[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck is this thing still getting games in 2017? I thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8

File: 1200px-Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.png (1MB, 1200x1088px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.png
1MB, 1200x1088px
Why the fuck is this thing still getting games in 2017?

I thought Iwata's whole fucking plan with the Switch was to finally get rid of the gap between console and handheld and just focus on one platform. So why the fuck are they keeping it on life support?
>>
kids can't afford the switch
>>
Large installbase
>>
>>379359112
>I thought Iwata's whole fucking plan with the Switch was to finally get rid of the gap between console and handheld and just focus on one platform.
That's just exactly what they wanted you to think. They wanted one of their consoles to be as successful as their handhelds. So they made you think it was one. Little did you know you bought a fucking Wii U 2.0

Enjoy your tablet. You'll be feeling pretty stupid when the 3DS 2 comes out
>>
>>379359112
Switch's success isn't guaranteed, so they're continuing to support the 3DS

Literally exactly what happened in the GBA/DS transition, that's why it's a 'transition'
>>
Because I can't carry a fucking switch in my pocket.
>>
>>379359112
I'd prefer they keep the 3DS alive. I don't want those fuckers at Nintendo to make move to the switch because all I care enough to play is Pokemon, but recently I feel like even Pokémon won't be enough to keep me with Nintendo.
>>
I'm convinced that Nintendo isn't sure how to go about killing it. Many of the 3DS devs probably don't have the capacity to make games for the Switch which requires a lot more work in the graphics department. Look at fucking Game freak, their highest profile 3DS dev, do they look like they are ready to make a full blown console game? No they aren't which is why they are giving SM a coat of paint and calling it a sequel.

Of course there's no real reason to kill it while it's still making money but at some point it's going to become a detriment to the Switch.
>>
>>379359967
>all I care enough to play is Pokemon
Even after the snoozefests that were X/Y and S/M?
>>
>>379359992
Inti Creates is probably way smaller than Game Freak and they've been supporting the Switch with a few games.
>>
>>379359992
Maybe they should...make a proper handheld? Woah
So glad the Switch cult doesn't have a say in what games get made.
>>
>>379359112
3ds for the autists

switch for the normies
>>
>>379359992
>at some point
It's already happening tbqh
Switch is sold out but that's very short term. People watching this trainwreck unfold are people who are planning on not jumping in when Nintendo needs everyone jumping in
>>
>>379360087
A proper handheld in current times would still be near Switch level graphics, maybe a bit less to get more battery.

That doesn't deal with how these small ass devs that get away with tiny budgets and terrible graphics will have to use those same tiny budgets to make hd graphics
>>
>>379360080
a few games that were already on 3ds. also don't compare a shit indie dev like mighty number inticreates to a god tier dev like game freak
>>
>>379356936
>>
>>379360504
>Gamefreak
>literally incapable of releasing any worthwhile game besides Pokémon
>Pokémon itself is just the same shit rehashed for ten years
>god tier
>>
>>379360467
>A proper handheld in current times would still be near Switch level graphics
Not by Nintendo standards. They progress very slowly. Switch makes sense as a home console. Its a few notches above the Wii U but still basically 2 generations behind the other guys. A Nintendo handheld that they'd sell for $150-200 would just be pretty much 3DS-tier graphics at maybe 480p or 540p tops

That's basically why I think them calling the Switch a console is right. To them it is. I wouldn't doubt at all them having another device in the works that's much more inline with what you'd expect from a Nintendo handheld
>>
>>379361032
I hope so.
Concerns with games being held back are valid, but there needs to be a proper successor first.
>>
>>379359112
why the fuck not?

