[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's face it: BoTW is overrated as fuck. Yes, it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9

File: BoTW.jpg (12KB, 176x286px) Image search: [Google]
BoTW.jpg
12KB, 176x286px
Let's face it: BoTW is overrated as fuck.

Yes, it's an above average game, but calling it a masterpiece is just plain stupid. But then again, maybe people love to get one hit killed at the start of the game and having weapons that break after two hits.

I would give this game maybe a 8.5/10 or something.
>>
They need to go back to dungeons with unique bosses and items like the hookshot with unbreakable weapons
>>
>>379369006
The fanboys would cry.
>>
Agreed. It was a good game but it's barely a Zelda game, after the honeymoon phase wears off it's just the same thing over and over again, also might just be the least replayable Zelda of all time.

>>379369006
They're never going back there unfortunately since normies gobbled up BoTW so hard
>>
I enjoyed it because it was nice not having to go through long ass dull dungeons.

Also weapons are meant to be used up and broke. You should be breaking shields all the time by surfing down hills and mountains.

Nothing worse than hoarding.
>>
>>379368838
there are plenty of reasons why it's not a masterpiece, but if your main complaint is that the beginning is too hard you need to get fucking good
>>
>>379368838
BOTW lasted me longer than any other single player game in the last 10-or-so years. I think Morrowind was the last single player game which lasted me as long as BOTW did on my first playthrough. It's certainly not a perfect game, the rain is bullshit, but BOTW still shits all over every thing else I've played in a very long time.

I doubt anyone could name an open-world game which is more fun, for a larger amount of time, than BOTW.
>>
>>379368838
>one hit killed at the start of the game

That's not even the main problem, the actual problem is that the difficulty falls off a cliff. So at the start of the game you have enemies that can 1 hit kill you but once you start stocking up on food, upgrade your armor, obtain Mipha's Grace, have semi-decent weapons, etc, the game becomes easy mode. And the enemy variety is non-existent so once you figure out how Lynels work (which doesn't take long) you've basically mastered the combat.

And no, players should not have to intentionally cripple themselves to be challenged, that's just shit game design.
>>
File: S5dRnWO.jpg (632KB, 1054x720px) Image search: [Google]
S5dRnWO.jpg
632KB, 1054x720px
>>379368838
>>
>>379368838
>BoTW is overrated as fuck.
No
>calling it a masterpiece is just plain stupid
No
>>
>>379369412
>once you get better the game gets easier
stop the presses
>>
How many of these threads must be made
>>
>>379368838
Are you still crying?
>>
Zelda in general is overrated as fuck now.
>>
File: 1495686263260.jpg (503KB, 1690x832px) Image search: [Google]
1495686263260.jpg
503KB, 1690x832px
>>379369720

The sonyfan salt is real.
>>
>>379369412
Yeah it's a game about going from a doofus in your underpants to a complete master of the wilds. First lynel you see you sneak past to steal a few arrows, then fifty hours later you have his entire species marked on your map and you go on regular extermination runs. Different games need different difficulty curves, BotW has an inverted difficulty curve for a reason.
>>
Eight point five !?!?!

I'm fucking kill you OP
>>
It's the only game worth playing on the switch so it HAS to be amazing.

You'll see the same thing with mario odyssey soon....claims that it is the best 3D mario and 9.5/10's everywhere.
>>
File: tmp_6673-1436316332574694342205.png (327KB, 427x400px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6673-1436316332574694342205.png
327KB, 427x400px
>>379369412
>So at the start of the game you have enemies that can 1 hit kill you but once you start stocking up on food, upgrade your armor, obtain Mipha's Grace, have semi-decent weapons, etc, the game becomes easy mode

