[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Never played a Persona or SMT game >In desperate need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

>Never played a Persona or SMT game
>In desperate need of game that provides a fuckton of hours of gameplay and I've played most of the large games out there now
>Have an autistic need to get everything right and 100% a game, feel like a sack of shit if I don't get everything in one or two runs
>Like social games and enjoyed the hell out of the social sections of Catherine
>Don't care about weeb shit

Should I get Persona 5? I don't understand how the hell the social links or the combat works, is it a ton of stuff to handle?
>>
>>379030607
Yes its a great game. Dont let /v/ meme you I actually played it through and ended in 92 hours whereas I couldnt get past 20 in FFXV
>>
Unless you follow a guide you definitely won't get 100% completion on your first playthrough, so a second will be needed if you go in blind.

Otherwise I'd say give it a try see if you like it
>>
You liked Catherine so yes.
If you like the gameplay pick up smt IV and IVA since it's almost pure gameplay but much better than one more
>>
>>379031008

Interesting. So SMT is basically the same gameplay as Persona without the social stuff?

What are your thoughts on P4 Golden as well? I've had a Vita I got from that Taco Bell competition gathering dust on my shelf since like 2013 and need a use for it.

>>379030798

Did you get near 100% with that time? What would you rate it on a scale of like 1-10?

>>379030896

If I followed a guide would I be following steps to the exact T or would I have room to explore?
>>
>>379030607
If that greentext is an accurate summary of you then fucking buy it already, it's practically made for you then

>>379031449
>If I followed a guide would I be following steps to the exact T or would I have room to explore?
Ever so slightly
>>
Absolutely, you'll be in for a treat since it will take you quite a while to get the platinum trophy. I do warn you though, going back and playing previous Persona and SMT games is going to be hard because of the sheer amount of quality of life improvements P5 brings. If you're going to use a guide I'll just say this, grind money of mementos bosses and pay the fortune teller to increase your social and confidant points more, if you do that you won't even need one trust me.
>>
>>379030607
Play persona 3/4 first. I will never understand you people who just want to jump into 5 and ruin the experience of the previous games. You can play them both on a vita/ps3 or they are easily emulated
>>
>>379030607
>Have an autistic need to get everything right and 100% a game, feel like a sack of shit if I don't get everything in one or two runs
Nope, you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>379031449
speaking as someone who just completed persona 5 with a guide, i felt that i had to follow the exact steps to a T. but you don't necessarily have to. using the guide i used on gamefaqs i had about two weeks of wiggle room at the end of the game after following the guide to a T and completing all social links and getting all the stuff i cared about.
>>
>>379031449
>Interesting. So SMT is basically the same gameplay as Persona without the social stuff?
Kind off
It's very similar, but smt has you build and create your entire party from your demons instead of just you with predesigned partners.
It's basically persona but more complex dungeons, more customization for team building, and a better combat system (press turn) that emphasizes strategy and sacrifices
>>
File: 1492466069282.jpg (21KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1492466069282.jpg
21KB, 240x240px
>>379032000
>Platinum Trophy
>Was annoyed as shit by Boat Palace since Futaba's Passionate Listener thing still hasn't popped up
>Decide to actually write down everything she says as I sweep up the palace
>By the 89th line, I hear the trophy pop
>All that's left is to max out the confidants and get Crystal Skull/Hope Diamond
>>
>>379032000
>going back and playing previous Persona and SMT games is going to be hard because of the sheer amount of quality of life improvements P5 brings
Only if he goes back before smt IV when it comes to SMT.
>>
>>379032165

Okay, cool. If I get it I'll save a 100% run following the guide for the very end.

>>379032213

Nice. I really don't care about the personalities of the party members so a game where I can build up my entire party from scratch sounds really nice.
>>
>>379032307
That's a lot of games. Nocturne, strange journey, dds 1 and 2, raidou, devil Survivor... It's always best to go in Chronological order
>>
File: 1494102019115.png (86KB, 308x248px) Image search: [Google]
1494102019115.png
86KB, 308x248px
>>379032307
which he should
>>
>>379032394
You'll really like SMT then. IV is a good starting point no matter what some nocturnals say. IV:A is better in every way combat and dungeon wise, but the story is still really enjoyable and you'll be lost as fuck if you play IV:A without IV
>>
You can't even 100% until you do New Game+ due to second playthrough exclusive content
>>
>>379032529

Awesome. Thank you for all the info.
>>
>>379032524
Well yea he should no matter what
But he can either start with P5 and go back, or start with MT and move up.
P5 and SMT IV are nice intros into the series that you can move from there.

Personally I'd do
P5 -> SMT IV -> IV:A -> P4G -> Nocturne -> P3 -> SMT SJ then just whatever you feel like after if I were to recommend a starting order for someone getting into the series. P5 is easily the most newbie friendly of MT right now, and IV is easily the most accessible when it comes to the more complicated MT mechanics.
>>
>>379032394
If you're feeling into party building more than collecting pokemon, checking out an Etrian game might also be a good idea.
>>
>>379032832
Going back to p3 after playing 5 fucking sucks though. All the little things like full party control, party member s links, choosing skills for fusions and other good stuff is gone. It's way better to play in release order
>>
>>379033001
Etrian is good but he shouldn't go into it expecting it to be anything like SMT. That's a different beast entirely.
>>
>>379030607
You can get everything in 2 runs blind.
>>
File: 1494000250905.jpg (641KB, 816x960px) Image search: [Google]
1494000250905.jpg
641KB, 816x960px
post futaba

