[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3 months later, I can safely assume Wind Waker is still better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 11

3 months later, I can safely assume Wind Waker is still better than Breath of the Wild.

By a large mile.

>better art style
>better story
>better OST
>barren overworld still has more charm and more unique secrets to uncover other than visiting the same sheikah-themed mini dungeon 120 times
>no durability system
>secondary weapons/gadgets deliver way more fun in battles than the dull selection of BotW runes
>parry/dodge rolls do work flawlessly and smoothly
>it has actual boss battles
>it has more variety in dungeons even being one of the worst 3D Zeldas in that aspect
>it actually has dungeons in it
>the ending feels like an accomplishment, the final boss battle(s) are engaging and pose some challenge, each one has a different pacing and strategies. Even the short, QTE-fleshed final battle is stunning when compared to a giant pig that doesn't move at all and wait until you strike it in his glowing spots
>>
File: 1496705270034.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1496705270034.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>379236118
>>
I cant think of any strategy the last ganon fight had

you literally cant do anything except parry him

>it has more variety in dungeons

LMAO
>>
>>379236118

BotW is a disappointment but WW is like the one major Zelda it's better than. BotW's world exploration is basically WW's but better, WW's dungeons are so bad that no dungeons are arguably better, and while it's dull as shit BotW has way more TECHNOLOGY going on than WW. No seriously, fuck you for making me defend this mediocre pile.
>>
>>379236852
fpbp. windwaker was crap. zelda in general is for babies though
>>
Breathe of the Wild had story?
>>
>The same shiekah themed mini dungeon 120 times

Instead we get block islands that are literally a quarter of the size of a shrine and copy pasted, dice side islands, Ice and Fire mini dungeons that are smaller than some shrines

Fuck off retard

>>379237497
Yeah you kind of get it forced down your throat in the tutorial retard
>>
>>379236962
>phase 1: parry and attack
>phase 2: dodge his attacks until zelda shoots him in the back with a light arrow then use the opening to attack more
>phase 3: he gets smarter and dodges everything, except you have to place yourself between him and Zelda in a triangle shape, grab the mirror shield so she will shoot an arrow at you and the shield will reflect the light into his face
>you have like 1 second to run to him and deliver the final blow

in opposite to

>wait until a glowing spot appears
>shoot a light arrow
>rinse and repeat to credits roll

also

>more variety in dungeons
sadly it is true, WW has: 1- fire dungeon; 2- forest dungeon; 3- tower dungeon; 4- wind dungeon; 5- earth dungeon; 6- pirate fortress; 7- castle dungeon

vs

1- sheikah mini dungeons x120; 2- divine beast dungeon x4; 3- castle dungeon

you know, quantity =/= variety
>>
MM > WW > OoT > BotW > TP > SS

BotW was okay, but you can tell it was designed in a way that you see everything pretty quickly. It's just the same stuff copy pasted all over to ensure you won't miss any of the main elements by taking an odd path.
>>
>>379237658

so in other words

>wait for a QTE
>Do literally nothing
>wait for the AI to shoot at you

wow, now thats enthralling gameplay
>>
File: 200_s.gif (33KB, 301x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
33KB, 301x200px
>>379237746
>I'm an edgy, millennial faggot: The post
>>
>>379237746
I'd change it to

MM > OoT > WW > BotW > SS > TP

but that's about personal taste for one or two games, the fact is, BotW is far from being in the top
>>
File: unknown.png (1MB, 615x1722px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
1MB, 615x1722px
Windwaker is so ridiculously fucking overrated holy shit
>>
>>379237753
so, do you prefer

>stand still
>shoot an arrow in his 5 glowing spots
>don't even use the horse at all since it's faster without it (lol)
>shoot the last glowing spot in his head by doing absolutely nothing but using the paraglider
>credits
>>
>>379237746

TP > OoT = MM >>> SS > BotW > WW

If it makes you feel better, drop TP below the N64 titles, I don't really care. Not budging on the rest, though.
>>
How the hell is an actual overworld filled with minidungeons not instantly better than the great nothing, dotted with garbage islands?

The overworld in Windwaker is literally blank expanses of nothing doing hunts for treasure chests of fucking nothing inbetween dungeons

It's so god damned awful they had to make a plot point that forces you to explore it and it's meager copy pasted islands with the Triforce hunt because it's so bad everybody else just rushed straight to the next plot point
>>
>>379236118
You are crazy. BotW was better in every single way, it was everything Wind Waker should've been without any of the lazy shortcuts.

