[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, this game exists and its on sale right now. Is it good? Should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

File: The_Evil_Within_boxart[1].jpg (21KB, 295x336px) Image search: [Google]
The_Evil_Within_boxart[1].jpg
21KB, 295x336px
So, this game exists and its on sale right now.
Is it good? Should i get it?
Im a big fan of RE4 and Dead Space.
>>
pls respond
>>
>>379297772
Just buy it OP it's a bretty good game, your tastes also match the game so no problems
>>
it's pretty good, just don't expect anything new or innovative.

Just a modern decent horror TPS
>>
It's pretty janky but I enjoyed it desu.

Can get pretty trippy, it's like Resident Evil 4 with a splash of psychological horror.
>>
>>379297772
Sounds like you'll enjoy it yes. It's very similar to RE4 overall.
>>
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the characters are terrible. As I play, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, something "strange" happened for no reason.
>>
>>379299862
>The writing is dreadful; the characters are terrible.

Literally who the fuck plays a Shinji Mikami game for the writing and story?
>>
>>379300020

This. Are we going to pretend RE4 had a story now? Vanquish?
>>
>>379297772
It's a very shitty RE4 knockoff.
>>
>>379297772
It's a perfectly serviceable Resident Evil game.

One problem is that a lot of the writing of the game feels like it's meant to be a send up of the torture horror genre but it lacks the self-awareness to be a pastiche so ends up being a shitty horror plot.

I was hoping for Cabin In The Woods style plotting but none of that came to fruition.
>>
The shooting is fun, I didn't enjoy the pacing and way the envoronment changes inconsequential.
I get that it's part of the theme but the transitions just made it feel lazy.

Also if you do get it disable the disgusting color grading effect and apply reshade.
>>
>>379300560

So basically if I want a mindless zombie grinding third person shooter, it'll do?
>>
the game literally gives you like 5 bullets at a time as well, which i kinda like
>>
>>379300665
Yeah.
There are some """puzzles""" and slow passages however, that's what I mean with bad pacing.
>>
>>379276240
If you like the whole "you can't kill it, you have to run!" gimmick being reused again and again
>>
>>379297772
Yeah. I bought it for cheap recently, story's a bit dry but it is very fun and worth it if you like the genre.
>>
This level was pretty good.
>>
>>379300843
That's only ever actually true with Ruvik, and other than the mansion he doesn't really show up all that often.
He's also stupidly easy to avoid in the first place.
>>
>>379300843

>linking to offtopic /v/ - Politics thread

No.
>>
>>379301242
>>
>>379301370
>>379301242

Looks worth playing just for the atmosphere. Is the sound design pretty good?
>>
>>379301450
Nothing remarkable, don't expect Dead Space level audio design.
But it's servicable.
>>
>>
I don't get why people shit on the story and writing. I thought it was pretty good and the ending while preparing for a sequel did well to reveal what was actually going on.
>>
Did you ever play Alone in the Dark New Nightmare or any other decent ps1 resi clones? Its like that only for the current gen. Don't go in expecting exhilarating story, but it does well at being a weird twin peaksy survival horror
>>
Doesn't this game take quite a pc to run it?

My friend has a pretty beastly pc and he can't stream it because the game is really taxing apparently?
>>
>>379297772
Play the two story DLCs immediately after. It literally turns the entire game from a muddled mess into a (slightly) coherent one.
>>
>>379302550
good point, how fuckin heavy is this game on PC? Would a GTX 980 manage to max it in 1920*1080?
>>
>>379302932
i7 4770 with 780 Ti here, it runs maxed out with zero problems.
>>
File: 1481315563211.jpg (1MB, 992x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1481315563211.jpg
1MB, 992x1440px
>>379297772
To be honest RE4 and Dead Space are miles better

I've played all 3 games you mentioned and let me say that The Evil Within is not a very satisfying game. The plot is all over the place and incomprehensible, the levels have no sembalnce of connectivity or overarching goal (everything melts into the next level), and the worst of all is this.

