[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Smash is clearly not a traditional fighting game >Some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: smash-64.png (197KB, 348x143px) Image search: [Google]
smash-64.png
197KB, 348x143px
>Smash is clearly not a traditional fighting game
>Some dub it its own genre, the Platform Fighter, much like how Mario Kart is a Kart Racer instead of a trditional racing game
>Mario Kart inspires many such games, many of which manage to become successful such as Diddy Kong Racing
>As a result, the Kart Racing genre is fully established
>However, most Smash imitators are usually just shitty licensed games, none of which reach even close to the same level of success, barring arguably Playstation All-stars
>As a result, the Platform Fighter has yet to establish itself as a genre
>Because of this, autists still have pointless arguments about whether Smash is a fighting or party game, when it's neither.
>>
>>379234480
>Let's give a non-derivative game it's own genre for no reason.
Literally as retarded as that one shitposter in metroidvania threads who thinks La-mulana isn't a metroidvania.
>>
>>379234480
Platform Fighter is a sub-genre of Fighters, just like how Kart Racer is a sub-genre of Racers, or FPS a sub-genre of Shooters.
>>
File: 0 Points into INT.png (670KB, 450x894px) Image search: [Google]
0 Points into INT.png
670KB, 450x894px
>>379234480
>You will never be this asspained and retarded
>>
>>379234879
Acting like the Sm4sh fanbase is the same as the melee fanbase is like saying the cross tekken fanbase is the same as the tekken 7 fanbase
>>
>>379235015
This.

The Sm4sh fanbase are kids, the Melee fanbase is cancer.
>>
>>379235015
>>379235074
Who cares? Both are just 2 different parts of a fanbase that's atrocious as a whole. Thank god it's contained to one console, the only worse thing I've seen is LoL and Awesomenauts as candidates for being worse.
>>
>>379234480
Considered a arena fighter. Like Tekken is 3d while Street Fighter is 2d.5.

Different sub-genres.
>>
Which is worse, a good fanbase for an awful game or a bad fanbase for a great game?

Sm4sh for the former and melee for the latter obviously
>>
>>379234480

People can call it whatever they want, but calling it a party game only is retarded. No one plays Mario Party competitively because it lacks the depth Smash has. The game can be played as a party game as well as competitively.
>>
>>379235220
>Atrocious
The Melee scene is embarrassing Adults
The Sm4sh scene is embarrassing Kids

Melee is far worse
>>
>>379235379
The fanbase whos gods need to have a mechanical advantage over everyone else via broken controllers or else they will not play.
>>
>>379235451
Google "smash 4 tourney"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcHaAI-FHqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwGAk_hbFc
Guess what I googled to find this one?
Why are these videos the first result? Kill yourself, delusional faggot. Same audience of lanky spergs, just on different parts of the spectrum.
>>
>>379234480
>platform fighter
What a stupid fucking name, I always preferred battle royale
Really it's not a sub-genre of fighting games as they're more akin to brawlers of which fighting games where really spun off of
Kart racers and sim racers more or less developed over time defining themselves from the arcade games and really started to define the racing as a genre as a whole since it really didn't have any designated guidelines for a long time
>>
>>379235723
>kids are embarrassing
Yes? I said that.

The Melee crowd is older and should know better.
>>
>>379234480
I always wonder how almost no one has been able to catch what makes Smash so fucking good.
>>
>>379235940
Simple comands.
>>
>>379235940
Low skill entry, flashy moves, fan fav characters
>>
>>379235940
I think it's the lack of character variety. Because the Smash cast is pulled from different series, characters have completely different movesets and attributes even if they use the same control scheme. Even in Smash 64, some characters like Kirby or Jigglypuff already broke the mold that was just made. Fast forward to Smash 4 and each character has so many different unique mechanics (Pikmin, Robin's weapons, the KO punch, Limit Break, etc.).
Any attempt at an original one never has quite as distinct characters, and the game gets really boring really fast.
>>
>>379236004
Haven't most of them had these?

>>379236068
Most, if not all Smash clones, have low skill floors, don't they? Flashy moves is another good reason though, as is fan favorite characters.

One of these days, I'm going to buy every Smash clone and compare them. Maybe I'll do a big video on it if I ever become a notable internet personality. It's been something that I've been wanting to do lately.
>>
>>379234480
>Digimon Rumble Arena 1 and 2
>Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble
>Sonic Battle
>Power Stone
>some Shrek Game
>Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion
>Playstation All Stars

Its a genre.
>>
>>379235074
>>379235220
The 64 fanbase is patrician
>>
>>379236863
>Most, if not all Smash clones, have low skill floors, don't they?
I'm sorry I meant to have a + instead of a ,.