The absolute weakest parts of BotW still btfo anything WW had to offer. WW was lazy and rushed. Half of its islands were copy-pasted content that wasn't good the first time. The other half were part of a mandatory padding quest to finish the game. It has the most boring dungeons in any Zelda game. It had the worst method of travel in possibly any "open world" video game ever made. Its overworld had less enemy variety than BotW. Its sidequests were rock bottom being tedious as hell and with rewards worse than anything in BotW. Its story clung onto OoT's coat-tails for dear life but managed to fuck up the simplicity of a rescue-the-princess story with an idiot plot and the only reason millenial dumbasses jerk themselves off over it is because they're so stupid that they think one wistful line means Ganondorf dindu nuffin.
>>
>>379237831

What's wrong? You a SS fan?
>>
>>379238082
correct answer
>>
>>379238310
if you think about it, BotW is also filled with even more tons of nothing since

>every shrine you complete reward you with a "piece of heart" or "stamina vessel" at your choice

>you get chests with breakable so you can break them in 10-15 hits to replace that one you broke to get that chest

or

>get guardian parts so you can forge guardian weapons that also breaks, so you can use them to hunt for more parts to make more guardian weapons

(except for maybe 9 shrines out of 120 that has useful, unique parts of exclusive clothing sets)

It get pointless as fuck once you realize that.
>>
>>379238868
What do I get for visiting the six sided dice islands in WW again
>>
File: DlWpVdF.png (30KB, 233x347px) Image search: [Google]
DlWpVdF.png
30KB, 233x347px
>>379236118
>>better art style
no, it's kiddie shit
>>better story
lol no
>>better OST
sure
>>barren overworld still has more charm and more unique secrets to uncover other than visiting the same sheikah-themed mini dungeon 120 times
there is no charm in a shitty blue layer with nothing on it
>>no durability system
WW items are trash
>>secondary weapons/gadgets deliver way more fun in battles than the dull selection of BotW runes
No, they're shitty items and most of them are useless
>>parry/dodge rolls do work flawlessly and smoothly
Mash B to win and QTE is not good
>>it has actual boss battles
They're braindead and even a single Lynel battle in BotW takes more skill
>>it has more variety in dungeons even being one of the worst 3D Zeldas in that aspect
Dungeons are trash
>>it actually has dungeons in it
see above

WWfags are pathetic.
>>
>>379238868
I feel like the difference here is that BotW treats these as bonuses, if you're actively searching for these then that's what you get and if not they're a little extra for the player

Whereas wind waker just has these for you to have more content for the sake of it not just being more ocean, like they had to put a small island on there and there's not much to explore on it
>>
>>379238718

>The absolute weakest parts of BotW still btfo anything WW had to offer.

Okay let's play.

>WW was lazy and rushed. Half of its islands were copy-pasted content that wasn't good the first time. The other half were part of a mandatory padding quest to finish the game.

BotW shrines are lazy, and the game uses them as a padding for the master sword quest.

>It has the most boring dungeons in any Zelda game

BotW shrines have some that are literally just "kill this one NPC" or a simple tilt puzzle.

>had the worst method of travel in possibly any "open world" video game ever made.

Sailing and teleporting really isn't much different that gliding and teleporting. But BotW likes to add horses that stop when they approach even a small rock.

>Its overworld had less enemy variety than BotW.

Fair, but BotW really just uses reskins amd recolors.

>Its sidequests were rock bottom being tedious as hell and with rewards worse than anything in BotW.

WW gave you rupees, heart containers, and a house. BotW gives you food that's beaten by just throwing 3 apples in a pot. By the time people give you resistance potions you've already bought armor that does it for you.

>Its story clung onto OoT's coat-tails for dear life but managed to fuck up the simplicity of a rescue-the-princess story with an idiot plot and the only reason millenial dumbasses jerk themselves off over it is because they're so stupid that they think one wistful line means Ganondorf dindu nuffin.

BotW does the same thing but uses fanservice from every game. And then Ganon wasn't even in control of himself he was just cursed by Demise this entire time. They literally turned him into a victim.
>>
>>379239527
>Windwaker gives you a house!

