[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most overly complicated game? What is one that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 11

File: 1438269638497.png (786KB, 857x746px) Image search: [Google]
1438269638497.png
786KB, 857x746px
What is the most overly complicated game? What is one that's bloated by the overuse of game mechanics?

Is there a game that is made ultimately unplayable by some degree of unecessary stats or activities that you must do?

What's a game that features some combat mechanic or gimmick that basically doesn't fit in with the rest of the gameplay?
>>
>>379253287
I honestly can't think of a game I would call "overly complicated", but it's all a matter of personal tastes. Take simulation games for example. People will disagree on what levels of detail/realism are desirable. (Interestingly, Will Wright preferred the first SimCity to the later ones. He thought the increased complexity detracted from the overall experience, and I know there are people who agree).

Also, on an unrelated note, that's a lot of piss bottles.
>>
early WC3 DotA was pretty obtuse
>>
>>379253287
Knights in the Nightmare. No question
>>
No, really. Look up the tutorials.
>>
>>379254287
REALLY? I've seen this game before, but picked up different tactical RPGs instead.

I remember Yggdrasil Union being pretty complicated... Or more so, there was just a lot of stuff going on underneath the hood that I didn't understand.
>>
La-Mulana had some extremely retarded puzzles that were almost impossible to decipher without the use of a guide.
>>
File: 1490793004233.png (715KB, 791x672px) Image search: [Google]
1490793004233.png
715KB, 791x672px
Arma games before 3
>>
>>379254376
Oh shit, I heard about this game once. Apparently the menu for doing commands is a bullet hell.
>>
Xenoblade Chronicles
>>
File: dislike it! FUCK!.png (926KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
dislike it! FUCK!.png
926KB, 1334x750px
Pokemon as of diamond and pearl.
Having attack and special attack and defense and special defense and remembering which moves use which and which pokemon have high or low defense or special defense is just too much. Idk how anyone can call it a kids game
>>
>>379254485
I want to play this game so bad, but I think it's pretty much the only game on the Wii U that I want, and it's hard to justify that purchase for one game. Are there any other JRPGs of note on that system?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>379254287
>>379254376
>real time battles, isometric grid
>control a "Wisp" on the touch screen
>hover over units to command them and attack
>Wisp is constantly under attack similar to a bullet hell
>normal attacks generate gems that recharge MP
>weapons have skills
>you have a timer
>however, the time only runs down when charging attacks or if the Wisp is hit by bullets
>time can be converted to EXP or MP through the pause menu
>game has a "Rush Count" system - each time an enemy is hit, this counter ups by one and activates the condition associated with that number, as long as that number remains the same between hits and if there is one available (one hit to an enemy may give a Rush Count number of replenishing to a Knight, similar to how a healing potion works in common role-playing games, while another hit may give maximum health to the enemy)
> the goal of each battle is not to defeat as many enemies as possible, but to align the enemy deaths in a tic-tac-toe style
>>
>>379254554
I really wish other games used the combat system from the Pokemon series, because I really love it, but I'm not a fan of where they took the series.

Pokemon is an unusually complex game, though. I played competitive for a little while and my dad was curious. He asked how the games worked exactly and I explained that it's basically like playing multiple levels of Rock, Paper, Scissors over one another while also keeping track of statistics and trying to anticipate what your opponent is going to do based on how much info you have memorized about whatever he's using.
>>
>>379254642
He said Xenoblade Chronicles not Xenoblade Chronicles X
>>
File: nightmarepsp2.jpg (78KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
nightmarepsp2.jpg
78KB, 480x272px
>>379254287
>>379254376
>>379254771
>This isn't accomplished in one "turn", but over multiple, since the enemies are selected manually by the player via roulette. Since boss battles always have one central enemy to kill, this system isn't used, and is instead represented by a health bar going across the bottom of the screen

>Permadeath exists as characters have a "Vitality" stat which decreases when they use skills, and the same applies to the Equipment, but is referred in-game as "Durability". Vitality is replenished through leveling up in the Setup screen, the "Transoul" system, and other special circumstances such as the "Rush Count" system, while Durability is similarly acquired from merging like Equipment.
>>
>>379253287

