[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>13 years >videogames still can't surpass it'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 5600456834.png (1MB, 1560x936px) Image search: [Google]
5600456834.png
1MB, 1560x936px
>13 years
>videogames still can't surpass it's facial animations

Why is this allowed? Compare fluid and animated acting in HL2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAr2rd9PVL4
To autistic wooden shit in Witcher 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvZe8SoHWtA
>>
>>379273848
>from low poly cartoony looney tunes to highly detailed realistic, living, breathing characters
whoa
>>
File: sh3 motel - ps2 animations.webm (3MB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
sh3 motel - ps2 animations.webm
3MB, 800x480px
that new Marvel whatever game had pretty good facial animations, though they were obviously mocapped.

Hand-animated and modeled visuals are starting to become an obsolete, forgotten artform.

>meanwhile on PS2
>>
Source engine excelled at facial animation. Just look at VTMB. I'd say those are the most expressive faces I've seen in a game, even if they are somewhat cartoonish at times I'd rather have that then the wooden faces seen in modern games.
>>
>>379274523
Legacy of kain: Defiance had more facial expression than most games nowadays, and that shit was a ps2 game.
>>
File: 1478297328894.png (9KB, 362x358px) Image search: [Google]
1478297328894.png
9KB, 362x358px
>>379273848
>every response is just two options to say either "Yep" or "Really?" just to pretend like your cutscene isn't a cutscene
Is this the fabled best RPG evarrr?
>>
>>379274357
I will stand by my opinion that SH3 looks superior to the vast majority of current games visually. There is a crispness and level of granular detail that seems to be completely absent from current games, where everything looks like it has been smoothed and rounded down with an airbrush.
>>
>>379274523
No engine can just whip out great models and animations without great artists behind them. Team-Silent games and almost anything big on Source-engine are great examples of this. Especially TS' guys literally stared their own faces in the mirror in order to spot all the minor changes that occur with different expressions and emotions, and then manually recreated them in their models.

I don't quite agree with OP using TW3 as a "bad" example from modern times; Fallout 4 would be a way more fitting example, with its uncanny, low-poly mouth flapping. It's just insane how TS already in 2001 mentioned how just talking affects your facial muscles all the way to your forehead level, yet you don't see any of that happening in Bethesda games.
>>
File: sh3 douglas nope optimized.gif (4MB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
sh3 douglas nope optimized.gif
4MB, 640x430px
>>379275110
Just about anything from the old Team-Silent does. And the most ironic thing is, they did it all on a system that is something like 1/100 as powerful as modern mainstream gaming machines.

>inb4 "they cheated by doing this and that!"
More like they knew what they were doing, and pushed the boundaries of the era's limitations. Something seldom happens anymore.
>>
>What is LA Noire?
>>
>>379275946
Fine movie
>>
>>379275946
Came here to post this.
>>
>>379275946
Gigantic, uncanny heads, on tiny stick bodies.
And again, mocapped, non-realtime animations.
>>
because its too hard to make face animations without mocap when you don't have talent on your team
>>
>>379273848
Holy shit those animations actually are amazing.
Never noticed that.
I thought you were an idiot. posting on v and whatever.
>>
>>379275946
LA Noire, GTA V, Uncharted 4, Gears of War 4, you name it
>>
>>379277492
L.A Noire falls into the uncanny valley.
>>
>>379278843
No it really doesn't. Perhaps youre confused as to what uncanny valley means.
>>
File: metroidprime2dolphin.jpg (464KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
metroidprime2dolphin.jpg
464KB, 1920x1080px
>>379275110
I don't know what it is about 6th gen games, but they look so much sharper and cleaner to me than most modern games do. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I like their simple, easy-to-understand geometry, and the lack of screen-cluttering lighting and particle effects is also nice.
>>
>>379278998
>animations/models/textures giving creepy vibes because they are not stylized or realistic enough
>>
>>379275110
It looks better than today's games with ease.
So many games look so shitty now. They have the technology but it's like they refuse to make a person look like a person anymore because of industry trends.
>>
>>379276714
>And again, mocapped

And? It's the superior way of animating faces, objectively. Easier/cheaper to do and produces better results. There's a reason it's become the new standard.

>non-realtime animations

Are you fucking retarded or something? All animations are pre programmed, whether they are mocapped or done by hand. What exactly do you think a "realtime animation" is?
>>
>>379279360
lol no
>>
>>379273848
>"As for the suit, I think you've earned it."
>Start HL2 without the HEV
What a douche.
>>
>>379279332
it's probably because you're emulating them in 1080p on a far more powerful PC, play them on the original hardware and you'll notice how blurry and pixelated they typically were.
>>
>>379279332
I understand what you mean.
>>
>>379274357
Source doesn't have hand-made animations. It's a bunch of presets. They just look damn fucking good, especially when fuckers like Rockstar spent as much money as they did on that contraption of a thousand cameras only for the results to be lesser.
>>
>>379280492
refusing his offer is the canon ending
>>
>>379281517
>Source doesn't have hand-made animations. It's a bunch of presets.

>I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about look at me shitpost mom!

HL2 looks great for what it is, but if you honestly think its better than modern mocap facial animations you're delusional.
>>
>>379281760
Yes. It is a bunch of presets. I remember watching the Icons special on Valve back when Icons was a thing.
> but if you honestly think its better than modern mocap facial animations you're delusional.
It is better. Do you have poor eyesight? It's more cost-effective, too. L.A. Noire's faces have the uncanny valley crap going on, as well as a strange blur.
>>
>>379273848
Lots of eyebrow wagglin
>>
>>379273848
>forgetting about vampire the masquerade
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.