[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been seeing news articles about BC numbers, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: BC.jpg (93KB, 700x350px) Image search: [Google]
BC.jpg
93KB, 700x350px
So I've been seeing news articles about BC numbers, and it was originally claimed that 1.5% of an Xbox One user's time was spent on BC. MS could have left it alone and let console war faggotry run its course, but no... They decided they needed to refute the study as having shitty data and trying to defend their BC numbers. Well, now they made the mistake of having Mike Nichols report the numbers. Of course they report big numbers to make it sound impressive, but lets break it down.

They say that a bit over 508m hours of BC games have been played. So lets assume there are 30m Xbox One users. That means each user has averaged 16.93 hours total. In the 19 months BC has been out, that would average 53.47 minutes a month, or about 12.34 minutes a week. If that is 1.5%, then that means each person averages 13.71 hours a week on their Xbox One between shit like playing games and watching shit on Netflix. Is it so hard to believe that people spend an average of at least 14 hours using their Xbox One each week? Hell, 2 hours of Netflix/Games a day covers that... If anything the 1.5% seems like it is highballing the shit out of BC usage.

Now that I've had my fun pointing out how idiotic MS is, it is time to cut down to business. Who here thinks BC is pointless? It is a feature that certain people want, even if it is mostly ignored by the masses. Do you have any features you use on your console/PC other than playing games? Do you browse the internet, send messages to friends, or so on? If those features you use were ignored by the masses, would you want them removed from your console/PC?
>>
TLDR
>>
Shut the fuck up Sony faggot, article is wrong, Microsoft is right.
>>
>>379470309
>Who here thinks BC is pointless?
Only neofaggots would think that. "Based Sony with rentals and $15 ps2 games!"
>>
>>379470309
fake and gay
>>
>>379470963
I find it funny that Sony is the one pulling the shitty move here, and MS is actually doing something good for a change. Yet those faggots can't keep their ignorant mouths shut... Oh well, I guess the more they keep themselves in the dog house, the more they will be forced to try and make consumers happy by giving them what they want.
>>
>>379470309
How are more features a bad thing?
>>
File: 1440689449012.jpg (18KB, 348x341px) Image search: [Google]
1440689449012.jpg
18KB, 348x341px
>Because people arent spending 10 hours every day playing 360 games, it shouldnt be a thing
I bet you enjoy paying to stream PS3 games you fucking cuck.
>>
Fuck this is a BC shit, who the hell plays those outdated games? The best way to go is to make HD remasters and offer a monthly sub to stream those games. Grow up and accept only a select few autists care about outdated graphics.
>>
>>379471214
That was part of my point. You can't satisfy everyone at once, so you have to try and satisfy smaller groups with more specialized features like BC.

>>379471258
Congrats on the lack of reading comprehension Jamal. Have some fried chicken and watermelon for being such a good boy.
>>
>>379470309
What kinda retard would think allowing you more options to play the games you own is useless? Backwards compatibility is great, I'm a grown adult and I don't want to lug around every system I own or even have them all plugged in. Even if you're a Sony guy, you know BC was a huge selling point for the PS2, especially since the first year was fairly dry for the system. Just having access to so many fighting games on the Xbone is nice, means I don't have to drag out old 360 controllers that have been worn down hard from long sessions of fighting games with bros.

Seriously, how do you spin that as a bad thing? Of course the percentage is low though, most people only want shiny new games, and even more people just use their system to watch movies and shows the majority of the time. Just the world we live in.
>>
>>379470309
If there's legal ways to play old games on current consoles, I'm for it so long as Jewish practices like Nintendo's aren't involved.
Even if there's aren't, homebrew and emulators are a thing. If they aren't up to par now, they will be later.
BC should mainly be a factor when starting a next generation, not so much during or after.
>>
>>379471880
>BC should mainly be a factor when starting a next generation, not so much during or after
I would say we are reaching a point where it is even worthwhile to add it during a generation. I mean, it may not affect AAA games much, but there are niche games that would still be made for PS3 and not PS4 years after the PS4 was released. Though, until you can emulate a system flawlessly, BC should be added. Helping people move on to a new system is good for both the consumer and the seller.
>>
>>379470309
>BC is pointless

You're a huge faggot. Also, you like to shit on MS for no apparent reason. Are you a corporate shill from Spny ? Case dismissed.
>>
File: IMG_7605.jpg (895KB, 1533x2052px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7605.jpg
895KB, 1533x2052px
>implying I'm not enjoying most of my 360 collection on my xbone, especilaly since my 360 is really getting old and buggy
>>
>>379470309
I play more bc games on my bone than actual bone games you stupid fucking sony shilling faggot
>>
>>379472882
oh shit nigga, even the fucking vita
>>
>>379472727
>>379472882
>>379472917
So do you people have shitty reading comprehension, or is this just shitposting?

