[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worth playing? I remember /v/ shilling the fuck out of this a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4007.jpg (54KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4007.jpg
54KB, 460x215px
Worth playing? I remember /v/ shilling the fuck out of this a few months back then everyone suddenly stopped talking about it.
>>
Nothing is truly worth playing - games aren't art.
>>
>>379168474
Why bother making this post
>>
>>379168542
Why bother making this thread when you can just google your question?
>>
it's okay

the level design is disappointing though, there aren't many of them and they reuse each level a lot
>>
I liked it a lot, it improved on the first one quite a bit.
>>
Literally just started playing now after the first game.

I'm only an hour or so in but compared to the first game it's much more borderlands-ish with a hub town, quests, some fucking girl that talks in your head and the obvious 4 player coop which makes me wonder if I'm supposed to be playing with other people and playing singleplayer is the inferior way.

It's not bad, they fixed some of the issues I had with the first game like adding an actual minimap and fixing the way you do katana moves but I'm not sure if I like it more than the first one so far. Maybe it gets better when you get used to the way the game feels, who knows.

Also where the fuck is my OP katana? Is there some retarded plot reason as to why I can't have it? And why are the demons attacking Wang when he helped save their world?
>>
File: 1494566319958.gif (854KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1494566319958.gif
854KB, 380x380px
>>379168375
it turned out only to be okay-ish due to being hampered by cramming too much rpg elements into it a.k.a the Borderlands disease
>>
>>379168697
you get even more OP katana later down the line. Several of them in fact, including one capable of LOL LASOR SLASH ad infinitum near the very end
>>
>>379168697
It's definitely shitloads more fun playing it in coop, as is the usual case for almost all games. The game's alright but it definitely has a different focus this time around but it's still fast enough and finally has a good balance between melee and firearms.

If you or the OP want to coop it up, add me.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mad_cat2111
>>
>>379168697
>>379168779
So it has loot?
>>
>>379168964
I'd like to but I pirated it because I'm a poor slav

I'm also an autistic introverted friendship ruining sperg, better you stay away from me
>>
>>379169036
It does and it's implemented really poorly. The weapons you can find and modifications for them are really uninspired and boring, they just add a lot of loot treadmilling without any fun payoff
>>
>>379169036
yes but most of the loot comes in the form of gems which let you alter your weapon and character stats
you can still find weapons but there aren't a bajillion weapons like in borderlands
>>
It's... complicated. A lot more complicated than you'd expect from what essentially is a arena shooter.

It's absolutely amazing in many regards, completely awful in some other ones, and bafflingly narrow with it's target audience. I'd personally argue it's one of the best shooters since Painkiller, definitely a lot more fun than things like the new Doom. But then again, I'm a very special child who actually does not mind spend 20 minutes fucking around with spreadsheets inbetween each battle in this game: definitely not something most shooter players want to do.

I could go into fairly indepth analysis of everything this game does really well, everything it does really poorly, and everything that it does just... weirdly as hell. It's not a simple case though.

>>379168697
>makes me wonder if I'm supposed to be playing with other people and playing singleplayer is the inferior way.
It does not. The emphasis on coop is massively overstated, but really it's fairly irrelevant to the game. there are no classes or class synergies, no particular mechancis for coop: it's not a coop-focused game, even if it stupidly sells itself as one.

>>379169036
TONS of it.
Though comparing it to Borderlands is also very, VERY misleading. The way that the loot and character progression works is completely different. But... it is there, there is no way around it.

