[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is one of a very small number of original first-party Nintendo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 21

File: super-mario-odyssey-trailer-00.jpg (426KB, 960x576px) Image search: [Google]
super-mario-odyssey-trailer-00.jpg
426KB, 960x576px
This is one of a very small number of original first-party Nintendo games (i.e. not rereleases of a Wii U game) to look forward to on the Nintendo Switch.

Is putting so much money into console R&D and manufacturing taking away from their resources to produce original titles? If so, is Nintendo going third party really such a bad idea for the grand scheme of things?
>>
HD gaming is dragging everything down. Not just Nintendo. Iwata said they'd focus on "fewer" games that would get added to with DLC along with re-releases.
>>
>>379054595
>making a shit thread like this a week before e3
>>
>>379054595
>Putting the most money and the best resources into the next mainline Mario title

All is right in the world.
>>
>>379054714
This.
>>
>>379054714
That's certainly true across the board with many developers, but the problem is that those developers are third parties who aren't restricted to a specific brand. The point of Nintendo's brand is how good their own games are, but couldn't they afford to produce a lot more new games if they weren't pouring resources into these consoles that don't really have merit besides being the only ones that have Nintendo made games on them?
>>
>>379055015
No. Console R&D is completely separate from games.
>>
>>379055296
It's hard to call it completely separate when it's all within the Nintendo umbrella. It's like, Nintendo could cut out console R&D and it isn't like that money would just disappear. It would be that much more money to put into game development, which is my point.
>>
>>379055387
Console R&D also generates revenue though, so yeah, that money would just disappear
>>
File: videotogif_2017.06.01_18.47.13.gif (2MB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
videotogif_2017.06.01_18.47.13.gif
2MB, 450x253px
Soon
>>
>>379054595
Yeah, it is. The second Nintendo goes third-party, it'll become a mobile developer. You won't get a 4K Mario/Zelda/Smash on a Playstation or high-end PC, and I'm sure you're fantasizing about that.
>>
>>379055456
It depends! You make it sound like Nintendo games produced for a non-Nintendo platform wouldn't make revenue. This is what I'm saying: the Switch, so far, hardly has anything worth playing or looking forward to on it that isn't a Wii U game or rerelease of something already out. This seems at least to some extent to be evidence that the production of the Switch has been taking away from Nintendo's ability to produce original first-party games for it, no? And so if that's the case, if Nintendo went third-party and didn't have to worry about devoting costs to console manufacturing and could just go all-in with producing games, they could make more and that would be a win for everybody, right?
>>
>>379054595
>a Wii U game
what the hell is a WiiU
>>
>>379055015
>f they weren't pouring resources into these consoles that don't really have merit besides being the only ones that have Nintendo made games on them?
I'd say that being the only handheld console for the foreseeable future is somewhat of a merit.
>>
>>379054595
> Switch out of stock all over the world
> Fuck it, its time to go third party
>>
>>379055798
Except it's really only wasted money when the console isn't doing so well. If the Switch is the Wii-tier success it's looking to be then it'll definitely be better for Nintendo to make consoles as that'll give them additional revenue, more than what was put into console R&D to begin with.

You're also forgetting other costs, like manufacturer's cut, and also the fact that developing a game for PC would take twice as long as it would for the Switch, so redirecting funds would be moot.
>>
>>379055730
I'm not talking about a PC fag who wants his high end graphics fetish fully realized with Link or Mario on the screen. I'm talking about it looking like Nintendo is struggling to put out original titles right now, most likely because of all the resources they have devoted to console development, and thinking, "hey, if Nintendo went third party and didn't have to worry about putting money into console development, doesn't that mean they could afford to put more resources towards game development and make more new games"? Because frankly, the fact that the current big release for the Switch is a port of a Mario Kart they put out two years ago is kind of sad.

I'm not shit talking the company. I had a subscription to Nintendo Power for like, five years. I loved the N64 and defended the Gamecube to hell and back on message boards back in the early 2000s. But at this point it's like...okay, you have nothing going for your console business other than the fact that it's the only one that has Nintendo games. And that's great! I'm all for Nintendo making money. But I'm noticing now, it seems like Nintendo is putting out less and less original games (especially with all these rumors of the next Smash Bros. being just a rerelease of Smash 4, which seems very likely). So it's like, okay, you seem to be having some trouble producing all-new installments to the beloved franchises that compel people to buy these systems in the first place. So, if you can produce more of these games, more reliably, and have more people play them because they can do so on consoles they already want to buy with or without Nintendo games being on them...what exactly is the harm, again?
>>
>>379055798
>his seems at least to some extent to be evidence that the production of the Switch has been taking away from Nintendo's ability to produce original first-party games for it, no?

No it doesn't. Look at what the Wii launch was like. Twlight Princess and Wii Sports. Wii U was Nintendoland and New Super Mario Bros. U.

Look at the Xbox One or PS4 launch. Barely any first-person games and the few they had at launch were all pretty mediocre.

