[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got the credits rolling as we speak. What did /v/ think of it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 23

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (94KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
94KB, 1280x720px
Got the credits rolling as we speak. What did /v/ think of it? Blew me away personally, I can't even think of any nitpicks against it really.
>>
Bump
Twist epilogue was mad gay
>>
>>379354938
>twist
We all those hints throughout the game not enough?
>>
>>379355083
I must have missed them. What were they?
>>
>>379355265
You remember those scenes where your character blackouts and hears Alex and other voices talking about 'it' and shit? Those are all scenes where you briefly waken from the simulation. Also numerous audio logs from both Morgan and other characters referring to the simulation tests and trying to teach empathy to the Typhon.
>>
>>379355265
those moments you touch coral or get knocked out in cinematics and hear Alex and other characters talking about 'it' breaking the simulation.
>>
And more flickers during the twist ending meaning you are still in a simulation.

Once they show you earth it is likely to see if the Typhon makes a quick empathetic decision. I bet earth is fine tho.
>>
>>379354938
>>379355083
>>379355265
>>379355265
>>379355458
>>379355519
>>379355774

Why start a thread if youre just going to fill it with spoilers?
>>
Combat is basic as fuck that the game has fuckall atmosphere. It would have been better if there were no NPCs at all.
>>
>>379355885
It's been a month, keep up.
>>
>>379355984

A month? Fuck you!
>>
its fun but if you even explore A LITTLE BIT you practically break the game. they really babied the casuals who rush through games.
>>
Best immerse sim since SS2.
>>
>>379356920
The game isn't very immersive at all. Bad writing and terrible scripting.
>>
If you kill January right away do you get to chill with December or does he die in some other stupid way?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (35KB, 1700x186px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
35KB, 1700x186px
It was actually a good game, /v/ is full of shit as always, although I can understand the intense disgust considering its lmaoBETHESDA publishing.
>>
bland, plastic-looking, FPS shit.

more of the same to be sold to normalfags.
>>
>>379356920
How is it immersive?
>>
>>379354297
my only problem with the game was that i didn't like how upfront about the twist it was when you do the escape pod

>>379355774
it's a bug, it doesn't happen every time.
>>
>>379357385
he appears later and contacts you over the radio
>>
>>379357234
>>379358000
I couldn't disagree more. I found that the wide open connected station kept me totally immersed compared to a game that jumps around.
The world building was immense and it was one of the few games that made me actually bother to read all the logs and listen to transcribes because it was really interesting. I liked how each section felt like a real workplace with a proper office layout. It doesn't feel as conveniently videogamey as something like Half Life 1, where there's usually only one way to solve each problem.
>>
>>379354297
It was good, it's like a returned to mid 00s. And obviously casuals do not understand it at all.
>>
>>379358213
>kept me totally immersed compared to a game that jumps around

Obviously when you have to qualify it like that. That's retarded. "This game that's meant to be immersive is more immersive than a game that isn't designed to be immersive." Do you realize how dumb you sound?
>>
>>379358359
What exactly is wrong with that statement though? Please don't get emotional I just want to discuss the game.
>>
>>379358448
I explained what is wrong with it. What garbage reading comprehension you have.

Let me guess: American?
>>
File: prey[1].jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
prey[1].jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>have to do a special sidequest to get an awful weapon
wew lad
>>
>>379358618

Oh look its a faggot from

>some other country

acting superior. Shocking! Hey faggot, you said from one sentence to the next that the game wasn't immersive to admitting that it is by design. Maybe you need to stop taking the pills from Dr. Oingo Boingos office in New Guinea
>>
>>379358618
Not really, you just reduced my point to its most basic form and as far as I can tell it still holds up. The game is meant to be immersive in your own words.
>>379358860
Please don't fall for that guy's attempt to devolve this thread into shitposting.
>>
>>379359008
Dude he said it was dumb. Thats totally an argument. Type him an essay response, I'm sure he'll have a witty reply.
>>
>>379358623

>I played on easy: the post
>>
>>379354297
>not watching credits to the end
pleb
>>
>>379359308
Well I played on normal, I think I'll do hard for the inevitable replay though since enemy encounters were trivial for pretty much the entire second half of the game.
>>
I've beaten the game twice, played it on Nightmare last time through and without alien abilities. Which leads me to my question; is it even worth a full blown alien play through? Not having access to human enhanced heals or inventory space sounds like it'll make everything outside of combat a chore.

Alien abilities with hacking on my first play through though? Been a long time since I felt that overpowered in a game.
>>
>>379358623
>melting technopaths
>aweful

bruh
>>
>>379359478
>is it even worth a full blown alien play through? Not having access to human enhanced heals or inventory space sounds like it'll make everything outside of combat a chore.
Wait a second, there's a difference beyond turrets attacking you?
>>
>>379359548

Maybe I worded that poorly? I was referring to the human skill tree versus the typhon skill tree. Specifically enhanced healing from the science tree, and suit upgrades from engineering.

I thought it could be fun playing through exclusively with typhon powers, but figure it'll be more tedious outside of ending fights quickly.
>>
>>379355885
report them
>>
>>379354938
This was actually one of the few games where the twist didn't bug me.

I think it's because the contents of the game actually happened after a fashion. So it's not really "all a dream".
>>
File: avatar_da212e6174ed_512.png (387KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
387KB, 512x512px
It's alright. Batter than Bioshock, Dishonored, NuDX gameplay-wise, but my god it feels deriveate as fuck. Level-design is god tier though. Kind funny, that Dishonored 2 nailed every mission, DX:MD - hub and NuPrey - multi-layered dungeon.

Original Prey was meh, but at least the concept and the whole premise was intersting. NuPrey is just being there, done that.

P.S. cancelled Prey 2 was going to be Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath for retards. And it looked nothing like 2006 game. Instead of somewhat interesting alien ecosystem they went for banal and boring cyberpunk aesthetics, bleh.
>>
>>379355265
These
>>379355458
>>379355519

If you searched Psychotronics you'd run across a lab where they go into detail about your operation too.
>>
>>379358623
>He didn't upgrade the Q-Beam
>He thinks you have to do a side quest to get it

Q beam is fucking death incarnate, it's great against technopaths
>>
>>379356920
Come the fuck on. Arx Fatalis is better, so is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

But if we're talking about AAA stuff (more like A/B desu), then yeah, it's better game.
>>
>>379358307
One of the things that irritated me was the negative reviews on steam bitching about how hard it was.

The beginning of the game (actually my favorite part, really) was kind of like that, where a mimic could fuck your shit up with relative ease.

But by mid game you're a walking demigod who could shit on Nightmares and the like.
>>
File: 1495854146965.jpg (63KB, 539x530px) Image search: [Google]
1495854146965.jpg
63KB, 539x530px
>tfw spent half the game wondering where the grenades are
I thought the recycler charges were meant to be for on the fly inventory management or something.
>>
>>379360532
Yeah this, I saw the first gggmanlives review and I was like: man, wtf are you talking about? It's the same shit like SS2 in the end - you're unstopable.
>>
>>379354297
It's so far the best game I've played this year (Haven't gotten round to Nier or Persona yet).
What it lacks in gameplay originality, it makes up for in amazing level design and world building.
It's a better successor to System Shock than Bioshock was, that's for sure.

If it hadn't been called Prey, there wouldn't be a bunch of bandwagoning retards hating on it. I'm willing to bet it would have been loved here if it was called "Typhon" instead.
>>
A $60 steaming pile of shit. Nobody bought it, of those who bought hardly any of them played it. It sucks and the only reason you have is because you're terrible with money and spend it on every shiny turd that catches your eye.
>>
>>379360532
Yeah the beginning is probably the strongest part. You don't have the tools to be able to blunder your way through every encounter yet and discovering each new part of the station is a ton of fun.
>>
>>379360715
>It's a better successor to System Shock than Bioshock was, that's for sure.
Agreed, but I don't think, it's a great thing. We already played SS2 and Prey, while it's good, it does feel old as samey game.

Say what you want, but Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex - all were such memorable games not only cus they were duh good, but because they all had novelty factor. Prey isn't like that.
>>379360760
I pirated it.
>>
>>379360901
What exactly is this novelty factor those games have that Prey supposedly doesn't?
Please be specific.
>>
>>379360760
This.

Anyone who bought the new Prey, fell straight for the hype of Bethesda's marketing.