The Evil Within is loaded to the brim with bullshit instant death shit you don't see coming.I died maybe twice in Dead Space, the pressure was on me constantly and DS was that much more satisfying for it. RE4 is a classic masterpiece, and when you die you'll eventually kick in the dynamic difficulty (spawns less enemies)

Evil Within has none of that. It's bullshit through and through. I'm sorry man. Here's some titties for your trouble though,.
>>
>>379303873
Levels meting into each other was what they were going for, and I think it works for the most part. But the plot is pretty jank and they didn't nail the balance of damage to enemies vs damage they can do to you. Some great boss fights though.
>>
Good:
Atmosphere
Bosses
Creature Designs
(some) levels
Fun weapons and a solid upgrade path
Matches

Bad:
Story
Late game enemies
Transforms into a dull shooter in the last few hours (much like RE4)

The start is pretty damn promising though.
>>
Total garbage.
>>
Who was the man in the window?
>>
File: 190.jpg (218KB, 817x1024px) Image search: [Google]
190.jpg
218KB, 817x1024px
>>379304367
>Bad
>Story
this meme needs to stop,

It's easily above any other survival horror's story if you actually put it together and understand what the hell was actually going on. The dlc's aren't even nessecary to understand the story.
>>
>>379297772
the story is a retarded mess and it tries real hard to ripoff RE4 gameplay. If it's like $5 or under and you don't care about story, go for it
>>
>>379297772
It's supposed to be a horror game but fails miserably at that.

Story and characters are awful.
>>
>>379303760
good to know, thanks bro
>>
>>379297772
It's better than RE4.
>>
>>379303873
You are a good example to show how people hating on this game are actually just casuals as fuck.

This game had no fucking jumpscare deaths you speak of, you literally died because the game was simply harder and you were shit. It's a game where you can't get away with spamming headshots like in RE4 but actually have to utilize different equpment to their fullest potential, and the enemies were also way more aggressive and threatening.

The story is totally explained and it's really good, IF YOU actually read the documents/listen the records. The game was supposed to feel like a chaotic mind trip that you have to put together.

Sure the game wasn't scarry, but you should realise realise by now the only reason you found RE4 scarry is because you played it as a kid and I'm pretty sure you would still find TEW pretty scarry then.
>>
>>379306703

Are the DLCs worth picking with? The discount is pretty good if I buy everything in one shot
>>
>>379305780
>the story is a retarded mess
it's more like you are too retarded to not understand a story that isn't showed directly down your throat
>it tries real hard to ripoff RE4 gameplay
wow, the game's creator "ripps off" his own game, how could he do that
>>
>>379303760
Using a sweet fx preset? If so which one?
>>
>>379306972
they are kind of nessecary. They make the story a much clearer.
>>
>>379307216
ok, thx
>>
File: TEW partner healing.jpg (53KB, 416x331px) Image search: [Google]
TEW partner healing.jpg
53KB, 416x331px
>>379297772
I didn't like TEW. I went in expecting something like RE4 and the beginning was great but the game shit the bed around the catacombs. The story twist is revealed way too early so when you see shit that couldn't possibly exist you already know the explanation and the bad guy remembers things that he wasn't there for which is part of a halfass attempt to make you feel bad for the guy currently trying to murder you which really falls flat because this dude basically put mental patients in SAW-style killhouses, although I'm a little unclear on whether that was real or they were also hooked up to the machine that you're hooked up to or both. I guess that the bit of story that's locked behind the stealth-centric DLC might clear that up but I haven't even bothered to watch that, let alone buy it. Also there are way too many instant deaths later in the game and the stealth is cool but janky as fuck. Sometimes I'd use traps to deal some damage to a patrolling enemy and then everyone would magically know where I was.
>>
It's good.

I bought it for $9 new on PS4 last spring. Was worth it for sure. If you can get it for less than $10 I'd say that's a great deal.
>>
File: 1436029986788.jpg (86KB, 633x738px) Image search: [Google]
1436029986788.jpg
86KB, 633x738px
>>379297772
This game has genuinely fun and interesting combat mechanics.

