[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there no skill based mmo's? Like if a level 1 is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1495615424494.jpg (524KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1495615424494.jpg
524KB, 3840x2160px
Why are there no skill based mmo's? Like if a level 1 is mechanically a master at the game he should be able to kill someone at cap level.
>>
need to make it impossible to win challenges above your level to keep people clicking
>>
Because the whole point of an mmo is the grind and character progress
You remove that and you don't have a game anon
>>
cant make a skill based MMO when you also have to think about Americans and their awful internet connections.
>>
>>379470213
Maybe a certain type of MMO, but not all of them. Maybe being a higher level should just give you access to better gear, not add shit like chance to dodge or healing per second. Like of course the level 1 isn't going to hit anywhere close to as hard as the level capped player but if he were a master and the level capped player was just "good" than he could still kill him. It would just take long, not extremely long like WoW.
>>
>>379469912
MMO's grind are the anti-thesis to skill.
>>
>>379469912
gw2 was kind of like that, in that everyone can easily get the best gear at level cap, but dodging is so more important than stats that people cleared raids using extremely low quality gear
as for if it's challenging or not that's a different debate
>>
>>379469912
BDO would be if you could actually hit higher level targets
>>
>>379469912
There should be no caps at all, yet still have some level of skill, so it's really tough to get high high level but not impossible with skill and grinding combined. The great players should get to get their own in game shrines and levels and be added to the lore and be allowed to make their own storylines.
>>
>>379469912
Because MMOs are typically designed to maximize the player's time and money spent on their game and minimize the time and money spent on other games. In order to reach as many people as possible, they are made simplistic and trivial so that anyone can play and sink money into it. They're often so mundane that they're boiled down to fancy chat rooms. The core philosophy that they want to invoke in someone is "Well I only play X Online, so if I spend $50 in microtransactions for it and have spent more time in X Online than a game I could have spent $50 on, it's okay" despite $50 going much further in a standalone title than some freemium "free to play" game. MMOs are almost always predatory, and don't make for a quality experience or use of your time if you enjoy videogames.
>>
Monster Hunter Frontier is the closest thing to a skill based MMO. You still need good gear to get good times though.
>>
>>379469912
Because people arent retarded and the max level will hit you back also stop pretending like youre the best player in the world your average not even above average.
>>
Because why the fuck even stick to level system then?
>>
File: 1473696239508.jpg (840KB, 1172x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1473696239508.jpg
840KB, 1172x1600px
>>379470712
I like this idea. Maybe no levels at all instead of grinding mobs you go exploring in the map for rare mobs that have good gear. These mobs are extremely hard to kill, akin to NGB or Dark Souls bosses in difficult, like in a mechanically skilled difficulty wise, not numbers wise. Requiring doding, timing, and aiming to kill. I like the idea of a mmo with no story thats completely crafted by the true masters of the game. Sounds fucking awesome.
>>
Last game that was like this was Guild Wars.

You hit the lvl 20 cap in a day and then just unlocked skills and tried winning combinations.
>>
>>379469912
gloria victis.
>>
>>379470617
>>379470959
>>379470637
correct answers. Gear and level still matters, but not as much as skill does.
>>
>>379470891
This is really interesting. Too bad there's no company with enough money and talent to put this into action without also filling it with micro transaction jewiness.
>>
MMOs are glorified chatrooms for people who like LOTR/Star Wars/etc.
They are never actually about their gameplay
>>
>>379470959
Getting to 20 in GW was more like finishing the tutorial and it was all about your build and skill after that. Though it did become Buildwars sometimes.
>>
>>379469912

Go play Guild wars 1. Its' about the closest thing I can think of.

Sure, you didn't have access to all the skills until you progressed through the game...

But your skills were just as strong in pvp content. Unlocking elite signets and skills was more about specific builds or strategies than it was blatantly overpowering yourself.

God i miss gw1 sometimes. That arena based pvp. The ascent of heroes or whatever. All that shit. Such good 4v4. Such good pvp. So thoughtful.
>>
OP obviously doesn't know how MMOs work
>>
>>379469912
Latency
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.