[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time we got a game that tried to innovate in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: tercio.webm (3MB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
tercio.webm
3MB, 720x304px
When was the last time we got a game that tried to innovate in terms of gameplay?

God Hand?
>>
How was God Hand innovative? Say what you will about Superhot but you can't deny that there's nothing else like it.
>>
Sonic Lost World.
>that parkour
But innovative doesn't always mean good.
>>
>>379486956
Shadow of Mordor Nemesis System

actually sucks because it's just enemies with random modfiers
>>
>>379487725
Superhot is basically just Time4Cat with FPS elements tacked on.
>>
Demon's Souls was innovative in how it used a persistent world for shortcuts and the online features.
>>
File: doppelsoldner.jpg (35KB, 310x361px) Image search: [Google]
doppelsoldner.jpg
35KB, 310x361px
>>379486956
They could have used some doppelsoldners
>>
>>379487946
Oh God don't even get me started on it.
I've never seen something so mundane marketed so fiercely as the greatest innovation in video game history.
>>
>>379488307

Aren't these the Spaniards vs the Dutch though? Judging based on their helmet designs.
>>
>>379488087
>Demon's Souls was innovative in how it used a persistent world for shortcuts
You aren't serious, are you? Demon's Souls wasn't even close to the first game to do this.

>the online features
This is a little more reasonable.
>>
Undertale
>>
>>379488438
Which other games did that? And I mean specifically keeping shortcuts active after death so your next life will be easier
>>
A lot of games are innovative. Especially in the indies because a quirk is a good way to get people interested.
>super time force
>No Mans Sky
>Dying Light
>DayZ
>SuperHot
>Tokyo42
>Hotline Miami
>okhlos
>>
>>379488401
It really is neat though before you hit the 5 hour mark and start chewing through the toughest enemies like wet tissue paper.
>>
>>379488307
There's not a single historical account of a Zweihander being effective against a pike formation EVER.
>>
>>379488438
Not that anon but I honestly can't remember it being applied to 3D games before Demons. You had shit like reconnecting the end of a dungeon to the beginning and shit like that but not wrapping the whole map around itself and making paths.
>>
>>379488829
>And I mean specifically keeping shortcuts active after death so your next life will be easier

That's just pedantry. There's nothing unique about the actual utility of a shortcut in Demon's Souls or it's implementation and it wasn't the first game to have them. For the record though, even if I was to subscribe to your ridiculously narrow definition it's still not the first game, e.g. Soul Reaver.
>>
File: 1486099904739.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1486099904739.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
>>379489426
It's not pedantry because it makes a lot of unique gameplay scenarios possible like suicide runs which would be pointless with games that have more conventional approaches to shortcuts, and adds a new spin to the classic "repeat a level if you die" formula. I haven't played Soul Reaver much so I'll take your word for it.
>>
>>379486956
What a shitty way to die.
>>
>>379486956
man wars must've been shit before we got guns
>>
>>379486956
ayo sauce on that webm?
>>
>>379489128
>No Mans Sky
>>
>>379489856
Have you tried the fucking title?
>>
>>379489128
>Hotline Miami
>No Mans Sky
>>
Prey 2017
>>
>>379489453
What game? And is it good?
>>
>>379489128
There's nothing innovative about DayZ.
>>
>>379489920
I feel like hating on it just announces how much hype cock you have up your ass.
>>
>>379486956
inb4 HALF LIFE 2 NEWBABBY FAGSWELLS.
>>
Skyrim for its approach to open world and RPG mechanics. I think it's the only game in recent history outside Beth's very own Fallout 4 that makes a conscious effort to change perceptions on the role playing VIDEO GAME. While not perfect, there's a point to be made; video games shouldn't be relying on a ton of numerical and statistical abstractions when it comes to RPGs. These aren't PNP RPGs where without abstractions the representations of characters, their actions, and the world doesn't exist. Video games have a more graphical nature to them that allows them to more accurately represent everything possible in an RPG. It's obvious how this was such a big inspiration for many games since including the recent BOTW.

TLOU is also innovative as well in terms of how it inputs its mechanics to its structure. Linear games don't tend to have crafting systems like this, just typical silent hill style combine items for puzzles.

Dawn Of War 3 might not be liked by this site, but it changed the RTS game a lot with its obvious MOBA meets Dawn Of War meets WC3 style where the base building serves a completely different purpose from the average RTS with match structure unlike any RTS or MOBA.

The real innovation is happening in games where combat is a small factor or not a factor at all.
>>
>>379489802
There were already guns at the time depicted in the webm
>>
>>379490226
Gravity Rush 2. It's fun but they made some questionable decisions with the missions. You should try out the first game, it's on PS4 and vita, you can get it for like 15 bucks. The first one is very short though, like maybe 8-10 hours for a playthrough.
>>
>>379489934
the title just refers to the battle formation...

Think I found out though. A Spanish film from 2006 called "Alatriste" starring Viggo Mortensen
>>
>>379490431
>the title just refers to the battle formation...
>Alatriste [2006] 1080p BluRay AAC x264[Spanish]-ETRG

Are you fucking retarded m8?
>>
>>379490309
Stop.
>>
>>379490504
doesn't show up on my end
>>
File: offworld trading company.jpg (723KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
offworld trading company.jpg
723KB, 1920x1080px
Offworld Trading Company is the last I can think of

>free market with fluctuating prices
>RTS but no units to control
>anonymously sabotage your opponents
>>
Souls series, the bonfire/souls system was relatively a new concept and the combat was unique in that it's fundamentally an action game but boiled down to a hit/dodge interplay that still feels just as rewarding.
>>
>>379486956
This is really cool. Reminds me of using pikes in mtw2
>>
>>379490642
Install 4chan X or open up webms with a media player to see the title metadata.
>>
>>379489398
Half Life ?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.