[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>game calls itself an rpg >my char has a story I didnt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 12

File: CH89jtVUMAA9t2R.png (392KB, 600x575px) Image search: [Google]
CH89jtVUMAA9t2R.png
392KB, 600x575px
>game calls itself an rpg
>my char has a story I didnt choose
>only has abilities specific to the story
>abilities try to be jack of all trades but end up being barebones
>no other weapons except swords
>gameplay is mostly dodge and strike
>map is massive, so I cant tailor char to a playstyle with ease
>>
you forgot that you can't even equip a helmet, your gear is just pants and chest
>>
>>379500636

>buys a game about a protagonist with a set background, setting, motivations, personality, story
>wtf I thought this would be a spaceage exploration waifu simulator
>>
witcher is garbage, all of it.
>>
>>379500636
>playing a role
>>
No video game is an RPG. No video game allows actual roleplaying.
>>
>>379500636
The Witcher 3 is just the ultimate form of the Ubisoft open world formula, but with dialogues.
TW3 is an okay game, but an astounding success in marketing.
It actually made people think the game is better than it really is.
>>
>>379500636
its utter garbage and most people are utter garbage so of course they like it

the rpg parts are shit too like you said, its almost like calling zelda and rpg
>>
>>379500636

>No other weapons except swords

And a shovel
>>
File: 1459814233231.jpg (60KB, 495x507px) Image search: [Google]
1459814233231.jpg
60KB, 495x507px
>>379500636
>RPG
>Role Playing Game
>Story you didn't choose is still playing a role

Kill yourself
>>
>>379501221
TES retard
>>
File: 9966.png (73KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
9966.png
73KB, 600x800px
>>379501221
correct
>>
>>379501592
None of them.
>>
>>379500636
>TW2
>allows you to make choices that eventually even slip up the game in two almost completely differnt ones
>TW3
>let's not try to improve on that and give the middle finger to all our fans with le generic modern open world trope
>>
File: 59538056_p0.jpg (430KB, 2048x950px) Image search: [Google]
59538056_p0.jpg
430KB, 2048x950px
>>379501221
You're such a fucking moron it hurts.
>>
>>379501723
It's the truth. You're just underaged and have never tried a tabletop to be able to realize that no video game will ever let you roleplay and you only celebrate incredibly watered down versions of actual role playing games like they're the best things ever.
>>
There's a pretty big difference between blank slate RPG's and set character RPG's.

Fire Emblem Echoes does something cool by having your main character have a set class, but the villagers you bring with you from the beginning of the game are given several choices of classes to choose from in order to customize the player's army to their liking. Kind of a best of both worlds desu as it's pretty difficult to make an engaging story with interesting characters if the main character is nothing but a blank slate.
>>
>>379501221
Define actual roleplaying, I mean even the DM railroads you most of the time in a campaign and there are still rules about what you actually can or can't do despite relying on imagination and dice rolls.
>>
>>379500636
Witcher would be fine as an action game, because thats what it is, it plays like a GTA game. Calling it an RPG is a joke.
>>
>>379501705
But it worked desu. TW3 is the most profitable Polish work of media ever made.
>>
>>379501868
As usual, by this logic MGS3 or Call of Duty is an RPG.

>but muh choices and consquences
That one Black Ops CoD has that.
>>
why was the last thread deleted? sounds like someone is on the payroll.

Anyway, yea it's just reskinned Mad Max/Arkham/Shadow of mordor WB garbage.

And literally none of the quests have an interesting story.

Why was this shit so hyped?
>>
>>379501705
>allows you to make choices that eventually even slip up the game in two almost completely differnt ones
One after the first third, another that changes up things on the last stretch.

The rest is actually inferior to the choices that have to be made in TW3.
>>
>>379501950
CoD is profitable too. Go to bed, shill.
>>
>>379501996
What logic? I gave an example of something
>>
>>379501924
>RPG
>Role Playing Game
>You play the role of Geralt of Rivia, a Witcher