the 3ds is still selling, why not support it?
>>
>>379359735
not yet
>>
>>379361032
It's almost like /v/ is more than 1 person
>>
>>379361269
Which is why I addressed both points, fucking retard.
>>
>>379361126
I'm starting to think supporting Nintendo was a mistake.
>>
>>379361126
Are you seriously saying that Nintendo should be allowed to sell a 420p screen on a gaming console in 2017+ when even fridges have higher res these days?
>>
>>379361073
>not changing something that is already perfect
not that i'd expect someone with the shittiest of taste to understand
>>
>>379360467
>grafix babby
kill yourself. nintendo produces video games, not interactive movies you 14 year old toddler
>>
File: 1300568674202.png (35KB, 471x385px) Image search: [Google]
1300568674202.png
35KB, 471x385px
>>379359112
It's just for marketing or they want to help the system a little more until the next ds system. + 3ds still has some life in it, and we don't want it to die yet that is.
>>379361073
Pokemon is the same stuff, why are gamers so ignorant that they are buying the same game but with a different paint job.
>Collect them all, battle 8 gym bosses, defeat the final boss, pick 1 out of 3.
>>379361126
Switch is a console/tablet. + Switch has 2-4 hours of battery by itself, gameboy had more than that
>>
>>379361268
once amerifats are all big enough, no pocket will be too small in burgerland
>>
>>379361450
i cant play botw on my fridge nor would i want to u autismoid
>>
>>379360504
>Game Freak
>god tier dev
Are we talking about the same Game Freak that gets major framerate problems with a solitaire game?
>>
>>379359112

The Switch came out 3 months ago. Have you never fucking seen how they transition to the next console?
>>
>>379359112
Is there going to be a 3DS successor or not?

The Switch looks like a piece of shit handheld replacement
>>
>>379362109
How can you not be looking forward to play 240p Sun and 5fps Moon?
>>
>>379361610
Pokemon has never been perfect. I've played every single mainline Pokemon game. Take off those nostalgiagoggles.
>>
File: Ever Oasis.png (61KB, 925x372px) Image search: [Google]
Ever Oasis.png
61KB, 925x372px
>>379359112
Because the Switch is a bastard. It's an underpowered console, but too big to be a good handheld.

Keep bitching about its success while I keep buying games for it while not picking up the Switch.
>>
You just need to see the trailer for Pokkén DX and UltraSunMoon to see what Nintendo thinks about the 2DS and the Switch. The adults played with the Switch while he kids had their own 2DS
>>
>>379362690
>Ever Oasis for the 3DS
>For kids
They literally took the best part about BotW (Tarrey Town) and made it even better.
>>
>Switch out for 3 months
>Thinking 3DS support was going to instantly drop

You know the PS3 and 360 was getting ports for a solid year after the PS4 and Xbone came out.
>>
>>379362769
Yeah. Meanwhile, the Wii U was dropped the day that the Switch launched. It wouldn't be surprising if they pulled that shit. It isn't unprecedented.
>>
>>379361697
The original 3DS had a battery life of 3 to 5 hours. That's not very different from the Switch's 2.5 to 6.5 hours.
>>
>>379362563
Yeah goy keep supporting a massively outdated console which is not even able to properly run games designed specifically for it.
>>
>>379362769
heck, even persona 5 and berseria are ps3 games
>>
>>379362828
The Switch has shoved out to put the WiiU out of its misery, anon. If it was going to keep getting support, they would've have had the Switch come out so soon.
>>
>>379362828
but on the other hand it has the switch's best and only game
>>
>>379362962
Don't care. I already bought the system, and they keep releasing games on it that I'm excited to play.