I'm not saying the Switch has a great launch, it's admittedly pretty slow, but it's not that much slower than any of their previous launches or the launches of their competitors hardware.
>>
>>379056037
>complaining about them not having announced any games when e3 is literally a fucking week away
>>
>>379054595
>Is putting so much money into console R&D and manufacturing taking away from their resources to produce original titles
SEGA proves this is false.
>>
>>379054595
going third party would only rise the development cost since they would have to make the same game for more systems, plus the games wouldn't be as good as they currently are because they wouldn't be optimized for the hardware they would run on...
>>
>>379056037
>Nintendo is struggling to put out original titles right now
>literally the best first year line up compared to Wii U, PS4 and Xbone
What?
>>
>>379055876
It's not out of stock. It's being sold in all sorts of places except for a far higher price than MSRP because "stock is so low." Ordering a Switch online is easy if you're willing to spend $400.

>>379056128
You might have a point. It's very early in the console's life cycle, and E3 hasn't even happened yet... But man. I've been a Nintendo fanboy since my preteens and I'm kind of getting sick of this. It's like, "you'll want to buy this system if you want the next [beloved Nintendo franchise] despite the gap a half of a dozen years before release, but to keep up with anything else in video games, you have to buy another console." The Switch might be selling like mad for its successful advertisement but its games lineup is a fucking joke so far. Its main launch title is a game that's also on Wii U. The current hot game for it is also a rerelease of a Wii U game. The up and coming releases for it at this point are a potentail re release of a Wii U game and a sequel to the same (Splatoon). At this point I have to wonder, is Nintendo going third party really such a bad idea FOR THE AUDIENCE? Yeah, you can talk about all the money they're "losing" from console sales, but you also conveniently forget how literally MILLIONS more people would pay to play their games on other consoles without them having to devote costs to develop systems that have no purpose other than playing Nintendo games.
>>
>>379054595
No would be great idea
>>
>>379056443
It is out of stock at legitimate vendors.*
>>
>>379056443
>The Switch might be selling like mad for its successful advertisement but its games lineup is a fucking joke so far
Compare it to the first year of PS4/Xbone, the Switch easily wins
>>
>>379056614
The first result for a search on Amazon is a *NEW* release of the new Joycon colors at $427. There isn't actually a shortage of available Switches, it's a publicity excuse for Nintendo to charge far more than their own supposed MSRP and make a much better return.

So if Nintendo's primary business model is to jew the consumer out of more money for what they advertise as being much cheaper than what they actually charge, what's exactly the harm in Nintendo not manufacturing consoles?
>>
>>379056834
Scalpers are not legitimate vendors.
>>
>>379056834
Do you even know how stupid you are?
>>
>>379056881
I wasn't aware scalpers could sell products on Amazon as being brand new.
>>
>>379056443
I really hope to God you're not implying that Mario Odyssey must've been initially a wiiu game or something, cause what we've seen in the trailer alone looks a fuckton better than anything in 3D World
>>
>>379057103
Anon...
>>
>>379057103
>seriously being this fucking retarded
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Marketplace
>>
>>379057103
Scalpers can sell their own brand-new items as brand-new on Amazon, yes.
>>
>>379057103
/v/ is the dumbest board on 4chan
>>
>>379057208
>calls me retarded
>has to prove what's supposedly common knowledge by linking a wiki article

Come the fuck on, I'm sure plenty of people associate "new" with "direct from the manufacturer." I'm embarrassed as hell, but honestly, you're playing this up to detract from my original point.

Let's say Nintendo announced they're putting games out on other systems in the middle of the Switch life cycle. You have a Switch, you can play them just fine, but now people who bought other systems can play them as well. Would this be a problem? Would you feel like you bought a Switch for nothing?
>>
>>379057568
No anon, you're just dumb.
>>
>>379054595
No. Having a console weaker then a toaster laptop is what results in fewer games since no one wants to develop for it.
>>
File: 1495995335131.png (171KB, 270x338px) Image search: [Google]
1495995335131.png
171KB, 270x338px
WiiU is a failed console that had potential money makers locked to it, I assume that Nintendo is producing less original titles to make Deluxe versions of WiiU games that will produce more money than WiiU versions.
>>
>>379057568
No, what is happening is that we no longer believe you are intelligent enough to have anything of worth to say since we have found cases where you are clearly underage
>>
>>379057670
>I assume that Nintendo is producing less original titles to make Deluxe versions of WiiU games that will produce more money than WiiU versions.
God I hope not
>>
File: romero_carmack_mariodemo-X2[1].jpg (288KB, 1280x861px) Image search: [Google]
romero_carmack_mariodemo-X2[1].jpg
288KB, 1280x861px
>>379054714
True.

Id Software stomped out 12 games during their first year, and those games were varying degrees of good to really good. Certainly worth their money. They were just 4 guys.

