[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people enjoy this boring as fuck who wants to be a millionaire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 18

File: deep combat.jpg (59KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
deep combat.jpg
59KB, 1280x720px
Why do people enjoy this boring as fuck who wants to be a millionaire format combat? How is it so hugely successful? The concept of Pokemon is really cool, but I hate the execution.
I was a big Pokemon fanatic when I was a kid (then again, who wasn't) but I was never interested in the games because of its shit gameplay. Turn-based combat sucks unless there's action commands or some real-time element that requires quick thinking. Use right attack against right opponent = pretty much defeat them in one hit is so boring. They need to reinvent Pokemon's battle system to fit my personal taste and others who know what a good game is, I don't care if it still sells well with its shit battle system.
>>
>>379125654
>Use right attack against right opponent = pretty much defeat them in one hit is so boring

The entire main game is a tutorial for the multiplayer
>>
Nice story bro.
>>
>>379125654
You ever play multiplayer? There's interesting shit and gimmicks you can have depending on the meta you play.
>>
I think the Mystery Dungeon games address that a bit
>>
>... to fit my personal taste and others who know what a good game is...

You're on /v/, your tastes are clearly terrible.
>>
>>379125654
Its made for children anon.
>>
>>379125740
This. Playing with spd and things like stat boosts and status ailments especially in the latest gen are fun
>>
File: Pokkén-Tournament.jpg (166KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pokkén-Tournament.jpg
166KB, 1280x720px
>>379125654
The game that "Muh action pokemon game" faggots requested is already out there, why the fuck are you complaining about not having the brains to play a strategy game now?
>>
>>379126001
Every videogame its made for children
>>
File: 1496184748756.jpg (27KB, 445x445px) Image search: [Google]
1496184748756.jpg
27KB, 445x445px
>>379125654
90% of the time a game changes how it plays it turns out being ultra dogshit
>>
Stop playing genres you don't like.

Bitching about turn based games in every single rpg thread and making threads saying the genre shouldn't exist are just as terrible as the ones who think every single action game needs to be a clone of Dark Souls' or Devil May Cry. There's a certain appeal to the mechanics, and if they don't suit your tastes that's okay, but let that audience have their game instead of homogenizing everything.

Pokemon just needs to introduce a hard mode for veterans that's not as poorly executed as the BW one. They clearly know there's a competitive audience since they pander to it constantly with the post-game content.
>>
>>379126246
Correct.
>>
File: 1469145753712.png (219KB, 664x520px) Image search: [Google]
1469145753712.png
219KB, 664x520px
>>379125654
>who wants to be a millionaire format combat
>>
>>379126373
>Pokemon
>Hard mode
Ayy lmao
>>
File: 1313896090618.jpg (25KB, 335x478px) Image search: [Google]
1313896090618.jpg
25KB, 335x478px
>>379125654
>>
>>379125654
>>379126487
>>379126647
Stop trying to force a shit opinion as a ebin meme
>>
File: 1495991970768.jpg (22KB, 350x389px) Image search: [Google]
1495991970768.jpg
22KB, 350x389px
>>379125654
>They need to reinvent Pokemon's battle system to fit my personal taste
>>
>>379125654
This reads mostly like a shitpost, but I agree that the time to kill is way too low and puts a massive focus on being fast enough to go first and one-shot your opponent before they one-shot you. Pokemon would benefit a lot if they reduced the base damage output and how much an attack boost stage gives.
>>
I prefer games with Family Feud format combat.
>>
File: 1407904867859.jpg (22KB, 278x285px) Image search: [Google]
1407904867859.jpg
22KB, 278x285px
>>379125654
>>
File: 1416160369956.jpg (15KB, 499x615px) Image search: [Google]
1416160369956.jpg
15KB, 499x615px
>>379125654
>>
>>379125654
But do you want to be a millionaire OP?
>>
>>379126541
You could probably design a decently engaging Pokemon game with stricter punishments and a need for smart team building, yes. The metagame is an unbalanced mess and has its own issues but there's a hell of a lot more meat to it than the rock paper scissors combat the main stories use.