Neat so you literally did not play BOTW
>>
>>379238868
It's really not about the reward and more about the content, which I don't think gets brought up enough. BotW's world is so fun to explore because it is filled to bursting with unique content everywhere. There's different topography, biomes, flora, fauna, and then every which way has mini-challenges from enemy camps, hidden treasure chests, ore deposits, weapons, rafts, and yes, shrines. Going in any direction, there's always small rewards along the way but the world itself is varied and interesting and thirty minutes of playtime always has some new handcrafted content with unique assets. Nevermind shrines, it's fun going to a new area and finding new bugs and plants and animals that you can interact with and use in gameplay. Chasing an ostrich for the first time was memorable and interesting content.

This is extended to the other Zelda games. I've never once cared that nearly every sidequest in Zelda results in a heart piece, which is a mostly useless reward since the games are easy anyway. It's about the usually fun side content that leads to the heart piece that makes every collectible worth seeking out.

Wind Waker's biggest problem is that the side content is the laziest copy-pasted shit and none of it is any good, not that the rewards are shitty. They are, and they're way more insulting than BotW's rewards ever were (because shit like monster drops have exactly one use each that isn't fucking rupees), but I'd be okay with that if clearing the billionth watch tower was any fun. But it isn't.
>>
>>379239143

>WW items are trash

In defense of WW's items the Deku Leaf is great and it does incorporate its items well into combat scenarios. WW is near universally trash but it did do that much right. Granted, BotW arguably does all of that better but in the sense that it's WW's ideas done better.
>>
>>379238868
do you expect to permanently keep everything you find in a video game
>>
>>379239892
strange, I never had a problem with extremely fragile weapons in most games I played, or weapons breaking at all, am I playing them wrong?
>>
>>379239987
that is because you play casual shit hombre
even falloutfags know how to deal with durability
>>
>>379239527
Have you even played BOTW, judging by your statements. Especially the horse controls
>>
>>379239661
in fact, WW house (resort) has more to do inside than hanging 9 of your weapons on the wall and looking at them like a retard

you'll never return to that house after you upgrade everything and place the gear you don't wanna lose (mostly the Champion sets)

at least in WW you have a fuckton of sliding puzzles inside if you enjoy that sort of thing
>>
>>379239527
>BotW shrines are lazy, and the game uses them as a padding for the master sword quest.
>BotW shrines have some that are literally just "kill this one NPC" or a simple tilt puzzle.
Every shrine in the open has some handcrafted challenge, the other ones are behind quests or hidden behind some environmental challenge like the white bird. It is so much better than finding one of nine completely copy-pasted enemy gauntlets in Wind Waker, out of only 49 islands.

>Sailing and teleporting really isn't much different that gliding and teleporting. But BotW likes to add horses that stop when they approach even a small rock.
Both sailing and teleporting are clunky as shit, and teleporting isn't unlocked for the first half of the game and also sucks anyway because you have a very limited amount of warp points (-1 for the completely useless mother and child isles) and you'll have to sail to get anywhere anyway. Meanwhile BotW's traversal is so good people don't even want to use quick travel. Also if you're that shit at controlling horses, no wonder you like a completely passive and boring method of travel.
>WW gave you rupees, heart containers, and a house.
So does BotW. Except the house in WW isn't a fucking sidequest, you need to go through that entire asinine process and block sliding puzzle to get a Triforce Shard because any not-entirely copy-pasted content in WW is mandatory.
>BotW does the same thing but uses fanservice from every game.
BotW was not a retread of OoT. It did something entirely different. Like WW, it's a post-apocalyptic sequel in the far flung future, but unlike WW, it limited its callbacks to one line and had a story and character all its own. A completely different Zelda and Link and a world that wasn't directly tied to OoT. The number of Zelda endings retroactively ruined by BotW is zero. Infinitely better than WW.
>>
>>379240079
>durability is now good game design because it makes games harder
>a game being harder means it's better than a casual game just because it is "muh challenging game for adults"

oh sir, where do I start?
>>
>>379239527
>Sailing and teleporting really isn't much different that gliding and teleporting. But BotW likes to add horses that stop when they approach even a small rock.

botw also has sailing, and swimming, and climbing, and stasis, and rail systems, etc
>>
>>379240374
nigga stop throwing wooden clubs made by fucking goblins and expecting them not to break

The higher level weapons break far less often
>>
>>379240298
>"handcrafted challenege"
you mean like, slicing a regular dungeon from previous games in 10 parts and sorting them separately in the overworld?