The game is literally like every other casual console game out there. Bland, plastic, huge HUD, screen is full of random text/elements, FOV of 60, boring, etc.

Nothing new. Nothing interesting. Nothing good.

None will talk about it in a few weeks, like every other AAA title from the last few years.
>>
>>379358623
Q-Beam shows up in at least 3 different places. You can get one on your first spacewalk.

Also it fucking destroys telepaths, weavers, and ethereal phantoms.
>>
>>379360993
Nah, I'm too lazy, but...
UU was the first free-roaming 3D action game (fuck that "immersive sim" term) with all that cool stuff.
System Shock ditched all those pointless RPG mechanics and arguably bad melee. Fresh setting, cool villain implementation, etc.
Thief is the peak of leveldesign, again no pointless bullshit, great premise and setting (steampunk without retarded stuff, but with raw medieval touch), light/dark mechanics, sound, etc.
In Deus Ex RPG stuff returned with all UU flavor. But instead of multi-layered dungeon we got hub-based progression.

Problem with NuPrey... It's nothing new in terms of overall gamedesign. Even art-direction is boring. It's well made game and it's obvious that devs are talented. But the whole premise even the twist is such a banal crap. At least, they could make a game about little alien captured by humans, who's evolving throughout entire game and wrecking up shit.
>>
>>379360901
The pirated version makes the game way way more expenaive than a mere 60$.

People have found out it has a bitcoin miner hidden in it. And, in case you're not familiar with it, it basically makes your pc run at full power and temperature... ALL THE TIME.

So what is cheaper? Paying 60$ once, or having your hardware stop working from extreme use of daily bitcoin mining?

P.S: Bitcoin mining always voids the warranty of your parts, because they will test them to see what happened... and they'll see that it was used 24/7 at extremely high temps.

P.P.S: Who would play that console pc-port casual shit-fest that is the new Prey anyways...
>>
>>379361648
Mmmkay.
>>
>>379361584
I don't really understand how not being totally original is much of a negative. I think the design of the setting was better than pretty much all of those games, being able to go outside really puts it all into perspective and gives you a sense of what's going where. Feels like it could be a real place, you know?
>>
>>379360760
>>379361191

I feel like we played different games.

Prey was honestly my favorite AAA game of the year.
>>
>>379361191
>Fell for Bethesda's marketing

What marketing, there was fuckall marketing even right before release.
>>
File: 1477995873162.jpg (797KB, 1506x1645px) Image search: [Google]
1477995873162.jpg
797KB, 1506x1645px
>>379361926
>replying to "it's boring, it's shit and I hate it"
>>
>>379361898
It's not a negative... It's just meh.
>design of the setting
Nah, it's obviously better than UU cuz it's wasn't supposed to be Ultima game at all and System Shock, but Thief and original DX blew Prey out of the water.
>Feels like it could be a real place, you know?
I could say the same for Dishonored 2 and DX:MD hub (best hub I've ever seen desu).

I already said, that in terms of level-design last immersive sims were all pretty good, It's an overall gamedesign and boring gameplay, that's not working for me.

I don't want to play as Superman in Batman costume in Dishonored. I don't want to play Rainbow Six: Conviction in DX:HR/MD. And I don't want to play somewhat good Bioshock ten years after its initial release.

Is NuPrey a good game. Yeah, it is even Bethesda/Zenimax completely fucked up with IP. Is it a great game. No way. If Arkane (or Eidos Montreal) wants to be Looking Glass Studios 2.0 it should come up with something original next time.
>>
>>379362001
What marketing? Are you kidding me...

The literally posted dev diaries evey other day, saying how "they always dreamed of making this game" and how "it's gonna be the best game ever".

Plus, they even had those cinematic trailers with some mainstream song playing all over Youtube ads. The exact same shit that Activision, EA, and Ubisoft do.

You're probably just a Bethesda fanboy denfending the game, no matter what.

But when you look at the game properly... or you see that the Publisher used the same marketing tactics as other casual money-making AAA studios...

You know that Prey is a bad game.

Deal with it.
>>
>>379362375
I disrespect your opinion, you sound like an utter nostalgiafaggot desperately clinging to the idea that these fantastic new games are ripping off the ones you loved when you were younger.
>>
>>379355458
That's the worst way to foreshadow twist ever, bullshit flashes of corrupted dialogue.
>>
>>379355984
Always wait half a year to talk openly about spoilers otherswise keep the chatter locked behind spoiler
>>
>>379362826
>utter nostalgiafaggot
Pfff, no I am not.

I don't like Thief II that much (and Deadly Shadows is pretty comfy desu), just like System Shock 2 (unbalanced and ruined by annoying constant respawn). And I do believe Deus Ex is overrated as fuck. UU is chore to play with atrocious combat and pointless skills. System Shock could learn a thing or two from Pathways into Darkness.

That being said, I don't believe that DX:MD was such a mediocore game. It's as good as NuPrey even with all popamole and ZA WARUDO takedown bullshit.
>desperately clinging to the idea that these fantastic new games are ripping off the ones you loved when you were younger
I repeat: I am not a big fan of System Shock 2.
>>
>find the prop early and install it
>every single person on the map sprints to the boat
>Jason shows up
>get grabbed as some jackass steals my seat

I don't know what I expected
>>
>>379362440
>Guys I went looking for dev diaries and saw a YouTube ad once!
>That means the game had a huge marketing campaign!

Even though you're just trolling, you're doing a very bad job of it.
>>
>>379362940
Yeah I wish they did it better.
Instead, they should have had something like weird emails where the first letter/word spells out something strange.

Or have the Phantoms say something different to what they usuall say.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
The poltergeists were a cool idea but pretty poorly executed. They weren't even remotely dangerous and felt like a waste of time to deal with.
>>
>>379364304
Where did this "marketing is bad" meme come from anyway?

Now that games are much more expensive to develop, you need a comparatively bigger marketing budget to ensure more sales.
And marketing is fairly expensive. Look at movies, to get the marketing cost you can roughly double the film's budget.

Word of mouth is great and all, but it isn't reliable. And in today's market, people move very, very quickly to the "next big thing".
>>
I'm having fun OP, I'm very early game and just finished the sidequest for December but already put 13 hours in just looking around the environments.

Is there any really fun Typhon abilities? I don't like the idea that all the turrets and any other security thing will automatically try to kill me or that there are some secondary consequence I'll only find out about later.
>>
>>379366357
>December
>Sidequest

Careful bro, that's not a side quest.

Also the turrets attacking you isn't too big of a deal. You can just hack them to be friendly, and all turrets you make will be friendly.
>>
>>379354297
>it was all a dream
>blew me away
wew lad, you have some shitty taste
>>
File: 1496057511153.gif (2MB, 320x193px) Image search: [Google]
1496057511153.gif
2MB, 320x193px
>>379359308
>>379359519
>>379360440
>>379361526
>not literally just using that one power hat nullifies the Typhon's ability to use their abilities, using kinetic blast with kinetic booster damage head mod with CD reduction followed with shotgun with combat focus to annihilate everything

The nightmare is your bitch on Nightmare with Psychoshock
>>
Still haven't finished it, roughly 30 hours in. I think I screw myself over really badly.
I felt like the game was too easy: too many neuromods, too many materials and resources, even on hard difficulty. So I intentionally did not make an very optimized build, did not bother spending neuromods on recycler yields or combat skills, went with "if I survived the encounter then fine, I'm not going to reload just because I accidently wasted some ammo inefficiently" logic, wasted ammo re-clearing out locations after an enemy respawn. And I bumped up my difficulty.

Now I'm near the end, and things are getting insanely difficult. I basically used up 90% of all recycleable materials in the game, and I'm just desperately low on minerals. My ammo reserves are down to next to nothing, the last wave of enemy respawns makes the station deadly again, and in general... fuck my life.