Bonus: When Nintendo asked them to port DOOM to the SNES as fast as possible, they had no experience with the system, had to read into it first and learn how it worked.
Porting the game took them 2 Weeks

I know you can't compare the likes of Romero or Carmack to most people, but damn.

pic related is where they programmed in the early days during summer
>>
>>379054595
>, is Nintendo going third party really such a bad idea for the grand scheme of things?
come on sony friend, stop bein bitter sweet and buy a switch
>>
File: 1494871935189.jpg (35KB, 369x387px) Image search: [Google]
1494871935189.jpg
35KB, 369x387px
>>379054714
>B-B-BUT HD GAMING

Sony, Square and even Capcom had zero problems in either generation, yet Nintendo (whom fans claim are the richest and most profitable company there is) simply cannot

The most genius game designers and programmers of the industry, the best artists and coders, they simply cannot comprehend how to render an empty field or how to make party chat work

Clearly this is the fault of everyone else, Nintendo are perfect and without a fault
>>
File: 1401936297182.jpg (100KB, 947x269px) Image search: [Google]
1401936297182.jpg
100KB, 947x269px
>>379056443
>The Switch might be selling like mad for its successful advertisement but its games lineup is a fucking joke so far.
so history do repeat itself?
>>
>>379057280
we are the unfiltered garbage can and some how we manage to still be better than Neogaf
>>
>>379054595
>is Nintendo going third party really such a bad idea for the grand scheme of things?
Yeah. You end up screwing over the fanbase who now have to buy multiple company's systems to get their games.
>>
>>379057670
That's not how it works. Ports don't take up the equivalent development resources of new games. For example, Switch has Mario Kart 8 Deluxe instead of a brand-new Mario Kart, but the Mario Kart team is developing Arms instead.
>>
>>379057974
>Sony, Square and even Capcom had zero problems in either generation
>pepe
>being this retarded
>>
>>379057974
Sony, Square, and Capcom have all had major issues with HD generations. Sony completely fucked up the PS3 architecture, so now backwards compatibility is streaming. The Last Guardian got delayed until the next console. Same with Final Fantasy Versus XIII / XV. Capcom are meeting none of their performance goals.
>>
>>379058104
and dont forget VII remake and KH III will be moved to 9th gen
>>
>>379054595
Nobody bought a wiiu
>>
>>379054714
It's not like Nintendo can't afford the manpower, they've let countless studios slip through their fingers, could have brought fatlus, could have brought thq, could have brought eidos, but they didn't. I think the only explanation is the issue that if Nintendo did there's a chance that they'd have all their bases covered and third party would have no real inways into their consumer base, If I were them I'd just buy Capcom, Konami, Platinum and KT and do exactly that, I'd never run out of IPs, I'd become immortal.
>>
Ya know, this didn't stop sony from releasing the ps4 when the ps3 was literally only remakes of ps2 or ps1 games.

Why doesn't sony go 3rd party?
because they don't make any games
>>
There is a major Nintendo first-party release each month for the remainder of the year, you are retarded.
>>
>>379056037
Holy shit just buy a switch already
>>
>>379058262
Because their games have no appeal outside of their core fanboys.
>>
>>379057974
That's some pretty funny revisionist history right there
>>
>>379056037
>Nintendo is struggling to put out original titles right now, most likely because of all the resources they have devoted to console development
This is the single stupidest comment of all time on /v/.

No one can actually be this retard and think that hardware development somehow takes major time from software development. Only thing the devs had to do was learn Unreal Engine and tell Nintendo what they'd want from their new hardware, Nintendo doesn't tell their 1st party dev team to stop working on a new Mario game so they can somehow work on a new console, shit doesn't work that way at all.
>>
>Splatoon 2
>Arms.
>Odyssey
>>
>>379058495
>FE: Warriors
>Xenoblade Chronicles 2
>>
>>379058353
Yeah, you geniuses deciphered it, I really do want to buy a Switch! Because I'm a fan of Nintendo games like I've said this whole fucking thread. And yet I'm also a fan of other games and don't feel like dropping $300+ to play just Nintendo games especially when most of them are from the failed system they already put out. I would like to save a few hundreds of dollars for other systems with many more games that I would like to play.

You console war Nintendo fans seem to think it's all about talking shit about Nintendo in the name of some other brand. Wake up to the real world. I have fucking bills to pay. I love Nintendo games; I'd like to have a decent enough of a number of them to justify a Nintendo made console, and when I see there aren't enough of those games, I seriously wonder how Nintendo going 3rd party is such a bad thing when it could mean having more of those games and letting more of those people play them.

Could a fanboy explain the counterpoint to this without bringing up how their dev-fu would "lose revenue" despite it not affecting them in the slightest?
>>
>>379058495
>full price expansion pack
>wiiu boxing rehash
>casual bullshit
Don't count lol
>>
>>379054595
If Nintendo wasn't developing for their own hardware they would be developing on a much higher graphical standard, you might actually be retarded.
>>
>>379057670>>379057739
>I assume that Nintendo is producing less original titles to make Deluxe versions of WiiU games that will produce more money than WiiU versions.

God, I hope so. Imagine Bayo 1&2, #FE or maybe a comfy Color Splash on the go.