stocking futabas would be especially nice
>>
>>379033080
Working your way back slowly you get used to it.
I bet less than 10% of /MTG/ started with a game released before Nocturne for example.
>>
>>379030607
>Don't care about weeb shit
>Should I get Persona 5?
No
>>
>>379033309
He played Catherine tho
>>
>>379033196
If you have the patience for that sure but not everyone does. I played smt iv before playing nocturne for example and I found that I enjoyed nocturne less than I should have because I knew how much better it could have been with some quality of life improvements
>>
>>379033636
But that's the thing.
It lets you appreciate the changes to the systems. Nocturnals for example are people that started with Nocturne when /v/ was in its big persona 4 phase, and they refuse to admit IV was a significant improvement
>>
File: hey im a phantom thief.jpg (212KB, 499x936px) Image search: [Google]
hey im a phantom thief.jpg
212KB, 499x936px
How did you guys feel about Ryuji as a character? He was one of the only characters who felt like an actual high schooler.

I thought he was great for the first chunk of the game, but he falls off of a cliff right around the Medjed drama. By the end of Shido's palace I thought he totally redeemed himself, though. I also enjoyed his social link.
I didn't like how he was the designated punching bag, though. He was perceptive enough to immediately pick up on Goro's pancake comment, so he definitely wasn't as stupid as everyone tells him he is.
I'd say his biggest problem is that he learns to mellow out in his social link, but he basically has to relearn this lesson when it comes to Phantom Thieves shit as the plot progressed.
>>
File: IMG_20170603_234811697.jpg (3MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170603_234811697.jpg
3MB, 2268x4032px
>>379030607
Yes, it's a great game. Its the first preorder I actually don't regret making. I've clocked ~115 hours with almost everything complete without a guide but inevitably, I couldn't finish a couple of links.
Great story with some lows in between but it's no biggie.
Gameplay is fun as hell and they treated hard mode pretty well too.
>>
Just got to the final dungeon at 116 hours.
I assume there's still 5 more hours to go.

It's a great game but the story is sometimes very very poor:
>Repetitious dialogue, "DO YOU THINK WE CHANGED HIS HEART??"
>Vague themes, like Shido and Tora's political ideals
>Questionable character motivations like the traitor and the Bank palace boss
>characters are way too wordy for being teenagers
>Futaba's very inconsistent personality
>rigid and poorly masked linearity presented through a cat that decides how you should live your life at all times

It has wonderful characters, incredible presentation and the best iteration of SMT combat though, it just occasionally fumbles the ball.
>>
File: merchant-chan.gif (3MB, 444x711px) Image search: [Google]
merchant-chan.gif
3MB, 444x711px
>>379033156
I want to lick her sweaty NEET feet!
>>
>>379035636
Shido's poltiical ideals were pretty clear to me anon.
>>
>>379035636
>best iteration of SMT combat

IV:A was better for me with how the bosses are designed purely on mechanics and the balanced mp cost on buffs and heals

I like P5's damage types though
>>
>>379035636
Still better than 4 though. Divided on it vs 3, 3 might not have had amazing combat but all the subtle stuff in it was great.
>>
>>379035880
>bosses are designed purely on mechanics and the balanced mp cost on buffs and heals
could you explain more? Is the combat much better? Thinking about picking this up but I thought IV was such a weak title
>>
File: 1475205320928.png (327KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1475205320928.png
327KB, 640x360px
/v/ you are but casual scum.
Why don't you play a REAL chin megoomy ten say game like nocturne or strange journey?
Persona 5 is a casualized dating sim that panders to lonely whyfufags
>>
File: latest-20.png (320KB, 1280x512px) Image search: [Google]
latest-20.png
320KB, 1280x512px
>>379034239
>That arsene
What thd fuck are you doing anon?
>>
>>379030607

Get it, and leave /v/ as soon as possible. Don't come back until your journey is complete.

It's worth it.
>>
>>379036786
These skills are just products of my sacrifices. I've got some decent skill cards like concentrate and debilitate that I plan to use later but I'm on the last day
>>
>>379030607
you sound socially inept and needy, nobody needs to hear your fucking life story faggot
>>
>>379036018
Not the same guy, but thsy added affinities, for example a jack frost with bufu has +3 ice affinity and -3 fire affinity.
That means bufu skills will cost les mp and do more damage, agi skills will cost more and do less damage making fusion and demon customization more interesting.
Also smirk isn't stupidly anymore the only thing it does is guarantee a crit magic skills included and some skills get an added effect if used with smirk.
For example trisagion has the effect that it has pierce when used with smirk.
The companions are mechanically way better than walter jonathan and Isabeau in IV.
Also they fixed str.
>>
>>379030607
I just bought it today despite never playing any SMT or Persona games in the past, and I think it's great. I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
>>379030607
it's a decent game. puzzles treat you like a retard. combat is piss easy. you get your own harem and the songs are nice. didn't like the social stuff. felt more like a checklist
>>
File: maxresdefault-20.jpg (274KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-20.jpg
274KB, 1280x720px
>>379037129
I am not talking about the skill set, which is a fucking disgrace on its own but nothing that can't be fixed. I am talking about that disgusting stat distribution.
It is not my build, but atleast make it more like this and focus one stat.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.