The ease of Pokemon serves a purpose, it makes any Pokemon viable for kids and casual players who play it using their favorites or like a collectathon. Hell, its why I play it. But with 20-something mainline games you'd think they'd stop relegating the deeper mechanics to online play and battle facilities in favor of proper difficulty settings for the fans who've stuck with it for decades. It'd be better for everyone.
>>
File: 1371497907152.png (427KB, 675x851px) Image search: [Google]
1371497907152.png
427KB, 675x851px
I just want a fucking Pokemon game that actually has late-teen protagonists

All this under-age stuff confuses my dick, because who doesn't pop a stiffy over 90% of the female characters in the games
>>
>>379125654
>millenial encounters turn based system and is so confused he has an aneurysm
Oh god it's magical, continue OP I can't stop laughing
>>
>>379127205
>proper difficulty settings for the fans who've stuck with it for decades
Every faggot who has posted about wanting a harder mode in pokemon has never defeated stadium 1 & 2 entirely with rental pokemons neither have cleared the most recent battle maison/tree of the gen 6 and 7 games.
Fuck off, pokemon doesn't need a "harder mode", go play your autistic hack roms if you want fake challenge on the single player story mode.
>>
>>379127260
>Game for kids featuring kids
Stop the goddamn presses!
>>
>>379125654
Reading this post, it just sounds like this game isnt for you

Im sorry you're too adhd to ever enjoy a game of chess or the like
>>
File: 1494985500721.jpg (145KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494985500721.jpg
145KB, 1280x720px
>>379125654
>who wants to be a millionaire format combat?
First time I've ever heard it described that like
>>
>>379127137
>>379127187
>>379127946
PUT ME IN THE EPIN SCRENCAP xD!!!!
>>
>>379127592
But EVERY character that isnt

You

Your rival

Your friends

Is an adult
>>
>>379128002
t. butthurt retarded faggot op
>>
File: 1466047723400.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1466047723400.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
>>379125654
Pokemon is just glorified rock paper scissors.
There's really no excuse for the battle mechanic not being in real time at this point.
>>
>>379127491
There's a middle ground between the ease of the main story and the ultimate endgame challenge mode or self imposed challenges. When I'm referring to a harder mode I'm talking about very basic shit like enemies who arent constantly underleveled and more thoughtful boss fights, not autism simulators. Playing through a 30-something hour game waiting to gain access to interesting content after the credits roll is beyond boring.

This isnt an unreasonable request either giveb Gamefreak experimented with stuff like this in the DS games, despite being poorly handled. But instead of fleshing it out they dropped the feature like they do with everything, and thats a shame.

I don't see the issues you're having with this.
>>
File: hex maniac.jpg (102KB, 565x652px) Image search: [Google]
hex maniac.jpg
102KB, 565x652px
>>379127260
>who doesn't pop a stiffy over 90% of the female characters in the games

I'm almost ashamed of masturbating to Misty in the 90s. Children's cartoons are getting sexier, and that's pretty cool.
>>
File: Wes.png (122KB, 246x326px) Image search: [Google]
Wes.png
122KB, 246x326px
>>379127260
They did that once with Pokemon Colosseum and it was the greatest thing ever, but for some reason they went back to a kid for the sequel.
>>
>>379125654
>Use right attack against right opponent = pretty much defeat them in one hit is so boring

The multiplayer doesn't really pan out like this anymore. Occasionally you'll get a sweep going with Dragon Dance or something but your typical battle is a lot of whittling down followed by finishing off weakened mons with your fast mons or priority moves.
>>
>>379128278
You're the one having issues with the game.
>constantly underleveled
If you grind like a moron, I was always some levels behind in latest moon run.
>more thoughtful boss fights
So like the battle tree/maison?
>Playing through a 30-something hour game
It take less than 10 hours to beat most pokemon games, even the latest ones, yet you achieve 400+ Hrs of playing thru multiplayer or endgames challenges. Wich you probably didn't finished as I stated before.
>>
>>379125654
>turn based combat s-
Just fucking kill yourself you underaged trash.
>>
play competitive pokemon
that shit is wild
>>
It;s all about that mystery dungeon
>>
>>379128693
>If you grind like a moron
Unless something changed since I stopped playing the games during Gen 6 i have yet to play a single game where you're main team isn't regularly higher than the opponents assuming you're actually fighting every trainer and doing sidequests. The only time you'll be fighting an uphill battle is if you're rotating a team larger than 6 without grinding or if you're flying through the game skipping everything.