>>379169170
And this is blatantly false.
IF you can be bothered wasting time onto the progression and upgrading systems, they are actually really well implement and fun, and add tons of value to the game. But the problem is that A) it takes time and slows down the game and B) the game does TERRIBLE job of explaining itself. That is actually it's biggest issue. Like 90% of people who played the game finished it without understanding some of the most basic mechanics in the game. And to be honest, it is the game's fault for just not explaining itself properly.
>>
File: sw review.png (528KB, 611x685px) Image search: [Google]
sw review.png
528KB, 611x685px
>>379168375
you'll either like it or really hate it
It's kind of hit and miss with a lot of problems mainly with the balance, hit detection and some other minor things that don't make much sense but when it's good it's really great.
it's an interesting game and very misunderstood (no it isn't borderlands)
>>379168697
you can get the sword from the 2013 game if that's what you mean
>>379169036
kind of but the game doesn't revolve around the loot in the same way borderlands does it's not a "loot treadmill"
>>
>>379169124
Piece of fucking shit cunt.
Just kidding, I would buy the game for you if there was a sale going on. Bad timing, I guess.
>>379169170
This is very true. It has loot and is implemented pretty poorly. They're mostly just elemental shit that adds poison, fire, ice or lightning damage to this or that gun, or improves it's fire rate, movement speed and other shit. Just percentage shit and there's nothing that really changes up your gameplay besides being melee-focused, ranged-focused or a mix of both. I still love playing the game because it's fun but it's nowhere near being a great game. It's good at the most.
>>
Pirated it when it came out. Not sure if I'm going to buy it for co-op down the road since it apparently got fucked by a few patches.
>>
>>379169036
Yes and as others have said it's mostly just weapon upgrades that are things like "+3.6% to dick tickling against small enemies"
>>
>>379168375
Stop using the word shill wrong thank you
>>
>start the first one
>ammo is scarce as fuck
>forced to play it as first person HnS instead
I'm not sure if I like this.
>>
>>379169801
The guns in the first one are all pretty crap so you might as well get used to your sword.
>>
>>379168375
looter shooter. no thanks.
play the original SW and reboot instead
>>
>>379169918
>>379169801
Yeah the sword and maybe the fully upgraded revolver + crossbow are actually the only decent guns.

The sword is more fun anyway if you get all the powers, and even better on NG+
>>
>>379168375
Just tried it earlier this week and didn't like it at all. Rarely does a game put me off so much that I uninstall it after an hour, but this did. And I fucking loved the 2013 one, played through it at least 3 times, 100% it and everything.

They simply took the game in a direction that I don't like at all. They put completely unnecessary elements into it that simply slow down and overcomplicate the gameplay, without adding much.

In addition to that the screen is too busy and enemies have too much health.
>>
>>379168375
it's pretty good but it gets kinda repetitive towards mid to late game.
>>
>>379170059
Sounds like you didn't like it because it moved away from the first game's formula. As someone who didn't play the first game, will I like it as a standalone title?
>>
>>379169703
>Yes and as others have said it's mostly just weapon upgrades that are things like "+3.6% to dick tickling against small enemies"
>>379169402
>This is very true. It has loot and is implemented pretty poorly

While I entirely understand why people think this, this is NOT true. Like: it's the one thing you people should know about the game.

The reason why people think this is because they approach it like most shooters,which are generally based around the idea of one or two preferential weapons that you use most of the time, and occasionally switch to handfull of specialized weapons.
Shadow Warrior 2 is not like that. Weapons should not be "preferential". The upgrades, while looking unimpressive at first, actually stack up and form synergies that promote SPECIALIZED use each individual weapon. The weapons don't become just flat out "super awesome", but rather "really damn good at one particular task" and the entire gunplay is designed around the notion of constant, mid-fight weapon switching. If you want to play the game right, you virtually never stick to one gun for more than few seconds in the combat.

And that is what the fucking upgrade system is about. And where it suddenly starts influencing the actual combat in a major way. In fact I've never seen an action game where your stat-based alteration would make such a HUGE impact on how you then play the action part of it.

But again: this is unfamilair design and the game does not explain that at all.

>>379170213
I found the first game to be atrocious, and the second game to be possibly my favorite shooter of the decade. But this >>379170059 guy is not actually wrong at all. SW2 is cluttered as fuck both visually and mechanically. Also, SW1 had a surprisingly good story, this has like AWFUL narrative element. I can understand why people who enjoyed the first game did not like the second.

Then again, SW2 is better in one regard that matters to me: it has actually fun combat. The first did not.
>>
>>379170449
>But again: this is unfamilair design and the game does not explain that at all.
The game never demands you to do it either. I tried playing the game as you said, having different weapons in each of the (8? or 10?) slots with each of them bringing a particular element or specced to make me go faster, shoot more, regen health, etc. but the gameplay doesn't change things up enough to demand you to do this. Even playing on harder difficulties just makes the enemies more bloated with health and you end up with grindy combat even though you're using weapons that hit their vulnerabilities. The upgrade system could have been something good but the rest of the game just doesn't make use of it as much as they should have and that's a damned shame. Still a fun game overall but I just feel that the entire loot system was a massive waste of potential in the end. I haven't played it in quite a long time though so maybe there have been balance patches that fixed this. I really should head back in sometime and complete that Way of the Wang shit.
>>
>>379170449
ammo gets super scarce on higher difficulties though, I ended up replacing all my weapons with melee weapons because I run into so many immune to everything but X enemies and I don't have enough ammo to deal with 3-4 of those types of enemies at the same time

that's the main area they fucked up in, feels like the game goes from being hard to being tedious at some point
>>
>>379168375

