[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes the oldschool Fallout games allegedly so much better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_8113.jpg (39KB, 572x257px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8113.jpg
39KB, 572x257px
What makes the oldschool Fallout games allegedly so much better than Todd's nu-fallout games?

Serious question
>>
>Nostalgia
><=4 Intelligence runs
>Exploiting the leveling was fun. Some people dislike how balanced (boring) modern leveling is
>>
>>379239050
Everything but the graphics
>>
New Fallout is sinfully unpolished, underdeveloped, and uninspired. In the hands of a competent developer it could be so much more. It's painful that a one of the most interesting and deep neckbeard games got so popular among the normies. They're going to casualize this shit out of this series forever and there's nothing you can do about it. With Fallout 3 there was still some hope that things may improve, but then the trainwreck that is Fallout 4 turned out to be the most dumbed-down garbage ever made, you knew it could never recover.
>>
>>379239050
>What makes the oldschool Fallout games allegedly so much better than Todd's nu-fallout games?

Bethesda so far has just been trying whatever they want with the series to see what sticks, they have no idea what's good or bad for it because they didn't create the IP, this is why 3 is bad and 4 isn't worthy of the title.
>>
File: 1456124132194.jpg (31KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
1456124132194.jpg
31KB, 600x462px
>>379240087
>unpolished
I hope you don't think Fallout 1 was polished
>>
>>379240087
>uninspired
I think this is the biggest factor that separates good from bad Fallout, and good from bad games in general. All the good Fallout games were designed by building an interesting world that the player could explore. All the bad Fallout games were designed around the concern that the player would get alienated by an unfamiliar world. The former requires inspiration, the latter does not.
>>
>>379241169
>>379240087
>>379239963

These are shorty answers, they just say why they think bethesda fallout is bad, not specifically which details about the old ones are good.
>>
Old fallout
>Here's an open world you know nothing about, everyone's going to die if you don't get your shit together right now.

Nu-fallout
>pretending to be a cowboy/mad max until you get bored and finish the main story
>>
>>379241273
Literally any part of Fallout 1 is leagues above the bullshit retarded level of awful bugs, voice acting, design, character animations, models, textures, glitches, and unspeakably stupid shit in new the new Fallout games.

I can't even comprehend how Bethesda gets away with such low quality untested shit in their games. They are a huge publisher with several multi-million best-sellers. Rockstar makes Bethesda look like nothing. On top of that, Fallout 1 is a (comparatively) niche game from 20 years ago. There's no excuse.
>>
worldbuilding
art direction
actual RPG elements
Fallout 1 is one of my favorite games.
>>
>>379239050
they were RPGs so in the end was all about the narrative, worldbuilding and <4 intelligence runs like >>379239507 told
The new ones focus more on being a open world and having lots to do, so it's more a adventure game with a leveling system stapled

A good example of this are the side quests, in the old ones depending on your build some of them were simply impossible or would go in completely different ways, in the new ones all of them follow the same script with only how you act making the difference
>>
File: 463453432.jpg (179KB, 720x957px) Image search: [Google]
463453432.jpg
179KB, 720x957px
>>379242549

>pretending to be a cowboy/mad max

wasnt fallout originally based off of mad max? werent you able to drive a car in 1 and 2?

talking about driving do you think we'll ever have mounts or vehicles in falllout?
>>
File: Newspapers.jpg (104KB, 973x549px) Image search: [Google]
Newspapers.jpg
104KB, 973x549px
>>379239050
(((ROLE PLAYING)))
also the writing/dialog
>>
>>379242825
It was.
It's why the leather armour was the best looking in the whole game.