And yes, fuck you, CS isn't deep, but it's a comfy and simple adventure, I had Monster Hunter for fucking my shit up.
>>
>>379058372
thats just because most people these days absolutely hate good gameplay
>>
>>379058574
>I really do want to buy a switch

Well then why haven't you yet?
>>
>>379058574
There's literally one port man.
>>
File: 1439698722312.jpg (644KB, 1050x1485px) Image search: [Google]
1439698722312.jpg
644KB, 1050x1485px
>>379054595

>Zelda
>Disgaea 5
>Monster Hunter
>Mario

As long as MHXX gets a US release I'm good all fucking year.
>>
>>379058594
>full price expansion pack
New game modes
entirely new horde mode
new single player campaign and story
new hub area
new character customization options
totally new weapons.
Yeah. Totally just an expansion pack.
>>
>>379058594
>calling 3D mario casual

It's masterful game design where even a little kid can pick up a controller and have fun, but even adults have a hard time to git gud.

Just look at SM64. It was super fun as a kid, but I never could beat it until I was in my late teens.
>>
>>379058594
>>full price expansion pack
2 years later and Splatoon salt keep delivering
>>
>>379057841
Poor Carmack is now getting his ass sued because he followed the VR meme.
>>
>>379058594
>>wiiu boxing rehash
This is how we spot literal pieces of salt around here
>>
>>379058002
>It's okay when Sony does it!
>>
>>379056037
There's literally an original title coming out the week after next and Nintendo has a game an exclusive every month for the rest of the year.

Nice bait I guess.

>don't have to worry about putting money into console development

Okay here's the core of your bait, Nintendo doesn't have money issues, and they have dedicated hardware staff who only understand and make hardware, Nintendo are not releasing less games or losing out anything because they make hardware.

>>379058626
>most people

Sony's core fanbase is only around 10 million big, I wouldn't call that most people.
>>
File: 1458438431631.jpg (20KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
1458438431631.jpg
20KB, 343x343px
>>379056037

>mfw the Switch already has more worthwhile games and PS4 or Xbone

I still need to play Bloodborne though.
>>
>>379057974
>Sony, Square and even Capcom had zero problems in either generation
Did you come from a different universe? Because they all had issues as well
>>
>>379058791
ffs I'm not baiting, I like Nintendo as a company and would like them making MORE money, as in more money to make more good games, which I think is a viable outcome of them not having to manufacture consoles, and would make them more money in return from the expanded audience

this is some GameFAQs console wars bullshit, am I really not making this clear? because I've said it like four times
>>
File: ss (2017-01-31 at 12.01.29).jpg (110KB, 303x536px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-01-31 at 12.01.29).jpg
110KB, 303x536px
>>379058908
>and would like them making MORE money

>More Money
>goint 3rd party
>having to pay dev kits
>having to pay royalties
>having to pay licensing fess
>More Money
>>
>>379058908
This is where your thinking is wrong. Nintendo as a company is incentivized by their hardware in order to make good software. They know that the hardware can't succeed without quality software. You wouldn't be seeing Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of The Wild on PS4, you'd be seeing Super Mario Run 2 on IOS.
>>
>>379058908
Expanded audience means they're only one of the tons of third party devs, who have to pay royalities and deal with whatever bullshit Sony/MS does. Not to mention making games for their systems costs a few times more. Why would they cut their hardware sales, brand, Amiibo AND pay more to develop games?
>>
>>379058812
Bloodborne, Nier and the Gravity Rush games are whats mainly tempting me on getting a PS4.
>>
>>379058574
Sega did not enter a game development or business renaissance after they went third party and started making their games for other consoles.
>>
>>379058908
Why can't we apply that same logic to Sony? Why doesn't Sony drop out of the hardware market and make games for Switch and Xbox? Why doesn't Microsoft drop out and make games for Switch and PS4?
>>
>>379058831
Nintendo actually said something about being over those issues, I don't get why people are saying that this is a struggle, Nintendo has what 4 first party games for the second half of the year and E3 hasn't even hit, and the console just released, it's not looking at all bad, and with say Int Sys, Grezzo, Hal, Camelot, Arzest and some of Nintendo's own internal studios putting out their last 3ds games this year and jumping to Switch development is only going to speed up.

>>379058908
This is bait, Nintendo has more to gain if they control the platform themselves, Nintendo made more in a single year of the Wii than Sony has made from the PS4's entire lifetime. I think maybe 2 years of the Wii is the PS2's entire lifetime, and I think all years of the Wii is Sony's entire Playstation divisions lifetime.
>>
>>379059136
Microsoft makes games? Could have fooled me, I haven't seen any worthwhile exclusive since Killer Fucking Instinct.
>>
>>379059136
>Why doesn't Microsoft drop out and make games for Switch and PS4?
What games?? their 1st party lines are a complete unaltered joke. only like 1 Game per gen makes fuzz and thats it. 90% of people that buy PS4 / Xbox is for the 3rd party normie shit like CoD or Fifa
>>
>>379059136
Microsoft uses Xbone as a part of their Windows 10 brand, promoting the deal to buy games on their weaker hardware, but also get a free superior PC experience if you want.