I love it. I loved pretty much every second of it so far, and I love it still yet. It's such a brilliant piece of design, such an amazingly carefully crafted game. It has a lot of issues, but damn it has been ages since I've seen game with this much care to small non-bombastic detail put into it.
It's a shame that the reception and sales seem to be pretty weak. Because this is the absolute best "call-back to the golden era" type game that came out of so far. People might shit on it because they ultimately don't really want to play immersive sims, and fair enough, but anyone who pretends to enjoy this genre and shits on it is... just a dishonest cunt. It does not get that much better than this.
>>
>>379366357
Don't worry about the turrets, you can hack them with the level 2 ability for it. There are no other consequences.
If anything the typhon abilities are too useful.
>>
File: 1495830427622.jpg (387KB, 1620x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1495830427622.jpg
387KB, 1620x2160px
>>379366745
> one power hat nullifies
*that.
>>
>>379366745
Psychoshock was far too useful, almost gamebreaking really.
>>
>>379366696
Wanted to stop by to let you know that you're a piece of shit. Enjoy the rest of your time on 4chan!
>>
>>379362440
I don't think you played it. So who cares what you have to say about it? Man why the fuck did you write all of this if you don't like the game you haven't played? Just go do something else. Do you write silly empty paragraphs about pointless opinions with every game you don't like/haven't played?
>>
>>379367093
Oh fuck off.
If you enjoy this story you probably had a stroke and dont know it.
The post credit twists ruins the entire game, and makes everything you did completely pointless.
Also makes playing without powers fucking retarded.
>>
>That fucking bar ambush moment
God that was fucking awesome. I generally like and respect the design of encounters in this game, but that sudden complete switch took me by complete surprise and it felt so fucking awesome. Shame the game does not have more moments like that. I really do enjoy the thoughtful, pre-planned methodical almost puzzle-like approach to encounter design, but this particular moment with it's incredibly frantic, insane pacing was great. Plus, fighting mimic to the sound of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4RanjlL7sg
was just stylish.
>>
>>379367084
I honestly thought the same. Should nerf it a little bit. The night mare literally does nothing when you use it on him. Let's not even talk about the strength of all your other powers (even some of the passives are a bit strong). Some abilities should be nerfed on Nightmare or, nightmare needs to get even toughter, but that'll just be too bullet sponge4me.

>mfw really enjoyed the beginning difficulty curve of the game
>had to treat every encounter carefully, trying to get the best outcome
>be cautious as fuck entering any room
>see phantom NOPE get the fuck out.
>50% of the game done on nightmare is me LMAOJETPACK INTO THE NIGHTMARE
>PSYCHOSHOCK
>literally call the nightmare back to me repeatedly after clearing an area so I could clean it up in 15 seconds
>use materials mainly for crafting neuromods
>excess of every supply source
>Voltaic Typhon literally not doing anything except feeding me free psi
>fucking sidequest turns every water fountain/source in the station into free psi

I feel like they definitely need to reduce the amount of resources by about 30% or so as well. Great game overall, but some difficulty pacing issues.
>>
>>379367704
>The post credit twists ruins the entire game, and makes everything you did completely pointless.
>Also makes playing without powers fucking retarded.
While I understand why people dislike the story: it's not amazing and the twist itself is stupid: if you actually let this ruin your experience, or if you are actually complaining about not being jerked off by the game enough for decisions you yourself made, you are an idiot.
>IT RUINS THE GAME!
No fucking retard. It makes the story stupid and reflects badly on the writers, but it does not ruin anything else. YOU are ruining the game for yourself because you are a moron who does not know how to deal with stories.
>>
>>379367785
I used to think exactly the same, but now, in the late game, I kinda changed my mind on this.

I do agree 100% on the psy-powers needing a MAJOR nerf. And maybe increase in costs of neuromods. As for the resource yields though... I don't think this can be actually balanced by simply cutting them down. I used to think so until I realized that there are nearly no renewable sources of resources. If you actually play play a non-psy-mod oriented build, and revisit old areas repeatedly, you start to discover that actually, there is barely enough resources to get you through the game. Cutting them down even more would actually make entire types of play-throughs (mainly those avoiding psy powers or combat focus in general) completely unviable.
>>
File: American-psycho-bateman-1-.jpg (216KB, 590x322px) Image search: [Google]
American-psycho-bateman-1-.jpg
216KB, 590x322px
>>379365408
Yep

>Mfw I see a poltergeist
>walk past it.
>>
>>379366745
>psychoshock and kinetic blast
I felt no reason to use anything else, except mimicry to cheese my way into areas.
>>
>>379368038
Seeing all this shit, I'm so damn happy I decided not to invest in these mods until near end game. I feel like I had so much better experience with the game than you folks describe.

The game is in a need of a major nerfing, I guess.
>>
>>379355885
>OP starts the thread seeing he's just reached the ending
>WTF WHY IS THE THREAD DISCUSSING THE ENDING??!
Maybe don't click threads about games you haven't finished if you don't want to get spoiled
>>
>>379368038
I was talking about other psy powers.
>>
File: 2b9.jpg (219KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
2b9.jpg
219KB, 720x540px
>>379366745
>Using Typhon neuromods
>>
>>379368970
Nigger.
>>
File: 1491981677518.png (132KB, 540x301px) Image search: [Google]
1491981677518.png
132KB, 540x301px
>>379367719
>mfw the official OST on spotify has the male version instead of the female version
>>
>THE NIGHMARE IS NOW HUNTING YOU
>Get scared and sneak around like a bitch avoid the Nightmare
>Third Nightmare encounter
>Exit Neuromod division, Nightnigger is standing right in front of the door
>Scream and activate combat focus, unloading my fully upgraded shotgun into its face

Man the Nightmare is a fucking bitch.
The Telepaths were a lot more dangerous.
>>
File: Prey.png (22KB, 893x477px) Image search: [Google]
Prey.png
22KB, 893x477px
I see Harvey is desperate for some more sales after critics panned it and there were huge financial losses
>>
>>379354297
Enemy design was super lame
>>
File: 1495137466144.jpg (108KB, 1078x1078px) Image search: [Google]
1495137466144.jpg
108KB, 1078x1078px
>>379368739
>limiting yourself
>>
>>379369664

Yeah. The first time it happened it was pretty alarming. Then I realized how terrible its 'intelligence' is. Plus the fact that it never truly dies is kind of a bummer.
>>
>>379369763
Actually, it's really good. It lacks in both visual and systematic variety: two or three more enemies would help a lot, because as it is, the game really stops introducing new enemies half way through: while mechanically it compensates for that by introducing different enemy groups which synegize very well and present new challenges, it's still kinda dissapointing when you really can't expect anything new for the second 15 hours of the game.

As for purely mechanical design of the enemies, it's actually REALLY good. As for visual design, I personally do like it, but I guess it's a matter of personal taste.
>>
>>379369664
I know right, got cornered in the looking glass in the Arboretum by a nightmare. Died a few times and finally decided to throw charges at it until it dies. Only took two of them.
>>
>>379367814
>While I understand why people dislike the story: it's not amazing and the twist itself is stupid: if you actually let this ruin your experience, or if you are actually complaining about not being jerked off by the game enough for decisions you yourself made, you are an idiot.
Oh no, its a cherry on a shitty story cake.
The writing drags down the entire game from the early reveal as to who January is completely ruining his potential for any story impact to the way December is just there for no reason at all.
Man, i worked hard to save those retards on the station, you would think at lest i would at lest have the satisfaction of knowing it amounted to something, but noo, fuck you its all a dream.
Me not choosing to use superpowers? Pointless. Me running around l;looking for survivors? Pointless, fuckers never existed to begin with.
And then as an additional slap in the face its gets completely erased and you pick one out of two endings in the last 5 seconds anyway. Kill everybody or not. Fuck that.

>No fucking retard. It makes the story stupid and reflects badly on the writers, but it does not ruin anything else. YOU are ruining the game for yourself because you are a moron who does not know how to deal with stories.
The fuck does this even mean you literal fucking retard.
What type of argument even is this?
>>
>>379367814
Also silent protagonist.
|Fuck silent protagonists, what a shitty trend that makes any story automatically much worse.
>>
>ITT who posted spoilers
FUCK YOU
FUCK
>>
>>379370241
As always, this argument just boils down to "WHY DOES NOT THE GAME WANK ME OF AND APPRECIATE MY UNIQUENESS ENOUGH! WAAAH!"