Yeah no shit the game gets easier after dozens of fucking hours and going out of your way to make it a breeze.
>>
>>379369720
I'm tired of fags like you constantly saying "How many of these threads must be made". You're probably thinking that you're hot shit or something right now.
>>
File: 1493462305266.jpg (111KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
1493462305266.jpg
111KB, 700x913px
>>
>>379370642
BoTW: Final boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cj2QB1gZpE
>>
>>379371958
Yeah, you're so cool right now.
>>
>>379371958
Shouldn't that be Horizon not BotW?
>>
>>379369412
>Players should not have to intentionally cripple themselves
It's not intentionally crippling yourself to not use every single optional upgrade to make the game easier. It gives you the option to turn Mipha's Grace off and sell your hearts for a reason, anon
>>
If you stop playing zelda after four hours you might come away from it that it was a really good and well made game but if you play for any longer you'll realize it has the depth of a puddle and the challenge of fighting an infant
>>
>>379372537
There isn't even a thread about Horizon on the entire board right now, so no.
>>
>>379369709
normally games have a difficulty curve so that when you're better at the game you're fighting new and stronger enemies with more complex and interesting attack sets (of course zelda can't do this because you can count all the enemies on one hand)
>>
>>379368838
git gud op, breakable weapons make you have to adjust to your opponent instead of blindly swinging.
if you keep dying, well you suck.
>>
>>379368838
Wow, (you) know, I just never, I never really thought about it like that.

Almost every popular thing is overrated retard, you aren't special for realizing BotW isn't a 10/10 masterpiece and is just a good game.
>>
>>379369006
Hookshot would defeat the purpose of climbing which is a huge part of the game. Never post suggestions on designing a game here ever again
>>
>>379368838
Let's face it: every single Sony exclusive is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>379369412
How is making the game more challenging for yourself any different than selecting "Very Hard" in other games? In both instance, you are intentionally "crippling yourself."
>>
>>379373242
>normally

It's been standard fare since the mid-late '90s for adventure themed games to get gradually easier because a lot of meat in the game is finding ways to upgrade your character. Look at SotN, Final Fantasy, et al.

This has been true for Zelda since the very beginning. You have the least health at the beginning of the game so obviously it poses more of a challenge.
>>
You people realize you're like toddlers with their fingers in their ears screaming, right?

BotW was one of the most critically acclaimed games in the history of the industry. If the review scores don't matter to you because they're opinions, then why do your opinions suddenly become objective fact?
>>
>>379369006
>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I WANT MORE OOT REHASHES!

Fuck off
>>
>>379368838
>calling it a masterpiece is just plain stupid
It's just an opinion
>>
>>379373280
>Hookshot would defeat the purpose of climbing which is a huge part of the game.

Because the bird champion power doesn't already do this?
In fact you can even use it to chese stuff you normally can't climb, like parts of other Divine Beast interiors.

Hookshot would be balanced if they make it only attack to certain surfactes, like it was in every other game in the series, and then put trees/posts/ect at the top of cliffs where it was meant to be used
Like how currently in BotW, waterfalls are very specifically placed because of the interaction with the Zora armor set.
>>
>>379373323
I didn't even say anything about Sony you senile fuck!
>>
>>379368838
WEAPON DURABILITY
>>
Let's face it: BB is overrated as fuck.

Yes, it's an above average game, but calling it a masterpiece is just plain stupid. But then again, maybe people love to get one hit killed at the start of the game and having weapons that break after two hits.

I would give this game maybe a 8.5/10 or something.
>>
>>379373481
Let's face it: you just want the Hookshot back because of muh nostalgia, not because it actually would be useful in a game like BotW.
>>
>>379368838
Maybe its a bit overrated, but you can't deny it being the best Zelda game there is.
>>
Let's face it: You're all fags.
>>
>>379373614
It's more of a person to person kinda thing. BoTW is for example NOT my favourite Zelda game.
>>
>>379373423
Shut up nintendog, I'm right and your wrong
>>
File: Yx0OKKmKThpocTBVOLiNeyuj.jpg (377KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Yx0OKKmKThpocTBVOLiNeyuj.jpg
377KB, 1500x1000px
>>379373626
Yeah, so?
>>
>>379373423
Because this is the internet and we do whatever we want biatch!
>>
>>379373576
In spite of the fact that the game allows you to place 100 fucking pins on the map for remembering places, it doesn't actually have a lot of content that makes you say "I'll come back to this later" mostly because you have almost all your tools right from the get go.
This works a little against the sense of progression, as you hardly every gain the ability to complete additional challenges you couldn't complete before.

I understand why the main dungeons are set up this way, having additional requirements other than the things you acquire on the plateau would go against the open approach to story progression.
However, lock and key type scenarios do exist in the game, like the shrine that requires you find the Ceremonial Trident first, the one that requires the Camera, or the springs that need dragon scales.