Between that and the Switch, with only a handful of games not available on the Wii U (which I also own), and none of that handful being anything I'm even remotely interested in, I'll pick up the game I want on the system I already own, rather than the system AND the game I don't want.
>>
>>379360467
No, Nintendo is going to make GameboyVita or VitaDS and they will release new pokemon there.
Face it, Switch owners are fucked. Everyone thought SW was indeed a succesor for 3ds, a fusion between markets. It is not.
>>
>>379363078
>I'm excited to play games
you are on the wrong board
>>
>>379362828
Well Production stopped on the Wii U back in November, BoTW was supposed to be have been released around that time but they delayed it to make improvements and make it a day 1 game for Switch.
So you could say Nintendo abandoned it before the Switch came out.
>>
File: cat.jpg (67KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
67KB, 500x334px
>>379363114
You can't be serious, you really think Nintendo is going to release another handheld to replace the 3DS even though the switch exists?
>>
>>379359685
the DS could play GBA games. the switch can't play DS games.
>>
>>379359112
How2hack 3ds
>>
>>379359112
Because I like handhelds that actually fit comfortably in my pocket. No payed online, $40 average game, because it's low powered it doesn't cater to modern fags who think best graphics matter. Also Switch came out like 3 months ago let's wait until the hipsters, scalpers, and spoiled kids to get there unit to prove if it's a worthwhile console or another gimmick gone wrong like the Wii.
>>
>>379363556
this was a really underrated feature, i used it all the time when the DS didn't have a ton of games because my GBA didn't have a backlight!
>>
>>379363520
youre overestimating Nintendo's decision making
>>
File: 1493248343381.jpg (26KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1493248343381.jpg
26KB, 600x450px
>>379359735
>Not wearing cargo pants to carry the switch and extra joy-cons with ease.
>>
>>379359112
>system prints money
>WHY DOES IT GET GAMES?
Gee anon, I dunno.
>>
File: tumblr_n4m2vmB7pI1rllf0lo1_400.gif (1MB, 280x393px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4m2vmB7pI1rllf0lo1_400.gif
1MB, 280x393px
>>379363870
>letting a game company determine what you wear
>>
File: 1496228655935.gif (640KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1496228655935.gif
640KB, 500x500px
Ever Oasis
Hey! Pikmin
Miitopia
Monster Hunter Stories
Monster Hunter Gen Ultimate
Culdcept Revolt
RPG Maker/Player
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
Etrian Odyssey V
Layton's Mystery Journey
Kirby's Blowout Blast
New Kirby Multiplayer Game
Yo-Kai Watch Psychic Specters
Fire Emblem Warriors
SMT Strange Journey Redux
Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology
Dragon Quest XI

Why is Nintendo allowing the Switch to be BTFO?
>>
>>379364118
Let's not forget the Kirby game for 3DS they haven't announced.
>>
>>379359112
>Buy Wii: Watch all major titles go to NDS
>Buy Wii U: Watch all major titles (Fire Emblem, Zelda remakes, Monster Hunter, Pokemon... )go to 3DS
>Buy Switch and expect different
This is why I didn't buy one. I got fooled twice by shitty gimmicks. Never again, Nintendo. They are the jews of the gaming world.
>>
>>379363740
Serious question for anyone with an answer. Maybe I am just not getting it but wouldn't combining the handheld market with the home console market be a bad decision. I mean having handhelds and home consoles always gave them something to fall back on if the other flopped. Also they can target 2 different audiences. Once they go full Switch they will have to make every future device a hybrid. I don't know maybe I just don't see something
>>
>>379364913
if you have 2 or more consoles and have the same franchise have games in all of those it'll make it more difficult for you to have dedicated customers since they'll feel jewed and will eventually drop the franchise

we joke about companies thinking only about money but thinking about what the customers think IS thinking about money
>>
>wanting support to just drop when a new console releases
Sony and Nintendo do it, but not third parties. It's pro-consumer. EO5 and 3U when?
>>
>>379364913
You're not incorrect, it's just that there's some extenuating circumstances that might be making Nintendo not see those problems as being as important as others. Consider this current console gen and the rise of mobiles, Nintendo is losing both in the living room and on the go. Mobile has decisively absorbed the most casual of handheld markets. Getting new games on the level of say SMT on the go isn't happening on mobiles, but that's still a big market loss for people who just want the shallower experiences. The 3DS has done well for itself despite that, but the future is still uncertain. The WiiU was fucking murdered these last 4 years and the console market has also decisively moved into a CoD-box direction. Nintendo's not really making it in either market these days, even if the Vita was even more brutally destroyed as well.