Nope, it's a first person Diablo 3 and boring as shit.
>>
>>379170928
Forgot to add the meat of my argument: I always end up using a small amount of preferred weapons in the end with either fire, electricity or poison since these are the most effective for almost all enemies. Slot in improved health regen for one of them, chi regen for another and make one of them the heaviest hitter and you'll breeze through every encounter. You can even skip the chi regen since killing enemies shower you with them and you get those refill statues anyway.
>>
>>379170059
It depends what kind of shooters you like. My favorite game of all time is Half-Life 2 and that describes my taste for games pretty well. I like linear games, where every encounter has been accurately crafted, without any superfluous gimmicks or mechanics. Level design is extremely important to me.

Shadow Warrior 2 felt more like an MMO, where the quests and areas feel like an excuse to have enemies around, and the enemies in turn are an excuse to have the loot and invenotry system. I know other people like the game for some reasons, but to me the bad things outweigh the good. People like >>379170449 can better outline what's good about the game, but I know I would have liked the game more if it only had the sword and mob-enemies died from 1-2 hits.
>>
>>379171469
Oops, didn't mean to quote myself, meant to quote >>379170213
>>
>>379170928
>The game never demands you to do it either.
It kinda does, especially on hard or hardest difficulty. Notice how people complain about enemies being bulletsponges? Well, that is precisely and EXCLUSIVELY because they never understood the loadout system And I don't think you did either. It's true that the game can be finished without understanding how these things work (crits are particularly important: the difference between using your crit bonus right and wrong is DAY AND NIGHT in the actual game), but it becomes tedious and lacking in flow. When you use your upgrades right, there is NO such thing as a bullet spongy enemy unless you intentinally boost up the health by playing with multiplayer modifiers one some of those NG+ difficulty settings.

There is NO grind in the game, NO bloated enemy health pools if you play the game right. In fact, the other side is true, I had problems because I melted through my enemies TOO fast before the patches hit on hardest difficulty. And that is not bragging: I'm not particularly good at these kinds of games. I just happened to understand some shit more-or-less by accident.

The upgrades are amazing at what they are. They reward you immensely for using them right. That sense of insane power you'll get with some combos of weapons plus upgrades plus a few skills is... like I have never felt so powerful and rewarded in a shooter before. That said, it took me 20+ minutes to put the arsenal together. Which... I don't think most people want to do in a shooter.

>>379171012
It does not. Again: this is because you are relying too much on the same weapon or same-ammo-type weapon. The ammo "Scarcity" is another mechanic that is supposed to force player to make more diverse and specialized arsenal AND to focus on upgrades to increase efficiency and save up ammo. But again: the game makes that unclear, causing confusion. Most people hardly realize that ammo types are not tied to weapon types, for an example.
>>
>>379170928
That's a shame, I was hoping higher difficulties would actually add some difficulty and not just Destiny-tier health bar bloat
>>
>>379171743
I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. My main complaint is just that the combat in the game never feels harder or demands more skillful play on higher difficulties at all, I just need to put in more time fighting each enemy and that's it. It's still fun due to having melee weapons and the special attacks available to them do mix things up but despite spending a lot of time speccing my shit, the outcome never differs. I'm still pulling the same moves and have to put in more-or-less the same amount of time into the fights. Maybe I just needed better upgrades, who the fuck knows.
>>
>>379171204
That kinda proves my point. You went with a couple of most versatile weapons with simple flat damage upgrades (that do very little) and then were suprised that it plays the same and that things got tedious towards the end. I mean sure: I started off doing the same: that is what most shooters teach us to do, most action RPG's too.

But it's an extremely inefficient approach. And BOTH new shadow warrior games ultimately boil down to efficiency and style, rather than direct fail state emphasis.
You do have a point in that the game does not FORCE you to use these upgrades efficiently. And that is actually part of my issue with the game making things unclear. The first game did the same, by the way, with virtually all of it's challenge coming from getting score and dealing with enemies in a non-tedious way, rather than just making it difficult to progress. It's a natural evolution really. But again, not something everyone (or even most people) will like.
>>
>>379169294
Thanks for the not-shitpost. At first blush I'd thought these games were not up my alley, but the more I learn the more I think it might scratch an itch. I've been able to tolerate the humor in Borderlands to a degree, and I have a hard time imagining any other game could be less funny or have worse gunplay. Still, I'll wait til SW goes on sale again.