>What type of argument even is this?
It's an argument that you are literally unable to understand stories. As in: anything that isn't literal and directly affecting your immediate shallow ego flies right over your head.
>>
Harvey

C'mon m8 it's time to stop shitposting
>>
>>379370289
Did you play Dishonored 2? Arkane shouldn't be allowed to have voiced protagonists.
>>
>>379370289
>|Fuck silent protagonists, what a shitty trend that makes any story automatically much worse.
OK, so now we know you are a console-risen 12 years old. Thank you for sharing your opinions with us.
>>
>>379370298
>spoilers
>in a nonsensically idiotic story
what
also if you do the escape pod early on the game spoils itself for some bizarre reason ...
>>
>>379370618
The story isn't nonsensical or stupid, it's just got a terrible twist ending that invalidates it. It's a fun ride.
>>
>>379370443
Can you strawman any harder?
Kiddo, there is a huge difference between some gratification for your actions and making those same actions irrelevant or even straight up erasing them and replacing with your own version of what happened.
Or its too hard to understand for you?

>It's an argument that you are literally unable to understand stories. As in: anything that isn't literal and directly affecting your immediate shallow ego flies right over your head.
So its just an patehthic childish ad hominem? Amazing. Grow up.
>>
>>379370708
Harvey

I know you're struggling to come to terms with the insolvency but you gotta face it like a man
>>
>>379370584
I did.
And voiced protag isnt one of its problems.
The problem is it came out 3 years too late, it has a shitty nonsensical plot, it fails to expand on the original and has 2 protag choices for no reason at all other than to water down the game.
>>
>>379370443
Yeah but he's right the actual stuff not directly related to the player is boring as fuck even as what you'd call flavor dialogue for the purposes of world building

It's just a bland and disappointing setting and series of characters in general
>>
>>379370591
Man, you sure told me.
I fucking love standing there awkwardly while drowning in exposition now.
>>
File: 1488351441685.jpg (2MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1488351441685.jpg
2MB, 5000x5000px
>>379370853
Well two of those are a non-issue, it doesn't even have anything to do with the first game and 'it's shitty and I couldn't understand it' isn't a criticism.
>>
>>379370976
Also i found it weird that there are some many gays on board, like i thought it was going somewhere with it, maybe i will meet those people later, but nope.
You have those 10 audiologs about gay love in a fucking space station full of aliens and advanced space tech for no reason at all.
Great priorities there.
>>
File: 1444851371835.gif (1MB, 491x270px) Image search: [Google]
1444851371835.gif
1MB, 491x270px
I had fun playing through it, but there were a few aspects that had me scratching my head:

Game balance:
>pistol is a fucking submachine gun
>Any investment in psi powers trivializes almost all combat (kinetic blast + psi shock, even nightmare isn't a threat.
>"hurr durr dont install too many alien neuromods - get a single voice-line at the end of the game that changes nothing
>>
>>379371027
Ok, maybe you dont care that you playing an Empress of almost the entire world with no single ally and without the people kneeling in front of you while everybody treats you as some random person of the street. But to me its really annoying.
There was not a single reason for Emily to do shit, just visit your garrison in next city and assemble your army, have them storm the castle and kill everybody in sight.
And how is coming out late to no sales not a problem?
>>
>>379371275
Oh I thought you were talking about Prey sorry. I don't even like Dishonored 2.
>>
>>379355885
Because over half of /v/ would be warned or banned if mods/janitors kept up with people not using spoiler tags. Never visit game threads if you care about spoilers since this place is full of down syndrome retards who can't even figure out how to CTRL+S.
>>379355984
Fuck you, people regularly spoil shit here day 1, sometimes even prior to games coming out.
>>
>>379354297
I like the game but I have a few nitpicks:-

>Game forces you to get the psychoscope in the early game
>Pyscopscope comes with a "detect mimics" modification as standard
>Lack of different enemies (I think this is a personal thing but having just over half a dozen enemies with 3 being 3 rehashes of another is pretty unimaginative
>Having all these different grenades when you can cheese anything with Recycler charges and Nullwaver Emitters
>Psychic powers are incredibly powerful
>Having a big marker that says "Go here" in an open world-ish enviroment (they could have made more out of using the download map feature on certain terminals)
>Nightmare (I feel he was pretty lacklustre. He was so easy to avoid and you can just leave an area and masturbate while the timer ticks down or throw 3 recylers at him)
>To say that technomancers were supposed to hack technology it was rarely used outside of locking the main elevator, locking another door and picking up turrets. I wish they'd make him fuck about with gravity, oxygen systems and light and such
>Oxygen canisters everywhere but no oxygen meter
>>
>>379371681
>>Oxygen canisters everywhere but no oxygen meter
lol this
i bet it was cut out
>>
>>379371681
>Oxygen canisters everywhere but no oxygen meter
I'd bet heavily this was due to shitty playtesters.
>>
>>379371768
That sounds thoroughly unfun in my opinion.
>having to hunt oxygen tanks to get through the GUTS
>>
>>379371018
>I fucking love standing there awkwardly while drowning in exposition now.
I guess you do, since you demand MORE of it, not less. Voiced protagonist is just one more fucking channel of exposition more directly explaining to the player what is going on.

You are literally complaining the game isn't giving you enough exposition and then complaining about games having too much exposition? Also, when the fuck does ever the game demand you to stand and wait for the exposition being delivered. It's entirely passive, you can actually happily explore of fight or do what ever you want. And how would a voiced protagonist change any of this?
>>
>>379371893
There were several canisters before the guts and they could always put a refueling station half way along. I just feel it was a missed opportunity. There were lots off cool features in the game like the foamdart gun can activate the buttons on terminals or using mimicry to get throught smaller spaces or the GLOO gun creating footholds to climb high places but you can really feel a lot was cut from the game.
>>
>>379370041
>Using foul xenos tech
>>
>>379372352
Us 40k fans right? Us 40k fans.
>>
>>379372352
its a dream so its ok
>>
>>379354297
Did you buy something with the money you got?
>>
>>379371768
>I'd bet heavily this was due to shitty playtesters.
No, it was because A) lack of time - it was supposed to be a part of a more extended survival mechanics, which also included things like trauma's and broken bones, air-leaks at low suit integrity etc... and B) actual design philosophy contradiction, as the exterior segments were intentionally made to be somewhat clunky and different to control, but also somewhat slow and awe-inspiring, which combined with limited oxygen supply just did not work.
>>
File: 1486715727842.jpg (8KB, 264x174px) Image search: [Google]
1486715727842.jpg
8KB, 264x174px
>>379372571
Yeah I bought Prey again because it's a great game.
>>
>>379372583
Well it could have worked. With the amount of upgrades you could get to your suit and psychoscope you could easily implement capacity upgrades. You could also implement neuromod upgrades to effectively remove the oxygen limit for the level 3 upgrade or something.

On a separate note, what the hell was the "Fear" effect. A lot of the alcoholic consumables scattered around have the same effect "Heal 1 hp and remove fear" but I never saw what it was or if I did it didn't have a noticeable effect.
>>
>>379373217
The flickering and colour desaturation around enemies.
>>
>>379371681
>having just over half a dozen enemies with 3 being 3 rehashes of another is pretty unimaginative
This.

Especially considering that even on the hardest difficulty there was pretty much no actual gameplay difference between them, with only exception being etheric phantom.

Mimics and le strong mimics were a terrible decision too.
>>
>>379373217
Nobody says it's impossible, but it's a question whenever it was really going to enhance the experience. Also, just simple time and budget constraints...

>but I never saw what it was or if I did it didn't have a noticeable effect.
I'm pretty sure Nightmare induces that effect if you get close to it, and I think it affects the controls: causing the controls to be unresponsive, even flat-out freezing etc... Kinda like the EMP does to your suit.
That said, it's clearly one of the many status mechanics that were intended to be much more important than they ended up being. I think I got it once or twice when I tried to sprint past a Nightmare, but it lasted only for a few seconds, making consumables that should get rid of it hilariously useless.
>>
>>379373415
Actually, that is fairly wrong. The mechanical difference between the greater phantom variants was significant.
I wish there were more enemies, but from a purely design perspective, they were handled very well. The bigger problem was the lack of balance, that allowed you to bypass most of their special powers and qualities if you used the right neuromods.

Mimics were FUCKING AWESOME and one of the best enemy designs I've seen in ages. What was a fucking terrible decision was to give a player the option to spot them for free early into the game.
>>
>>379373415
>not liking mimics
What the fuck man
>>
>>379373680
They are pretty annoying later on.
Like man, you die in one shotgun blast anyway, fuck off.
>>
generic, mediocre, forgettable aaa trash.
>>
>>379373540
There is no mechanical difference if you kill them fast enough and can simply ignore whatever the fuck they're throwing at you because most of the time you can strafe it.