Consolidating the console right now has the benefit of not needing to have two hardware divisions during these leaner years. Either a home console or a handheld might be in bad shape, but with their combined Nintendo franchises a single console might be able to hold its own. I'm sure the lead R&D division is already looking ahead to where Nintendo should go next depending on how things work out now, but the Switch need not also be the be all, end all of the future Nintendo hardware. Maybe someday everything will be fully mobile. Maybe third parties will collapse and we're back to the first party killer app market. Who knows what wonders and horror the future might bring.
>>
>>379364913
>>379365705
Not that there's not other problems. Having two consoles was also typically a way to make the more dedicated customers buy two consoles from them, especially with all the cross play functionality that came up some times. But the Switch is still right now a safer option. Just through everything you have on it. Right now there seems to be little bitching outside of places like /v/ about it being too expensive for a handheld, despite how the 3DS and Vita launches worked out. And this is likely to be as expensive as it'll ever be, provided there's not some Swith Pro Scorpio some day.

It may end up being a real problem in the longer future, but for the immediate future, the one Nintendo really needed to address, it seems to be working fine.
>>
>>379364913
nintendo's handheld game (in japan especially) is just too strong to kill off. they won't do it because it is a bad decision from a financial standpoint, at least in the short term. just like the last 2 gens, however, the console will suffer for it. console will always be second fiddle for nintendo but maybe there are enough suckers out there to keep buying the hardware that they'll keep cranking 'em out.

people will make poorfag jokes but there are a lot of people who just aren't into handheld gaming and will feel cheated with each console, shrinking their share of the console market overall and over time.
>>
>>379359112
they will still promote it, so they can fall back on it to get profits if the switch crashes and burns
>>
>>379365868
Releasing a mainline Pokémon on it would have been exactly what they needed to prevent the Switch from crashing and burning.
>>
>>379359112
Because it's easy to develop for and is the largest current installment base, dwarfing even the PS4.

Why WOULDNT you put an appropriate game out on 3ds if you could? It's the smartest money.
>>
>>379367101
Yeah, if it was in danger of doing that any time before the end of this year. Which it hasn't been since launch. It's been increasingly unlikely since they actually revealed the damn thing to begin with. It's going to do fine this year, and then maybe next year they'll announce a Pokemon game for Fall 2018 to reignite the interest in the system from the holdouts again.
>>
>>379364416
>All major titles go to NDS
What? I own a NDS and don't remember this happening. Were Galaxy, TP, Prime 3 etc. not "major titles" on the Wii? What the fuck did the DS have for major titles? Mairo and Zelda, Metroid, FE, were all shit on the DS and great on the Wii. I remember (and still consider) the DS's strengths in its library to now-defunct franchises (like Castlevania or MegaMan) or niche titles like TWEWY or EO. Its better titles are almost exclusively AA or budget games. Only "major" release I can think of on the system were Pokemon titles, which have always been handheld titles. I'm genuinely curious because the DS is my favorite handheld and it sounds like I'm missing something big.
>>
>>379367402
There's already a console which can do everything the 3DS can (and more) and that also happens not to be horribly outdated to the point of getting fps drops on N64-tier games.
>>
>>379364416
But Switch is its own handheld counterpart.
>>
>>379363870
>still have to put it inside a case because it pocket friendly
>>
>>379363693
>those people who were retarded and broke their top screens, which they then turned into weird looking GBAs
I applaud their smarts but shit man take care of your systems
>>
>>379363870
>People make fun of people that wear cargo shorts
>But they're comfortable and easy to wear
>>
File: 1489276640901.gif (48KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489276640901.gif
48KB, 800x600px
>>379364118
>MHXX
>Coming to the US in 3DS format
lol
>>
>>379368490
Not like anyone with a brain would buy it on 3DS when you could have the definitive version with an actually good controller and improved graphics on Switch.
>>
>>379359992
Pretty simple.
They will release the (Ninten)Don't Switch: a smaller version of the switch without the capability to dock to the tv and the lack of joycons. They could cap the resolution to 540p, if 720p is too much for the hardware or the energy consumption.
Don't Switch by Ninten.
>>
>>379368778
Why not just make a screenless version of the switch that's just an affordable console with decent games?
>>
>why does the system with 60+ million people still get games sold on it

