[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >never played SOMA >after seeing some videos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: Soma_Game_Art.png (155KB, 280x325px) Image search: [Google]
Soma_Game_Art.png
155KB, 280x325px
>be me
>never played SOMA
>after seeing some videos on youtube get interested
>looks like a fun mini horror game to pass the time
>install and play
>the monsters are a bit annoying, but the story is interesting
>thatfuckingtwist.jpg
>the story has me hooked
>I start questioning life, existence, consciousness, everything
>reach the ending
>themfeels.png
>this was 4 days ago
>existential crisis still won't go away

Wat do
>>
Find a new hobby.
>>
Play an actual game.
like System Shock
>>
What's the twist?
>>
Listen to the credits music on repeat while contemplating everything you've seen in the game.

The next day look up all analysis and reviews and bask in the glory of people loving something as much as you do.

This has only happened for me with three games so far, genuinely one of the best and most fulfulling feelings I've had in my life so far.
>>
turn 360 degrees and walk away
>>
>>379500205
materialism
>>
I don't remember there being a twist in Soma.
>>
>>379502826
I guess if you didn't see the ending coming where you're copied instead of transferred, but it was so obvious considering everything that had happened up until that point
>>
>>379500205
Probably that part when Simon finds out he's literally a cortex chip and sensors jammed onto a dead (woman's) body and held together with structure gel.
>>
File: ross.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
ross.gif
1MB, 500x281px
One of the most interesting scifi games in recent years. Instead of going the easy route and creating just another scary game like Penumbra or Amnesia, Frictional thought of something completely new and focused on narrative instead of just being scary.

I love pretty much everything about SOMA: the deep sea setting, mind scanning / uploading, the whole idea about trying to save mankind by copying their consciousnesses, cyborgs, AIs.
Great game.
>>
I loved the game but I wish it had better gameplay. They actually talked about it recently which suprised me since they talk a lot about the narrative and such instead. https://frictionalgames.blogspot.fi/2017/05/planning-core-reason-why-gameplay-feels.html
>>
>>379503780
Great game.

Underwater treks dragged on a bit but other than that it was fucking ace
>>
Dude i know exactly what you mean, i had a similar thing happen to me and i replayed the whole game again to get rid of it so maybe try that?
>>
>>379503568
That was meant to be a twist? I thought that other anon meant what's happening on the surface and why there are monsters.
Can someone spoil it for me please?
>>
File: Contempt.png (460KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Contempt.png
460KB, 500x500px
>>379504131
>"Just compare playing Super Mario to something like Dear Esther"
That kind of makes me want to drop reading it right there. DEsther is not a game; you do not "play" it.
Anyone who thinks differently is a cell in the cancer that's killing videogames.
-Should I drop it, or does it get better?
>>
>>379499963
>leaving Simon-2 locked in a room without a working omnitool & with a female proxy outside
>hearing his screams over the radio when you reach the final site
This fucking game
>>
>>379506862
Read the SOMA part.
>>
>>379506647
I don't know, really. Depends on how observant the player is I guess.
I admit that while I did realise pretty soon that Simon isn't (biologically) human any more, it was kind of a twist to me just how much of a fucked up frankenstein he was made into.
There's a neat detail in a lab somewhere with a mirror you can make Simon look in, by the way. You know what's up by the time you get there, but it's a nice little touch.
>>
>>379507329
Thank god I didn't have it in me to leave the poor bastard alive
>They put an interactable mirror where you can see yourself as Simon-2 to really establish a sense of identity with him
>Right before the switch to Simon-3
That was fucking good, I almost hate frictional for the starting the meme of walking sim games but they're still the only guys that do it right
>>
>>379507883
Yes, that was really clever on their part.
>>
>>379507329
Really? And here I felt kind of bad about letting him die on my play. Felt like the path to least misery at the time, and I suppose I was right.
Unless that proxy girl was really just looking for a good dicking.
>ywn get raped by a wet zombie girl in a dead world
Why even live?
>>
>>379499963
>be me
I never understood why people would write this?
>>
>>379507883
It's a tough question : kill him so that he won't wake up alone, confused, and afraid? "Save" him from a dark and dreary existence? Or let him live to (potentially) survive and find a way either to A) The surface and other human survivors, B) Work with and/or Utilise the WAU and Structure Gel to (re)create humanity, or C) let him choose to end his own life of his own accord?

Seems like killing him is "merciful" only if you feel he doesn't have a hope/future. But letting him live could be far more cruel, and yet, can you make that choice? Take his life? End him? Prevent any possible futures and hope for him? Stop any potential development and growth? To destroy one of the few good things the WAU ever did? It's tough, and there isn't any one good answer.
>>
>>379506647
it's a nice idea but it isn't that mind fucky at all. the gist of it is that simon gets ''transferred'' from one fucked up cyborg body to another once in the game but what it happens is that it really only creates a copy while the old one is left behind and the new one doesn't realize he's a copy. at the end he is supposed to get ''transferred'' into a virtual ark in space but instead, again, a copy is made while the old one is left behind and it is revealed what really happens. albeit the revelations shouldn't be a surprise to most people as it is plentifully obvious what really happens from listening to the story
>>
>>379499963
You wait until you're 18, remove yourself from this website in the meantime, and continue on with your life.
>>
Now watch Black Mirror's Christmas Special for more existencial dread.
>>
>>379499963
Personally it helped me to talk about it with a friend, irl. Not even getting their opinion or advice or anything, just state to them how much it fucked you up. After that I calmed down again.
>>
>>379507329
Jesus, I'm glad I mercy-killed him.
>>
>>379499963
The first transfer was fucked. After that though, the ending only surprised me in that they decided to keep the player in the non-transferred Simon instead of immediately jumping to ark Simon. It made me feel dead inside, but so did the first transfer since it was painfully obvious what happened then.

But the post-credits wrapped it up nicely.

Good game. Fun thriller. Honestly, it was quite a bit better than Amnesia.
>>
>>379508875
Playing as ark Simon almost spooked me more than the regular game. Knowing that it's all fake gave me this underlying sense of dread and you know you couldn't even get out of there if you wanted.
>>
File: Hmf1.jpg (118KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
Hmf1.jpg
118KB, 406x364px
>>379507365
I'm not at that part yet, but:

>There is a model of player engagement called PENS (Player Experience of Need Satisfaction) which is quite rigorously researched. It uses the following criteria to evaluate what a player thinks about a game.

>Competence. This is how well a game satisfies our need to feel competent - the sense of having mastered the game.
>Autonomy. How much freedom does the player have and what options do they have to express it?
>Relatedness. How well is the player's desire to connect with other people satisfied?

>Measuring how well a game performs on the above metrics has been shown to be a much better indicator of various types of success (sales, how likely people are to recommend the game, and so forth) than simply asking if the game is "fun".

So THIS is why every modern game is a babbys casual handholding open world sandbox barely-a-game with cash-shop cosmetics on the side so you can show your bro-op buddies what a good little goy you've been?
FUCK
>>
File: 1496393965584.jpg (119KB, 855x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496393965584.jpg
119KB, 855x720px
Soma has one of the best spooks un years
>Read about this team of dudes going down the abyss where you need to go
>Yo go there you need a super suit
>There is a console telling you were the functioning super suits are
>One of them is still there down the abyss
>You pick up your super suit and check the console again
>The super suit moved
>You get to that área
>You find that the guy that used the suit died
>Suddenly the suit starts chasing you
>>
>>379500095
this
(looking glass was boss but they ran out of money)
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.