[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the game that pushed you over the edge? The game that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: quote_casey_hudson.jpg (535KB, 2500x1041px) Image search: [Google]
quote_casey_hudson.jpg
535KB, 2500x1041px
What was the game that pushed you over the edge? The game that destroyed your faith in your favorite studio. The game that made you curse everyone involved. The game that made you the cynic you are today.
For me it was, most recently, Destiny, but before that it was Mass Effect 3 and BioShock: Infinite.
>>
File: 1475369202184.jpg (83KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1475369202184.jpg
83KB, 768x1024px
Never was THAT drastic, but I think the two games that gradually made me so much more cautious and cynical about game industry were Oblivion and Fallout 3.
I was still kinda in denial when it came to Oblivion: I played it for two weeks (when previously I've spent around two years going back and fooling around in Morrowind) but I still was not able or willing to formulate why is it.

Fallout 3, the sequel to my other all time favorite RPG franchise, was what made me just look at it and say: "OK, no. This is not good. This is utterly wrong. And here is why:.."
It's what made me be analytical about games and what made me just approach every next game, no matter how much I loved the developer or the previous work in the franchise, pre-emtively assuming that it's not going to be good.

So yeah, Bethesda taught me to not trust videogame-related dreams and wishes.
>>
File: 1493093512458.png (210KB, 556x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493093512458.png
210KB, 556x720px
>>379402904
MGSV turned me into the cynic I am today.
>>
File: Vampiric_Bite_(large).jpg (23KB, 248x248px) Image search: [Google]
Vampiric_Bite_(large).jpg
23KB, 248x248px
Guild Wars 2

I am a husk now, awaiting death.
>>
>>379402904
>>379403860
God you people are so fucking new it actually hurts.
>>
>>379403305
Oblivion and Fallout 3 was also the start of RPGs becoming a mainstream genre and has doomed every RPG since to mediocrity and streamlining to cater to the wider audience.
>>
>>379402904
Spore
Portal 2
Uncharted 1
>>
File: 1433452967890.jpg (159KB, 908x812px) Image search: [Google]
1433452967890.jpg
159KB, 908x812px
>>379402904
WoW: Cataclysm
Dawn of War 3
>>
>>379404126
/v/ literally doubled in daily users last year anon.

We're a dying breed.
>>
>>379404196
There have been a few decent RPG's since then. Inquisitor, DA:O, Risen, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun, Pillars, all of those were at least... passable. New Vegas was almost great. Dragon Dogma was at least trying something interesting. Bastion (if you count that) was cute. There were some small projects like Grimrock which were neat.

I think that honestly, Bioware did unwillingly more damage than Bethesda did. Bethesda, I curse them because they completely monopolized and then KILLED what I always though to be potentially the most interesting genre in the entire industry while simultanously killing both of my favorite RPG IP's.

Bioware I would blame for general popularization of RPG's as the new bro-gamer genre full of retarded logic, waifu-faggotry and really really shallow frameworks. As much as I love TW series for many things, I think it too fell victim to the Biowarezation of RPG's.
>>
>>379403954
>Guild Wars 2
Eh, not that big a deal.

There's some fantastic decisions they made with quest organizing, crafting, side activities, and dungeons. Technically it was outstanding, with inline updating and great performance even with loads of players in RvR.

They did fuck up the story and had some weird choices in how skills were used. Monetization became bonkers after the game went F2P. Balance issues and socially unfeasible quest chains all over the place.

I'm more interested what ANet will do with their next project. If they have a fresh start, will they learn the right lessons from GW2? If not, then I agree you with.
>>
>>379404461
>We're a dying breed.
Yeah. I feel like a dying breed here for five years already, but things are gaining momentum these days. Damn I fucking wish I could kick my fucking addiction to this place: it has not been worth the time for a while.
>>
>>379404935
>I'm more interested what ANet will do with their next project. If they have a fresh start, will they learn the right lessons from GW2? If not, then I agree you with.
Holy shit kill yourself.

>theme park MMO
>always a stronger armor design ruining the perfect balance the first game had
>creative design given to a bunch of actual transsexuals and tumblrites
>removed GvG, promised to add it and then never did
>WvW was buggy as shit, literally hackable somehow
>crafting is probably one of the worst crafting systems I've ever seen, it's just a dumb money sink for no benefit except to make your leggos
>every class dumbed down because of weapon slots, healing slots and elite slots
>major gamebreaking bugs on release like the final boss not actually working which persisted for almost a year
>going from 140 skills per class to like 30
>every skill being some variation of "just do some damage" because they removed hexes, stances and enchantments
The gameplay was hollow, the story was literally tumblr tier, and almost the entire anet staff was replaced before and after the game was released so it wouldn't matter even if some of them learned a lesson.
>>
when world at war received boundless praise for piggybacking on modern warfare's success by including a gimmicky zombies mode and the world went nuts. that bothered me a lot.

on a personal note, skyrim. it was fine when it came out, but now i see just how shallow that game is. along with fallout. morrowind was my favourite game of all time, but bethesda is absolutely dead to me now.
>>
>>379405794
>the entire anet staff was replaced before and after the game was released
If your faith in ANet was destroyed by GW2, but you say there's at least three different incarnations of ANet over the course of GW2, why hold a grudge against the name when all the people are different?

>creative design given to a bunch of actual transsexuals and tumblrites
>the story was literally tumblr tier
As I said, they fucked up the story. More important than Tumblrisms is how Trahearne eclipsed the player, violating the unholy alliance of player and developer. There's points of decency in the charr and asura internal politicking, but those were never expanded upon. Living World was a clusterfuck which they excused with an insane antagonist.

>going from 140 skills per class to like 30
>they removed hexes, stances and enchantments
I'm not going to count all the cross-class skills from GW1 for you, nor count all the debuffs in GW2.

>theme park MMO
What's the alternative - EVE? Guided experiences have their place, and there should be no shame in a well-designed guided experience.

>crafting is probably one of the worst crafting systems I've ever seen
Go check out some other crafting systems. GW2's had some smart decisions with acceleration on batch crafting, a strong player market, and per-step expenses which allowed fine tuning of profitability.
>>
>>379402904
Smash Bros Brawl
>>
>>379407201
>If your faith in ANet was destroyed by GW2, but you say there's at least three different incarnations of ANet
I don't see how that's a contradiction.

>I'm not going to count all the cross-class skills from GW1 for you, nor count all the debuffs in GW2.
It still hyper-simplifies builds and combat. Not only are they significantly fewer, but there is also less variety due to the removal of most types of skills as well as forced skill types from weapons, healing and elite.

>Go check out some other crafting systems. GW2's had some smart decisions with acceleration on batch crafting, a strong player market, and per-step expenses which allowed fine tuning of profitability.
No one bought player-crafted goods though because there was never a reason to.
>>
>>379402904
Dota 2

It, along with CSGO, has eroded Valve's impetus to create meaningful and substantial content.
Just as well, more and more clueless newcomers play that shitheap of game mechanics and unironically call it good design whilst being totally ignorant of the mod's origin and history.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.