It's the perfection combination of all three that makes Smash popular.
>>
>>379237073
There is a reason
>Unlike its successors, Super Smash Bros. never enjoyed a large professional competitive scene
>>
>>379234480
There are quite a few clones of the core gameplay style out there. Brawlhalla and Rivals of the Aether for example.
Both are pretty fun and I like Brawlhalla's controls a lot more than Smash Bros itself.
>>
>>379237073
64 Is the most fun in my opinion. And the matches aren't a drag. Kills are so much easier to do to. Why is it the best aside from broken characters?
>>
>>379234480
Because the only company teking seriously the sub genere is nintendo,PSABR falied precisly because sony threat it as a low budget project.

The only good ones is Rivals of Aether but has the limitations of been an indie game,haing a higher skill floor than even melee(but as high skill celling), and been and early access game and PM which basically a fusion between Brawl and Melee.

Whe have to see what the PM guys are going to do with WaveDash to see what could maybe the only worthy competitor.
>>
>>379237091
Oh. In which case, I agree.

I mean you have Brawlhalla and Rivals of Aether which are both popular and well-received, but neither really have the pull of being able to play as a bunch of recognizable video game icons the way Smash does. Their casts are quite generic and forgettable by comparison, in fact.
>>
>>379237490
>WaveDash
F
>>
>>379235940
I feel PS All Stars with a few gameplay changes and characters people actually give a shit about would have been huge. Donte and Raiden over Crash and Cloud? C'mon now.
>>
>>379237312
t. someone who's never dabbled into competitive 64

Top level 64 is more campy then Brawl. Still better to watch because one neutral win usually leads to a long combo. But it's not worth it when the few neutral interactions take so long to happen that matches go to timeouts quite often. A game with so much 0-deaths timing out so often just proves how much of a snore fest it's neutral is.
>>
>>379236863
Only smash has them and it's clones.

Plus mvc3 simple mode kinda.
>>
>>379237535
Jump series worked. Dream mix had the arenas but no weapons or pits.

Sonny would need bigger names but all stars sold but not enough to warrant a sequal. I don't like the camera and the ap thing was hated.
>>
File: hothead.png (1KB, 107x160px) Image search: [Google]
hothead.png
1KB, 107x160px
>>379237854
I really just meant with a buddy or two, against cpus or maybe even with items. Hot damn i didn't think competitive would be so meh
>>
>>379237573
The game is DoA? is just an scam? is going to be shit?
>>
>all of these people complaining
/v/ has and always will be streammonsters for every game.

>>379237830
Nope. The gameplay to its core was trash.

>>379235940
Companies rarely try, but when they do, they make the mistake of thinking the quality comes from the fanservice instead of the gameplay. What games that have attempted to emulate them has gotten even close? Rivals of Aether is about it, and it actually isn't terrible at all, it just has a tiny playerbase and is a bit more visually muddy.
>>
>>379238070
The gameplay of those was not really like Smash any more than Smash is like SF. >>379237535
are closer, but neither really achieved the flow that allowed for Smash to grow. It's not like tournaments for Smash started huge.
>>
>>379237830
I didn't play PSABR much but it just felt really boring to me. A couple things that no one seems to consider with Smash is the physics and how everyone feels different. It's one thing that I noticed when I first played Smash 4 after not having played any Smash game in a long while. But you might play as Mario and he'll feel like, well, Mario, but then you might try Ganondorf, and he feels like a tank. Very heavy weight to him, slow, but powerful, etc. And then you might try Zero Suit Samus, and you're darting around all over the place agile as fuck.

PSABR didn't capture that feeling from what time I spent with it.

>>379238070
I still kick myself for not having played the Jump series. Any chances of a re-release? I guess I could just emulate it right?
>>
>>379237490
>delusional sonybro neglects that Playstation All-Stars was a thing
kek
enjoy having no iconic first-party characters derivative from a lack of quality first-party devs
>>
I just hacked my Wii and holy shit Project M is the best game of all time
>>
>>379238682
The jump games are entirely fanservice and play way more like PSABR (very similarly, in fact) than Smash. The physics are also why Melee feels so fucking good compared to the later entries (which do not have momentum carried over when you jump, which is dogshit).
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.