[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some games that visually represent core game systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: ku-xlarge.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ku-xlarge.gif
2MB, 640x360px
What are some games that visually represent core game systems visually or in non traditional methods? Health/resource meters, inventory, status effects, maps. Stuff like that or whatever.

Someone mentioned once here that in racing games many players focus on the minimap instead of the road. Caused by the maps information being more useful than anything else the game let's the player view. Kind of what made me want to learn more about this.
>>
getting the babby example out of the way: Dead Space

Jurassic Park Trespasser had health as a tattoo on your breasts
>>
>>379032061
In Trespasser your health meter is on your character's tits. You look down to see how much HP you got left.
>>
>>379032061
Oh. In Trespasser you also hear your character say how much ammo she's got left. Same with that King Kong PS2 game.

"One bullet left."
>>
>>379032061

That one Wolverine third person game that showed your damage on your body as multiple wounds, and they would regen appropriately. I'm fairly sure there was no health bar in that game

>>379033363

This mechanic is in all of the Red Orchestra games and in some other realism mods like Project Reality for Battlefield 2. You hold a key and get "the magazine feels heavy", etc.
>>
>>379032061
Metro 2033 has some shit with your mask. Condensation and cracking or some shit. You can check your watch to see how much air you got left, I think.
>>
File: 7yZuOk.gif (686KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
7yZuOk.gif
686KB, 320x240px
No more room in hell is a bad game. You lost bullets if your reloaded a gun with shots remaining. So checking what's left could be done with a visual animation and a character voice line.
>>
A few games have where your character will maybe limp slightly or your screen will become saturated if you're low on health.
>>
>>379032061
The wyverns in Monster Hunter give visible signals when they're low on health. You gotta watch for them to limp or drool or whatever the fuck. Depends on the monster.
>>
>>379033802
Nice. As someone not autistic enough to compulsively reload, this excites me.
>>
Dead Space shows your health on your characters spine-part of the suit and the kinetic energy on the side of it
>>
>>379033863
>drool
this just means the monster is low on stamina but yeah the limping is solid
>>
>>379034146
dead space's spine display annoys me because it's obviously not for isaac to be able to see, it's on his back
>>
2017 PREY has your ammo count on the actual guns. It's holographic or whatever the fuck.
>>
Afro Samurai got more red the more damage he took, and his sword started to shine when the slowmo meter was full iirc. So so game, nice touch.
Styx measures how much your hidden in the shadows with your tattoo/scabbard in the second one.
Ghostbuster's backpack showed you info about your weapons (what you're using, how many ammo is left), with visual hints.
>>
>>379034460
It's a mining suit, space OSHA posters say "watch each other's backs! It could save a life!"
>>
>>379035270
Flimsy but believable.
>>
File: Dead_space_ship_sign_032-noscale.jpg (153KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
Dead_space_ship_sign_032-noscale.jpg
153KB, 1024x512px
>>379035270
I don't know much about Isaac's suit design. Being able to see other workers vitals in the dangerous work they do makes sense.

As long as Isaac has his own way of telling I like the design. Maybe he doesn't need to see it and can think getting hit with shit hurts.
>>
File: file.png (175KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
175KB, 480x360px
In minecraft, you can tell your dog's health by how high their tail is
>>
>>379032061
Still mad there was no way to check ammo in ranger hardcore.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCThInmzjXw
>>
File: 1468833043619.jpg (77KB, 453x671px) Image search: [Google]
1468833043619.jpg
77KB, 453x671px
What are games that actually implement the looking at witness holes? Condemned does this sort of but straight up tells you how many rounds you have in a mag.
>>
File: 1445048336383.jpg (193KB, 519x497px) Image search: [Google]
1445048336383.jpg
193KB, 519x497px
>>379035745
I think Isaac is more than capable of telling how injured his own body is without seeing some meter
>>
File: [Event0] TeeVee.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
[Event0] TeeVee.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>379036870
>>379036701
>>
>>379036870
I can tell how many rounds I have by how heavy the magazine is.
>>
File: clever girl.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
clever girl.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>379033203
>>
>>379032061
ALAN WAKE

Just enter the menu and turn off the HUD. It makes the game so much better and more immersive.
It's not even obvious lights on your back, like in Dead Space - It's sounds (like a rattling of the gun when the magazine is near empty, or a subtle beeping from the flash-light) and visual ques (like the flashlight flickering and fading) and it works perfectly!
>>
>>379036369
>no context sensitive indicators pop up either

I got stuck plenty of times because of how badly interactables are conveyed

how am I supposed to know I have to press E next to this random valve or lever that looks like every other valve or lever
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.