>>379373680
I didn't say I don't like mimics, mimics were one of the best ideas, but boosting their stats and calling that a new enemy is extremely lazy.
>>379373921
This too.
>>
>>379372243
>the foamdart gun
I've yet to do a second playthrough so I'm not entirely sure, but how many opportunities were even there to use that? I think I used it only three times. I was pretty excited at the novelty with using it but after the first three times, using it to solve a problem just never popped into my head anymore so I might've missed some.
>>
>>379374406
I didn't even bother taking it and I had no troubles getting into rooms without it, especially once you know the mimicry trick.
>>
>>379374101

Thank you for your in-depth opinion. You did a good job elaborating on all your key points, this board needs more posters like you for quality discussion.
>>
>>379374585
>op asks what i thought of it
>offer thoughts

Sorry for doing the thing I was supposed to do in the thread, maybe you should retreat to your safe space if you can't handle it.
>>
>>379374336
>There is no mechanical difference if you kill them fast enough
Which is a general ballance issue, not enemy design issue.

>at you because most of the time you can strafe it.
How do you strafe the AOE of the electric phantoms?

>>379374406
I had at least fifteen, twenty during my first 30 hours.

>>379374492
I'm pretty sure you can't even get into the Morgue at Psychotronics without it or telekinesis.
>>
>>379374734
>I'm pretty sure you can't even get into the Morgue at Psychotronics without it or telekinesis.
Yep, that's the story of why I bought that ability.
>>
This is really humiliating at this point

A full fucking two hours later and Harvey is STILL shilling his abortion on /v/ trying to save face as the company's deregistration looms

Well too bad. You made a low quality product and you reap what you sow
>>
>>379374914
There is something really humiliating going on here, you are right about that. But it's not "Harvey" that I'm worried about.
>>
>>379374406
It's only useful when say there's a security booth with a terminal you can see. You can sometimes use it to unlock the door. In these cases you can usually mimic in but if you're doing a non-typhon playthrough it can be quite handy.
>>
>>379374802
There's a email that says if you shadow one of the nearby operators it will open the morgue door for you but I never waited to find out.
>>
>>379374994
It's perhaps the studio and ALL THE FUCKING JOB LOSSES HE DIRECTLY CAUSED
>>
Who's Harvey?
Google tells me there's a Harvey Smith who works at Arkane but he worked on the Dishonored games, not this one.
>>
File: 20170607214232_1.jpg (377KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170607214232_1.jpg
377KB, 1920x1080px
Kill them all.
I loved the fat bastard, couldn't do it.
>>
>>379375285
A magical strawman that a fuck that is trying to shit up all Arkane-related threads has made up, because people discussing things they enjoy makes him obsessively angry.
>>
>>379371768
Or because it was a shitty mechanic. Modern EVA suits have 8 hours life support with a 30 minute reserve.
>>
>>379375407
Alex having a noticeable accent but neither Morgan or your dad was a strange oversight.
>>
>>379375479
50 cents has been deposited into your account.

Regards,
Harvey Smith
>>
>>379374406
actually plenty of occasions
i went back and checked out some levels and they often have vents very high up
but its kinda hard to get to often and wastes a lot of ammo
>>
>>379355885
When the OP is about having beat the game don't be surprised
>>
>>379374734
>Which is a general ballance issue, not enemy design issue.
It doesn't make enemy design any better, 4 rehashed enemies in the game with only 8?+boss is just dumb.

On top of that, if it's possible to ignore the mechanic of a certain enemy and still deal with it easily (aka balance issue) it only means that it was badly designed.

>How do you strafe the AOE of the electric phantoms?
Do they """throw""" the AOE at you? I guess not. Electric phantoms don't have meaningful weaknesses, it's just a dumb dps race in your favour.
>>
>>379354297
Just started the game. It's pretty neat so far but it bothers me the game doesn't have an FOV setting(that doesn't mess with other things) and that certain, more difficult elements in the game got removed, instead of being moved into a harder difficulty.
>>
>>379375802
The whole fucking game is a DPS race in your favor.

You CAN ONE SHOT PHANTOMS WITH A SHOTGUN SNEAK ATTACK ON NIGHTMARE DIFFICULTY. A very easy to execute sneak attack due to the enemies not being able to see 3 meters in front of themselves

There's no challenge. It's a poor game in general
>>
>>379375949
It just gets worse as you play on. The lobby is basically the pinnacle of the game
>>
>>379375949
Yeah ignore that other faggot.
>>
File: 20170606234139_1.jpg (163KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170606234139_1.jpg
163KB, 1920x1080px
What are those two yellow specs that don't move with the background?
>>
>>379375527
I don't think realism is such a concern in a game where you have massive old-school tape computers, telekinesis and can heal broken bones by eating a lemon. Also, modern flashlights have up to hundred of hours of power yet games keep limiting them for purely mechanical reasons.

I think the point that it would be a shitty mechanic that would make all EVA sections of the game easily very frustrating, especially exploring the exteriors of the game.

>>379375802
>It doesn't make enemy design any better,
The thing that does make the enemy design good is the fact that each require very different approach and problem-solving (unless you use the unbalanced Psy powers) to disperse.

>it only means that it was badly designed.
The powers were not well designed, or more precisely not well balanced. The enemy design is good.

>I guess not.
What the actual fuck is wrong with you? Are you actually, clinically retarded. Your complaint is that you can side-strafe most enemy attacks. I just proved you that you are wrong. What the fuck is this shit? Brain, asshole, use it.

>Electric phantoms don't have meaningful weaknesses,
Except you know - RANGED ATTACKS LIKE YOU JUST SAID, weakness to EMP, non-electric elemental attacks, nullwave grenades.

>it's just a dumb dps race in your favour.
Again, do you have some kind of clinical fucking excuse for this shit?
>>
>>379360326
I liked the original Prey way better than Prey 2017, but they are completely different (sub-) genres and themes so not really comparable. I think Prey 2006 was an excellent linear shooter that kept the player in the action and stayed fresh throughout (safe for some slog/filler in the middle, like most games...), and Pret 2017 was a Shock style game (shocklike?). Personally, I find that loads of collectable items around the world makes me focus less on the environment itself, working against atmosphere, aesthetics, and environmental storytelling, while slowing down the game, making me lose interest before those 20 hrs are through. I guess I'm more in line with the casuals here, despite having played tonnes of different shooters of different subgenres.
>>
I finished it and I want to play it again.
It's been too long since a game with this style and setting came out.
>>
>>379376008
I wouldn't say that. The game starts off quite challenging and when you first encounter the phantom it's something you think "Don't want to fight that" but as you progress it turns into "Just crafted 120 shotgun shells, 17 recycler charges, 13 Nullwaver Transmitters and 11 EMP Charges. I'm now invincible. When I first encountered the Voltaic Phantom (the scripted event in psycotronics) I had 7 shotgun shells and 1 EMP charge and I whiffed the throw meaning I had to kite the thing around the chamber for about 10 minutes.

I'd say the game goes from a challenging resource management to how many PSI syringes and Shotgun shells can you horde way too quickly.

On a separate note, the bug with Typhon Tumors not stacking automatically is the single most annoying bug I have found with the game. Every time I loot a mimic or Phantom I have to go into my inventory and Triple-Tap the auto-sort key.

As another side note, is there a purpose to the tracking braclets found throughout the game. I have 4 in my inventory and all they do is take up space. They're only worth 0.01 material resource so I'm thinking they have some kind of use.
>>
>>379376296
>I think Prey 2006 was an excellent linear shooter that kept the player in the action and stayed fresh throughout
I have NO idea how can anyone think this. Setting nu-Prey aside: Prey 2006 was AWFUL. Insanely bad as a shooter. With some the most unsatisfying and least varied weapons in the fucking universe, insanely bad and dull level design, baffling stupid decisions like lack of actual death punishment and easily the worst story I've ever seen in a big-budget game: which should tell you a lot.

The weapons were dull and had virtually no recoil. Half of them were literal pew-pew low damage high rate of fire garbage, the rest were awkward clumsy low range spray guns. Grenades LITERALLY farted instead of explosions. Enemies were dull as fuck and completely brain-dead with no variety what so ever, many of them extremely bullet spongy. The game was hideous visually, inconsistent, and dragged on for FAR too long. The vehicle sections were easily the worst I've EVER seen in an FPS. The level design was 100% linear and boring as ever-living fuck: a literal corridor. The few mechanical gimmicks added nothing to the actual gameplay outside of that one environmental puzzle where you had to switch gravity so that you could move on forward in the insanely dull liner corridor.