It's like playing a demo. When it starts getting good, the game kicks you out.
>>
File: laugh-05.jpg (45KB, 644x408px) Image search: [Google]
laugh-05.jpg
45KB, 644x408px
>>379240374
you literally think "baby's first Zelda" is actually good.

Of course the more casual, the better it is to you.
>>
>>379239789
Deku Leaf is great but it's also really uselses in combat. I think the only thing you did with it is stun peahats, but then you immediately get the boomerang which does the same thing but better.

And like you said, BotW does it right by letting you blow enemies off cliffs with the Korok Leaf.

Grappling hook is just the worst thing ever though.
>>
>>379239661

Guess I missed that bit in BotW. Something that can easily happen.
>>
>>379240594
>Grappling hook is just the worst thing ever
steal items nigga
>>
>>379240569
If you want more go find another one nigger it's easy as fuck to see them from a tower
>>
>>379240536
wrong, they break as fast as most weapons in the game, there's no difference between a golden or royal claymore you find early in the game and the strongest claymore you grab inside the castle
>>
>>379240637
because it requires you to actually EXPLORE and find things holy shit you are a fucking moron
>>
Everything after MM was done by Aonuma. I'm still waiting Koizumi to direct/produce a proper Zelda game.
>>
>>379240474

WW has swimming too. Are we really going to consider those rafts to be sailing?
>>
>>379240572
sorry, I forgot we're on 4chan, I was taking the discussion outside the shitpost tier

nice pic btw
>>
>>379240704
That is literally not true you can look at the values in memory yourself
>>
>>379240703
>he thinks you get more variety after your 50th shrine
>>
>>379240731
>WW has swimming
>2 seconds and you drown

>Are we really going to consider those rafts to be sailing
You can take them out on the ocean and just ride the wind around, you can take them in rivers and go white water rafting, hell actually it's a lot more varied that WW's pick a direction and go make a sandwich approach
>>
>>379240895
>He thinks he gets more variety after the sixth die reef
>>
>>379240790
the difference between them isn't even 1-2 hits, you literally waste the same amount of combat time with each type of weapon, regardless of them being low or high tier in attack power
>>
>>379236118
Agreed other than the triforce hunt
>>
>>379240913
What an amazing decision to have the shittiest swimming ever in a game that's 70% water.

BotW's swimming also sucks but at least you can get better at it so there's an element of progression. Swimming up waterfalls is also pretty sweet.
>>
>>379240967
>implying there's 120 islands in WW shaped and themed like a die reef
>>
>>379240594

Deku Leaf's use in combat was largely sidelined by the boomerang but it also acted as ground zero for BotW's paraglider. And the grappling hook lets you steal items, which is why grinding for knight crests is a non-issue.
>>
>>379240704
You are flagrantly retarded. End game weapons and shields last for a long, long time.
>>
>>379241012
This isn't true unless you're a shitter
You can even find weapons that specifically have a durability bonus and last twice as long.
But of course that would require exploration which you fags seem incapable of doing.
>>
>>379241093
>it also acted as ground zero for BotW's paraglider
Uhhh
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Roc%27s_Cape
>>
>>379236118
>A shitty Zelda game is better than this other shitty Zelda game

Who gives a shit? Why do any of you still pay attention to this series after LTTP?
>>
>>379237030
they have to balance the games around kids. these are digital toys, right?
>>
>>379241105
shields do

weapons don't
>>
>actually defending the worst 3d zelda out of contrarianism
4chan was a mistake
>>
>>379240374

It's okay just buy the DLC and you have a permanent 30 dmg sword.
>>
>>379241349

That's Skyward Sword.
>>
>>379238310
trying to do a 100% run of WW with minimal guide now. it's basically an item rush to make sure I don't cover islands multiple times. I recall a lot of "oh you can't do that now, but you can come BACK" bullshit on my first blind playthrough
>>
>>379241137
durability+ bonuses don't depend on exploration retard, they're tied to your progression in the game, aka your total amount of orbs collected/applied to a stat

it's almost impossible to find a durability+ piece of equipment before a good chunk of hours and shrines completed

and once they're available, you already has a wide range of options on how to easily replace weapon sets (Lynels, Castle, advanced enemy camps)
>>
File: C24jXVUXcAEP0LH.jpg (69KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
C24jXVUXcAEP0LH.jpg
69KB, 598x792px
>>379241349
nice argument you got there. be a shame if it wasn't.
>>
>>379241478
Skyward Sword is easily better than WW
>>
>>379241434
It's 60 damage.
>>
>>379241231