TIS-100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJVH"5TZQFY

"It’s the assembly language programming game you never asked for!
>>
File: header[1].jpg (29KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg
29KB, 460x215px
>>
>>379253287
Is she drinking bottles of vomit?
>>
File: IMG_0744.jpg (80KB, 399x501px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0744.jpg
80KB, 399x501px
Eye Cancer: The Game
>>
>>379254851
OH! My bad. I've played Xenoblade Chronicles. While I liked the game a lot, I didn't like that weird sword you get near the beginning. I feel like it was somehow a little gimmicky. The whole system was fine before they added that sort've "overdrive" system or whatever it's called.
>>
>>379254771
>>379254857
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy3IpQjCCCQ
Finally some gameplay for anyone curious.
>>
>>379254943

Those are piss bottles.
>>
>>379254419
Yes. Fortunately there was an anon in this thread that was kind enough to explain exactly how retarded that game is. You really dodged a bullet. Yggdrasil Union was bad, but nowhere near as bad as KitNM
>>
File: 1435557183646.gif (3MB, 341x192px) Image search: [Google]
1435557183646.gif
3MB, 341x192px
>>379254554
Are you mentally disabled? If you had said something like breeding for IV's or egg moves or EV training then I could see that. But just a simple fucking phys/special split is too much?
>>
>>379254950
Casul
>>
Only one that comes to mind. Tried it several times and still didn't know what was going on.
>>
>>379255337
I liked this game a lot, but I had to read through the manual several times and look up a guide online before I was able to make any progress in it.

Once you get going it's actually pretty darn good.
>>
>>379254950

Oh right that was a thing. Didn't the MC have like a really normal boring name
>>
Slash'EM (NetHack variant, "Super Lotsa Added Stuff Hack - Extended Magic") comes to my mind. NetHack in its own right is a bit tongue on cheek with nerd humour and shit (from Dune like Crysknife to a literal mail demon bringing you mail if you play on Unix systems) but Slash'EM brings it to another level with lightsabers and shit, ruining the DnD/dungeon crawling aesthetic. And NetHack doesn't exactly NEED more stuff because it already has loads, so the super lotsa added stuff tends to be to its handicap.
>>
>>379253287
dwarf fortress
>>
>>379253287
Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor
for the Xbox 360 System with Kinect™
>>
>>379254376
>>379254771
>>379254857
Come here to post this, holy shit they really overdesigned the game
>>
People are gonna (rightfully) call me a retard for this but I dropped vagrant story two hours in because none of my attacks dealt more than 1 damage despite seemingly trying every combination of weapon type/element.
>>
>>379253287
what movie was this
>>
>>379259029
Boku no Pico.
>>
>>379254485
I just got this on dolphin and I wasn't expecting it to be as weird as it is.
>befriend random npcs so you can trade for better stuff or something!
Should I just do the main quest?
>>
>>379253287
Final Fantasy VIII
>>
>>379255014
literally why
>>
X3: Terrain Conflict/Albion Prelude

Literally no tutorial and put in the middle of space with your small ship. Game is good though when you actually understand how it works.
>>
>>379253287
bump er
>>
>>379253287
Aurora
>>
File: 51X0H561A1L.jpg (49KB, 427x500px) Image search: [Google]
51X0H561A1L.jpg
49KB, 427x500px
>>379253287

i wasn't the only one who could never figure out how to play flight simulator 98, right?
>>
>>379257632
count me on the 0 damage train.Had to study the wiki to understand what the fuck was going on
>>
>>379253287
Dota 2.
>>
>>379254376
>get this game
>confused as fuck as to what to do
>ignore tutorials and just get on with the game
>finish it without any problems

It's not difficult, but it is complicated at first. Very fun actually, looking back.
>>
>>379255014
I honestly don't get why anyone would put in the effort to play this I'm genuinely curious what is it about this game they find enjoyable
>>
Knights in the Nightmare. Not even Unlimited SaGa and The Last Remnant was this hard to get.
>>
>>379259546
X3 is very beginner friendly compared to its predeccessors. And even those aren't that difficult.

It's kinda similiar to Hearts of Iron, which appears to be very hard but you just need to play for a few hours to grasp the basic concepts.

The most complicated and confusing games I have played are some autism simulators like Aurora or Distant Universe. Luckily the latter has an AI that manages some task for you
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.