So basically the hookshot could both provide exploration ability progression (which the game largely lacks outside of the stamina upgrades and Zora armor) and also could be some interesting combat utility. Stealing wooden weapons out of enemy hands maybe? Getting enemy drops without actually dispatching them first? There's good gameplay possibilities.
>>
B8 thred, but it is becoming more and more apparent that modern kids suck at vidya and succ cock.

No weapon breaks with two hits.
I carry two dozen high end Reliability+ weapons already in my game, and I have only done ONE main story quest line so far.

And if you actually play the game, you can get unbreakable gear.
>>
>>379373254
>breakable weapons make you have to adjust to your opponent instead of blindly swinging.
>Zeldafags actually believe this
They're a shitty attempt to force 'variety' and to let Nintendo litter the world with them so it didn't feel so empty.
>>
>>379373574
>But then again, maybe people love to get one hit killed at the start of the game and having weapons that break after two hits.
>weapons breaking in two hits
>in BB
You retards do understand that people criticizing aren't necessarily shilling another console, yes?
>>
>>379374684
Is he wrong? His statement is quite literally true
>>
>/v/ is still upset over botw
Lmaoo
>>
>>379374894
>Is he wrong?
Yes, the overwhelming majority of weapons are functionally identical, forcing you to switch between them doesn't change the fact you're using them to smack enemies.
>>
>>379374894
Except that's not how the weapon durability works, you don't lost it per swing, you lose it per hit.

Blindly swinging in fact works, and the durability system doesn't do much to turn it into an unattractive strategy.
Especially because of how you can break guards by whacking a shield a few times.
If guard breaks weren't easy you might have a point.
>>
>Can't make any critique due to fanboyism
>>
>>379373242
Most rpgs fail to achieve this all the way through and get easier in the late game
>>
File: 1493707996415.png (20KB, 315x274px) Image search: [Google]
1493707996415.png
20KB, 315x274px
>call any other game a masterpiece
>people understand it's your opinion
>call BotW a masterpiece
>"ACKCHUALLY"

I'm not saying BotW is my favorite game or anything, it's not, but why do people chimp out 100% of the time when some says something positive about it? I've never seen this with any other game on this scale.
>>
>>379375246
In RPGs, and many other story driven games, there existing an easy out (such as level grinding in RPG's case, where the developer could easily implement a level cap per area) is generally done that way by design.

It gives poor players who what to see the conclusion to the story an avenue for doing so.
If the game got tougher as you went then people my drop it out of frustration, never seeing the plot unfold.
Considering that we know from achievement statistics that large %s of people already never complete the games they start, giving them more reason to drop them isn't ideal when you're trying to tell a complete narrative.

Not saying the BotW has a riveting or surprising conclusion here, just explaining why the effect happens in so many RPGs.
>>
>>379372537
>brought up once in a span of 2 weeks by people who want to talk about it and the threads never archive
sure
>>
>>379368838
To me, it's a 7 at very best.
The exploration is the less rewarding experience I've ever had compared to games like Skyrim or Xenoblade Chronicles/X.
There is no challenge whatsoever.
There are no quick access menus anywhere which breaks the flow of the game all the time.
The puzzles are plain stupid.
For some reason, everyone has to remind you you're a special kid all the fucking time just because you're blond and blue eyed.
The game is so wide and shallow that it is easy to lose interest.