The game will often throw a shitton of enemies at you but not a lot of ammo, so you have to get a bit clever with how you take them down. It's a kind of action horror that I think often gets way too much shit.
>>
>>379306972
Kidman DLC is fucking great.
>>
>>379307825
when I first finished the game I seriously thought people here will be praising it like hell

the combat was fucking engaging, and pretty well designed. The story was also similarly like DaS's in the sense that it doesn't really explain it to you except the very basics and you actually had to piece it together from the documents and records you've found.
>>
The story is a jumbled mess in terms of narrative pacing but it's genuinely interesting and its world-building is actually pretty neat. It's just a shame that you can tell that they had a hard time dropping hints of Sebastian's past and its thematic relevance to Ruvik/MOBIUS.

Kidman's DLC actually manages to shed light on all of this and actually improves the entire story a lot better, mostly due in part that it was made well after the game had finished and was written/directed by different staff altogether.
>>
>>379297772
6/10 for me
its a worse version of resident evil 4, and not say im blinded by nostalgia i actually went ahead and played re4 again just after i finished it
and i was shocked how much more polished and all around better re4 feels in every aspect

evil within feel more archaic and dated design wise for some reason, its a combination of clunky gameplay and half finished features where in re4 the same control shame is supplemented by good combat and inventory management mechanics
>>
>>379309571
I seriuosly can't understand this opinion

RE4 is literally spamming headshots through the whole game

TEW's combat is so fucking engaging compared to that with all the different bolts and traps that you actually had to utilize. Do people seriously only want simple shooters?

There was also nothing clunky in the controls considering it's literally an updated RE4's controls. The only thing I can think why people thought it is is because you had to use a lot more equipments or actions and more buttons in general so you could often press the wrong buttons because you didn't memorized them yet.
>>
>>379310391
>RE4
>Shoot enemy in head or knee
>Follow prompt for melee attack
>Ded
Wow this is shit!
>TEW
>Shoot enemy in knee
>Follow prompt to drop match
>Ded
Wow how engaging!
>>
>>379311026
>>379310391
/v/ really is full of retards who make judgements based on surface-level mechanics. You guys probably think RE5 is the same too. Don't >> me.
>>
>>379310391
The problem is that TEW combat just dosnt work.
Its more demanding and requires more dynamism while having the same clunky controls of re4.
The guns are another problem,most of crossbow bolt types overlap in use and the number of them in turn limits other weapon selection.
Another thing that ruins the combat is stamina, its fucking joke you run out of it after 3 seconds, and that you have to first upgrade it in the skill tree.
This in urn creates another problem, since stamina and ammo damage and count are so much important it makes the entire skill tree worthless as this are must have things you will have to upgrade and by the time you can afford skilling other things game is over,

RE4 knew its own limits when it comes to the limitations of its camera and control system, this game dosnt. This is doubly true of that traps that can be obscured by black fucking strips on the screen.
>>
>>379310391
I liked TEW's atmosphere more.
>>
>>379311295
My point was that he's oversimplifying RE4 and that the same can be done to TEW you dumbass.
>>
>>379311443
>while having the same clunky controls of re4.
Did it? I remember being able to move while aiming, might be wrong though.
>>
I absolutely loved this game. Its really underrated.
>>
>>379297772
go get it on G2A for 3 buckeroos, like i did last week, lad
>>
File: file.png (7KB, 221x78px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7KB, 221x78px
>triggered
>>
>>379297772
Its a bad game.
worth about 2.99 with all dlc included I would say
>>
>>379297772
It sucks OP, don't buy it.
>>
>>379312276
Don't trust G2A, people have bought stolen CD Keys from them and had their Steam account Vac banend.

G2A is Poison.
>>
i thought it was enjoyable
Looks great. some of the monsters have neat designs. Decent atmosphere. Feels like a poor mans RE4 at times
a 7/10 game
>>
>>379297772
It's my personal all-time favorite horror game. Shinji Mikami is a genius no doubt. While TEW certainly has its flaws, there is a certain atmospheric feel and tone about the game that elevates it considerably. For instance it relies more on filling the player with an inherent sense of dread over the course of the game rather than jump scares. Definitely a must-play if you liked either RE4 or Dead Space.
>>
>>379311026
except in TEW you had 1/10 of the ammo you had in RE4.

In RE4 you just used your red9 till you ran out of ammo, then you switched to shotgun till it did the same, then back to red9 because you already got like 50 ammo.