I've already commented on the maison. It'd be great if they could extend that quality to the rest of the game instead of pigeonholing it into one corner of the map and making the other 90% of the games content a breeze.

The comment that the games are less than ten hours is fucking absurd and an outright lie. Especially in the recent games where you'll spend that amount of time in story cutscenes alone. Each game averages out to around 25-35 hours for the average playthrough, and frankly its tiring going through the motions for that long every new generation.

You have yet to even say why a fleshed out version of Gen 5's difficulty settings is even a bad idea beyond "go play romhacks and get back to Smogon." Even something as making increasing amount of tutorials optional would go a long as way.
>>
>>379129784
t. someone who hasn't discovered that you can turn off the exp-share
>>
>>379129784
>Unless something changed since I stopped playing the games during Gen 6 i have yet to play a single game where you're main team isn't regularly higher than the opponents assuming you're actually fighting every trainer and doing sidequests
You will be underleveled in SM if you turn off the EXP Share and train a full team of six. My team was ~5 levels lower than the E4 when I finished it for the first time.
>>
File: 1495923879806.png (126KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
1495923879806.png
126KB, 500x491px
>>379125654
>Why do people enjoy this boring as fuck who wants to be a millionaire format combat?
What did he actually mean by this?
>>
>"I don't like thing, it shouldn't exist"

Hello SJW.
>>
>>379128002
Fucking kill yourself. Trash people like you are the reason the world today is a joyless pot of cynicism.
>>
>>379129784
>I fight every trainer and sidequest and then I complain about being so many levels above instead of just going to the main story objectives
ayy
>I never beated the maison or stadium games yet I complain about not having enough challenge in pokemon
lmao
>>
>>379130137
Epic!
>>
>>379129920
Modern exp share didn't exist pre-X and Y, and I just said I stopped playing the series with their release. Read what you're replying to instead of dismissing everything with bullshit.

Are Sun and Moon designed around using the exp share, with turning it off functionally being a challenge run? If that's the case I'll gladly retract a lot of my previous issues, since the impression I got from X and Y was that it was simply a crutch for first-timers players and having it turned off was the usual Pokemon fare. Integrating the exp share as a difficulty toggle is actually a pretty clever idea.
>>
>>379130492
Every other rpg on the planet assumes you fight every battle along the way, with avoiding everything generally fucking you over by leaving you severely underleveled.

If not running from every fight does the opposite in Pokemon that's terrible game design.
>>
>tell people who hate the "Mash A to win" formula to play games like Etrian Odyssey
>they complain it's too difficult and requires grinding

In short, retards who don't know how to play or enjoy RPGs.
>>
>>379129072
No its not, they only use about 10 different smogon pokemon
>>
>>379127260
XY had late teen protagonists. BW/BW2 had mid teen protags.
>>
>>379125654
Has any game done turn-based better than Child of Light?
>>
>>379131885
pretty much every proper roguelike
>>
>>379131257
>Every other rpg on the planet assumes you fight every battle along the way
Like Mario & Luigi, Mario RPG, Paper Mario? Oh wait, you don't need to fight every enemy...
Like Most Final Fantasy? Oh wait, you don't need to fight every enemy...
Like Chrono Trigger/ Cross? Oh wait, you don't need to fight every enemy...
Like Persona Games? Oh wait, you don't need to fight every enemy...
>>
File: 1425894474866.jpg (47KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1425894474866.jpg
47KB, 500x400px
As long as it isn't an Action RPG because those are mostly shit. Straight up action game with only that in mind? Would be good.
>>
I never understood the action RPG meme with action commands and action bars. I dunno, I play RPGs for strategy, not so I'm forced to scroll through menus as fast as possible.