What the ever living fuck was good about Prey 2006? The story was more cringeworthy than Hatered, the guns were unsatisfying and gunplay dull, levels all look the same and were ugly, enemies were dumb as fuck, the "new mechanics" like the spirit walk had absolutely no creative use what so ever, and you could not fucking DIE in this game.
>>
>>379376619
>As another side note, is there a purpose to the tracking braclets found throughout the game.
I'm pretty sure that there is no point in carrying them around. I was honestly kinda baffled to see them being collectable, but I think they only exist to communicate when you successfully tracked a person, and when you merely tacked the bracelet but the person or body is no longer there. Otherwise, I don't think they have a purpose.
>>
>>379376619
>I'd say the game goes from a challenging resource management to how many PSI syringes and Shotgun shells can you horde way too quickly.
I agree, but things DO change a little in the second half of the game, unless you hoard/maximize efficiency and avoid wasting resources on backtracking.

The theory is: the game floods you with resources around mid-game because that is the time where it suddenly opens up and you gain access to a lot of locations. The problem is that you will be possibly spending quite a lot of time in those locations, backtracking back and forth while the enemies respawn, but the resources don't. Basically, the shit you collect at the late mid-game: that is like nearly the total sum of resources you'll get from random enviromental clutter. And you will have to make do with that for the rest of the game, slowly running dry in the late-game as there is nothing more to loot.

That is the THEORY, I think. And it is what happened to me, but I quite intentionally avoided optimization of my build and strategy.

The problem is that this can be avoided if you use psychomods, resource-hog and optimize your build.
>>
File: 1391261047952.gif (387KB, 269x270px) Image search: [Google]
1391261047952.gif
387KB, 269x270px
>>379376084
>>379376146
>>
>>379377108
It's good.
>>
>>379376926
You can avoid running out of resources even early by becoming a muscle mage with maxed out strength and attack psi powers.
Just go to Water Treatment early and pour that juicy alien cum to water supply.
For some reason toilets do not regenerate PSI
>>
>>379377391
I must have missed that sidequest, how do you activate it?
>>
File: 20170607202816_1.jpg (183KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170607202816_1.jpg
183KB, 1920x1080px
>>379377391
Leverage 3 was worth it.
You could basically crush any phantom with the right prop.
>>
>>379377623
I felt like a right silly prick for ever wasting neuromods on leverage when I realised recycler charges would get me past any object obstruction.
>>
S glad this game failed.
>>
>>379377391
Yeah, that is the point: you can avoid it by using psychomods and renewable sources of psy energy, or by optimizing your build (putting points into recycler yields very early on).

I personally did not even use any combat or psy-powers used neuromods until 2/3rds of the game. It was much more fun that way, and it also makes the late game really challenging on nightmare. But I think it should be like this on default, without me intentionally gimping my build.

>>379377467
I'm pretty sure that it's by activating a dead body log in life-support. You'll have to track down a dead body using a security computer, then inject that shit into the water treatment/eel tanks in lower level life support, where the technopath that you are required to kill before you are allowed to Reactor is.
I'm not sure where the initial dead body is though. Somewhere on the level. You might possibly also activate it by looting the body that lies on the upper level of life-support in the maintanece tunel next to the toilets.
>>
>>379377467
Just go toward Power Plant through Life Support, water treatment is left from PP.
You can also activate quest by checking burned body in duct near remnants of some bigger battle between Typhon and workers in Life Support.
>>
>>379377725
So did I, the HR department door tricked me. Still, becoming the hulk was worth it with the "quick pickup" chipset.
>>
>>379375949
The game does have a FOV setting in the options, they patched it in recently.
>>
>>379365547
Marketers are subhuman retards and in the digital era, traditional marketing isn't effective at all.
>>
I can't even bring myself to play it because I hate the artstyle.
>>
>>379377934
This is going to come off so badly in this thread, but have you ever stopped to study advertising? It's incredibly fascinating. Literally tricking people into buying shit.
>>
>>379377954
Which is weird, because the art style (while easily the second weakest aspect of the game) is really just very inoffensive. It's not interesting, but it sure as hell isn't something to hate. It's just very... generic and bland and featureless.
>>
>>379376634
Finally someone who remembers the original Prey being a bad, mid-2000s shooter that was literally what tier until people decided to jump on the "hate nuPrey for no real reason" bandwagon.
>>
>>379377934
>traditional marketing isn't effective at all.
Yeah, totally. I mean look at Minions, and how that totally failed. Seriously, are you people even listening to what you are saying?
>>
>>379354297
The story was pretty shitty, and the twist was just... Shit. It didn't surprise me at all, and I simply didn't care.
With that said, I enjoyed the gameplay, the stealth needed some work as it was a core component of the game, but it was reasonably refreshing to have a game that did less handholding than normal. If 5/10 is an 'average' score, this would probably get a 6 or 7.
>>
>>379378112
Prey was a dissapointment comparable to Brink or Bioshock Infinite in it's day. Which is funny because the same developers worked on all three of the games.
>>
>>379378083
Marketing "should" be civilian based psychological warfare, which is what it really is, and you're absolutely right that it's fascinating as fuck, but most marketers are rejects at life who barely passed school and have no idea about any of that shit.
Only a few vidya companies like blizzard actually use proper psyops techniques.
>>
>>379378083
what is some good material to learn marketing techniques? I need to sell more copies of my book
>>
>>379378186
I'd happily say 8 on that scale just for the sheer attention to detail and really, REALLY uniquely good level design and environmental design. You don't usually see such an attention to detail.

Shame the meh story (with awful ending), lack of balance and lack of more distinct art direction drag it down, with just a bit more polish it could easily be 9/10 and go down the same memory as VtmB or System Shock. One thing the game REALLY lacked was a charismatic antagonist. I know that the story was just not designed around this, and that it was an actually interesting step to make you fight something almost untangible, but on the other hand the lack of Shodan-like enemy made it all feel a whole lot less personal.
>>
>>379378353
Here's a fun tv show if you don't want to read a textbook.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gruen_Transfer
>>
>>379378390
>One thing the game REALLY lacked was a charismatic antagonist
I thought The Cook was going to do a lot more. Kind of disappointed really.
>>
>>379378250
>Marketing "should" be civilian based psychological warfare,
This is when you realize that really, the Marxist mentality is rooted much deeper into our common world views than we are even willing to realize. "Everyone is your enemy, especially capitalism and those who represent it."

No. Marketing should be a civil service of mutual benefits. It can get out of hand and go wrong, but that is a failure of our moral and aesthetic standards that should exist independently of our means of goods distribution. The fact that we consistently antagonize customers and service providers shows that we fucked something up and did not understand what capitalism is really supposed to be about. Mostly due to either Marxist, or completely misunderstood pseudo-darwinist preconceptions (which both are actually very close to each other).
>>
>>379365408
>watch out faggot i'm gonna gently lift you off of your feet
>>
>>379378518
Dahl was pretty bad too. Was one of those antagonists that were very weirdly invested in killing the protagonist and threatening them through voice calls even though they were absent for like 80% of the game.
>>
>>379379328
He clearly knows Morgan and dislikes him if you remove his neuromods.
Issue is that the player doesn't know.
>>
>>379363129
fuck you
>>
>>379354297
Lame tweest aside, I enjoyed it quite a bit.
>>
>tfw you can farm military operators for Q-Beam cells

Should've happened earlier, I love the Q beam.
>>
>>379381548
>"Requesting new operator"
STOP

But, watching the military operators fight the typhon was great.
>>
>>379378390
I'd say Arkane's biggest stregth as a developer is their amazing level design and their biggest weakness is the writing/story. Dishonored also suffers from a generic plot, but the level design and worldbuilding makes up for it.

They really should hire some better writers in the future.
>>
>>379382404
>is their amazing level design and their biggest weakness is the writing/story.
Actually, while I generally agree that those are their strong and weak points, I'd say their biggest problem is not writing, but inability to balance their games. The plot and writing is a shame, but really ultimately those things could have been forgiven if their games did not fall into a piftall of being broken. I understand that it is related to their core immersive sim do it your way philosophy, but still. Dishonored was a game that I enjoyed, but never LOVED because it always felt entirely like fucking around. And in case of Prey, I only avoided the same experience by intentionally gimping myself.