People cream themselves over small references that hardly add anything to the game. And the game itself positive side is that it does nothing particularly wrong, it's just average in every aspect (except ambience -sfx and lighting- which is really, really good) but hey, it has "Zelda" in the title, so it is the game of this century.
>>
>>379369837
Are you guys this delusional? I've purchased every main zelda game since lttp and this shit was disappointing
>>
>>379375741
>compared to Skyrim
Disregarded.
>>
>>379374475
Fuck you, now I'm even madder that the hookshot isn't in the game
>>
>>379373481
Worth pointing out also that they limited the Master Sword to your heart containers, so there's no reason why they couldn't have made the Hookshot some mythical time-saving legendary tool that you only get if you've got over 80 shrines beaten, or something.
>>
>>379368838
Well in all honesty, most games are overrated. This one is within average levels of overratedness if you ask me, so I guess it's ok
>>
>>379375741
What are you even babbling about. Especially the reminder all the time part. It's literally fucking wrong. Did you even play the game?
>>
>>379375085
But if you blindly swing you'll hit nothing and run out
>>
>>379375838
>gets BTFO
>hehe delusional
Alright senpai
>>
>>379375938
>Disregarded.
*...until Skyrim comes out on the Switch when it will suddenly become the second best open world game ever behind BOTW because MUH ON THE GO and MUH MARIO REFERENCES.
>>
>>379375838
>this shit was disappointing
For you maybe, I had a fucking blast with it. Probably my favorite Zelda since Majora's Mask.
>>
Oh boy yet another edgy contrarian thread on how the world won't acknowledge anons special snowflake opinion. Hang in there brave anon! Give humans a few decades to catch up to you and your superior intellect, we will soon realize just how terribly inaccurate our estimate of the game's value really was. Will you forgive us when we do? :(
>>
>>379376563
If you hit nothing your weapons don't degrade except for rods.
>>
>>379377026
In fact you can even do things like light fires with flame weapons without using durability, by swigging above what you want to light instead of actually hitting it.
>>
>>379372537
Horizon threads are just BOTW threads waiting to happen
>>
>>379369242
I honestly think skyrim is better. Character customization just adds so much to open world games. Zelda needs to go full rpg
>>
>UGH THIS GAME IS JUST.....UGH I DON'T EVEN.....SO OVERRATED
Oh boy here we go again, maybe this dipshit has some valid points for a change
>*whining about early game shit and challenges that literal children can overcome*
Guess not.
>>
>>379375615
There are multiple games with zelda in the title that are better than botw but underage switch owners want to pretend like this is the holy grail of gaming and that's annoying
>>
>>379375615
>why do people chimp out 100% of the time when some says something positive about it?
consolewarfaggotry and/or jealousy. Imagine if /v/ was around when OoT came out, as that's basically what you're witnessing here.
>>
>>379373576
>open world game with huge mountains
>hookshot would not be useful
>>
>UUWAAAH THIS GAME IS NOT GOOD LISTEN TO MEEEEE
>>
Make the next game with more Zelda staples in mind like dungeons, items and bosses with a more linear last stretch and it will be everything Breath of the Wild was meant to be.

BotW is awesome but its exploration/discovery theme completely loses its meaning at the ending of the game.
>>
>>379373450
the sad thing is OOT rehashes are still better than BOTW to the point that even SS is starting to look good to people despite it being fucking awful
>>
>>379380112
top delusion m8
>>
>>379380080
I agree, although I don't want the old zelda dungeon formula to return, I don't think it'd fit at all with the BotW engine - instead, I'd like to see a mix of divine beast style dungeons and BotW hyrule castle style dungeons. I'd also like if they had more tools that you don't obtain right at the beginning of the game, but as a compromise said tools can perhaps only be used for optional (harder) areas? E.g. a hookshot weapon that's fairly rare and can be used to reach normally inaccessible areas within shrines/mini-dungeons that provide a higher challenge.
>>
>>379380149
better than falling for the open world meme
>>
>>379380392
so you're saying LoZ is shit?
good one.
>>
>>379380734
Not him, but I've played most of the 3D games and they're bland as shit to me. Maybe I might appreciate the series more if I experienced it when I was younger.
>>
>>379368838
Wind Waker is similar game done right, it is miles better than BotW simply because the game actually has (a few) themed dungeons and a better story. No durability system.
>>
BotW gets better as you increase your HP and Weapon slots.

Once you leave the tutorial zone it's a shitfest where you die to every enemy and have no room for anything.
>>
>>379381658
I was specifically referring to the original LoZ but okay.
>>
File: 1495568873544.gif (73KB, 205x274px) Image search: [Google]
1495568873544.gif
73KB, 205x274px
>>379368838
>tfw ywn be as salty over botw as this
>>
>>379380112
nah
>>
>>379381658
>Not him

go home, reddit!
>>
File: 1492093646200.jpg (79KB, 603x590px) Image search: [Google]
1492093646200.jpg
79KB, 603x590px
>>379373450
This is the kind of autistic logic that killed the series in the first place. You can stay true to the formula of a series without completely destroying the original design. BotW is literally more similar to an Elder Scrolls game than any Zelda game which came before it. That's not a good thing.
>>
>>379382509
no, BOTW is more similar to the original Zelda, you dork, you're just one of those cinematic experience autists
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.