Sony depends on their console brand and has a ton of money in it, while also being successful in each generation, so devs listen to them - they get all the western and Japanese releases. There's no point for them in going third party if the PS brand is so strong.

Nintendo has IPs worth the most out of anyone else. They have consoles just for their IPs and people buy that shit - people buy whatever handheld Nintendo makes for Pokemon, they get consoles for Mario, Zelda or Kirby.

Microsoft is cross promotion of W10, Sony is the tie between Japan and west, Nintendo is strong IPs.

That's it. If anyone deciided to bail, it'll be MS if they decide their Windows Store is shit - if anything, I'd see them maybe trying to talk to Valve about developing an Xbox console with Steam on it, buying console games with free PC Steam versions and getting rid of the Windows Store.
>>
>>379059136
This argument doesn't apply because the vast majority of games in the entire market are shared between those platforms. What Sony-made or Microsoft-made games would be added to the Switch library if you wanted to make this a converse argument? None, because they're the providers of a platform and little else. And yet that's enough. Meanwhile, Nintendo devotes all of its company resources to making systems and making games that are only going to be on their own systems. And thus far, the games they've made are less than original, lending the impression they don't have the resources to make a brand new Mario Kart (rereleasing Mario Kart 8) or a brand new Smash (rumors of rereleasing Smash Bros. 4) early into the console life cycle like they did with the N64 and Gamecube respectively. Are Switch console sales expected to last if this keeps up? Keep in mind the Wii U had a "shortage" at launch that was quickly forgotten when nothing noteworthy came out for it and it soon after became the bomb we know it as today.
>>
>>379059392
>Sony depends on their console brand and has a ton of money in it, while also being successful in each generation, so devs listen to them - they get all the western and Japanese releases. There's no point for them in going third party if the PS brand is so strong.
A) PS3 was the worst any hardware manufacturer EVER did. 7 fucking Billions looses in 5 years.

B) Devs dont listen to Sony, Sony, bends forwards and opens its butt to devs cause Sony is fully aware that their games are niche as fuck in the gran scheme, Nintendo without 3rd party is still Nintendo, Sony without 3rd party is nothing.
>>
>>379059536
K keep me posted
>>
>>379059536
What game shortage are you talking about? There's a major first-party Nintendo game releasing every month, not to mention lots of indie support and a medium amount of major third-party support for the remainder of the year.
>>
>>379059671
no anon, he is right, if a console dont get any single trash under the sun, its a shortage. we need gems like Prey so Switch will fail.
>>
File: 1495018333192.gif (185KB, 673x379px) Image search: [Google]
1495018333192.gif
185KB, 673x379px
>>379059207
>This is bait, Nintendo has more to gain if they control the platform themselves, Nintendo made more in a single year of the Wii than Sony has made from the PS4's entire lifetime. I think maybe 2 years of the Wii is the PS2's entire lifetime, and I think all years of the Wii is Sony's entire Playstation divisions lifetime.

Easily. Everything until the PS4 basically cancels each other out because the PS3 was such an abysmal failure, so it's really just the Wii vs. the PS4.
>>
>>379059536
Why are you complaining so much about ports when there's only one fucking port on the system right now, and it wasn't even developed by the Mario Kart team? The PS4 had infinitely more ports then the Switch had when it released. If you want to consider BOTW a port, then the majority of PS4's first 2 year lineup were also ports.
>>
>>379054595
>Is putting so much money into console R&D and manufacturing taking away from their resources to produce original titles?
HAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No.
If that was true the switch wouldnt have been awful when it launched.

BotW and their new titles are whats taking so long. BotW alone destroyed the switches launch by taking every damn QA department they could find and because of that we got a shit half broken underfeatured pos yet a decent game with havok physics that arent completely retarded.

Now that its all over everyone has been moved back to their proper teams so we can expect business as usual from them, hardware revisions new IPs and classic franchises.
>>
File: ss (2017-04-27 at 04.27.06).png (99KB, 1785x772px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-04-27 at 04.27.06).png
99KB, 1785x772px
>>379059207
im sure Nintendo has not have any problem making Money
>>
>>379059785
PS4 has no chance, to go anywhere near Wii profits, and that's with the goldmine of online subs which have a massive profit margin, Sony's Playstation division profits are in line with the money they make from Subs, I wonder why.
>>
>>379057974
fuck off retarded frogposter
>>
>>379059536
That's not very logical. Nintendo's platforms are the ones with unique offerings, so they should be the ones to go? It's more important to have two different consoles that are basically the same thing?

Mario Kart Deluxe was not released because the Mario Kart team was developing Switch hardware. That's not even remotely possible. The Mario Kart team was developing Arms, and now we have both Mario Kart and Arms on the Switch within just a few months from launch.

Nintendo's console development does not hinder their game development. It's the exact opposite. Using their own architecture and developing their own hardware for the concepts they have in mind makes development go much more smoothly for them.

Any shortage the Wii U had was only immediately after the launch. Demand for the Switch is still outpacing the production three months after launch. It's sold more quickly than the Wii, Nintendo's best selling console in their history. And it launched in March, when most other console launches it's being compared to were in the holiday season.