I want to know what happened to Set
>>
File: 1488084654867.jpg (21KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1488084654867.jpg
21KB, 576x432px
>>379242635
>Fallout 1 is leagues above the bullshit retarded unspeakably stupid shit in new the new Fallout games.
Sure, if you like all that jank. Which people did. It's still not polished. Perks that didn't work. Leveling HP not working as advertised. "It's okay when Fallout 1/2 does it" random encounters. Tactical combat controls with no tactical control.
>>
>>379242825
>talking about driving do you think we'll ever have mounts or vehicles in falllout?
When Bethesda is willing to tackle that simple task, yeah we will.
>>
Why do people compare games of completely different genres like this??
Youre basically arguing that super mario world is better than mario sunshine
>>
>>379246345
got nothing better to do. and we have opinions that people validate by responding to them.
>>
>>379242340
They don't do the things that Bethesda done did
>>
>>379242635
>'tactical combat' that is entirely composed of aiming for the eye
>turns can take minutes if the enemies are slow and numerous even at the fastest game speed
>quests that literally teleport you to your objective the moment you accept them
>quests that literally teleport you back the moment you complete them
>conversations with anyone outside of the people with doll heads are complete trash

Fallout 3 is a better game. It is still shit though and I'd never play either of them ever again.
>>
>>379244447
>"It's okay when Fallout 1/2 does it"
I hate this argument, because it pretends that execution is 100% the same 100% of the time. The random encounters in 3 were shit, and the random encounters in 1/2 were not.
>>
>>379239050
they're old and you can pretend you've played them while other people didn't

oldfag here, fallout was bad when it came out. the gore was cool. SPECIAL system was cool in the first games.
>>
>>379247083
Explain how. Encounters in FO1 were one of the three:

>you find a bunch of pissed off mutants/bandits/undesirables that want to gut you
>you find some random travelers/brahmin that do nothing interesting
>you find something ridiculously overpowered with little or no requirements besides luck

Just like in Fallout 3, the encounters in Fallout 1 were shit.
>>
>>379239050

Fallout 1 and 2 were solid RPGs. Fallout 1 especially did some pretty unique stuff, and was just all-around a top-tier game for the time. Both games had style and aesthetic, as well as humor and a good story.

The areas where those games were strong, however, is generally where the news ones fail. Fallout 3 and 4, anyway, were both pretty bad stroy-wise and they flubbed a lot of elements of the setting and aesthetic. They made up for it to some extent with exploration, and Fallout 4 had generally pretty acceptable gameplay, so which you prefer between the old and new is at least somewhat arguable and up to taste.

New Vegas, though, was a pretty excellent blend of both, and is probably the best of the lot. Possibly a bit behind Fallout 1, possibly a bit ahead.
>>
>>379239050
Nostalgia
>>
>>379247452
By the nature of the gameplay and how the encounters were presented.
>>
>>379247645
But the gameplay is the entire reason the encounters are trash. There is no reason to actually engage; everyone I know just runs away as soon as combat starts since it saves time that would be otherwise wasted killing the exact same pack of monsters for the umpteenth time. The "presentation" was almost always just 2-5 individuals spawned randomly around you (brahmin, merchants, bandits, mutants, radscorpions, etc). And then if your luck is high enough, you'd get a cute little sprite of a single interesting thing that contains overpowered loot (ie a single giant foot imprint containing a stealth boy, a single truck containing a bazillion caps). The only encounter I remember that was actually good was the guy with the car market: it had an interesting character, the loot wasn't just out in the open and it had an amusing idea.
>>
File: Lou.png (518KB, 803x414px) Image search: [Google]
Lou.png
518KB, 803x414px
>>379247009
>Fallout 3 is a better game. It is still shit though and I'd never play either of them ever again.
never speak again

also,
>he only aimed for the eyes
no wonder you didn't find it fun

pic related is a better character than literally anyone in bethesda's fallout games
>>
File: bait low quality.jpg (2KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
bait low quality.jpg
2KB, 100x100px
>>379251109
(you)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBTdfAkqGU

Cause you could drive around california in a classic muscle car with your doggo and marcus shooting raiders killing asshole kids, pimping women, while hyped up on jet. New vegas was close to it I guess. FO3 had some cool sightseeing but bethesda couldve done so much more to the interiors and made the capitol wasteland a corrupt shithole with idk politician ghouls and shit.

Playing tactics now and we need a chiraq fallout
>>
>>379251338
Really though, if Strong was in Fallout 1/2, you'd like him as much as any other follower.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.