Are you dumb?
>>
>>379502021
You didn't play 2 if you really think that. It's objectively wrong.
>>
>>379502203
In Halo you play the role of Master Chief, are YOU dumb?
>>
>>379500636
>game calls itself a role playing game
>gives you a role to play as

whoa
>>
>>379500636
>he cannot into roleplay if he doesn't create his character from the scratch
>>
>>379502083
It's 9:10 AM I just woke up. TW2 was not even in the same league of profits as TW3 senpai. They will never go back to splitting their game in two. Although it was a neat idea, leaving half of your game on the chopping block if a player makes a choice doesn't seem like the most money conscious way to make a piece of media. I don't think most players want to go through a game they already finished for a second playthrough. I certainly loved it but I don't think the average player has that kind of patience.
>>
>>379502342
>>379502276
>>379502203
reminder to sage and report for blatant shilling
>>
>>379501810
I GM every week dumbass. Plenty of games allow you to go into them with a specific character in mind and make meaningful mechanical choices for how to represent this character, and then use that character to interact with the world.

I love tabletop rp but I don't know what pills you're on if you think there are no difficulties that it has vidya rp avoids. I find it difficult to believe you're not the underaged one here if you've never played with an awful group, a bad dm, or had a campaign die midway due to unexpected schedule changes.
>>
The witcher series are basically an euphemism for life.
You get a linear rpg with story progression ( that's actually not going the way you want it to), decisions that make your playthrough slightly better and miserable for sure, and in the end you get shit on anyway.
That's why it hits too close to home and people like it.
The only thing the game has and real life doesn't are save points.
>>
>>379502490
So you've got a whole lot of nothing to say and no arguments.
>>
>>379501950
There is nothing that requires taste to appreciate in the witcher 3, its ultracomersialized garbage your average casual will feel right at home.
>>
Why do I feel like the people who claim that the witcher is an rpg are the same people who claim fallout 4 isn't
>>
>>379502594
I don't agree with that statement but I do agree that they wrote to a wider audience and it certainly paid off for them.
>>
>>379502204
I played it a month ago before playing TW3 fuck off.

You can side with either Roche or Iorveth after the first fight with Letho, no matter what you did before, and later decide to either free that cunt or run for Triss, those are the great choices that are indeed without challenge from TW3

the rest has only mild consequences and does actually just change the ending and lets some people live long enough for quests or dialog.
Same shit as in TW3 only less fleshed out.
>>
>>379500636
>Important News Bulletin: CRPG's are not the same as tabletop RPG's
Shocking, I know.
>>
>>379502530
what a retarded explanation. you can always change course in real life, you cant do that in the witcher visual novel games with runescape combat
>>
>>379502574
If that's true than neither do you. You haven't made any arguments yet. You've just made blanket statements without explaining why they're true.

My arguments are that tabletop has it's fair share of problems and vidya, because of previously stated characteristics, is capable of "true rp." Happy?
>>
>>379502913
if you can, then why are you still a lonely virgin with no future?
>>
It's funny how back when W3 was released, people were gushing over it and when the GOTYs came out, there was a shitton of OC that came out because of it. Now, people are stumbling over each other to be as contrarian as possible with no actual criticism about specific parts of the game, instead with just vague shit like "le combat/story/pacing/characters was shit" or posting a webm.
>>
>>379500636
Play on hardest difficulty.

thread over.
>>
>>379502964
Not exactly, because them both having problems is irrelevant to the argument that video games have no freedom in roleplaying and thereby are garbage roleplaying games that might as well have none.
>>
>>379500636
>gameplay is mostly dodge and strike

Hi soulseries
>>
>>379502883
This desu. TW2's choices are extremely overrated
>>
>>379500636
>i don't know what an RPG is
>>
>>379502976
im not a virgin but to answer your question ive got serious health problems, problems im working to fix.

only literal faggots, leftist retards, believe they have no choice
>>
>>379502976
Typical 14 year old /v/-goer response
>>
>>379503220
i can definitely agree with you
>>
File: 1485639578045.png (2MB, 1749x1445px) Image search: [Google]
1485639578045.png
2MB, 1749x1445px
Real CRPGs have never been tried.
>>
>>379501221
>non-Bethesda Fallouts
>>
>>379503214
>leveling makes it an rpg

guess cod is an rpg then
>>
>gameplay = combat
worst meme
>>
>>379503304
If that's what you think then Call of Duty is probably the greatest FPS ever for you
>>
>>379502530
>The witcher series are basically an euphemism for life.
I like this post. Even though I think you meant to pick "allegory" for your $100 word there.