Nintendo has a steady line of game releases scheduled, and third-parties are actually making games this time. It's not a dead console by any stretch.
>>
>>379059974
>switch
>102 billion yen

>the fiscal year of the Switch's release cancelled out all the losses of the WiiU/3ds/new HQ.

I'm not attributing that all to the Switch though.
>>
File: Michael-Pachter.jpg (36KB, 600x270px) Image search: [Google]
Michael-Pachter.jpg
36KB, 600x270px
>>379055876
this sums up the whole thread.

Why the fuck would they go third party when they are profitable as FUCK from their hardware.

Go away Pachter you're embarrassing yourself again
>>
>>379060285
>I'm not attributing that all to the Switch though.
Switch helps boost the last Q, but most of that money is likely from teh sale of the Marines

also expect a lot of extra revenues in the form of royalties from the theme parks
>>
Personally I don't understand the Switch. It has the same problems the Wii-U had, except everyone is buying it anyway. I can't justify buying a console to myself if I can't buy a stack of three or four "must have" games for it when I first get it... are people justifying their $400-$600 purchases (because good luck finding a Switch, in the wild, for $299) on the basis of what is coming in a year or two? That would at least be more understandable than buying a machine to play Zelda when Zelda's already available on Wii-U.
>>
>>379060503
>It has the same problems the Wii-U had
No it doesn't
>>
>>379060503
Also why would you buy a game for a dead console over a new one?
>>
>>379060503
>It has the same problems the Wii-U had
why do sony friends like to bend reality??
>>
>>379060420
Yes, that makes sense, they made just under a billion, and the mariners sold for 661 million, so that's around 300 million from Switch, Pokemon Go and Pokemon Sun and Moon, overall though considering how light 2016 was that's not at all bad.

>>379060503
It's going to be worth it in less time than other systems, and it doesn't have the same problems as the WiiU.
>>
File: nintendo_switch_in_a_nutshell.png (2MB, 1001x1163px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo_switch_in_a_nutshell.png
2MB, 1001x1163px
>>379060620
Because they lost.
>>
>>379060531
In my opinion it does so far. The third party support just isn't there, for starters. I've seen the JPG of supposed third parties for the Switch this gen and so far, none have released anything of consequence for the system.

Specifically, the problems the two share are:
>Serious lack of third party support (The Nintendo Dilemma)
>Shitty online
>Expensive peripherals
>Physical DLC (amiibo)
>No ethernet port for the console. Meaning you have to buy a 3rd party Ethernet port.
>Extremely limited internal storage

And that's just what I can see without having one in my hands.
>>
>>379060613
>why would you buy a game for [less money] over [more money]?
>>
>>379060748
What are you talking about there's plenty of third party games on the system already...
>>
>>379060748
>>Serious lack of third party support (The Nintendo Dilemma)
>>Shitty online
>>Expensive peripherals
>>Physical DLC (amiibo)
>>No ethernet port for the console. Meaning you have to buy a 3rd party Ethernet port.
>>Extremely limited internal storage
>>
>>379054595
>Is putting so much money into console R&D
What console R&D?
>>
>>379060808
It's the same price on both systems, dude. Also, portability
>>
>>379060613
>Dead console
Typically this only matters when you're discussing online or something. Why would I care about the life-cycle of a console to play single player titles? That doesn't make any sense.
>>379060631
>It's going to be worth it in less time than other systems, and it doesn't have the same problems as the WiiU.
Except that in my opinion it very seriously does. Taking the console on its own merits, it doesn't seem worth it, and comparing it to Nintendo's past offerings I just don't understand the appeal beyond the portability. And supposedly, even that has brought hardware issues into the mix like bending switches and so forth.
>>
>>379060748
>>Serious lack of third party support (The Nintendo Dilemma)
what will we don with Prey, Oh the humanity

>>Shitty online
Better than PS4

>>Expensive peripherals
its sell at the price its worth, hell, Joy cons are sold at lost

>>Physical DLC (amiibo)
Implying

>>No ethernet port for the console. Meaning you have to buy a 3rd party Ethernet port.
WiiU had one, make up your mind anon

>>Extremely limited internal storage
at difference of PS4 and Xbone, Switch dont require games installed to circumvent disc reading speed problems
>>
>>379060954
>in my opinion
good your opinion is not a global measuring stick then also is a shitty opinion
>>
>>379060824
Even if that were true, it would be $10 more to get those games on Switch than other places. Also, I'm looking at the list of titles here
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-13-nintendo-switch-games-list-2017-release-dates