I don't think Arkane ever made particularly story-focused games, so the stories being subpar is not a GRAVE issue. They are gameplay oriented, and the ballance issue can do much more damage.

Otherwise, I agree. Though I HAVE to say, that shitty twist aside, writing on Prey was a LOT better than in their previous games. Almost good at times. The plot is weak, but a lot of the small character stories were actually kinda neat, and well weaved into the environmental design and storytelling. I had fun tacking down all the nerds on Talos and figuring out what was it they were doing, for an example.
>>
>>379382736
I can understand that, but for me "fucking around" part was one of my favorite things, mostly because I could do a lot of playthroughs and each time I could do it in a different way. It was enjoyable doing a run with no powers, non-lethal, ghost and then it was also enjoyable to fuck around with all the powers in god mode. The choice is what's appealing to me, but I get that a lot of people might not enjoy it because the game can easily be broken.
>>
>>379383304
>I can understand that, but for me "fucking around" part was one of my favorite things,
While I understand that: I find that pressure and necessity are the best motivations to be creative, and make your creativity so much more rewarding. I've said this in some earlier Prey discussions: one of the highlights of that game for me was luring a greater phantom into a doorway and activating the manual lock override switch remotely using nerf-gun, crushing the asshole in the process. This was early-game, and the reason why I did it was because I LITERALLY did not have means to kill him otherwise: I had some ten bullets, one EMP, no combat augs and the bastard was between me and the nearest recycler. I had to figure something out: and that lead me to this amazingly satisfying solution.

I'm happy that in the late game, Prey is forcing me to do the same things again. But in the mid-game, I just forced myself to do something else than focus+shotgun purely to avoid boredom.

And Dishonored NEVER forced me to be creative in this way. And while I enjoyed the powerfantasy and had some fun making up funny ambushes: it was never out of necessity. And that just makes it so much less satisfying.

And yes: you can self-impose these necessities. But while that is fine and I love how Arkane clearly and intentionally designs their games with this option (which shows a lot of respect for the players), it's not the same as doing it because you MUST.
>>
>>379376008
>The whole fucking game is a DPS race in your favor.
And all enemies are the same because you just shoot at them until they die. See? I can act retarded too.

I wasn't talking about challenge, it indeed becomes way too easy once you have enough neuromods, it's just that like half of enemies are poorly designed.

>>379376220
>most of the time you can side-strafe enemy attacks
>sometimes you can't
>these two statements somehow contradict each other
Logic is too hard for you.

Considering the caps and your unexistent reading comprehension, I'll assume that you're a retarded fanboy and won't waste my time on you anymore. The game is good, but it has its flaws too, one of which is enemy design.
>>
>>379384142
>, I'll assume that you're a retarded fanboy and won't waste my time on you anymore.
Says the person who claims "this enemy has no weakness" when there is a literal list of weakness right in his description and my post. But funny how you conveniently ignore that shit. Literally being wrong about the game is not a problem: the backtracking and saying "I did not say ALL, I just said most" when somebody clearly shows you that one of the THREE main types of attacks cannot be side-stepped at all: that proves you brilliant and me retarded. Sure. Fantastic job acknowledging the actual points of those posts.
>>
>>379382348
>"Requesting....New....Operator
>in a fit of autistic rage I throw a tape computer at the operator dispenser
>"Iris obstruction detected, please remove obstruction"

Well I'll be damned
>>
>>379367814
Mass Effect 3
>>
>>379386185
TECHNOLOGY
I mean, sort of.
>>
>>379386456
Mass Effect 3 was really bad from roughly 1/3 of the game. The awful ending was just a cherry on a top of a pile of fucking awful. Also, people were pissed because the developers lied to them. If - like TW3 (which also has a terrible terrible ending and completely fails to validate your choices through out the series) - the devs never really fucking pretended that the continuity matters, it would be a whole lot easier to swallow. Really: the ending of TW3 is almost as equally as bad as the ending to ME3. Yet people just said "yeah, that was kinda shit. Well, the rest of the games was fun".

Mass Effect 3 was horrible pretty much from the start and it was also an actual fuck you from the developers who promised something, and then made ZERO attempt to actually live up to the promise that made people buy their fucking games in the first place. The anger - aimed at the developer, not so much the game - was justified on the basis of their dishonesty with their customers.

But really: ME3 was bad like 80% of the time. The ending - outside of the moral implications of Bio's dishonesty - was really the least thing people should be outraged about.
>>
I was happy it wasn't just a corridor shootan.

I still didn't like it but it could have been worse.

I eventually got bored and gave up on pure stealth, and instead went for maximum speed (There were powers to teleport and to speed up relative to surrounding enemies) and it worked perfectly. Since the entire game was backtrackan fetchquestan, and since I no longer cared about exploring and examining the environment, I didn't feel bad about essentially skipping over a huge chunk of the game, but I don't think a game should necessarily be designed that way.

Maybe they should have made the stealth or the combat or the exploration fun instead of providing 'speedrun' abilities.
>>
>>379386829
Prey is no better
>>
>>379374734
>>379374802
>>379375072
I only took human neuromods throughout my playthrough. I didn't even wait for an operator - if you look through the window, you can see the emergency lock button from the outside. Shot it with the boltcaster and opened it that way.
>>
>>379387585
Really compelling and powerful argument you made there.
>>
>>379387923
Enjoy your fidget spinner
>>
anyway to save the people in the greenhouse ive done a leverage build and have a ton of shit just cant find a way to kill the telepath without it getting away or accidentally killing the people inside
>>
>>379388254
You can just lure it out by activating the sprinklers and fight it where there is no risk of harm to the greenhouse people.
Or you if you have the stun-gun you can just knock the people out with it: they will go unconscious and the link will be severed.
Or you can use Null-wave grenades on them to do the same. Or that psy-nullifying psy-power. This is Prey: of course there are actually multiple ways to deal with it.
>>
>>379363129
fuck you faggot, I ain't waiting half a damn year to discuss a game I've played and finished.
>>
Ending was shit and third act was weak, but aside from that it was a fantastic game.

Waiting till I forget everything to replay.
>>
>>379388547
thought the tele killed people it was linked with if it escapes had didn't know about the sprinklers
>>
>>379367719

I completely missed that quest, what gives?
>>
no one had a problem with the last 2 or 3 hours of the game? it felt like i had more loading screens than gameplay
>>
I liked how there was plenty of freedom to do things your way, it was enjoyable to get into a room in some way and then finding out there was another one or two ways of doing it.

Reduced gravity sections were pretty damn well done, it could have been a stupid gimmick but it felt adequate, details like being able to spin vertically by looking up or projectiles not being affected by gravity and traveling straight lines made it enjoyable.

Surprisingly enough I cared about the story and setting enough to read every log that I found, which I pretty much never do.

I didn't like the variety of weapons, I mean besides grenades you have the pistol and the shotgun, then the laser ray thingy, from the ability trees I understand that there were supposed to be more 'sciency' weapons but they never made it to the game.

I didn't like how by the end of the game, you are better off running through sections rather than actually clearing them, simply because there is a retarded amount of monsters and your arsenal is rather poor (plus you will barely get anything for killing them)

I didn't like how your choices are essentially meaningless in the end.

Silly thing but, I really didn't like how the loading screens lead you to a shorter loading screen which later prompts you to hit a key to start, like what.

I also didn't like some areas not having a map.

Overall I liked it plenty.

>>379388254
The greenhouse doesn't have a ceiling.

I mounted a turret on a tree and lured the telepath out.
>>
>>379389607
When you need the voice of some girl in order to open a door it turns out that girl had used neuromods to learn to sing and sang in a company event, so you can play the song and get a good deal of the recording you need (50% I think)

I just played it and hid through the whole thing.
>>
>>379389549
>thought the tele killed people it was linked with if it escapes had didn't know about the sprinklers
No, the telepath does not kill people. They kill themselves if they are under the influence and get close enough: otherwise. Proximity does not matter at all: if the telepath is killed the people will be knocked out but safe, same goes if you knock them out manually or severe the bond using null-field.
Sprinklers can be activated from the console next to the main entry to the greenhouse. Keep in mind, the fucker will leave only for a minute or so, after a while unless you aggro him, he'll go back in.