>The only thing the game has and real life doesn't are save points.
Thing is, if it did, how would you know? It's not like the "continue game" Geralt that pops out of a save file has any awareness of the alternate-timeline Geralt that died horribly at the hands (?) of that Leshen. As far as he remembers, the Geralt that you finished the game with had hundreds of flawless victoires, one after another (and is probably undefeated at gwent).
>>
>>379503340
>gameplay = picking dialogue options decided by stats that are the same every single time
worst meme
>>
>>379503371
>>379502083
>>379501996

Why do you bring up call of duty so much?
>>
>>379503054
I find the assertion that no video games have freedom in rp compared with tabletop insane. If anything there's LESS railroading in something like fallout than your average tabletop game. And besides, all of the problems I listed about tabletop so are ones that limit its rp and don't trouble vidya.
>>
>>379500636
WTF? You are saying that the character should have no story at all? Just...

What kind of games do you like them? Dark Souls and The Sims?
>>
>so many characters have an eye scar for awhile I assumed it was part of one of the trials
>>
>>379500636
All of this is correct. Good post OP
>>
Shut up you whiny little faggot or you'll be roleplaying as a battered corpse.
>>
>>379503414
Sorry, i'm not really good at literature.
>>
>>379503617
I mean, you're objectively wrong, because even the most open and free video game RPG is going to be the same every time you use the same formula, and even then it won't have many options at all, generally no more than 3-5 for any given situation. This is astronomically less than what you can do with tabletop to the point that you have to be baiting to disagree, or have such fond memories of a certain CRPG that you can't help but have to defend it indirectly by defending video game RPGs as a whole.
>>
>>379500636
Frogposter is fucking stupid, more at 11
>>
>>379502987
Alright well here's some actual criticism from someone who largely enjoyed the game.

Witcher Senses are shit, they're a crutch. Basically every quest has you holding right click and staring at the ground looking for something. It's not fun, it doesn't really add much to the game and I wish CDPR had come up with something more interesting in it's place.

The game is pretty buggy, and could have used a little more polish. Geralts hair/beard can clip through his clothes if your armor has a high collar, generally this isn't much of an issue but TW3 has a lot of cutscenes, and seeing this constantly really pulled me out of the game. Granted it only crashed once in the 50 hours it took me to finish it but a little more polish would have been nice.

The Witcher Gear treasure hunts are just plain bad. Following the minimap to a place, walking into a cave and picking up a diagram isn't interesting, but the Witcher Gear is the best gear for the most of the game, so you're punished for not wanting to do these bad quests.

The minimap is too heavily relied on, which is a shame because the game is gorgeous, but instead of looking at that you're looking at a little map in the corner of your screen. It's nice that there's an option to disable it but most of the time NPC's don't give you enough information to find something using directions and landmarks so you're hindering yourself by not using it. This isn't helped by the fact that the map has a delay when opening, and just doesn't really handle that well (zooming out takes too long etc)

And while we're on the subject the UI just fucking sucks. It strikes a balance between a controller friendly UI and a mouse friendly one but just ends up getting the worse elements of both with very little of the good stuff. Also maybe this was just my machine but the game often hitched when I switched between inventory tabs that had a lot of items in them.

So there you go, an autistically long post with some actual criticism.
>>
>>379503220
>im not a virgin
awesome, bro, glad to hear it

>ive got serious health problems
that's a bummer, bro, sorry

>believe they have no choice
tricky. it's tricky... maybe you do, or maybe it's just the illusion of choice. depends on the nature of time, really, and which of the theories of quantum mechanics you subscribe to... i don't think i'm smart enough to puzzle it all out, so i'll probably never know
>>
>>379500636
The best definition I've ever heard for an RPG is gameplay and story defined by choice and consequence of which Witcher 3 has barely any, hell less than other open world games not even called RPGs.
>>
File: true.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
true.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
>>379500636
Should have tried real RPG games instead of Bitcher.
>>
>>379503940
can you buy some of these rpg games with money withdrawn from an ATM machine
>>
>>379503865

Criticism that is for the most part nit picking. Yes, the game isn't flawless, but it's still far better than most RPG's.
>>
>no other weapons except swords
Witcher 1 had alternative weapons. They were basically useless because they didn't work with Witcher Arts.

Basically, Geralt has trained his entire life using swords. Yes he could pick up something sharp and hurt something with it, but expecting him to be able to pick it up and start doing pirouettes like he can with a sword is wrong.