That's a double jump, not a full-on gliding mechanic. I mean, you could say that but it's a stretch. WW actually ran with the gliding concept.
>>
File: 240px-Ice_Ring_Island.jpg (19KB, 240x193px) Image search: [Google]
240px-Ice_Ring_Island.jpg
19KB, 240x193px
>>379241090
No there's just 6 die islands and two shrines I guess

Oh don't forget the island that's literally a cube textured like a GameCube
>>
>>379241434
>the game relies on DLC to fix primary game design problems and (why not) lack of content

gotta love that
>>
>>379241657
You do glide with it, literally riding the wind
Go play the fucking games
>>
>>379240637
Of course WW fags are incapable of exploration
>>
>>379241093
I don't really think there's much value in an item that only steals monster drops when every monster drop in the game has one designated use and then they're vendor trash. I'm more referring to how terrible it is in the original game though, where every use incurs a five second cutscene.

Knight's Crest too kind of annoy me on principle. You can't really grind for them since Iron Knuckles never respawn and IIRC they're kind of pointless to faithfully collect since you can't get enough to get the (useless) Hurricane Slash before going to Hyrule for the first time, where every single one you need is just in one room.

Man I really hate this game. While I'm being petty as fuck, how the hell did anyone okay the boat's sailing animation clipping with the ocean? It does one thing and they couldn't even get that right?
>>
Agreed other than the triforce hunt
>>
>>379241552
You find them in chests broski
>>
>>379241728
>game design problems
>lack of content
Yeah, WW was really shit
>>
>>379241627

holy shit it's not even close. I enjoyed skyward sword but just no
>>
>>379241660
still better than 120 generic micro dungeons that could barely make 2 full, decent dungeons if merged together ;)
>>
>>379241734

Fair enough, it's been years since I've played a game with Roc's Cape in it. I mostly remember it as a double jump.
>>
>>379236118
What shit taste. Also you are incorrect on some points too, especially the runes part and the unique secrets part

WW babies are the worst
>>
>>379236852
I liked most aspects of wind waker just the puzzles were so fucking mind numbingly obtuse it makes the game very difficult to play.
>>
>>379241838
No, no matter how much you shitpost won't make it true.
>>
>If somebody falseflags saying that "old" nintendo game is better than "new" nintendo game you actually get the shit eater drones to bash the older game only to defend the new shit.

Both WW and BotW are shit, you are all retards.
>>
>>379241536
That pissed me off so much as a kid.

The absolute pinnacle of that stupidity was Shark Island, where there's four switches that require the last four items in the game, and none of the switches do anything individually. So you get fuck all until you go back there after clearing the last dungeon, and your reward is 200 rupees that probably are wasted on your already full wallet.

Also 100%ing the game involves revisitng every island because of the time-wasting bullshit of reward-delaying treasure charts, and playing on NG++ if you don't want to wear gay pajamas the whole time because you need to start off with the deluxe pictobox.
>>
>>379241838
How is it better? I'll wait you dumb fag.
>>
>>379241838
>When you stop arguing and just try to epin troll ;3
>>
>>379241807
if you think about it, BotW is even worse in the "unfinished and barren" aspect

not saying WW is perfect, it's just a better game even with very similar problems in the package
>>
>>379236118
I think BotW suffers from a lot of the same problems that WW does, namely that it prioritizes quantity over quantity, has weak core content, and focuses on exploration while not providing a good incentive to do so.

Definitely agreed about the art style though. It's weird that SS and BotW both went with a more "stylistic" approach yet were far inferior to WW's style. It's like they were trying to compromise with realism and ended up in a weak middle ground. They should go all-in in either direction instead of being so indecisive.
>>
>>379242000
If I think about it, you are objectively wrong and clouded by server nostalgia
>>
>>379241745

I dunno, a lot of Zeldas have cracks in their armor when seriously critiqued but man, WW just falls apart when you look at it funny.
>>
>>379242032
quantity over quality*
>>
>>379242000
>if you think about it
you clearly aren't thinking if you consider any overworld compares to that shitty WW slog of an overworld
>>
>>379242063
>server
Severe*

Point still stands
>>
>there are delusional faggots that actually believe SS is anything beyond irredeemable garbage
shit > BotW > SS
>>
>>379242128
OoT and SS have objectively worse over worlds.
>Sidestepping simulator
>Empty sky simulator
>>
>>379236118
WW is my second favorite after BotW. There's just so much to do in breath
>>
>>379242195
OoT has a great overworld, SS is literally a menu.
>>
>>379242268
>There's just so much to do in breath

Stop lying.
>>
>>379242000
There is more gameplay in the plateau of BotW than there is in the entirety of WW.

