really dungeons), combat beyond spam-clicking, etc. - it's a daft comparison.
>>
>>379581849
It more or less is desu senpai.
>>
>>379590507
Ye but I don't like Breath of the Wild and I don't like Minecraft therefore they are similar :^(
>>
>>379592359
Nice falseflag but jokes on you I like both.
I just think the whole "every game with an open world should be like BotW in the future" thing that people have been spouting is stupid.
>>
>>379592817
It won't happen anyway. Most devs won't even bother trying to replicate BotW. That would take time, money, talent and an actual desire to make something good.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.