>what's your point.
No alternative weapons is disappointing from a gameplay perspective, but it makes sense from a narrative one.
>>
What are some actually good RPGs where you can choose a lot of shit and have important choices throughout the game? Help me out senpai.
>>
>>379503784
>Sorry, i'm not really good at literature.
All good, anon, I actually had to google it myself to confirm I was remembering right.
>>
>>379504126
Best I can do is Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas
>>
I mean if you really want complete character and playstyle freedom, then video games are not the right choice. By fact of being a video game, there are limitations that are not normally found in true role playing games.

Playing a video game rpg is akin to either playing in a heavily railroaded rpg campaign or a campaign with gm generated preset player characters. Just enjoy the video game RPGs for what they are, but recognize they are not true RPGs and can never allow true freedom until technology has greatly advanced.
>>
>>379503891
kek that reads like a copypasta shitpost

anyways just the belief that you have free will will lead you to take a more active role in decision making, there are studies on that, so it's beneficial in either case
>>
>>379503791
Just because a tabletop rpg CAN have astronomically more options than a crpg doesn't mean it DOES. I don't give a shit about potential, I only care about what each has to offer me. I got so fed up with shitty GM's and players that I became a forever-GM, and now the hobby can't offer me the experience as a player. I have been quantum-ogred, railroaded, and had games derailed by CN players too many times to believe that tabletop is always superior in choice, and that you don't need to wade through shit LOTS of shit before the available RP starts to be as superior as you make it out to be.
>>
>I can't selfinsert how the fuck is this "role" playing.

You are the same niggers that ruin every tabletop group I've ever met by not getting the "role" part they even vowed to play beforehand.

>I know my guy is a sexy crazed alcoholic and he fights at the slightest provocation, this is gonna be great.
>But I don't want to run after that random girl and split from the group, who would act like that?
>What do you mean my character wouldn't know that?

dim retards I swear.
>>
>>379504048
My complaints about Witcher Senses aren't nitpicking, they're a huge part of gameplay and quest design and they're not good.

But otherwise yeah, it mostly is nitpicking. I thought the game was great but you said you wanted some actual criticism and I thought some elements of the game were worthy of criticism.
>>
>>379504279
It doesn't matter what you like or enjoy or not, it's about how objectively video games don't allow RP or freedom and that only tabletop can. There's nothing wrong with liking video game "RP"Gs.
>>
>>379504387

I wasn't the other guy, but I guess my point was that the game is getting shouted down for things that amount to "i didn't like it, therefore no one should."

I agree that Witcher senses could, and should have been done a lot better.
>>
>>379504126
>What are some actually good RPGs where you can choose a lot of shit and have important choices throughout the game?
I think people are comparing Witcher to something like Skyrim. Big stylistic difference with the choice of PC there though. In games like Skyrim, the PC is a blank slate - a classic player avatar. The PC has no set gender, name, skills, history, nothing. You get to fill it all in. In Witcher, you're playing a defined character with years of fictional history, friends, enemies, skills, and so on. So you're "locked in" to playing that specific guy.

Both approaches have their merits, I think. The skyrim style gives the player the freedom to make whatever sort of character and story they want. The witcher approach allows the devs to make a more focused narrative, since the PC is a known quantity going in.
>>
>Role Playing Game
>Plays the role of a character in the game

1/10
>>
File: lelf girls.jpg (115KB, 300x269px) Image search: [Google]
lelf girls.jpg
115KB, 300x269px
>>379501068
>buys a game
>>
>>379504619
it's okay as long as it isn't over 20 bucks
>>
File: 1456234905542.png (88KB, 321x306px) Image search: [Google]
1456234905542.png
88KB, 321x306px
>>379500636

Ultimate pleb red flag. If you're incapable of role play as an established character, you suck at roleplaying. Read up about the character, via in-game lore or by investing some time to check out the books. Learn about his relationships with other established character, the way he approaches problems, his stances on ethical and moral issues, about how he perceives the world around him, etc. Use all of that information to look at the scenarios presented in the game, and make decisions based on what you think the character of Geralt would do in those situations.

Or just do whatever you want, and roleplay a version of Geralt that's more in line with whatever you want him to be. (Like choosing Triss over Yen, for example)

That's how you roleplay an established character.