>>379389607
It's not a quest.
I'm not entirely sure how it works, but here is my experience.
In Crew Quarters, there is a bar on the second floor of the lobby. There is a stage in the back, and next to it is a room with some computers. When I first went there the computer was off-line.
On my second visit to Crew Quarters, the console was on, and there was an option to play a music sample.
When I pressed play, it started playing that song - and caused I think two or three phantoms and four or five mimics to spawn around me, resulting in one of the most tense battle I've experienced in the game.

>>379390326
Ha! I had no idea it can link to the voice quest. I mostly solved that by just dealing with the cook and eventually meeting the girl that way.

Still don't understand why the console was off the first time I went there. Maybe there is a switch I turned on unwillingly somewhere?
>>
>>379361191
>The game is literally like every other casual console game out there.
But it's not tho, not in the slightest, and that's why it didn't sell as much as these other games.
>Bland
Opinions, not facts
>plastic
what does that even mean
>huge HUD
Not really
>screen is full of random text/elements
I could give you this one, even tho I have no idea what you're talking about after 8 hours of game.
>FOV of 60
Then change it?
>boring
worst buzzword. Also completely subjective
>Nothing new
At this point pretty much everything has been done, you don't see really new stuff often. Not to mention they wanted to do a spiritual sequel to System Shock, not invent a new genre, and they succeded.
>Nothing interesting
Opinions, some people think stuff that you like isn't interesting. Most people agree that the game does a fantastic job of keeping you interested.
>Nothing good
But the art direction is great, gameplay is smooth and tight as fuck, optimization is great, soundtracks are great, story is nice (so far), level design is GREAT, mimic animations are great, weapons are fun, RP aspects are great, intro is god tier, among other things.

>Anyone who bought the new Prey, fell straight for the hype of Bethesda's marketing.
Most retarded "argument" ever. Anyone who bought Bloodborne fell straight for the hype of From and autistic Fromdrones marketing. Anyone who bought the new Zelda fell straight for the hype of Nintendo's marketing. Anyone who bought the new Shitsona fell straight for the Atulus pedoshit marketing. Or simply, "Anyone who bought this new game I don't like, fell straight for the marketing of that publisher".
>>
>>379361648
>The pirated version
Yes, because there is only ONE pirated version. That's like saying "the pirated version of Arkham Asylum has this bug where you can't use the cape".
>>
>>379390161
>Silly thing but, I really didn't like how the loading screens lead you to a shorter loading screen which later prompts you to hit a key to start, like what.
Yeah, this was driving me nuts too.
>>379390610
You are replaying to a five hours old pasta post that the same few faggots cut and paste into every single one of these threads, and they have been doing this for three weeks now. Just ignore it.
It's a second itteration of "shit I'm going to repost in Prey threads to make people angry". Yeah. There are people who actually slowly refine shitposts to cut and paste into discussions here in an attempt to derail them. Doing that reliably every time the subject matter pops up.
Just ignore it.
>>
>>379390605
>>379390326

Yeah, I missed it even though I restored power to the club.

Cool shit, wish I knew about it the first time. Still had a blast and the game held me pretty tight. I only wish it was more scary, System Shock 2 had me by the fucking balls since the first enemy at least until I found the assault rifle.
>>
>>379365547
Games aren't "much more expensive to develop". It's just that it's easier to pump 95% of the entire budget on marketing to insure sales even tho the product is lacking. The actual cost of development isn't as big as you think.
>inb4 but Witcher 3 costed 80M and Destiny 500M!!!!
95% of those millions went into buying adds.
>>
>>379390921
It is a cool moment. The game (Intentionally, I think) avoids enemy ambushes as they really prefer to treat individual encounters as small puzzles and give the player ample time to think of a strategy and plan ahead. It's why enemies loudly announce their presence, and why they are mostly blind and slow to react to the player. It's also counteracted by the extreme mobility and generally chaotic nature of the actual combat once it starts. And I love that design, by the way. It really shows these people DID learn from System Shock on much more structural level, it shows there was a lot of deliberation to the design.
But this particular case, one of the very few ambushes that you can't really anticipate the first time around showed that the desperate, unprepared struggle to survive can be a lot of fun too. It does not end - the fucks keep coming and coming and the music blasts into it... I'm fairly happy that the game does not do anything like this too often, it could get frustrating, but it was fun as hell.

Of course, the spell of that moment can be entirely dodged by simple re-load. But I was trying to avoid save-scumming as much as possible. Which is to say: not that much, given the game's fondness for sudden fucking kills.
>>
File: shotgun run n gun.webm (3MB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
shotgun run n gun.webm
3MB, 720x400px
>>379358623
Wrong on both accounts. You can get it other places as well.
And it's amazing at killing Telepaths and technopaths when you upgrade it a bit. And anything really. Made a big difference on my first Nightmare run.

>>379367719
It was nice. Webm related.

>>379371681
Good criticisms, except about the psychoscope. It makes perfect sense in terms of the plot.

>>379371754
>>379371768
As for the oxygen canisters, I think Arkane mentioned something about a "Survival" difficulty beyond Nightmare where you have to manage oxygen, and you have a SS1-style timer to finish the game before the station is destroyed. Maybe they'll patch it in like they did with Dishonored 2 later.
>>
>>379391735
>Good criticisms, except about the psychoscope. It makes perfect sense in terms of the plot.
Plot does not matter here as much as mechanics, I think. And from a mechanical perspective, it may have not been a good decision.
I'd also pick on the complaint about quest markers, as those are largely optional.

>>379391735
>I think Arkane mentioned something about a "Survival" difficulty
To be more specific: Arkane said in Reddit AMA that they originally intended to include much more survival mechanics, including Oxygen, various further status aligments (broken limbs, burns, bleeding) as well as stronger impact of existing ones (fear is basically a pointless left-over from the originally much more important mechanic). All of this, together with two more weapons (one of which was the disk-gun, you can still find the originally intended ammo as a common prop) was cut for either time, or balancing issues.

Arkane did mention that they would like to potentially revisit some of these mechanics in some form of a new game plus patch or something, but made no promises. Cosidering the lacluster performance of the game, it's possible we are shit out of luck.
>>
Finished Deus Ex some time ago, and just finished System Shock 1. How does this hold up?
>>
>>379392532
>Finished Deus Ex some time ago, and just finished System Shock 1. How does this hold up?
About as good (if not better) than you'd expect a game from 2017 to hold up against some of the best games of the golden PC era.

I'd say it's the best immersive sim since Deus Ex. As far as I'm concerned, it's Deus Ex = Theif 1 = Thief 2 > System Shock 2 > System Shock 1 = Prey > Deus Ex Human Revolution > Dishonored > DX:MD > everything else in the universe > all Bioshock games > DX:IW.

But that that might be just me.

It's still of course infused with quite a lot of modern gameplay sensibilities compared to oldschool Deus Ex and original System Shocks. But it stays surprisingly true to them, including the clear non-gunplay focus and extremely high quality level design.
>>
>>379391002
If game development & marketing worked the way you think it works, then go become a gaming industry consultant and rake in hundreds of thousands as you teach publishers how to develop & market their games, saving them hundreds of millions.

>95% of those [80 million] went into buying ads

That implies that it only cost $4 million to develop the game. Do you know how many people worked on the game full-time? For a AAA game team, your core team is going to be 150-300 people.
But lets say 200 people on average. 200 people with an average salary of $60k/year. That's $12 million/year in just salaries. That's not including equipment, software licenses, overtime, employee benefits, insurance etc.
So say the "extra" costs on top of an employees salary is about $20k/year. That bumps our expenses up to $16 million/year in salaries + extras. A game takes 2-5 years to develop, for sake of argument lets say it takes 3 years for our hypothetical game.
Over 3 years, the cost of your employees comes out to around $48 million/year. So for your $80 million budget, you're left with $32 million for: Extra equipment needed during development, travel expenses, voice acting, marketing, manufacturing & distribution, and of course marketing.

This is all of course very rough, making a lot of assumptions. But it's meant to give you an idea of how production budgets get so large so fast. It's not "they spent all the money on ads!", it's the increased team sizes & manhours required.
And this isn't very new either, even in the 80's and 90's you had games that had LARGE budgets. FF VII cost something like $45 million to develop ($68 million inflation-adjusted).
Thread posts: 241
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.