In TEW you only had a very few ammo from a lot of different things so you actually had to use some strategy how you wanna take down enemies.
>>
>>379297772
>So, this game exists
Stopped reading right there
>>
>>379312462
>Don't trust G2A, people have bought stolen CD Keys from them and had their Steam account Vac banend.
things that never happened
>>
>>379311443
it had more fluid controls than RE4 tho since you could move freely while looking at one direction unlike in RE4

>stamina
you could level it 2 times and it literally doubled your stamina and had no problem with it for the rest of the game. It's just some currency management.
>>
>>379311443
I had no problems with TEW's skill upgrades (the stamina sprint is a joke but manageable as the game rolls along) but I found that the way the weapons worked and functioned in TEW they were far more prone to glitching out and some enemies had really ridiculous invisibility frames. Compare that to RE4, wherein the combat felt more polished despite being more robust and simplistic overall.

Doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy playing both though.
>>
>>379306703
This. I'm surprised how many people thought the story was bad. They never even tried to piece anything together.
>>
>>379312591
>except in TEW you had 1/10 of the ammo you had in RE4.
Even if I take that statement at face value you also have a ridiculously powerful crossbow that you can manufacture bolts for with the multitudes of traps that you find all over the place. That said I wasn't pressed for traditional ammo when the game started throwing SWAT teams at me.
>>
>>379312880
>you could level it 2 times and it literally doubled your stamina and had no problem with it for the rest of the game
Ye, buts thats my point.
You HAVE to upgrade it otherwise the game is an endless test in frustration.
When a skill system has some of its options so much better or even absolutely needed for why does that skill tree even exists?
It just feels unfinished or badly designed.
>>
File: 20170129231709_1.jpg (466KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170129231709_1.jpg
466KB, 1920x1080px
>>379297772
Great game with fantastic atmosphere.
Call me casual but i enjoyed it a lot more than most RE since 4.
Just try not to waste ammo.
>>
WHO'S EXCITED FOR THE SEQUEL ANNOUNCEMENT
>>
>>379297772
It's a pretty good game held back by the shit Id tech engine. Combat is fun, game takes you on a wild ride with every level, it gets spooky and tense, and the story is pretty good if you take the time to read the newspapers and audio tapes. Solid 8.5.
>>
>>379313613
Did it sell well for them to even consider? Cause it's the only thing that matters, reviews/reception means fuck all.
>>
>>379307024
self-plagiarism is a thing, Mikami is better than this or he used to be anyway

>it takes place inside a crazy guy's mind!!!!!!11!!!

subpar game in everyway

sorry you have shit taste
>>
Only real issue I had with how the controls were had to do with Sebastian's weird little jog and turning that hit this place where it was slower than it should've been, but not slow enough that it made the game unplayable. I didn't know existed. Moving him around felt really awkward at points.
I still bought it and the dlc twice on two different systems. Kind of annoyed that I couldn't find a fighting chance code for PS4 since that would've made replays go by a little faster.
>>
>>379297772
The writing in this game is so fucking bad, incoherent and nonsensical thats its kind of a special achievement in itself.
>>
>>379306703

I agree with you on a lot of the people hating on this game being casuals who didn't understand the combat at all (it didn't help it released in a horror era of jump scare amnesia clones) but you're defending the story way too much. Even if you read up on the lore it's still not presented in a satisfying way and the tape searching document reading as a form of story telling really needs to be toned down in gaming. I don't need a good thriller/horror movie to show me the lead actor reading documents to get across its atmosphere and message.

Aside from that I agree with your opinion and would suggest to any anon interested in it giving the game a try. It has a great old school feel with varied weapons that feel satisfying when they've been upgraded and some interesting locales/atmosphere but also has inconsistencies which stop it from being a "great" memorable game. Imagine the boring or badly paced parts of games that happen towards the end or mid point then instead of putting them all in one place they get mixed in between good set pieces.

If they got a sequel ideally they'd be able to go off the rails with the world they built and tighten up the directing.
>>
>>379313867
Yeah, it sold pretty well and Bethesda acknowledged it. There's rumors floating around about a possible announcement after a job posting for the sequel was leaked.
>>
Trying out the demo now to see how it will run on my system.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.