Fuck Skyrim and Mass Effect for raising a generation of casual retards that think that the "creating a bland, blank slate character" is the only aspect of roleplaying.
>>
Yen is best girl. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>379504651
>it's okay as long as it's on sale
ftfy
>>
>>379504737
this
>>
File: 1446153862851.jpg (21KB, 248x189px) Image search: [Google]
1446153862851.jpg
21KB, 248x189px
>>379500774
>fantasy rpg has less armor options than Skyrim
Witcherfags will defend this.
>>
>>379500636
Youre roleplaying as a Witcher you mouthbreathing retard
>>
>>379501221
Arcanum
>>
>>379504279
>Just because a tabletop rpg CAN have astronomically more options than a crpg doesn't mean it DOES
No, that's true. If you compare the best CRPG's to the worst human GM's, especially. But there's more freedom in tabletop on average. No (current) game engine can improvise like a good human GM.
>>
>>379504737
whats the fuckign point of making choices if you're just gonna make the obvious choices that that prewritten character would make? Might as well remove the choice completely then. You're a fucking faggot.
>>
>>379500636
>role playing game
>role playing as a witcher

>role playing somehow implies it has to be ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MY OWN ME
>>
>>379504737
>Use all of that information to look at the scenarios presented in the game, and make decisions based on what you think the character of Geralt would do in those situations.
All the options are what Geralt would do dumb fuck, that is the problem. You can not influence Geralt in any meaningful way and when you try to he says fuck off and gives you no decision options.
>>
>>379501221
This.
Most games adopt RPG elements, those that adopt a lot of RPG elements belong to the CRPG genre, but are not actual 100% role playing games.
>>
>>379504841
i roleplay as Dante in Devil May Cry
>>
>>379503279
Because they cannot be made. If you go by P&P standards then there are no real roleplaying video games.
>>
>>379504238
>anyways just the belief that you have free will will lead you to take a more active role in decision making, there are studies on that, so it's beneficial in either case
Fair enough. Objective truth is kind of a downer anyway, honestly. Bring on the comforting illusions!
>>
You've been posting these threads all day, haven't you
>>
>>379504990
I bet some people do
>>
>>379501221
Dorf Fort retard
>>
>>379505058
>Bring on the comforting illusions!
I can't stand those. But you can't prove that free will exists or not and there is no reason to believe it don't.
>>
>>379505169
This is the first legitimate counterargument
>>
>>379504960

Because you're playing the role of a character, it's fun. Nobody is fucking forcing you to play like book Geralt though. Just roleplay as a more idealized version instead if you don't want to put in the work to play the role accurately.

You have the option, hense why it's a ROLEPLAYING game.
>>
>>379500636
That's why it shouldn't have been open world.
>>
>>379504048
Generally agree. I also liked the game overall, but had some of the same complaints.
>>
File: xw35tv.jpg (24KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
xw35tv.jpg
24KB, 480x480px
You did kill him, right? Withcers kill monsters.
>>
>ITT: games don't fit this very narrow view of role playing, therefore they cannot be role playing games

these autists need to chill out
>>
>>379504410
>>379504387
I know, and I understand your points. What i'm protesting is the assertion of what a "true rpg" is and is not, and that video games are completely incapable of being them. I personally don't feel an experience needs infinite freedom to be "true rp"; I usually wouldn't want to play a space alien in a fantasy game, for example. The fact that you can't choose from infinite options for creating a character and the story told by playing that role and instead must choose from a vast, yet mildly context-restricted selection doesn't make it not a "true rpg" to me, because by that logic the vast majority of tabletop campaigns aren't "rpg's" either because of the problems the hobby faces. If you want to say that tabletop at the high-end is the superior rp experience, I actually agree; but I think trying to change the definition of "rpg" to something based on two personal principles instead of what the word is used for by most people is ridiculous.
>>
>>379504979

If you seriously think that, you don't know shit about Geralt.
>>
>>379505206
>I can't stand comforting illusions.
I don't buy it. I mean, maybe, MAYBE you're that guy who's got it all figured out, while the rest of us stupid insects stumble around in the dark desperately clinging to any half-truth we can get a hold of. It just seems statistically unlikely.
>>
how open world are the first 2 games?
>>
>>379505331
>school of the cat
Of course I did. I refused to kill Letho though.
>>
>>379505668
I'm that guy
>>
>>379504925
>>379504387
>>379505571
And I can't click on the right posts, apparently.
>>
>>379505965
>I'm that guy
In that case, it's a pleasure to meet you.
>>
>>379506138
Good day to you too dear sir/madam. *tips top hat*
>>
>>379505894
>Of course I did. I refused to kill Letho though.
I kept him alive too. He makes me smile.

