[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why have Japanese production values fallen behind when compared

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: .webm (1010KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
.webm
1010KB, 1280x720px
Why have Japanese production values fallen behind when compared to the west?
>>
Because production values cost money and to recoup that investment you need to pump even more money into advertising. Japanese companies don't feel the need to spend 300 million dollars on one game.
>>
Yea, where are the shitty grass textures and jpg.s?
Step up your game japs!
>>
Japan has much smaller profit margins on most video games than the west. The only companies that can actually afford these production values are the ones who have established them as part of their image (IE, Square Enix's obsession with top end graphics and in-house engines), or appealing to sales from the west.
>>
The Japanese market is much smaller
>>
>>379466302
>fallen

I don't think so. You just associate production values with graphics seeing as that's the main thing a game can sell to a mainstream audience.
>>
>>379466302
If you target niche audiences you budget accordingly.
>>
the game looks fine you mong
>>
Japan mostly makes games for Japan
or Asia as a whole
so the market is smaller
>>
Looks fine to me. Western games target normies and end up needing like 5 million copies sold to break even.
>>
The Yakuza games have always been "budget," recycling animations and environments. They look good for what they are, but they have never been AAA by any standard
>>
>>379466302
Because they know having good GAMEPLAY is more important
>>
>>379468557
Gooks can only do very videogamey games. If you're not mashing buttons to get a high score/rank or the lowest time than it's probably a very mediocre game.
There's some notable outliers like Metal Gear Solid or JRPGs though.
>>
>>379466302
Because they make fun gmaes instead
>>
>>379468687
Compared to western games which do everything for you, you're only expected to point in a general direction and critical thinking is useless.
>>
>>379468557

About as many Jap devs value gameplay as western devs. The only real difference is in the west they want games to be like movies and in Japan they want them to be like anime.

If anything, Japan was the first to value flashiness over gameplay and cutscenes, cutscenes and more cutscenes by a very large margin.
>>
File: 1420850923311.jpg (97KB, 424x620px) Image search: [Google]
1420850923311.jpg
97KB, 424x620px
The demand for higher production values is what killed AAA gaming creatively.

The insane costs forces the game industry to play it incredibly safe and appeal to the lowest common denominator. This is the main reason gaming went to shit last gen.
>>
>>379466302
Because people are getting real sick of Nintendo and JRPGs
>>
because gameplay is more important
its why i hate horizon so much
all glitter and no substance
>>
>>379466972

All videogame audiences are mainstream.

Niche stopped existing in the nineties.
>>
File: image.jpg (217KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217KB, 1920x1080px
>Japanese don't usually game on PC besides 2hu and VNs
>That means they develop for consoles
>that means worse graphics than western where PC matters
>>
>>379466302
They realize video games are not Hollywood blockbuster movies
>>
>>379469043
There's a ton of Japanese games with godawful gameplay though.
OP's pic for one, the combat is almost entirely based around hitting the same three or four combos until your super meter fills up.
>>
>>379469250
Just waiting for Shill Spencer to get on stage during E3 and scream BLOCKBUSTER GAMES from the top of his lungs.

I hate Xbox so much. It represents everything that's wrong with the industry right now.
>>
Anybody Japanese in this thread right now?
>>
>>379469608
>whst is the musou genre
>>
>>379469797
Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama. I’m a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series). I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day. I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%. When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer! I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond. Wish me luck in Japan!
>>
>>379466302
That looks pretty good to me. What's the problem?
>>
>>379466302

Because they don't need "video game that has more marketing budget than development budget" level production values.
>>
File: westaboo.jpg (22KB, 300x246px) Image search: [Google]
westaboo.jpg
22KB, 300x246px
>>379471497
>>
>>379469797
If you want to talk to actual Japanese you'll find them in /int/. They're fun folk, and bring an air of 2chan along with them.
>>
>hating on Yakuza 0

Shut the fuck up you fucking queef.
>>
File: X2nhie0.jpg (271KB, 1476x2000px) Image search: [Google]
X2nhie0.jpg
271KB, 1476x2000px
>>379466972
They did fall. Look at Final Fantasy for definitive evidence.

Or any Japanese game basically, they're mostly phone games now or just look awful.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.