Gee I dunno? Games still sell so they'll want to keep making money as long as possible I guess.
>>
>>379359112
If the Switch is successful the 3ds is will slowly die, just like the gba did
Instantly killing a console isn't a good idea
>>
>>379359112
I think the Pokemon announcement proves that the Switch isn't a 3DS successor and we'll see a true one in perhaps a year.
>>
People are getting physically exhausted playing 3DS games in such terrible resolution and framerate. They just wanted ultra sun and moon to be muiltiplatform. 3DS fatigue is all over the place, dont expect to see complaints going anywhere anytime soon. Salty fans are the ones who make shit happen anyway.
>>
>>379363520
Yes, Nintendo, and other mayor companies need a cheap handheld to release their 2d/mobile tier games for 40 dollars.
>>
>>379370015
Like the New 2DS that's coming out soon?
>>
>>379367880
>MegaMan
>on DS
my nigga the DS MegaMan games are what killed the franchise because they bombed
>>
>>379369491
>why not just make the Nintendo PS4 One?
>>
>>379370665
So if Nintendo doesn't release a console with a gimmick, there's no point to owning one? You need portability, a second screen, and/or waggle, or else it isn't justified? The games won't stand on their own?
>>
>>379370721
nope
>>
>>379359112

Classic Nintendo
>>
>>379370775
>nope
"Nope," meaning I am correct with my questions?
>>
>>379359112
Iwata is dead, his plans faded into oblivion
>>
>>379370815

this
>>
>>379370859
nope meaning nope
>>
>>379368758
>buy
Switchfags are THIS dumb
>>379370721
People will cite the Gamecube, but that was 16 years ago when "mature games for mature gamers" was the big meme and Nintendo had a stigma attached to them. It's trendy to like Nintendo now, if they released a normal system up to par with the others with their big sellers confirmed (Pokemon, Smash Bros, Zelda, Wii Sports/Fit, Splatoon, Mario), third party support (Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Overwatch, CoD), and proper advertising (the biggest mistake they made with the Wii U), it would probably do well.
It'd also do us all a big favor and balance out the console competition, which is currently lopsided as fuck because the PS4 is selling twice as much as the Xboner while Nintendo is off doing their blue ocean bullshit instead of competing, which means Sony is uncontested and can do whatever they want which is horrible for everyone.
>>
>>379371204
Well, if you happen to think that Nintendo games would suck without a gimmick, I disagree. XCX would have been just as good without a second screen. Mario Kart Wii and 8, as well as Smash Brawl and Sm4sh were just fine without the 2nd screen or Wii mote.
>>
>>379359604
I don't understand this. You just saw the power of autism persuading people to purchase a $400+ console just to play one game - Breath of the Wild. Release a Pokemon game on the Switch that isn't fucking Pokken, Smash, or Fire Emblem and they'll it'll MOVE units. I fucking hate Nintendo games that aren't Pokemon and even I bought a Wii U (and later sold it) just for fucking Smash 4.
>>
>implying they're going to drop the 3DS now that there is literally zero competition in the handheld market
>>
>>379371260
>the biggest mistake they made was the Wii U
ftfy
>>
>>379371260
>Switchfags are THIS dumb
>literally playing the inferior version just because it's "free"
>>
>>379359112
Fuck your ass with a cactus op. Handheld + PC is the true master race. The only reason one should EVER accept less than the best performance is when you sacrifice for portability. Anything else is paying a fuckload of money for 10+ year old obsolete PC parts.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.