On the one hand, I fucking HATE hub towns. On the other, I rather like Monster Hunter, so there you go, I'm a mess.

On a somewhat related note, have you played Strafe yet? What do you think?
>>
>>379172216
>getting score
Speaking of, how the flying fuck was it rated in the first game? I got on an immobile turret, shot down 12 guys and go 4.5 stars and two minutes later I would end a fight in 10 seconds with the fast fire mode on the revolver and I'd get 2 stars
>>
>>379171770
>That's a shame, I was hoping higher difficulties would actually add some difficulty and not just Destiny-tier health bar bloat
Again the health bloat does not work the way you think. The health bloat is only illusionary: the game always equips you with tools to bypass it and disperse the enemies quickly. It's just that you need to learn the upgrades use properly on higher difficulty, while you can largely ignore it on lower. They also add some more dick-moves - enemies have more varied attacks and more elemental resistances or aura's, but that is about it.

>>379172245
The humor is... it's a hit and miss, rarely cringeworthy but rarely make you really laugh either. In fact that is only one joke in the entire game that stunned me and made me giggle like an idiot, and that is just because how immensely stupid that joke is.
Gunplay is... depends on how you play. I found it insanely satisfying for most weapons (with an exception of rapid-fire guns like submachines and assault rifles, which are - let's not mince words - FUCKING GOD-DAMN PIECES OF SHIT unless you know how to upgrade them). It is also arguably the fastest and most mobile single player shooter I've seen in ages, maybe ever.

Hubtown is... I mean it's largely needless. Basically just a glorified menu, really. Two shops, two houses where side-quest givers spawn with giant icons, a handful of secrets. That is literally it. Pointless, and since your character can basically fly you can traverse it in like 30 seconds max. It adds or detracts virtually nothing: except for the fact that you can transport there mid-battle to resuply, I guess.

>On a somewhat related note, have you played Strafe yet?
I have not. I was not even interested. I don't particularly care about anything even remotely associated with rogue-like and rogue-lite mechanics. As far as I'm concerned, permadeath and procedural generation can go suck a dick.
>>
>>379172216
The game would have been more compelling if it did have a score system for the levels, actually. I would at least have felt some interest in varying my approach a lot more like I did in the 2013 game since getting 5 shurikens for an encounter needed more than just killing things fast. In the end, I got through the game just fine on Insane with my lazy-ass specs. I did feel more compelled to play stylishly when I do coop with friends though since we just wanna show off instead of merely killing shit.
>>
>>379169382

That image has sold me
>>
>>379172697
I just finished SW 2013 and I'm wanting to pick up this game but I have a question. Did they fix that fucking strafe problem where you could die going downstairs/hill in this one? Cause that was one of the most annoying things about the 2013 game.
>>
>>379173007
Yeah, that's fixed. There's no fall damage in SW2 precisely because of that bullshit.
>>
>>379173007
yeah there is no falling damage. the roll for landing doesn't work all the time however
>>
>>379173112
Thank god because I had to turtle everything on heroic cause I did not want to start all over again especially on chapter 8 and 16. Thanks anon
>>
>>379172737
>The game would have been more compelling if it did have a score system for the levels, actually.
I entirely agree there. In fact it stuns me that they did not implement that. Perhaps it would give some fucking point to the mission repeats. I mean the game gives you the possibility to go back to missions you've already replayed like if they are dungeons or something, as if fucking grinding had ANY fucking point in this game. There is absolutely NO reason to go back to completed missions.
Having score attacks would actually make these kinda not completely fucking pointless.

I guess the main reason why avoided the score mechanic was because, lets be honest: the score counter in SW1 was AWFUL. This >>379172245 guy remembers.
It made NO sense what so ever. It was absurd. So I guess they were iffy about re-introducing it since they clearly don't know how to make the scoring interesting?

>>379173007
Yeah, they did. In the new SW you basically fly, you move average twice the speed of Doom marine, the environments are MASSIVE often consisting of open grounds and land, having a bug like this would literally make the game unplayable.
That said, just a fair warning. While there are some clear designer undercurrents tying the two games together: I'd argue that SW1 has more to do with SW Original than with SW2. Don't expect a direct sequel. It's... well see >>379170059 for impressions. I actually love SW2 but I can't find a single fault with what that person says. People who liked SW1 DON'T like the second for the most part. People who hated SW1 generally tend to be much more favorable to it.