And I'm not really impressed.
>>
>>379060748
Seriously. Let's say that Nintendo makes good enough on the promise of their system to prove how much money it can make, but by putting out a shit load of bad games, like the Wii. Is that a success? Is giving a less preferable outcome to the consumer worth it because Nintendo could make more money?
>>
>>379054595
>Dixie St.
Get this fucking racist garbage off /v/
>>
>>379060954
Because switch will be getting games further into the future you dork
>>
>>379058236
it's quite possible they made offers to those companies and were rejected. If I were a major publisher like capcom I wouldn't want to be bought out for exclusivity on a platform, it'd result in far less revenue and may be too risky for business.
>>
>>379061051
Well sounds like the console is just not for you
>>
>>379054595
E3 is a few days away, idiot.
>>
>>379061062
Companies like Nintendo are beholden to only their stockholders. Vote with your wallet
>>
>>379058236
Why bother buying Capcom when they already make games on your platform? And what the fuck does Konami have that's worth any money today?
>I think the only explanation
Nintendo is smart with money and most companies aren't worth buying. They should have bought Atlus though.
>>
>>379054595
You aren't very bright if you think Nintendo would just have more money for making games if they weren't platform holders.
>>
>>379060978
>what will we don with Prey, Oh the humanity
uh buddy? Are you okay over there?

>>Better than PS4
That's a race-to-the-bottom attitude that has led to a lot of the problems the industry has to put up with today. Game consoles should strive to improve as a whole, not just one-up their competition. Nintendo's service isn't worth the money.

>>its sell at the price its worth, hell, Joy cons are sold at lost
I bought a new 360 controller with a wireless adapter for my PC for $40 yesterday, and on the same shelf was a pro controller for $70. That's ridiculous. If you want to pay that much for accessories, that's cool, and it's neat that you have so much love and affection for a company that you would support them in that way. But I personally wouldn't. I work really hard for my money. Not saying you don't, I'm just saying that compared to people who stand at cash registers and serve coffee for a living, I do back-breaking work to earn my dollars, and I resent spending my money accordingly.

>WiiU had one, make up your mind anon
No it didn't? I own a Wii-U and it certainly has no ethernet port...

>at difference of PS4 and Xbone, Switch dont require games installed to circumvent disc reading speed problems
It also means that if I want to download digital titles i have to purchase another External HDD because the one I own is chained to my Wii-U.
>>
>>379061349
>I bought a new 360 controller with a wireless adapter for my PC for $40 yesterday
360 controllers have been made for fucking 12 years now, of course they are cheaper
>>
>>379061062
Nintendo made many good games for the Wii. It was western third parties that put out a flood of bad games.
>>
>>379060836
>Meaning you have to...

No you don't.

And you don't need any of the peripherals. At all.
>>
>>379061551
>and you don't need any of the peripherals

This is just fucking bullshit. Are you saying that when Smash comes out that getting at least ONE pro controller (let alone several for local multiplayer) or a GC adapter wont' be necessary? Come the fuck on.
>>
File: 1284412656612s.jpg (7KB, 237x251px) Image search: [Google]
1284412656612s.jpg
7KB, 237x251px
>>379054595
>>379054714

While HD anon is correct, I think we still have to address the fact that Nintendo rushed the launch of the Switch to buoy the sagging Wii U sales.

Once E3 passes, there will hopefully be a lot more titles to look forward to. Hopefully.

Also, Nintendo has struggled to make new IPs for years now. Splatoon and any of the "Wii" titles (Wii Fit, Sports, etc.) were really lightning in a bottle. I'd be shocked if ARMS does well, even though it totally deserves to.

If Nintendo were smart and took advice from the fanbase and press, they would start licensing their IPs out again to other developers while bringing in more 2nd parties/fledgling developers in-house to come up with more games like Splatoon.

Hyrule Warriors was a huge success on the Wii U, and it wasn't far back that Namco made a Star Fox game, Team Ninja a Metroid, Sega an F=Zero, and so on. There's no reason they couldn't repeat that model so that developers like HAL and Intelligent Systems could work on new ideas or upstarts couldn't make the next big thing.

Also, it's a travesty that some of the more unique IPs Nintendo's released in the past decade like Rhythm Heaven and Codename Steam just sort of fell flat. They're sort of their own worst enemy in a sense. I feel like the history of Nintendo is littered with defeated, dead, or forgotten games that just get outsold by the Mario and Zelda titles people really look out for.

Sucks. I'd love to see a Codename Steam sequel or HD remake. That game was so much better than people give it credit for.
>>
>>379054595
There's a new mario game coming to wii u?
>>
>>379058029
That's because Neogaf IS filtered.
>>
File: 1345003556309.gif (2MB, 469x317px) Image search: [Google]
1345003556309.gif
2MB, 469x317px
>>379060503
All of this is correct.

But normies can play Mario Kart in their cars now. It doesn't matter that they could on the GBA or DS. It's a full-fledged, fleshed out, online capable Mario Kart. In their car. In HD.

That alone is a HUGE selling point for a lot of casual gamers.

A lot of people buy a Nintendo console for just a handful of games, unlike the PS4 and Xbone models of catering to "hardcore gamers." I've been gaming for nearly 30 years, mostly on Nintendo systems, and I think the only consoles I own more than 10 physical games for are my Gamecube and my NES. I don't even think I owned that many actual games for the Wii, though I know I downloaded a lot of games for both the Wii and Wii U. My 3DS is pathetic with only... 4 actual games, I think? The rest are just little downloads or free games I got through Club Nintendo.