>>379242032
Go replay WW and try not to kill yourself after how flawlessly and effortlessly BotW executes concepts that WW completely botched.

Also WW only had good character art and effects. That's it. The environments look like blocky garbage because they weren't cel-shaded and have shitty simplistic low-res textures. BotW styles all over it by combining art with the detail needed to make it shine.
>>
>>379242186
>BotW is shit meme
My favourite teebeeh
>>
>>379242351
you stop lying retard.
>>
>>379242351
No you stop lying. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not there
>>
>>379242363
>BotW styles all over it by combining art with the detail needed to make it shine

There's no point in lying to someone who has actually played the game and stared at ugly rock textures for hours and hours. WW is obviously not the height of graphical fidelity but it's way more stylistically consistent. It also helps that WW's island system allows it to handle loading/pop-in much more gracefully than BotW's pure open-world.
>>
>>379242107
I'm really bitter about Wind Waker because I've never liked it. I hated it when I was a kid playing it when it was new, and for the longest time, I was convinced that I was stupid back then and the game was actually good. Then I replayed it when WWHD came out and it was so much worse than I remembered.
>>
>>379242186

Both games are extreme takes on the Zelda formula. SS is all dungeon, BotW is all overworld. Having them as the worst Zeldas is understandable but personally I'd take even those over the sheer mediocrity that is WW. At least those games hard commit to a direction at the expense of everything else. WW is just not very good at anything it tries to do, and seeing as it's more exploration based it's more successful ideas are generally done better by BotW anyways while its dungeon design (or lack thereof) is an outright embarrassment compared to SS, let alone the actually strong Zeldas.
>>
>>379237030
I agree, generally speaking, but wasn't a fan of the technology in BotW. The only thing that WW has over BotW is music and possibly story.
>>
>>379242564

I played it once when it was new and all I could recall for years was that the dungeons weren't worth remembering. After catching WWHD when it hit Nintendo Selects, WW was pretty much everything I remembered it being, which is to say not really worth remembering. There's a few good ideas but the meat of the game is just fucked.
>>
Guys imagine wind waker becoming the standard Zelda lmao
>>
>>379242806
We don't have to imagine it, every Zelda barring TP and ALBW has been heavily inspired by it in some way.
>>
>>379242806
It pretty much was

Both TP and SS had stupid fuck empty meme overworlds

BotW is the only one that's fleshed it out at the expense of all content being just the overworld and minimal depth
>>
>>379242534
WW is not stylistically consistent because of how bad the environment art and textures are. It does not hold up when you see characters with large blocks of solid color and clean lines and then blocky shitty environments with blurred textures. It looks more like WoW than a cartoon.

Also the island system was garbage and I distinctly remember being able to see the big blue triangles of the LOD models popping in, even when the screen has no other detail to render because the majority of it is a flat shade of blue.

Meanwhile BotW has a massive, non-faked draw distance, and most impressively of all, no visible texture tiling ever. I've been wowed by BotW's scale and lighting and I've never been able to say the same about WW because its ancient pop-in reduction technique involves not being able to see landmasses that should be clearly visible.
>>
>>379242903
>Both TP and SS had stupid fuck empty meme overworlds
Which was introduced in OoT.
3D Zelda in general was a mistake, the overworld and dungeons tanked in quality from LttP to OoT.
>>
>>379243001
OOT's overworld was so small it hardly mattered, and once you got a horse or teleportatioj tunes it was over basically

I'd go so far as to say Hyrule Field can hardly even be called an overworld
>>
>>379242963
BotW genuinely does a better job at far away detail than the Witcher 3 even on beastly desktops. People really underestimate how important direction is to making things look good.
>>
>>379243001

In OoT's defense it came at a time where 3D game design was so young that its accomplishments as a simplified ALttP but in 3D are considered landmark. After that, 3D just got complacent with the formula. Things were still young with MM, WW would've been fine too if it was actually a good Zelda, TP nailed the fundamentals but the formula was showing its age, and the attempts to break convention since have been intriguing experiments but underwhelming takes on the Zelda formula. I still like 3D Zelda but until BotW it was definitely riding on the coattails of the legacy of the N64 games, and even then BotW feels like a skeletal blueprint for the next potential big step for the series at best.
>>
I want to keep bitching about how much Wind Waker sucks but I'm out of time and I don't think I'm changing anyone's mind by ranting.