Also, if you liked the story of SW1... you are not going to like what they did with the story in the second game.
>>
>>379173248
>So I guess they were iffy about re-introducing it since they clearly don't know how to make the scoring interesting?
That's a damned shame if it's true. Dropping features just because it did badly before is a bad way to go about making a sequel. That said, I think they can still work on implementing it through a content patch, if they're still working on this game at all. And yeah, it definitely would have made sense then to repeat missions. Like you said, there's absolutely no reason to go back and redo any mission at all since there's jack shit to discover unless you missed an optional miniboss. Very weird design decisions in this game.
>>
>>379173248
I played the classic and the 2013. So when i noticed the changes from classic to 2013 it didn't bother me that much. I also didn't mind that it was not a direct sequel either so I think I will be fine playing the latest game. I will enjoy it for what it is and see for myself. I'm just waiting for the summer sale before I go out and buy this game.
>>
>>379173248
Wait, what did they do to the story? Without too many spoilers preferably
>>
File: woahthere.png (35KB, 194x175px) Image search: [Google]
woahthere.png
35KB, 194x175px
>>379172697
>I don't particularly care about anything even remotely associated with rogue-like and rogue-lite mechanics. As far as I'm concerned, permadeath and procedural generation can go suck a dick.

Woah there pardner, did an algorithm kill your paw?

I brought it up because it's an arena-type shooter with procedural levels, collection and some character growth, which "some people" seem to be really touchy about. For my part, I think that shooters with static levels might be overrated in a way. Consider that once you know the layout and where enemies are, you are using rote memory perhaps more than you are using skill. I'm hoping that SW has an edge on that paradigm the same way Strafe does, as clunky as it is.

Procedural levels is one the things that /v/ has mostly cited about these games as a negative, but maybe if they consider the above, they would be less snooty about it. I like the idea.

>>379173248
You seem to have misquoted me, b/c I have played neither of the SW games, nor even the original. I'm not mad, just don't want you to look like a big idiot.
>>
>>379168375
I like it but nothing ground breaking.
>>
File: 1493351015403.jpg (46KB, 600x703px) Image search: [Google]
1493351015403.jpg
46KB, 600x703px
>>379168697
>borderlands-ish

How about you kill yourself, retard.
>>
>>379174038
No, cunt
>>
I like coop game. Does this game have lan?
>>
>>379173458
>Dropping features just because it did badly before is a bad way to go about making a sequel.
While that is true in this instance, everything else about SW2 is basically just "lets take that obscure mechanic from SW1 that everybody ignored or wished was removed and lets focus on that, actually.
Who liked the upgrade system from SW1 again? Who liked the option to buy ammo instead having to collect it? Who thought the character progression was good?

Yet SW2 is - in a sense, building core mechanics by expanding and reinventing those particular aspects of the first game. So really, you can't claim that they just "cut mechanics instead of fixing them". Really, what they did (with the exception of scoring) is taking the broken aspects of the first game and then just running with them.
They also kinda overcompensated for other shortcomings. The first game was somewhat slow, did not have enough weapons and enemy variety, the levels were small, extremely linear and claustrophobic.

So... SW2 has like 30 enemies, levels are just giant open playfields, and there is like fifty weapons. In fact: it's a massive, MASSIVE extreme case of "lets really improve on what did not work the last time". Ironically, what DID work in the first game, namely the melee and chii powers, is kinda weaker in the sequel.

But yeah. I'd like the score meter to be fixed and reimplemented into the game.

>>379173829
Lets just say that any actually clever, tragic or serious subtones the first game had... aren't there. It's just stupid. Also, it goes to shadow-run-like magic-postapocalyptic-cyberpunk. Also also: Ameonna. Well, she is an actual character in this new game and... considering how important she was to the first game, I did NOT like what they did with her character. The girl Toshi died for is now... really silly? Or worse.
>>
>>379171743
Ammo does get scarce once you reach insanity levels 3-4+

It doesn't matter if you use every ammo type you have, eventually you'll run out unless you melee a lot or find a lot of purple statues
Not to mention enemies get all their hp back when you die so if you blow a lot of ammo and fail to kill your enemy you're fucked, it's not that uncommon either since enemies can 2-3 shot you while being bullet sponges themselves.
>>
>>379174125
How about you suck my dick then you dumb cumslut.
>>
>>379174310
Maybe I will, what then faggot?
>>
>>379174194
Nope, no lan, I'm afraid. Unless they added it recently.
>>
>>379174407
Ah, that's disappointing
>>
>>379174350
Maybe I'll cum into your little sissy mouth so much that you almost choke on it, faggot.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.