>>379472882
Damn, do you just buy every game that hits a bargain bin or something?
>>
>OPTIONAL FEATURES ARE POINTLESS LOL

Thats why we lost free online at consoles, got DRM on Pc with Steam etc etc
>>
Here's why backwards compatibility should be a necessary feature.

>i own a ps4
>the ps5 is announced to have backwards compatibility
>i sell my ps4 as it is an objectively inferior console
>the money doesn't go back to sony so it's not a loss to them
>i use the money i just got to buy a ps5
>i now have a ps5

If PS5 was announced to not have any backwards compatibility, I'd probably hold off on buying it since I still have my PS4. Backwards compatibility gives people a reason to upgrade. Besides, how costly could it be to put it in your console? I think if my PS4 could play an old DVD, it can play a freaking PS2 game.
>>
File: 1475918040114.png (511KB, 535x605px) Image search: [Google]
1475918040114.png
511KB, 535x605px
>>379470446
People bitch if there is no BC, but when they get it, no one actually uses it.
>>
>>379473815
i can tell you right now that if xbone had proper BC like how the wii could play almost all gamecube games right out of the box, more people would be using it

Im still sitting here with my various RPGs and singleplayer titles, when they get added to xbone's BC I will throw out my 360
>>
>>379470309
wtf is this mental gymnastics?
Having option to play older games on newer console is a plus. Period.

Look up how many people bought Boodborne on PS4. Let's just make CoD and FIFA games in future and forget everything else because those two are most popular right?
>>
I love how out of NOWHERE, people are suddenly on the attack of BC after some cuck at sony says its useless. Maybe because they want to sell you shitty ass PS NOW and a handful of PS2 remasters on the playstation network. Sony has been paying the gaming media for years

>power and graphics matter! - when the ps4 is the strongest
>power and graphics? fucking useless! - when the scorpio is launching soon

>we play the long game bro! i love fifa and call of duty! - ps4, from 2013-2017
>xbox tried a few new ips and exclusives every year for the first few years? - lol no one fucking cares about exclusives

And now the sudden strike on BC, this is priceless. Sony negros are sad little men who arent happy unless everyone else is belittled or feels inferior
>>
>>379473815
>but when they get it, no one actually uses it.
OP implied the other way around. People use it.
>>
>>379470309
What else have they got to sell? Beam? Faggots have been riding on this for two years.
>>
>>379470309
>lets assume there are 30m xbone users
>lets base my entire argument and calculations on a number I literally just admitted pulling out of my ass
>>
Here's a question: Is there a good reason NOT to add BC? Is it costly? Time consuming? Is the technology just not there yet?
>>
>>379472882

How many levels of idiort u on senpai
>>
>>379473945

Don't forget Sports and Dudebro are "Good" now that Sony has the marketing rights to COD and FIFA
>>
>>379473932
>when they get added to xbone's BC I will throw out my 360
but why would you do that? why not keep your X360 and play your X360 games on that an play XBone games on your XBone?

>>379473947
okay, I worded that incorrectly
>Most people bitch if there is no BC, but when they get it, only a handful actually uses it.
there, fixed.

>>379474097
>Here's a question: Is there a good reason NOT to add BC? Is it costly? Time consuming? Is the technology just not there yet?
the biggest one would be difference in architectures between generations
>>
>>379474394
>the biggest one would be difference in architectures between generations
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>379474097

Yeah, it forces you to buy your games again. One of the main reasons I haven't bought a console in years
>>
>>379474520
It also forces developers to make the games again.
>>
>>379472882
You need another set of shelves, nigga. You want them labels out, if you're going to bother to have every game out and ready to use.
>>
>>379474609

No it doesn't, they just sell a slightly upgraded version. There's no reason from a consumer pov why they shouldn't add it
>>
I mean sure, I have an Xbox One and I only have Black Ops and Red Dead Redemption currently installed from my 360 games. But I'd much rather have as a feature than fucking not have it. The only reason I still own a 360 at this point is because of the MGS HD Collection.
>>
>>379470309
I want BC for Sony because they actually have exclusives worth going back to. But they're the ones jewing us.
>>
>>379474394
>why not keep your X360 and play your X360 games on that an play XBone games on your XBone?
Multiple consoles is a hassle, which is why backwards compatibility is an important feature for me. I already have my TV hooked up to five seperate consoles and my computer. If the opportunity comes to make things a little easier for myself, I will take it
>>
>>379473945
It's just going to get worse after E3.