Nobody buys a Nintendo console to have a massive library. They buy it for Nintendo games. It's not right and it's a terrible business model, but there ya go.
>>
>>379061804
>and it wasn't far back that Namco made a Star Fox game, Team Ninja a Metroid,
Yeah, because those games were seriously great
>Sega an F=Zero, and so on.
Because that team still exists today.
>released in the past decade like Rhythm Heaven and Codename Steam just sort of fell flat.
Rhythm Heaven got 3 sequels.
>>
>>379062083
I have around 20 games on my Wii U, 40 for my DS, 30 for 3DS and maybe 15 for Wii. What is your favourite genre if you only found 4 games you like on 3DS?
>>
>>379060503
>It has the same problems the Wii-U had, except everyone is buying it anyway.

You wanna know why?

Better marketing -- Nintendo made it clear that this is their brand spanking new thing. Part of the reason for the Wii U's anemic performance was that casuals thought it was just an unnecessary add-on to the Wii.

Portability -- This might not matter to you, but Japs can't get enough of their portable machines. They even prioritize portability over graphical fidelity, which is why even the runaway success that is the PS4 could never dislodge the 3DS there.
>>
>>379061665
Two Joycons function just as well as a Pro controller. There's the included grip if you want them in a single frame. It's perfectly comfortable. For local multiplayer, needing extra controllers is a normal thing that can't really be avoided. If you don't want to pay the full price of a controller, Hori's making a budget one for $30.
>>
Nintendo going third party is a bad idea because their games WILL suffer as a result

The issue is obvious really
Developing multiplat titles as a third party company requires many sacrifices to be made in more ways than just one

Nintendo games are basically the closest to "handcrafted" that video games can and possibly ever will get
Even games made by exactly one person or small "indie" developers almost always heavily rely on things made by other third parties to make their games and also typically make their games multiplat
This is of course usually due to budget constraints which also have many other far reaching consequences
The term "indie" is in fact just a clever marketing word that is used to trick consumers into believing games under this label must somehow have greater artistic or cultural merit or more creativity behind them when this is often just not the case
It just goes back to the classic folly of the human mind where people have a tendency to assume that if a person (or in this case video game developer) is poor they must have integrity and if they're rich they must not have any
The ultimate reality that some people might be unwilling to face is that Nintendo is actually the most independent (as in the literal dictionary definition of the word) of all game developers that are still around
And if they were to go third party this would eventually without a doubt destroy the tight knit, well oiled structure of the company that is afforded by this independence and allows them to operate the way that they do which of course allows them to produce the games that they do
>>
>>379061804
>Nintendo has struggled to make new IPs for years now
This is fuck a funny meme. They revived Fire Emblem in the west, Mystery Dungeon series, Pokken, ARMS, Splatoon, STEAM, revived Kid Icarus

They have a lot of new IPs, on top of their old ones. What new IPs did Sony develop, besides Gravity Rush and, well, Knack?
>>
File: eWkqQdG.gif (1MB, 304x168px) Image search: [Google]
eWkqQdG.gif
1MB, 304x168px
>>379062594
>What new IPs did Sony develop, besides Gravity Rush and, well, Knack?
Knack 2, baby
>>
File: 1495568225679.jpg (614KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1495568225679.jpg
614KB, 1600x1066px
>>379054595
Why does it look so ugly?
What's up with Nintendo using that clean, pixar 3D for literally every game they create now?

It looks so ugly and lazy, and then they proceed to take years to release one fucking game.
>>
>>379063072
that style is actually really hard to pull off, you may think it's ugly but it's far from lazy
>>
>>379063207
How is painted models with low detail textures and low poly count hard?
This is stuff you learn in a 2nd year 3D modelling school.

It's lazy as fuck, and they are managing to make all their games have this simple style to compliment the poor specs of their consoles.
>>
>>379063316
it can depend on the artstyle, but it's often harder to pull off since it adds limitations to what assets you can create. By comparison, on more powerful hardware you could get away with an unnecessarily high poly count without having to cut anything down in the process, meaning rounded objects are far easier to design.
>>
File: nxMBqb4.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
nxMBqb4.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>379063072
>Pixar 3D
>ugly and lazy
>>
>>379062210
>Yeah, because those games were seriously great
They were better than Color Splash and Federation Force. Different beasts, but you don't know until you try.
>>
>>379054595

The Switch came out just a few months ago, I mean holy shit what console had more than 10 first party games a few months after release? You guys are fucking idiotic.

They're not going 3rd party anytime soon, the switch is doing way too well for that.
>>
>>379066406
I think people forget just how bad other console launches are compared to the switch. It's usually take at least a year until they had a big hit game.
>>
>>379058769
What happened exactly?
>>
File: 10389158_orig.png (266KB, 504x302px) Image search: [Google]
10389158_orig.png
266KB, 504x302px
"So this is a first party game?"

"I can't think of any party that would want to play this, let alone one person!"
>>
>>379055631
Sequel
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.