Reminds me of the crocodile guy from TMNT.
>>
>>379503865
>The game is pretty buggy, and could have used a little more polish
Pun intended?
>>
>>379505721
>how open world are the first 2 games?
Somewhat more linear main stories, far fewer side quests and activities, and the map is broken into a larger number of smaller parts. If you're familiar with Dragon Age that will give you a fair idea.
>>
>>379506358
>The game is pretty buggy, and could have used a little more polish
>Pun intended?
ha, nice.
>>
>>379506606
thanks anon, wanted to play the first 2 but didn't want another 190 hour open world game.
>>
File: 292030_20161104154604_1.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
292030_20161104154604_1.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>379500636
I RPed as Geraldine, a hardcore smoker who gets misgendered by literally everyone.
>>
>>379501378
By that logic every game is an RPG.
>>
>>379501378
So that makes fallout 4 more deserved of the GOTY then ? kek.
>>
>>379501221
wtf have you even PLAYED skyrim?
>>
>>379505571
>>379506124
Y'know, interesting thought, I wonder what it will be like when the CRPG engines actually CAN emulate a good GM. It's not necessarily that far off - current AI can make a conversation box good enough to fool a lot of people, for instance. And even though we were all talking about the "infinite options" above, most actual gameworlds are pretty tightly constrained systems, conceptually.
>>
>>379506852
>thanks anon, wanted to play the first 2 but didn't want another 190 hour open world game
I'd say, at this point, read a summary of the first one and jump right into Witcher 2. W1 is comparatively low quality and the plot has very little bearing on the events of the subsequent games. Almost all the events being referred to in Witcher 3 happened either in W2 or in the books.
>>
RPG is such a shit meme genre. It basically means any game with levels, a talent tree or a progression system. I actually used to play d&d and no video game is truly a rpg.
>>
>>379506985
>By that logic every game is an RPG.
OH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT

No, actually, you're right. There was a pretty interesting article I read a while back by a game dev (this is probably 10 or 15 years ago, now that I think about it) about the psychology of players and how they project mentally into avatars in different types of games. I'll see if I can't dig it up.
>>
>>379506985
Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty have leveling systems nowadays.
"RPG" doesn't meaning anything anymore
>>
>>379506869
>I RPed as Geraldine, a hardcore smoker who gets misgendered by literally everyone.
That's probably /thread right there.
>>
>>379507394
>>379507604
Anons are just putting too much weight on the term I think. Each game is whatever it is. The whole point of having genres is to set expectations - "oh, you liked X? You might also like Y, it's in the same genre". That's it. Yes, the definitions are fuzzy, and yes, they change over time. That's fine, it can still do its job.
>>
>>379508045
>>379508045
>That's fine, it can still do its job.
It can't anymore. There are no limits to what defines an rpg in the video game sense so basically every game is an rpg.
>>
>>379508119

Mechanics determine genre. Every game ever made is an RPG in some sense, but what separates every genre is how they play.
>>
>>379508284
That would make sense except the rpg "genre" spans games with wildly varying mechanics and sometimes just completely unrelated genres.
>>
>>379500636
Do you miss the bioware forums?
>>
>>379508119
>There are no limits to what defines an rpg in the video game sense so basically every game is an rpg.
Except that's not actually true. Nobody actually refers GTA or CoD an rpg. If somebody posts a best rpg threat, nobody jumps in and shouts "Modern Warfare".

It means a specific thing, even if that thing is not what you think it should mean. Anything labeled rpg without other qualifiers is going to be a fantasy game, likely single player, with a focus on narrative and lots of dialog, and typically emphasizing a single long playthrough. Games that are sorta-rpg's but deviate from that formula will usually be explicit about how ("a modern rpg", "a fast-play rpg", etc)
>>
>>379504761
I can't.
>>
>>379500636
>you play a role
>somehow this is wrong
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>379500636
The Farmer 3.
>>
>>379508507

That's why we have many subgenres to determine exactly what kind of RPG you're playing. Can you think of a better way to represent the RPG genre as it stands today?
>>
>>379504984
Never go full retard
Thread posts: 149
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.