[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Instead of a console war thread, let's have a generation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: [email protected] (484KB, 1000x3600px) Image search: [Google]
console_gens@1x.png
484KB, 1000x3600px
Instead of a console war thread, let's have a generation war thread. Considering only the games released during the era (and not other factors like the state of the industry), which gen of vidya was the best? List 'em and tell us why.

Here's my personal ranking. inb4 I'm called underage
>Sixth Gen
>Fifth Gen
>Seventh Gen
>Eighth Gen
>Fourth Gen
>Third Gen

Sixth and fifth gen include the libraries that have personally influenced my overall taste in vidya, mainly because I think it was the perfect spot in the games industry where development costs weren't super expensive, but they had more freedom than they'd ever previously had. The next three were a toss-up, mainly because I like a lot of games from all three gens, but I ended up basing it around year of a game's original release, instead of its international one. I realize that putting fourth and third gens at the bottom is going to get me labelled as an underage, but I'd like to clarify that I still like a lot of games from these eras. (Super Mario Bros. 3, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, DKC2, etc.) I guess just not as much as other games. So, let's hear /v/'s opinion.
>>
>>379397860
>starting at 3rd Gen
Fucking plebs.
>>
6th Gen > 5th Gen > 4th Gen > 7th Gen > 8th Gen >3rd Gen
>>
>>379397860
The order goes

Technological advancements matched quality forward. Means better tech is newer that the older tech
>>
>>379397949
I dunno dude, I can't think of too many people that would list first or second gen as their favorites. Do we have any hardcore Atari 2600 fans here on /v/?
>>
>>379398110
Magnavox Odyssey or nothing.
>>
>>379398110
Prolly have to go to /vr/ for that
>>
>>379397860
6 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 7 > 8
>>
>>379398019
swap 8th with 3rd and its perfect
>>
File: 1444751607819.png (141KB, 519x424px) Image search: [Google]
1444751607819.png
141KB, 519x424px
>ITT 90s kids whos first console was ps2.
Kill yourselves nostalgia cucks.
>>
>>379398107
So can I take it that you think that newer games are always better than older games. Do you think that the newest shooters (Titanfall, Overwatch, Battlefield 1) are better than older shooters? (Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament)
>>
6th was the best. 8th is shaping up to be much better than 7th
>>
>>379398856
6th gen had 4 consoles actually trying. Every other gen there only 2 consoles competing or 2 consoles and a handheld
>>
>>379398856
But it was the best console. Graphics that looked good but not so good that devs could completely rely on them to sell a game.
>>
>>379398856
OP here. Actually, my first console was the SNES. Then I got a PS1, then N64, then Gamecube, THEN PS2. Funny, because I get a lot of people who grew up with the SNES regard it as their favorite console. I had a pretty crap library though, where the only good games I had were DKC2, Super Mario World, and Super Mario All-Stars. Everything else was stuff like Tecmo Bowl, Pacman 2, and a ton of licensed games (X-Men, Speedy Gonzalez, Tom & Jerry, etc.) Didn't play any good SNES games until about five years ago, and by then, my taste had waned quite a bit.
>>
>>379397860
>3rd was only good for NES
>4th was great
>5th was fucking great
>6th was the last good gen
>7th was kinda good, kinda bad.
>8th gen the worst gen of all time
>>
>>379399927
Fuck off nintenbro. Master System was great and kicked the NES.
>>
>>379397860
>fourth and third gen in last
underage please go
>>
>>379401798
Well, I called it.
>>
>>379397860
6th
7th
5th
8th
4th
3rd

I've been replaying the older gens recently and they're short as fuck once you git gud.
>>
If you were stuck in one gen for the rest of your life, what would it be?
>>
4th/6th
3rd/5th

7th
8th
>>
>>379402490
6th
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.