If I wanted to play an action game I'd play a fucking action game.
>>
>>379125654
It's too bad the genre won't live, then again, who does.
>queue cheesy vangelis saxophone
anyone else excited for 2049?
>>
>>379132309
You're taking my wording far too literally, to the point im sure you're shitposting.

Yes, in most those games if youre intentionally avoiding tons of encounters you'll generally end up underleveled. You're not supposed to speedrun through the game and only tackle major story content. You will not beat FF6 your first time through skipping most of the World of Ruin, you will not beat Dragon Quest 3 without exploring Alefgard to some degree, you will not likely not be at the expected level to beat Lavos core right after Crono is revived without doing any of the sidequests or doing the Black Omen, Cross doesn't even have a traditional exp system so you're retarded for using that as a comparison. The Mario RPGs are an exception since all of them post-M&L1 have some method of negating all damage every turn thats easily abusable.

But by your own admission the Pokemon series overlevels you if you bother doing anything the game presents to you outside of required areas and battles. That is bad design, because it doesn't punish players who avoid combat and don't explore. It just hurts the experience for ones who actually do play as intended. And trainer battles are inherently different from random encounters, they are scripted battles intentionally placed along your path by the designers that you are encouraged to engage with. They are not equivalent to grinding.
>>
>>379132309

Every single game you listed assumed you'd fight most enemies, anon. They have a run-away mechanic for backtracking or if you just don't like the gameplay.

I mean fuck, you're saying developers intended for you to not play the game?
>>
>>379133770
>That is bad design
That is just your """""OPINION""""" man, like, in all those other post you try to ignore, the "hard" place you seek is at the end of the game, something you didn't beat yet you critize the entire game based on just the single player story even when you have the choice to make it more "hard" by just turning off the exp share.
So no, your "opionion" is just shit and you clearly haven't fully played most pokemon games to date.
>>
You already have a board to complain about this game. Go there for it, there's plenty of other people like you that hate on the games and still buy them due to the fact that it's new content anyways

>>>/vp/
>>
>>379134167
>the "hard" place you seek is at the end of the game, something you didn't beat yet you critize the entire game based on just the single player story even when you have the choice to make it more "hard" by just turning off the exp share.

If you're going to actively ignore every previous post I've made in this thread then fuck off to /vp/ and enjoy your circlejerk.
You're clearly not interested in discussing anything and I'm too tired to reiterate the same things over and over again.
>>
>>379134514
Thanks for proving my point, you don't actively beat the games to the fullest yet you claim they need more challenge.
You're welcome, maybe /vp/ is more suited to autist like you that need a harder difficulty on a kid's game.
>>
File: rock cock.jpg (193KB, 1843x2048px) Image search: [Google]
rock cock.jpg
193KB, 1843x2048px
The handheld Pokemon games with the campaign and everything are pretty boring, as the main quest having no challenge whatsoever, and the AI isn't that good in general. The console games (Stadium, Stadium 2 and PBR) all have more options when it comes to battling, and have pretty fair fights where both you and your opponent are evenly matched in level, and if you want to challenge yourself you can use the Pokemon the game gives you instead of grinding for them and plowing through.

The problem with both of the games comes in the form of its AI, or lack of. The computer opponents absolutely refuse to switch out Pokemon, and even when they're given complex and overall very good sets, they don't know how to perform it properly, especially in the handheld games. The console games can handle things a bit better, like using Hypnosis+Dream Eater or Skill Swap on a Slaking. In the handheld games, the AI would counter this by making sure the probability was against you most of the time, while in the console games, the AI would either make a decision after figuring out what you did on your turn, or flat out cheat, with Mewtwo never losing PP.
>>
File: 1494801288115.png (9KB, 726x590px) Image search: [Google]
1494801288115.png
9KB, 726x590px
>>
Discussion of the Pokemon video games is allowed on /v/

Now onto the actual topic.

If you're one-shotting things in game, you are overlevelled. The same is true for pretty much any turn-based RPG. Maybe you just don't like the Genre.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.