This is a dark time for the Xbox, I've owned all three systems, and the Xbone is by far the black sheep of the brand. Basically nothing coming out for it that I can't just get elsewhere, and a lot of the old series like Halo just aren't being done in a way I like anymore (whoever decided not to focus on splitscreen for 5 is an idiot). But backwards compatibility, despite being limited, is great. If I want to play fighting games with the bros, I got fresh Xbone controllers to replace my worn out 360 ones, and access to a lot of fighting games no one is going to bother remastering. Not to mention just not having to buy those games again just to play them on a new system. I'm not dragging my computer out into the living room everyday, nor am I cramming all my buddies into my room. Without backwards compatibility I'd have to switch shit out just to go from Soul Calibur 2 to KI to MotW. My only complaint is that not EVERY fighting game on the 360 is compatible.
>>
>>379474948
Yeah but that's your own problem

Game companies make a new console for new games, they have zero rights to promise you that you can play old shit on there
>>
>>379474394
>why not keep your X360 and play your X360 games on that an play XBone games on your XBone?
Outside of Halo Reach, most Backwards Compatible games run as good if not better than they do in the 360. See: Red Dead Redemption.
>>
>>379474471
PS3 architecture was really weird, and there really isn't any easy way to emulate it on PS4 (which is much closer to a PC - or actually half of a PC spliced with SoC - half of a mobile device). So to get BC they would have to include extra hardware - basically include PS3 inside PS4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor)
>>
This is only because 360 has zero games worth playing

Now if we're talking OG xbox then we have something
>>
>>379475117
Of course they dont, just like I have zero right to promise them my money
>>
>>379470309
Maybe more people would use it if actually had more games.
>>
>>379475292
the 360 had a similar issue but the wizards at MS were able to emulate a 360 in the xbone hardware
>>
>>379474813
I'm also waition for MGS collection to be BC, after that I'm never turning on my 360 again
>>
>>379475457
This. People bitch about "entitled consumers" but consumers are the only reason these companies exist. BC is probably one of the best features on the Xbone because most of this entire generation is either weak or available on PC anyway.

>>379475974
Everyone else did vote for it on Microsoft's backwards compatibility voting page, right? I pretty much voted for every game I own that I might ever play again, so I know MGS collection was on there. That's one of those gems that also isn't on PC, and emulation isn't quite there for the titles (last I checked at least).
>>
>>379475886
Didn't some devs say that the 360 felt like a PC in some aspects?
>>
>>379476167
All Xboxes have PC like aspects, especially from a programming standpoint. Doesn't always lead to easy emulation though, as the lack of a good original Xbox emulator will attest to. Though I'm sure Microsoft could make nearly every original Xbox game playable now, as the Phantom Dust rerelease shows, but it would take work on a per title basis.
>>
>>379470309
List of 360-exclusives available with BC:

Assault Heroes 2
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Bomberman Live: Battlefest
Carcassonne
Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley
Commanders: Attack of the Genos
Doritos Crash Course
Fable II
Forza Horizon
Frogger 2
FunTown Mahjong
Gears of War 3
Gears of War: Judgment
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
Gin Rummy
Go! Go! Break Steady
Golf: Tee It Up!
Halo: Reach
Harms Way
Hexic 2
Jetpac Refuelled
Joy Ride Turbo
Kameo
Lazy Raiders
Mr. Driller online
Mutant Storm Empire
Omega Five
Perfect Dark (2010)
Perfect Dark Zero
Pinball FX
Raskulls
Scrap Metal
Shadow Assault: Tenchu
Shred Nebula
Small Arms
Soltrio Solitaire
Texas Hold 'em
Viva PiƱata: Trouble in Paradise
Word Puzzle

That's 17.3%.
>Wooooooow! Why is noone using backwards compatibility?
>>
File: PS4.png (252KB, 1433x577px) Image search: [Google]
PS4.png
252KB, 1433x577px
>>379475886
XBone arch is much closer to 360 than PS4 to PS3.
This allowed Microsoft to actually emulate hardware layer of X360 and get BC that way.
For PS4, it would be impossible to emulate PS3 hardware layer. I mean, it is possible to emulate but would require much more power than PS4 is able to provide. So the best bet for PS3 """BC""" would eventually be emulating it on a really powerful PC.

Basically
>X360 - architecture close (sort of) to PC.
>XBone - architecture close (sort of) to PC, also close to its predecessor

>PS3 - really weird, unique architecture. Not even remotely resembling anything else.
>PS4 - half of a PC spliced with ARM SoC device
Sony learned something from PS3 design and did not attempt batshit crazy thing like that again (sort of, pic - PS4 is basically 2 separate systems connected together via PCIe which isn't great either, but still much better than that clusterfuck that PS3 was).
>>
>>379476480
>as the lack of a good original Xbox emulator will attest to
That's mostly down to lack of documentation, which would obviously not be an issue for Microsoft.
>>
>>379477139
Yeah, if any of that stuff ever got leaked, I bet we'd see some real progress. Until then, I keep trying to badger Microsoft into releasing Metal Wolf Chaos somehow.
>>
>the average user
You have to account for the mass of people who exclusively use Xbox for the same 5 multiplat games and Netflix. If they want to pander to those people and ignore features for everyone else they can, but they'll be repeating their past mistakes and I'll enjoy watching them get shat on by the press the next time they present an E3 that's full of no exclusives and a ton of SPORTS SPORTS TV TV NETFLIX NETFLIX
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.