But to anyone who genuinely thinks "WW is better than BotW," I urge you to go back and relive your childhood memories critically. Replay Wind Waker, not WWHD where they tried to patch things up a little here and there, but the Gamecube original. Maybe emulate so it looks the way it does in your memories.

See if it holds up.
>>
>>379242963
>WW is not stylistically consistent because of how bad the environment art and textures are

I don't agree, WW's visuals didn't sharply contrast like BotW's do, the simplicity of the textures worked because everything was simplistic. I wasn't constantly taken out of the experience. Whereas BotW has some nice grass and particle effects but terrible ground/cliff/rock textures and horrendous pop-in.

>its ancient pop-in reduction technique involves not being able to see landmasses that should be clearly visible

Really? You're going to say that about WW when BotW had objects popping in yards away constantly? There's a very clear difference in frequency here.

Obviously BotW has higher graphical fidelity by virtue of being on (slightly) more powerful hardware, it's the lack of consistency I have an issue with. I don't even know what BotW's style is supposed to BE exactly. I suppose it has Miyazaki vibes? In any case it lacks a clear vision.
>>
File: c567c42891a2428b8aab0d1d70152322.jpg (556KB, 1200x1553px) Image search: [Google]
c567c42891a2428b8aab0d1d70152322.jpg
556KB, 1200x1553px
>>379243575
>I want to keep bitching about how much Wind Waker sucks but I'm out of time and I don't think I'm changing anyone's mind by ranting.

/v/ - videogames
>>
>>379243575
I don't even like Wind Waker, in fact in many ways I hated it, but it did clearly do some things better, and while BotW certainly did other things better, it also followed in WW's footsteps far too much.
>>
File: swords.jpg (80KB, 1182x784px) Image search: [Google]
swords.jpg
80KB, 1182x784px
>TFW you're the only one on /v/ who likes both
>>
>>379243805
>it lacks a clear vision
backgrounds are regular models with semi photorrealistic textures but the animated models are cel-shaded for notoriety, the dynamic lighting does the rest, it is a really defined art direction.
>>
>>379243916
IM NOOTROLL
>>
No all of you are wrong
Best Zelda if them all is not the wind waker
It is actually the Twilight princess on Nintendo GC

Magnificent art style and sounds
Great Story perfect fit in time line
Perfect controller not a shitty one on Wii that you accidentally hold your sword up like Olympic touch most of time and need Chang AA battery every 2 hours @ the time you fight with mini boss or what ever but its always important time.
>>
>>379243914

>it also followed in WW's footsteps far too much

Damn straight it did, much to my dismay.
>>
>>379242000
Agreed.
>>
wind waker is so fucking boring
>>
File: BTFO.png (30KB, 892x460px) Image search: [Google]
BTFO.png
30KB, 892x460px
>>379236118
Piss off you vocal minority.
>>
>>379236118
>better art style

Aonuma please go, you're the only one who likes that deformed cat eyed midget.
>>
>>379236118
>the final boss battle(s) are engaging and pose some challenge
Ay yo come on now.
>>
>>379244752
>More people have Adventure of Link as their favorite than Skyward Sword
Kek
>>
>>379244982

More people probably bought Adventure of Link than Skyward Sword.
>>
>>379245048
The first batch of Skyward Sword came with a free controller.
>>
>>379243916
I think most people on /v/ and Zelda fans in general enjoy every game, but then they beat it and it doesn't live up to their nostalgia of having their mind blown by how satisfied they were by the games as kids. Even Skyward Sword had constant threads of people enjoying it, but then they finished and they didn't have the afterglow of feeling like they just played an extraordinary game like whatever Zelda game they grew up with.
>>
>>379245815
*almost every game
>>
>>379245815
Skyward Sword was never good.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.